Home Non Cigar Related
Options

What do you collect? Everybody collects something!

Comments

• Options
    deadmandeadman Posts: 8,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My old boss collected ex wives.
  • Options
    NorCalR1NorCalR1 Posts: 4,197 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sports memorabilia ( mostly older players) 

If you want to bomb me send it to Tony @0patience :D
    If you are a newbie I got Dem nachos....

• Options
    webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Unfinished projects.
    “It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Options
    90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Markwell said:
    Coins, railroad stuff of every shape and form (lanterns cast iron signs builders plates oil cans etc etc), pint glasses (just started), telegraph insulators, cigars o'course, antique furniture, antique cameras...hmmm...sure I left some stuff out. Used to collect post cards but the entire collection got ruined when our basement flooded in 2008.

Would like to start collecting actual telegraph keys and sounders at some point, but they's expensive! 
    My son would love this, even at 5 years old he is a train fanatic! I dunno why but I’ve spoken to many parents with autistic children and it’s surprisingly common for the autistic boys to get into trains. Vast majority I’ve met are into trains as well as Thomas the Train. Kinda interesting to me at least. 
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • Options
    My biggest collection and hobby by far is cigars, I collect far more than I currently smoke but that just leads to age and great smokes so I’m fine with it. I also collect whiskey though since money has been tight I have drank through almost all of my collection this past year. Also collect knives. 
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • Options
    jw517jw517 Posts: 234 ✭✭✭
    War stuff.
  • Options
    More war stuff
  • Options
    TrishTrish Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The new collection has started of hourglass/sand timers
  • Options
    peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,485 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't think I collect anything.  There are piles of junk everywhere because I just know I'll need that scrap of wood, or jar, or empty box.  Then there's the wedding gifts and china from '82, and the jeans I wore back then that I'll fit into again someday.  But I don't actually collect any collections as a hobby.
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Options
    As of late,I'm giving all my money to cigarbid. Can't afford to collect anything. I guess cigars are a collection?
  • Options
    Diver43Diver43 Posts: 2,145 ✭✭✭✭✭

In additions to Pens and Firearms, I also collect Challenge Coins.  After 20 years in  uniform and now 18 as a DOD Civilian I have been around long enough to have a nice collection. All of mine were given to me from the person or position that they represent.  My highest is from the then Secretary of Defense, Donald Rumsfeld.

I did not do anything special, but when he was here for a change of command ceremony his security detail got a flat tire on the way to the airport.  I was the last one in the office and heading to the door when the phone rang. I hesitated, but went back to answer. All I did was have another van turn back and pick them up, but the Sec Defs plane was not delayed. About a week later I was summoned to the Chief of Staffs office and was handed his coin.  My thought was to give it to the driver of the van, but was handed a second coin and letter of appreciation to give to him.

Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • Options
    Thanatos0320Thanatos0320 Posts: 577 ✭✭✭
    I like to collect silver coins, and recently I've started to collect guns. Below is a picture of some of my coins. I like Australian rounds most.

• Options
    StubbleStubble Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    Before the market dried up, military surplus rifles...WWII era.   Mostly foreign. 
    Hey, you gonna eat the rest of that corndog?
  • Options
    ForMudForMud Posts: 2,336 ✭✭✭✭✭
    peter4jc said:
    I don't think I collect anything.  There are piles of junk everywhere because I just know I'll need that scrap of wood, or jar, or empty box.  Then there's the wedding gifts and china from '82, and the jeans I wore back then that I'll fit into again someday.  But I don't actually collect any collections as a hobby.
    I'm the same, but with me it bits metal left over from jobs, nuts and bolts and misc metal brackets...Always tell myself I might just need that someday.
    I wonder where's the line between collecting and hording? 
  • Options
    Captain_CallCaptain_Call Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    My wife says I'm a hoarder. I have a revolving door of hobbies that are causing me to amass a pile of stuff she disapproves of. She doesn't disapprove of the hobbies or of all of the stuff, but she doesn't understand why I have more than one of practically the same thing. Whether it's my firearms, pipes and cigars, packs, camp gear, knives, when I get a new one, she asks what was wrong with the old one and what I'll do with it. Sometimes I have a valid excuse to justify the replacement but a lot of the time it boils down to the old one isn't the new one. I'll either smoke it, gift it, trade it, or sell it...eventually. But not until I have to move it at least once. Nothing thins a collection like a moving sale
  • Options
    TrishTrish Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ForMud said:
    peter4jc said:
    I'm the same, but with me it bits metal left over from jobs, nuts and bolts and misc metal brackets...Always tell myself I might just need that someday.
    Lol sounds like that line was 10 years in your past.
  • Options
    ForMud said:
    peter4jc said:
    I grew up building and wrenching on cars and vehicles with Pops, and we both have an extensive collection of small bits and pieces and nuts and bolts and metal. But when you are fabricating or doing a build it saves you time and time again. I love those collections because they have kept me from getting my ass bit time and time again. 
  • Options
    The best is when you remember you have that little dodad.....Someplace....Search, search, search.... Then you find it and it's all worth it.

• Options
    I put a wood stove in my trapping shed last fall and bought brackets for the pipe outside. I looked at how they were made and went to my scrap pile and found pieces to duplicate it. I made a couple and returned the brackets getting my 34.00 back. My wife hates my scrap yard but it's money!
  • Options
    jw517 said:
    I put a wood stove in my trapping shed last fall and bought brackets for the pipe outside. I looked at how they were made and went to my scrap pile and found pieces to duplicate it. I made a couple and returned the brackets getting my 34.00 back. My wife hates my scrap yard but it's money!
    You just made me realize I actually do have a collection....Scrap metal!!! 
    I got about two tons out back of the shop. My wife calls it the "Sanford and Son" pile.
    I bet with metal prices on the rise, scrap is gong up too.....Time to start the "Scrap to Sticks" program.

• Options
    MarkwellMarkwell Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My son would love this, even at 5 years old he is a train fanatic! I dunno why but I’ve spoken to many parents with autistic children and it’s surprisingly common for the autistic boys to get into trains. Vast majority I’ve met are into trains as well as Thomas the Train. Kinda interesting to me at least. 
    Over the years it has become more and more noticable within our community. My friend and I were just recently discussing how those with autism seem to flock to our hobby as opposed to others. Wonder what it is that intrigues them...perhaps all of the external moving parts? 
    “Happiness? A good cigar, a good meal, a good cigar and a good woman – or a bad woman; it depends on how much happiness you can handle.” – George Burns
  • Options
    0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Markwell said:
    Over the years it has become more and more noticable within our community. My friend and I were just recently discussing how those with autism seem to flock to our hobby as opposed to others. Wonder what it is that intrigues them...perhaps all of the external moving parts? 
    People who are autistic have tendencies to function fairly well with mechanical, mathematical and computer areas.
    And levels of autism can range from full on withdrawal from conventional conversation and daily life, to "functional autism". 
    Functional autistic people can often lead normal lives, do normal things and carry on normal conversations and hold jobs where folks don't even realize they have autism.
    With only small "tells" giving off any indication of autism.
    Sometimes, it is a twitch, light snapping of the fingers, the inability to make eye contact or a restless leg or light tapping of the foot.

Most times, those folks are detail orientated and do well with specific things, but seem to be totally disorganized in other aspects.

Models, hot rods, motorcycles, bicycles, music, math, science, computers, model trains, erector sets, legos and similar things are areas that autisitc people seem "more at ease" for a lack of a better term.

In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Options
    MarkwellMarkwell Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My aforementioned friend is the one who has functional autism, and you'd never pick up on it without knowing. He went to public school, has held down steady employment ever since, and is now a fully certified conductor and engineer at our railroad. His full-time job is also as a locomotive engineer. He's a pretty normal guy really. Just a little more organized and not comfortable with having a relationship. 
    “Happiness? A good cigar, a good meal, a good cigar and a good woman – or a bad woman; it depends on how much happiness you can handle.” – George Burns
  • Options
    I took care of a fellow who was my age but Autistic and profoundly mentally retarded. It goes to each extreme I guess. He stared at pieces of string most of the day,spinning it between his fingers. I always wondered what he was seeing in the string. 
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    jw517 said:
    I took care of a fellow who was my age but Autistic and profoundly mentally retarded. It goes to each extreme I guess. He stared at pieces of string most of the day,spinning it between his fingers. I always wondered what he was seeing in the string. 
    Autism affects touch, sound and visual input the most. Each case is different and different inputs affect each person differently.
    Some will rub their hand on there face or cheek. Some will slap their hand on their thigh. Others who may be functional may have slight tells. 
    Pinky may rub back and forth on 3rd finger or index on middle finger.

The thing to remember is that autistic people are on sensory overload. Every sound, touch and visual input is hyper sensitive. 
    Colors are sometimes intertwined. 
    A faucette dripping is like someone pounding on a drum.
    A simple thing like a grain of sand in their shoe or in their bed can trigger them to get upset.

Understanding what is a trigger for them is half the battle.
    Autistics like "security blankets".
    These are things that are an item, like a colored string, that help them keep calm and fixate on it.

And yes, my index finger rubs on my middle finger thru out the day. I have a tribal bear token that comes out of my pocket quite often. If I misplace it, then my key ring takes its place. 
    I am hypersensitive to touch. If my socks bunch. I have to fix it. I cannot handle the smallest pebble in my shoe. 
    I am a mechanic who cleans his hands 100 times a day.
    And I cannot eat certain foods that have textures that clash. Like potato salad with celery. If that makes any sense.
    So I know a small amount about autism.
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • Options
    This poor soul also suffered with uncontrolled epilepsy. The doctors convinced his guardian to let them operate and sever ties between his R an L brain. I think it was called something like corpus callistotomy. After that he was crippled and could not stand or walk. A few years later he died of liver cancer from the seizure drugs he took all his life.(per the doctors) 
  • Options
    silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,319 ✭✭✭✭✭
    0patience said:
    jw517 said:
    Autism affects touch, sound and visual input the most. Each case is different and different inputs affect each person differently.
    Some will rub their hand on there face or cheek. Some will slap their hand on their thigh. Others who may be functional may have slight tells. 
    Pinky may rub back and forth on 3rd finger or index on middle finger.

The thing to remember is that autistic people are on sensory overload. Every sound, touch and visual input is hyper sensitive. 
    Colors are sometimes intertwined. 
    A faucette dripping is like someone pounding on a drum.
    A simple thing like a grain of sand in their shoe or in their bed can trigger them to get upset.

Understanding what is a trigger for them is half the battle.
    Autistics like "security blankets".
    These are things that are an item, like a colored string, that help them keep calm and fixate on it.

And yes, my index finger rubs on my middle finger thru out the day. I have a tribal bear token that comes out of my pocket quite often. If I misplace it, then my key ring takes its place. 
    I am hypersensitive to touch. If my socks bunch. I have to fix it. I cannot handle the smallest pebble in my shoe. 
    I am a mechanic who cleans his hands 100 times a day.
    And I cannot eat certain foods that have textures that clash. Like potato salad with celery. If that makes any sense.
    So I know a small amount about autism.
    I see you know what you are talking about, Tony, thanks. I'm in the same boat. For me, learning to function in the real world required figuring out what I could and could not cope with. I can't recognize people by their faces, only by their clothing, hair, voice, etc. If I meet them out of their usual surroundings it can be embarrassing. Love ceiling fans, moving mechanical things like fidget spinners, lathes, etc. I'm best when alone, doing routine, detailed work; easily overloaded. Had dinner with the wife at a noisy pub last month and later in a semi-zombie state, ran a red light. If I have the radio on and someone starts talking to me I have to turn the radio off
  • Options

@NorCalR1 said:

Added this to my collection today

Yep. I'm jealous.
    I have several signed baseballs.
    Nolan Ryan, Randy Johnson, Bob Doerr.
    Autographs from Duke Snider.
    A Norm Cash game used cracked bat.

Most I have acquired over the years at different ball parks.

In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • Options
    NorCalR1NorCalR1 Posts: 4,197 ✭✭✭✭✭

@0patience said:

@NorCalR1 said:

Added this to my collection today

Yep. I'm jealous.
    I have several signed baseballs.
    Nolan Ryan, Randy Johnson, Bob Doerr.
    Autographs from Duke Snider.
    A Norm Cash game used cracked bat.

Most I have acquired over the years at different ball parks.

You have some great stuff!
    I have been a memorabilia junky since I was a kid. Mainly Hall of famers from the baseball basketball and football.

If you want to bomb me send it to Tony @0patience :D
    If you are a newbie I got Dem nachos....