Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Coffee

Comments

• Options
    StubbleStubble Posts: 8,210 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Excellent Cup coffee has never let me down. Burr grinder, Chemex pour over method.

Hey, you gonna eat the rest of that corndog?
  • Options
    deadmandeadman Posts: 8,804 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’m sure if the coffee is bad enough that it could affect the cigar. I tend to stick with Ethiopian and Peruvian beans even the big store blends of these pair well IMHO

• Options
    StubbleStubble Posts: 8,210 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hey, you gonna eat the rest of that corndog?
  • Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 25,873 ✭✭✭✭✭

I haven't noticed any coffees that don't pair well with cigars, but it's an interesting thought. Do you have any notes on the coffee you were trying to pair that might help? How did the coffee taste?

I imagine that any coffee that tasted sour wouldn't pair well just based on my experiences trying to pair sour beers with cigars. I wouldn't think bitterness would be a problem, unless you're pairing a very bitter coffee with a very mild cigar. Hmm.

Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options
    avengethisavengethis Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭✭✭

There was one coffee I had that had a very strong strawberry note that just wouldn't jive with a cigar but other than that I have not had any issues.

Team O'Donnell FTW!

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke ever last one of 'em." - Ron White
  • Options

Yesterday's coffee, Colombia Ibagué Rio Combeima, had a bad off-taste to it. I think it was a bad bean that got into this batch because the other brews of this coffee have been fine.

Today's coffee, Ethiopia Sidama Shantawene Village, tastes great. The Wife came downstairs from her office to compliment me on the coffee and get a second cup, which really never happens.

Both these coffees were roasted without the help of a computer logging the profiles.

• Options
    jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭

^^^^^^. Those are pretty impressive, Chris. Do you have others?

• Options
    jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭

My stepdaughter tried to poison us, she bought us a can of Maxwell House.

• Options

Yes, I have several more, three more levers, a portable espresso maker that uses whipped cream chargers for pressure, and lots of other coffee toys.

These two have the most vintage bling.

• Options
    jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice. As I said, they’re quite impressive... thanks for showing them to us... 👍

• Options

I'm celebrating national coffee day at home today by doing what I do every day, drinking coffee. Happy national coffee day.

• Options
    CtheHamCtheHam Posts: 205 ✭✭✭✭

Wow. I thought I was fancy using my french press or making some cold brew on the weekends rather than using the Keurig like I do throughout the work week. LOL. For the "regular" coffee drinkers like myself, does anyone else enjoy the Black Rifle Coffee?

• Options
    WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,276 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CtheHam said:
    Wow. I thought I was fancy using my french press or making some cold brew on the weekends rather than using the Keurig like I do throughout the work week. LOL. For the "regular" coffee drinkers like myself, does anyone else enjoy the Black Rifle Coffee?

It makes a good cold brew. I find it way to bitter for regular coffee though.

"Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • Options

I brewed up a pot of the Colombia Ibague Rio Combeima I roasted this Sunday, it was fantastic. I took this to about a full city, at least 30 seconds past first crack.

• Options

Today I brewed a pot of blended coffee, 50/50 of the Ethiopia Dry Process Benti Nenka dropped during first crack and the Colombia Ibague Rio Combeima taken to full city. Both these coffees separately were great but the blend just wasn't as good.

• Options
    TX98Z28TX98Z28 Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭✭✭

I n4ed to order coffee from you Peter , don't let me forget, ill buy alot of the worlds beans.................yueah im trashed but seriously need to order coffee from you roster boss

If you quote me do the @TX98Z28 in your text or I won't be notified of your quote, Thanks.
  • Options
    peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,493 ✭✭✭✭✭

^^^ eh... I'll think about it... maybe we'll let the other guys vote to see if you're worthy or not.
    Feeling cantankerous in WI today,
    pjs

"I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Options
    silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,327 ✭✭✭✭✭

a short walk from my house:

• Options

Up North of me, someone took my shop name.

• Options

Can you charge $20 a cup? You can if you're Jimmy Butler with the captive audience of the Miami Heat. https://www.google.com/amp/s/syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/2904796-jimmy-butler-charging-heat-teammates-20-for-coffee-made-in-his-hotel-room.amp.html

• Options
    deadmandeadman Posts: 8,804 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Yakster said:
    Can you charge $20 a cup? You can if you're Jimmy Butler with the captive audience of the Miami Heat. https://www.google.com/amp/s/syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/2904796-jimmy-butler-charging-heat-teammates-20-for-coffee-made-in-his-hotel-room.amp.html

I saw an interview where they asked him about this and his response was that he was still way cheaper than the compatible coffee sold by the other vendors and that he would adjust his prices lower if they did in return.

• Options
    silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,327 ✭✭✭✭✭

lol, price fixing at a sports venue??? lol.

• Options
  • Options
    webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭

Round our house, we're still trying to figure out what makes french press coffee come out so much smoother. What's the science happening there?

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Options
    peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,493 ✭✭✭✭✭

The answer depends on what you are comparing it to; so much smoother than what?

If you're comparing the FP to a method that uses a paper filter, that right there is the culprit. The screen in the FP, or any mechanical filter for that matter, allows the oils in the coffee to remain intact, whereas the paper traps the oils. There is some ongoing debate about the effects of the oils in coffee raising one's cholesterol, but I for one, don't care.

"I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis