Home General Discussion
Options

Good NON-Alcohol beverages for pairing

So i stopped drinking about 2 years ago. Found out my dad was a big time alcoholic and realised i was heading down the same path so i just quit. So i'm really just seeing what input people on here have besides coffee and tea for drinking with a good stogie 

Comments

• Options
    CalvinAndHoboCalvinAndHobo Posts: 2,939 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't drink anymore either but I find that with most non coffee drinks, flavors just make the cigar taste odd/worse, so I stick with water/seltzer water. I think ginger beer might taste good but I've yet to pair that together yet. Now, with all of that said, black coffee will forever be the best pairing in my opinion. 
  • Options
    GuitardedGuitarded Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vernors, Jarritos Tamarind soda, small batch ginger brew!
    Friends don't let good friends smoke cheap cigars.
  • Options
    jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Personally, I’m a Pepsiholic......

Black, freshly brewed coffee from The Excellent Cup is also extremely good (right, Peter @peter4jc?) 
  • Options
    MarkwellMarkwell Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dr. Pepper all the way!
    “Happiness? A good cigar, a good meal, a good cigar and a good woman – or a bad woman; it depends on how much happiness you can handle.” – George Burns
  • Options
    0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pepsi, Root beer, sarsparilla are my favorites.

In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Options
    firehouseguyfirehouseguy Posts: 996 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Chocolate milk
    Cigars were made to be smoked, whiskey was made to be drank and women were made to be loved. The only thing I try to age is myself. 
  • Options
    silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    coffee, toasted twig tea and other green teas, seltzer.
  • Options
    ForMudForMud Posts: 2,336 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've tried a couple of things on the sweet side...It doesn't do it for me, makes them taste very bitter. Water is my go to.
  • Options
    Alucore56Alucore56 Posts: 27
    Chocalate milk idk about that one theres a few on here id try like dr. Pepper i guess that would make sense cause of the 23 flavors they make it with @silvermouse i drink alot of green tea so im gonna try with a cigar later 
  • Options
    MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    I've paired a couple of cigars with Rooibos tea.  It's been awhile, but it worked in the right circumstances.  People always say root beer, but I've never tried it.  I like both cigars and root beer, but don't want to ruin either one!

Coffee, of course.  I can see some sodas working okay, but I'm usually just a water guy anyway.
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
  • Options
    avengethisavengethis Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Coffee, Root Beer, Cream Soda, Dr Pepper, Water
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke ever last one of 'em." - Ron White
  • Options
    EchambersEchambers Posts: 4,178 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dr. Pepper, for sure.
    -- "There's something that doesn't make sense. Let's go poke it with a stick."
  • Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,016 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dr Pepper has always been mentioned over and over every time this subject comes up. You should definitely try it. I tried it. For me it was just OK but lots of guys really dig it. I tend to sip whiskey. But other than water, I've never really found a great paring for smokes.   
  • Options
    SasquatchSasquatch Posts: 307 ✭✭✭
    I would second the chocolate milk option. It sounds weird but actually pairs well with a full bodied smoke. Any citrusy type of beverage seems to clash in taste IMHO.
  • Options
    Sketch6995Sketch6995 Posts: 4,495 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Grape juice box  :D
    The higher.......the fewer.  ( Alexander Rozhenko)

What you can't forgive......you will become.
  • Options
    Diver43Diver43 Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If I don't have an adult beverage or coffee it will be a lemon seltzer of some kind.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • Options
    jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Diver43 said:
    If I don't have an adult beverage or coffee it will be a lemon seltzer of some kind.
    Lemon seltzer reminds me - anybody ever tried limoncello?  I believe it can be made ‘virgin’ style with no alcohol but that’s just close to lemonade, to my way of thinking. We Italians prefer it in the original way.....
  • Options
    YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Iced coffee, seltzer or just plain water.
  • Options
    jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Coffee
    Iced Coffee
    Root Beer
    Real Ginger Ale 
    Iced Tea
    Anything with a not too sweet flavor. Something that will wash the mouth and allow the cigar to come through clean and fresh.
  • Options
    WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,271 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Iced coffee with lots of milk.
    Rootbeer.
    Black Tea.
    Italian Soda
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,016 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2018

Eye-talian? Phssssh! Buena bebida con cigarro!

Related image
  • Options
    Thanatos0320Thanatos0320 Posts: 577 ✭✭✭
    It depends on what you're smoking. I generally drink coke or mellow yellow. However, chocolate drinks pair well with maduros imo..I don't drink coffee, but I imagine coffee pairs well with a lot of cigars too.
  • Options
    SmokingDocSmokingDoc Posts: 4 ✭✭
    Been reading this forum for a long while.  Just now decided to go ahead and finally respond to a thread.  

Yoo-hoo.  Chocolatey.  Not too sweet.  Not milky.  Perfect when cooled and smoking outside.  Pairs well with a mild or robust cigar.
  • Options
    NorCalR1NorCalR1 Posts: 4,197 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maple water on ice ( just has a hint of sweetness to it). Refreshing and brings out some of the more subtle flavors in different smokes.

If you want to bomb me send it to Tony @0patience :D
    If you are a newbie I got Dem nachos....

• Options
    dbeckomdbeckom Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I prefer strong coffee or Diet Pepsi. I find that Diet Pepsi has little to no aftertaste to interfere with the flavors of my cigar (or pipe), and the carbonation helps to refresh the palate. 

Also, Seagrams Ginger Ale works great with some blends. It is crisp and refreshing and not as sugary as other common brands. 

"Any cigar smoker is friend, because I know how he feels." Alfred de Musset

"A fine cigar is just like a woman. If you don't light it up just right and suck on it with a certain frequency, it will go out on you." Unknown

“A pipe is to the troubled soul what caresses of a mother are for her suffering child.”  Indian Proverb
  • Options
    Sketch6995Sketch6995 Posts: 4,495 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Purple juice box
    The higher.......the fewer.  ( Alexander Rozhenko)

What you can't forgive......you will become.