Home Non Cigar Related

Horse Thieves

jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 2017 in Non Cigar Related
Is it still legal to shoot them?
Someone cut the electric wire on one of our fenced in areas.
Cut twice about 20 feet apart and put back up so it looked normal. We know about when it was cut because because my wife shocked herself about 4 hours before it was found. They obviously have plans to come back.
So, motion activated solar lights have been ordered. trying to decide what type of camera system to order. I also want an alarm system but right now I have no idea what kind to look at.
These AHs don't want a horse as a pet, they go to a meat packing facility.
People disgust me.

Comments

• Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    People suck! Sorry you got sucky people messing around your place :(

• dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭✭✭
    12 gauge alarm system is pretty effective
    A little dirt never hurt
  • TNBigfoot68TNBigfoot68 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This kinda crap makes me lose my loving kindness, string em up.
    I was born a fool, and just got bigger!
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Get some skunk sent from Cabelas, then set it up to spray as soon as they take the wire loose.
    An air charged tank, a reservoir and a trigger and you're all set.
    If it doesn't stop them, they'll have to work real hard to get close to the horses. 
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Sleddog46Sleddog46 Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭✭✭
    First 2 shells bird shot then load er up with 00 buck. That should solve your problem. If they cut that much fence sounds like they re planning on backing a trailer in.
    You can't dispel Ignorance if you retain Arrogance!
  • CrisiusCrisius Posts: 414 ✭✭✭
    Just do what me and my cousin did with the Coyote problem at my aunt's farm. Set up at corners of the field after finding their usual path, wait for them to get into the zone and start shooting. We got 4 coyotes like that. They've never had a problem out there again and that was 4-5 years ago now.

We were using 22's but I recommend a nice .308. 700 series, can hit targets at 400-500meters with no issues. Once they take the wire down their intent is clear. They present an imminent threat to you and your welfare. Aim to kill though, if you just maim they can sue you.

Had a martial arts instructor I knew, his house got broken into by MISTAKE by people that thought he was in a rival gang. They slit his throat but he managed to get up and cripple all 3 of them while his wife called 911. He was sued and jailed for 5 years. Was told by his lawyer had he killed them instead of just injuring them he would have gotten off scot-free.
  • Diver43Diver43 Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Did you file a police report?
    Some people just suck.
    Lights, motion dedector alarm
    A couple large guard dogs
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • TX98Z28TX98Z28 Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭✭✭
    To answer the question if you shoot them make sure its in the front and not the back, also do not shoot them while their on the ground. Make sure they are dead. Call your lawyer, then call the police, tell the police "I was in fear of my life" or as instructed by your lawyer, answer zero questions from the police without a lawyer present.

Really need to check the state laws to see what you can do legally in your state.

Shooting someone even if they are 100% in the wrong is not the best option unless they are armed, erratic on drugs, hostile etc. Best if they have a weapon, looks a lot better to the police in your defense.

If you live in a very rural area and you catch them in the act assume their on meth, meth heads are unpredictable and will not hesitate to kill you. Meth heads also will require more lead to take down do to being so amped up. 12 gauge #1 buck would be my choice, followed by slugs. Bring .40 or .45 also, extra mags. 
    If you quote me do the @TX98Z28 in your text or I won't be notified of your quote, Thanks.
  • WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
    TX98Z28 said:
    If you live in a very rural area and you catch them in the act assume their on meth, meth heads are unpredictable and will not hesitate to kill you. Meth heads also will require more lead to take down do to being so amped up. 12 gauge #1 buck would be my choice, followed by slugs. Bring .40 or .45 also, extra mags. 
    I live in a relatively rural and poor area here. Meth is a really big deal. I work as a bouncer at some of the cage matches and those guys are a pain to throw out. Got to the point we had to start literally breaking them.

Shooting them is probably the best option.
  • silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,043 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good advice if you believe in the death penalty for theft.
  • jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭

We take in abandoned and abused horses. We care for them, feed them and treat them with TLC. We do this on my SS and to have someone steal them and turn them into meat for the xxxxxx is not ever going to be acceptable. It was half joking about shooting them, but I am armed on this property and at 4 in the morning I am going to be prepared to protect every living creature on this property. That includes protecting them against rabid animals, coyotes, the occasional wolf or large cat and human scum. I am not a mean or blood thirsty vicious individual but I love the creatures on this property and I will protect them. We move snakes and foxes to other areas of the county, but messin with the others is not a wise thing to do.
    We have wild horses out here, and if you can catch one, you keep it. Their so prolific that the government has been trying to figure out how to get rid of them, short of a hunting season. Put a sign on your fence that says Free horses in Reno...
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • TX98Z28TX98Z28 Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wylaff said:
    Good article, is missing some key points, in Texas even if they break into your home and are raising a gun to shoot you and you shoot them first then shoot them again while on the ground to make sure the threat is neutralized, the police will charge you with manslaughter for shooting them while on the ground.
    I encourage everyone to take the concealed carry, LTC, etc. what ever your state calls it. They will tell you exactly what you can and can't do. More than likely the trainer will be a retired police captain or someone high up in law enforcement. They will literally tell you to tell the police nothing except "I was in fear of my life".

If you quote me do the @TX98Z28 in your text or I won't be notified of your quote, Thanks.
    @Stubble teaches CCW in south Texas...

Wylaff said:
    @Stubble teaches CCW in south Texas...

I use to teach a safety course in N Va., which turned into a ccw class. I go against the trend with the NRA, and think everyone looking for a permit to carry should attend one. Of course, emergency's make their own set of rules.
    edited October 2017
    Wylaff said:
    We have wild horses out here, and if you can catch one, you keep it. Their so prolific that the government has been trying to figure out how to get rid of them, short of a hunting season. Put a sign on your fence that says Free horses in Reno...

2 of the mustangs we have (beautiful horses) were on their way to the meat packers from your neck of the woods. The people who saved them spared no effort or expense to get them to us.
    Half of the horses, mini horses, donkeys and mules cost us $300 to get. This is nothing compared to the money and effort spent by others in housing and training, not to mention the delivery costs to get them here.
    The transformation of the starved, injured and abused animals is a joy to watch. I recommend it to everyone.

Why do they call the folks who take care of horses hooves (hoofs?) "furriers"?
  • silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,043 ✭✭✭✭✭
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Farrier
    "Historically, the jobs of farrier and blacksmith were practically synonymous, shown by the etymology of the word: farrier comes from Middle French: ferrier (blacksmith), from the Latin word ferrum (iron).[1] A farrier's work in colonial America or pre-Industrial Revolution Europe would have included shoeing horses, as well as the fabrication and repair of tools, the forging of architectural pieces, and so on. Modern day farriers usually specialize in horseshoeing, focusing their time and effort on the care of the horse's hoof. For this reason, farriers and blacksmiths are considered to be in separate, albeit related, trades."
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ya beat me to it, Edward. Here's my contribution:

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/farrier
  • YaksterYakster Posts: 25,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A women I knew at work who was in Marketing was also a farrier.  The competitions are said to be something to see.
    I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
    I do in this case. Cutting and replacing the wire shows forethought. This isn't someone stealing food or water to survive. This is someone with a clear plan of action and enough means to be able to come and go at their own leisure. This a clear intent to do harm to others. That's a death penalty in my book.
  • ExpendableYouthExpendableYouth Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Crisius said:

I do in this case. Cutting and replacing the wire shows forethought. This isn't someone stealing food or water to survive. This is someone with a clear plan of action and enough means to be able to come and go at their own leisure. This a clear intent to do harm to others. That's a death penalty in my book.
    It seems like you think the death penalty is appropriate in most situations. 
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Big holes and lots of lime 
    Crisius said:

It seems like you think the death penalty is appropriate in most situations. 
    And? Too many people get too many chances to be **** people that clearly don't deserve life.
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can't say I'm against the death penalty in every case, but this doesn't seem to rise to that level of infraction, does it? 

Oh, I could have gone for the death penalty for Westerfield, (I think), the guy that raped and killed a 9 year old girl because her mother wouldn't go out with him.  I'd have pulled the trigger, pushed the button, whatever on that one.  And, more recently and much closer to home, the guy who did the same to Holly Bobo.  I'd be OK with using him as an organ donor for people who do deserve to live.

In JD's case here, however, and most like it, I'd rather see the focus be on some R's.  You know, replacement, reparation, repayment, stuff like that.

I think that in this case, what @jd50ae might want to do is get some of those night cameras that hunters use.  And, I hate to say it, but don't let anyone, ANYONE, even those living with you, know that you got them or where you put them.  Not saying anything about anybody, but someone probably knew what they were after and when and where to get it.

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
    edited October 2017
    I can't say I'm against the death penalty in every case, but this doesn't seem to rise to that level of infraction, does it? 

Oh, I could have gone for the death penalty for Westerfield, (I think), the guy that raped and killed a 9 year old girl because her mother wouldn't go out with him.  I'd have pulled the trigger, pushed the button, whatever on that one.  And, more recently and much closer to home, the guy who did the same to Holly Bobo.  I'd be OK with using him as an organ donor for people who do deserve to live.

In JD's case here, however, and most like it, I'd rather see the focus be on some R's.  You know, replacement, reparation, repayment, stuff like that.

I think that in this case, what @jd50ae might want to do is get some of those night cameras that hunters use.  And, I hate to say it, but don't let anyone, ANYONE, even those living with you, know that you got them or where you put them.  Not saying anything about anybody, but someone probably knew what they were after and when and where to get it.

A lot of surprises have been added and even more added when the finances allow it. Was gonna add some poison spike pits but that is too dangerous for the horses and kids.
  • peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,315 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My question for @Crisius ...  Are you alive today only because your idea of using the death penalty on a broader scale wasn't implemented when you were younger?  Or did you never do the stupid stuff most of us did in our youth?

"I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2017

This is for @JD50ae in reply to your original question. 

Deadly Force is NEVER PERMITTED to protect personal property or real estate.

Tennessee Code Annotated section 39-11-614 (c) clearly states that “Unless a person is justified in using deadly force as otherwise provided by law, a person is not justified in using deadly force to prevent or terminate the other’s trespass on real estate or unlawful interference with personal property.”

I also looked for laws on booby traps. Couldn't find anything. Pretty sure anything physically harmful would be illegal too. I assume anything you do them will get you in more trouble than they'll ever be in for stealing anything of yours.  

Lights and sounds will deter them. Keep it simple.

Post edited by Bob_Luken on