Home Non Cigar Related
Options

outdoor ponds

Comments

• Options
    LiquidChaos66LiquidChaos66 Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭✭
    We have a small pond liner that i got from Lowes. I think its about 40=50 gallons.
    we don't have a filtration system but i brought back some water lillys i picked up kayaking and the lillys like our pond. Our goldfish are from Wally World. We really like seeing loads of frog eggs in the spring. 

Pics?
    Life is like a blind fiver. You never know what you're gonna get.
  • Options
    WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,271 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I paid hella Mexicans to dig a big ass hole in my backyard. 
    There's not hella Mexicans in Oregon.
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • Options
    Wylaff said:
    Actually... there are. lol I know of 3 day labor pickup lots within 5 miles of my house. Portland has specifically made places for day laborers to gather and wait for work. 
  • Options
    Realistically I would rather get some friends and family together, do some manual labor and then crank up the BBQ and break out the beer and enjoy the process :)
  • Options
    danielzreyesdanielzreyes Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "It's plume, bro. Nothing to worry about. Got any Opus?" The suppose to be DZR
  • Options
    dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wylaff said:
    There are hella mexicans anywhere there are jobs Americans don't want to do brother
    A little dirt never hurt
  • Options
    I have a huge paloaan and Samoan population working for me....
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • Options
    Usaf06Usaf06 Posts: 10,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

"LET'S GO FRANCIS"     Peter

• Options

"I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

• Options

-- Winston Churchill

• Options
  • Options
    ^^^^TMI^^^^
    A little dirt never hurt
  • Options
    jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    jd50ae said:
    We have a good sized pond that was here when we moved. Stocked with catfish, bass and sunfish, and turtles and cottonmouths. We have shot many a snake, Marlin Camp Gun in 9mm and Israeli black tipped ammunition very accurate. We can't fish it anymore because the grandkids gave all the fish names. Came about from feeding them.
    what are the dimensions the pond and how big were the fish?

50X35(?)
    cats I have seen over 15"
    bass pretty much the same
    sunfish are good size considering all the competition, hand size up to 8"
    cottonmouths are over 6 feet

And oh yea, gazillions of frogs every season. They have been getting fat on the ticks.
  • Options
    jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    A short story about my original backyard pond. 

Tried various plants, including water lilies. Not so good. 
    Tried numerous other things to make it look natural. Not so good. 

Finally convinced a pet store owner to order a pair of frogs for me. I had to accept what I got because the pet store owner didn't know any more than I did about 'sexing' frogs. Mighta been a male and a female. Who knows?

Anyeay, I paid the man (kinda expensive) and took 'em home to release in my pond. Went back about 10 minutes later to check on 'em and there was no sign of the bastidges. They were never seen again. Some weeks have three or four Mondays in a row, ya know?
  • Options
    As of right now I have an area sectioned out for the pond. I have to figure out how high I want the top lip it to be from the ground. Maybe about a foot and a half.... not sure yet. Pricing out cinder blocks, cap/top stones and then pricing a pump/fountain. :) all these legit pond posts have been helpful! 

Anyone have suggestions as to as to how to run the power cord from the fountain and attach it to the house? We have some outlets outside on the house. But this seems like it should be something hard wired.... thoughts?
  • Options
    Don't make it too tall, or any frogs you do get will smell pretty bad.

• Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,442 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I thought you were moving to Scotland?
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,028 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wylaff said:
    Don't make it too tall, or any frogs you do get will smell pretty bad.
    They smell because they're dead? Because they died from jumping or falling from the wall? Because it's too high? Did I get it? And Is yours a legitimate pond post? I think it sorta is.  They're helpfuler than silly ones. 
  • Options
    MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    Power!

So the old pond was hardwired on a timer.  The pump is still hot it just doesn't work and I'm not an electrician.  I'm also cheap when it come to rentals.  The previous wire was set through the external wall of the shed/workshop but the hole wasn't big enough for a new cord.  I use a saw bit and made a new hole next to it.  Was just going to enlarge the hole until I nicked the old cord and tripped the breaker.  The new pump is plugged into a GFCI socket.  Most pumps come with plugs it seems, and you'd have to cut it off and wire it correctly if you want to hard wire it.
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
  • Options

• Options
    jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    As of right now I have an area sectioned out for the pond. I have to figure out how high I want the top lip it to be from the ground. Maybe about a foot and a half.... not sure yet. Pricing out cinder blocks, cap/top stones and then pricing a pump/fountain. :) all these legit pond posts have been helpful! 

Anyone have suggestions as to as to how to run the power cord from the fountain and attach it to the house? We have some outlets outside on the house. But this seems like it should be something hard wired.... thoughts?

There are solar light and pump units out there that may be of interest to you. They are simple to install and of course cheap to run after the initial expense. And they come in all kinds of configurations and price ranges.

The previous owner used a ditch witch and buried a pvc pipe and ran electric to a decorative light pole which has an outlet on it. It is an internal connection and a breaker since it was done while the house was being built. Someday I will clean it up and maybe we will get some use out of the deck and bench.
  • Options
    Due to some family emergencies and health conditions of a parent we had to cancel our move. Things are touch and go with this person... so thanks. 
  • Options

Seriously, DZR... just piss off. None of your comments are constructive. 
  • Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,442 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Due to some family emergencies and health conditions of a parent we had to cancel our move. Things are touch and go with this person... so thanks. 
    Been in that position.  Sometimes you just have to let it be what it is.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    Been in that position.  Sometimes you just have to let it be what it is.
    We have a vast majority of the process for the move taken care of. If things clear up then we might try again. But for now... just making the best of what we've got. 
  • Options
    So this would be an appropriate time for a thousand GIF's on why this isn't  an appropriate time
    A little dirt never hurt
  • Options
    dirtdude said:
    So this would be an appropriate time for a thousand GIF's on why this isn't  an appropriate time
    Apparently no gifs allowed here on ccom.
    However, what you can do is start a thousand stupid threads about aliens and crap OR ninja style drybeg for free sh*t. 
  • Options
    Funny thing about forums... you can ignore **** you don't want to see or be involved in. Maybe you can try that? 
  • Options
    I'm fully aware that I can do the same thing. But I don't hunt down threads you started or comment in just to **** all over them. 
  • Options
    Is there such a thing as indoor ponds? Asking for a friend. (DZR)
    -- Winston Churchill