Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Post Every Boring Aspect Of Your Mundane Life Thread

Comments

• Options
    silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,273 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yay, coffee!
    reading a paper on the synergistic effect of caffeine and a wax found on coffee beans with the beneficial effect of decreasing the accumulation of amyloid fibrils found in Parkinson's Disease, and why you shouldn't use a paper filter:

The present observations also have implications for the epidemiological data linking coffee consumption with reduced risk of PD (48⇓–50) and attribution of this protection to CAF (24, 25). However, coffee is a complex chemical mixture containing more than a thousand different compounds (51). Thus, it is not unlikely that other components of coffee play a beneficial role as well. Factors that are not accounted for in epidemiological studies include the method of preparation of coffee. Different components of coffee are present in the final consumed product, depending on conditions of coffee growth and harvesting, methods of roasting and brewing, whether the coffee is filtered or not, and what kind of filter is used. EHT is a principal constituent of coffee wax that coats the coffee bean (52). The levels of EHT and closely related N-alkanoyl-5-hydoxytryptamides are appreciable in unfiltered coffee, whereas some preparation methods remove lipids such as EHT (53).

In addition to deficiencies in PP2A methylation in α-synucleinopathies (PD and DLB) (22), similar PP2A dysregulation is found in postmortem brains from patients with tauopathies such as Alzheimer’s disease (AD) and Progressive Supranuclear Palsy (PSP) (54, 55). Our present results, therefore, raise the possibility of similar synergy between EHT and CAF in both classes of chronic neurodegenerative diseases. Several epidemiologic studies have shown that greater consumption of coffee or CAF is associated with reduced risk of AD (56), and dietary supplementation with EHT is efficacious in two rodent models of AD: mice exposed to oligomeric beta-amyloid injections into the hippocampus (57) and rats injected in the lateral ventricle with viral vector expressing the endogenous PP2A inhibitor SET that exhibit tau hyperphosphorylation, elevated levels of cytoplasmic amyloid-β protein, and cognitive impairment (58). Additionally, in AβPPsw+PS1 transgenic mice, administration of caffeinated coffee increased plasma levels of cytokines, while neither CAF alone nor decaffeinated coffee had this effect, raising the likelihood that CAF synergizes with another component of coffee (59). Based on our present findings, we submit that at least one of the synergizing components is EHT.

https://www.pnas.org/content/early/2018/11/26/1813365115
  • Options
    jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Read another article that said you should not drink coffee for at least an hour after you get up. 
  • Options
    jd50ae said:
    Read another article that said you should not drink coffee for at least an hour after you get up. 
    why?
  • Options
    Sleddog46Sleddog46 Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I took a nap today.
    You can't dispel Ignorance if you retain Arrogance!
  • Options
    Captain_CallCaptain_Call Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jd50ae said:
    Coffee stouts are fine though.
    Doubly so if they have maple in them
  • Options
    NorCalR1NorCalR1 Posts: 4,197 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Flat tire driving my daughter to school...

If you want to bomb me send it to Tony @0patience :D
    If you are a newbie I got Dem nachos....

• Options
    got my priority-2-day-mail package after it spent a week in Montana and Utah. PO claimed it had the wrong zip code, but it didn't. 
  • Options
    jd50ae said:
    why?
    @silvermouse I looked for the article, no luck. But it has something to do with your body waking itself up, and coffee interferes with some natural process. But after an hour it is OK. The article actually made sense. And in my case it is probably an hour after I take care of morning things/stuff/rituals before I have a cup.
  • Options
    MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    jd50ae said:
    jd50ae said:
    why?
    @silvermouse I looked for the article, no luck. But it has something to do with your body waking itself up, and coffee interferes with some natural process. But after an hour it is OK. The article actually made sense. And in my case it is probably an hour after I take care of morning things/stuff/rituals before I have a cup.
    Funny, I've seen repeated articles about the coffee-nap.  You should drink coffee, then take a 20 minute nap.  It works better than either, alone, for the afternoon pick-me-up.  Caffeine fills some receptor-site in your brain.  When it's filled with another compound, it makes you sleepy.  A short nap also clears some of the other compound, so it's like a double-whammy, opening up more spots for the caffeine.  But a longer nap starts getting into the biochemistry of sleep cycles and waking up in a way that doesn't help.

One Cup
    20 minute nap

I think I might just try that prescription right now!
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
  • Options
    dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm gonna see if the boss bites on that one tomorrow.
    A little dirt never hurt
  • Options
    Found out CA plans to tax people for text messages.. 

• Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,453 ✭✭✭✭✭
    NorCalR1 said:
    Found out CA plans to tax people for text messages.. 
    But of course!
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    TrishTrish Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Wondering why at 52° I'm bundled sitting next to a heater while some of you guys ruff it in the snow for a smoke... lol
    Post edited by Trish on
  • Options
    @Trish
    Kind of similar thoughts while sitting in front of the PC having a smoke and drinking coffee. Felt a little cold air when I let the dogs out and in, and marveled at the frost. 
  • Options
    Diver43Diver43 Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just spent an hour on a call with nothing accomplished at work. Customer swore their spouse was hacking all of their devices and network even non-apple stuff and wants apple to magically fix it like we (I in this case) can somehow do that. Yet based on how my job is setup I have to call her back tomorrow and somehow provide something that will help her. 

Sometimes I really hate this job.... 🤯🤮🤬
    I know it is way past tomorrow, but you should of had her unplug all devices and leave off for 48 hours. Call back problem solved 
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • Options
    Diver43Diver43 Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Trish said:
    Wondering why at 52° I'm bundled sitting next to a heater while some of you guys ruff it in the snow for a smoke... lol
    @Trish
    I understand, it is only 74F here today and it feels chilly.  Last night 63 was much too cool to sit outside for a cigar.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • Options
    TrishTrish Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Diver43 said:
    Trish said:
    @Trish
    I understand, it is only 74F here today and it feels chilly.  Last night 63 was much too cool to sit outside for a cigar.
    @Diver43 I appreciate that someone feels my pain. Now on the flip side when it's 120 and I have to wait for the sun to go down I become very envious of the snow dwellers LOL
  • Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 25,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Got a quick mow in before the rains.  No time for a yard gar.
    Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options
    dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There needs to be a "go f uck yourself" button.
    Why? Do you want to be the GFY king
    A little dirt never hurt
  • Options
    EZ Ugly Christmas sweater on sale 

• Options
    HawkeyeHawkeye Posts: 246 ✭✭✭✭
    Yakster said:
    Got a quick mow in before the rains.  No time for a yard gar.
    I spent the last 3 minutes trying to figure out what MOW was an acronym for.
    Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular.
  • Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 25,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, not Man O' War cigar, I mowed the grass, it was getting too long.  :D
    Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options
    IndustMechIndustMech Posts: 4,684 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yakster said:
    No, not Man O' War cigar, I mowed the grass, it was getting too long.  :D
    Too long? Try a different vitola

I know, You're a big dog and I'm on the list.
    Let's eat, GrandMa.  /  Let's eat GrandMa.  --  Punctuation saves lives

It'll be fine once the swelling goes down.

• Options
    First_WarriorFirst_Warrior Posts: 3,173 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Over the past few years I have been using a small propane torch set up to light off the fire in my studio wood stove. I heat the smoke exit in the stove first to insure a good draw and then turn the torch to a small stack of kindling for a minute or so. Works great. Any hardware store has these little torches and bottles of propane.
  • Options
    Will be spending the next two evenings building a power wheels from Santa.

• Options
    Sleddog46Sleddog46 Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just got out of the shower. I take once a week whether I need it or not. LOL.
    You can't dispel Ignorance if you retain Arrogance!