Home General Discussion

New World Cameroon

Comments

• YaksterYakster Posts: 25,534 ✭✭✭✭✭

I usually get the Toro.

I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • NorCalR1NorCalR1 Posts: 4,197 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’ve gotten boxes of the Toro & SB and both sticks were great. Toro seems to have more of a natural sweet hint IMO.

If you want to bomb me send it to Tony @0patience :D
    If you are a newbie I got Dem nachos....

• 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭

I really like the short robusto and toro.
    The double robusto is good, just that, as @NorCalR1 said, the toro tends to have a hint more flavor, than the double robusto.
    I really like the short robusto, because there are times I want a fairly quick cigar and it usually does not disappoint.

In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2020

I'm enjoying the torpedoes. Seem to have slightly less wrapper issues, which has been my only complaint with this line of cigars. Cameroons are always fragile, but a lot of the double robustos I smoked had problems. I had bought two boxes, of course. So, tried the torpedoes, things have gone better.

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • TheKrakenTheKraken Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CAcigarguy007 you may be interested in this thread

• CAcigarguy007CAcigarguy007 Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TheKraken said:
    @CAcigarguy007 you may be interested in this thread

Good looking out! I'll definitely read through it. Going to eat dinner now but will definitely check it out post dinner when I grab my evening gar.

@deadman said:
    This looks interesting 
    (Image)

@0patience 

So, I take it you dig these eh? Lol. Dam, that's commitment!

@CAcigarguy007 said:

@deadman said:
    This looks interesting 
    (Image)

@0patience 

Yes, I dig them.
    I favor cameroons over most all other cigars. So when they quit making the Torano 1916, if kind of caused me a bit of a headache.
    The New World Cameroon is about as close to the 1916 as I can find.
    It has other nuances, but still similar enough that I can save some 1916s for later.
    And the fact that I have rarely ever paid more then $5 for a New World Cameroon, makes it very appealing to me.

In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:

@0patience said:

@CAcigarguy007 said:

@deadman said:
    This looks interesting 
    (Image)

@0patience 

Yes, I dig them.
    I favor cameroons over most all other cigars. So when they quit making the Torano 1916, if kind of caused me a bit of a headache.
    The New World Cameroon is about as close to the 1916 as I can find.
    It has other nuances, but still similar enough that I can save some 1916s for later.
    And the fact that I have rarely ever paid more then $5 for a New World Cameroon, makes it very appealing to me.

Smart IMO, strike while the iron is hot. I also tend to feel that first runs are the best time to stock up, especially if you tried some of the first run and dig them. Sometimes the batches aren't exactly the same and can have slight differences. At least you know you'll have consistency throughout your acquisition. Nothing worse than finding that perfect cigar, smoking through a bunch over time and then reordering and realizing it isn't quite the same on subsequent orders. I've had that happen and it makes you want to kick yourself for not ordering more of a previous run.

Crop conditions change (Cameron wrappers in particular) and production demands can also put pressure on manufacturing outcomes as well. It's very tough to maintain exacting standards. There are a handful of cigars that I wish I could time travel back and purchase specific runs on to be sure. You've solved that problem in your case. As they age and get better and better, you'll have that consistency you can count on. That's a good comfort and worth the investment!

• peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭✭

This brings up the idea of comparing Nicaraguan-grown Cameroon-seed tobacco vs wrapper leaf from Cameroon; whether there is a discernible difference (and do you actually have a preference) and whether a brand actually discloses the origin instead of just calling it 'Cameroon'.

"I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
    edited August 2020

@peter4jc said:
    This brings up the idea of comparing Nicaraguan-grown Cameroon-seed tobacco vs wrapper leaf from Cameroon; whether there is a discernible difference (and do you actually have a preference) and whether a brand actually discloses the origin instead of just calling it 'Cameroon'.

I like them both, but personally, I think that the Nicaraguan grown is a little smoother.
    It seems that the actual African cameroon, while it has that great sweetness, it also has a sharp taste to it.
    I like them both, but expect to pay a little more for the actual African Cameroon and expect more out of it..

As for whether a brand discloses the origin,
    if a company is selling a Nica-cameroon for $11, as a "cameroon", using assumption that it is African cameroon, then I feel that is fraud. That, is inexcusable.
    On the other hand, if a cigar is $5, you kind of assume it is Nica-cameroon.

Personally, I believe it should be disclosed.
    It's kind of like calling cuban seed tobacco, cuban.

In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • YaksterYakster Posts: 25,534 ✭✭✭✭✭

I hear some cigars sold with "Cuban seed" tobacco actually contain some Cuban tobacco. Strange.

I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
    edited August 2020

@peter4jc said:

I can taste the difference. Try a Perdomo Limited Cameroon Edition sometime. I've burned through a few boxes of those and they are a treat for Cameroon lovers to be sure. I smoke them sparingly as treats, as Cameroon wrapper isn't my preferred choice for regular consumption but I definitely appreciate them on occasion, particularly in the morning with a cup of coffee.

• Usaf06Usaf06 Posts: 10,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

I believe Baka uses Cameroon from cameroon

"I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

"LET'S GO FRANCIS"     Peter

• ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 8,287 ✭✭✭✭✭

It should be required to list where the leaf is actually grown. Just as is should be required to list whether a cigar is made of scraps or long leaf.

Trapped in the People's Communits Republic of Massachusetts.

• VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 16,589 ✭✭✭✭✭

It will be in 39 days when the FDA stuff kicks in.

Don't look ↑
    edited August 2020

@VegasFrank said:
    It will be in 39 days when the FDA stuff kicks in.

What is this "FDA stuff" you are referencing and how will it affect cigar smokers? I thought most of the biggest stuff was pretty much on hold? Maybe I can use it to justify some more purchases...lol.

Substantial equivalency applications must be submitted by September 9th. Any cigar brand or line that originated after 2007 must have the application in with the FDA by that date or stores must pull those lines off of their shelves and cease selling them in the United States. Only 13 cigar brands have gotten approved substantial equivalency applications. All 13 of them are black and mild.

Don't look ↑
    edited August 2020

@VegasFrank said:
    Substantial equivalency applications must be submitted by September 9th. Any cigar brand or line that originated after 2007 must have the application in with the FDA by that date or stores must pull those lines off of their shelves and cease selling them in the United States. Only 13 cigar brands have gotten approved substantial equivalency applications. All 13 of them are black and mild.

Dang. While I have enjoyed a black and mild or ten back in the days, that's nuts. Makes me wonder if we will see some fire sales soon for lines that aren't worth the hassle. I also see some opportunities to extend lines that existed before 2007 by technically as well 😉. Could also duck behind the pandemic for some kind of injunction type relief or delay. It'll be interesting to see what happens. Sounds like a cluster duck of epic proportions. Sheesh.

So on your points, brands and skews available continuously since 2007 (or before) are exempt but must be declared by 9/9. Any skew created after 8/15/07 will need to prove substantial equivalency. The application is easy to fill out but there's no telling if the FDA will grant any of them. It will be largely political; bet on it.

On the covid extension, that's what we are on now. FDA said they don't want to do it now, but Congress has to approve an extension and no bill is forthcoming.

Don't look ↑

Thanks for the info VF. Quite a conundrum indeed.

• EgoBoundaryEgoBoundary Posts: 2,159 ✭✭✭✭✭

@VegasFrank said:

I just heard about this on the cigar Authority... they said thousands of cigars have sent in their applications ... I wonder if I should be stocking up like a mad man, or just let it ride and see how it ends up... should I buy a box of ... everything? Right now?

Buy it all now brother! Buy it all now....

Don't look ↑

No but seriously it should be fine. The director of the FDA has publicly said that the premium cigar industry is their lowest priority. They are trying to go after menthol cigarettes, vapes, and flavored machine made cigars. The bad news is, the FDA said that the premium cigar industry is its lowest priority, which means that we will get caught up in whatever happens and that we are still a priority, even if it's the lowest.

Don't look ↑
  • NorCalR1NorCalR1 Posts: 4,197 ✭✭✭✭✭

This will also hit the pipe tobacco community.

If you want to bomb me send it to Tony @0patience :D
    If you are a newbie I got Dem nachos....

• peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭✭

$28 shipped for ten Toros, just now on scorcher...

"I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis

Got mine. 27.32 to be exact. :)

Don't look ↑
  • ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 8,287 ✭✭✭✭✭

Damn that's a good price. Too bad I don't need any more cigars right now.

Trapped in the People's Communits Republic of Massachusetts.

• silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,051 ✭✭✭✭✭

speaking of Cameroons, I bit on the DD for some of these (like I need more smokes:
    https://kohnhed.com/2013/06/20/cigar-review-graycliff-30-year-vintage/

I think someone was talking about this cigar a few weeks ago, yes?

edited August 2020

@peter4jc said:
    $28 shipped for ten Toros, just now on scorcher...

That place is dangerous! They have so many great deals. One could easily score in one day what would take a month of scouring and deal watching to achieve elsewhere. You could have a great collection delivered in one shot. For great prices to boot. Fantastic business strategy to be sure. They should run four deals at a time though...lol.