Having trouble with Whynter humidor

ScrappyfishScrappyfish Posts: 5
I just got the 1.5cu ft Whynter humidor 2 weeks ago . I can’t get the humidity below 75. I wiped all the wood down with distilled water as per instruction . Plugged it in let it run for the last week with no heartfelt beads and not water in pan the humidity is 75 . I have not put any cigars in it yet . I checked my humidity gauges with the salt method . They are correct . Even went to Lowe’s and got a different one all reading 75. Anybody have any ideas or solutions.

Comments

• peter4jcpeter4jc Milwaukee, WIPosts: 5,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 15
    What's the relative humidity in your room?

Just for fun, answer me this; how did you become convinced that a wineador was the thing to have?
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • ScrappyfishScrappyfish Posts: 5
    The relative humidity in the room is 55. 

To answer you other question . I needed a bigger humidor , I wanted something that was easy to maintain. My cousin has one that he keeps at our office . He likes his and has no problems with it . So I figured I would try it .
  • dirtdudedirtdude AZPosts: 4,788 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Open the door and let it air out, they are so airtight it will take a long time to go down closed up.
    A little dirt never hurt
  • YaksterYakster La Zona State of Mind when I haven't forgotten the coffee filtersPosts: 7,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 15
    Good advice, also adding cigars will help normalize the humidity. How many cigars do you have waiting for this process to finish? 

I nearly full humidor is more stable than a nearly empty one.
    I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today.

Join me on the Android vHerf (from link in Evernote on Android) or iOS vHerf Link -Chris
    dirtdude said:
    Open the door and let it air out, they are so airtight it will take a long time to go down closed up.
    That's why I asked.  Just leave it open for a day and check again.
  • BKDogBKDog NE PAPosts: 577 ✭✭✭✭✭
    All good information given. Did you add the Boveda packs yet?
    If you look at the bottom rear you will see a drain hole, you can plug it and see if it makes a difference. I plug mine and haven't had any issues. The only time you don't want to plug the hole is if you see moisture developing inside. Also, do not run the coolidor with a tray of water, that's for seasoning only. Use Boveda packs if you can, or if you prefer use unscented kitty litter or lastly, heartfelt or gel beads. After you add cigars and fill it up you ought to see a change in RH and it will take days to weeks to fully level out. Also try a cooler setting, you will find that temperature will affect the RH value to some extent. I generally use a 66F setting with Boveda on every level and maintain a stable 67-69RH at all times, with it bouncing back after being opened within a couple minutes.
    And check your warranty. If you can't get it settled, get a refund or exchange ASAP because coolidor units can be defective from the manufacturer. As a last resort if you can't do that or if it just isn't financially feasible, you can replace the circuit control board relatively cheap, if you know a little bit of soldering and have an hour to spend. You can search the website (from the Whynter sales rep) for replacement parts here: https://ambientstores.com/refrigeration-bar/wine-coolers/

"Love is a dung heap, Betty and I am but a c.o.c.k. that climbs upon it to crow."
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken already sucked before joining forum,.....just sayin'.Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭✭✭
    BKDog said:
    ......., or if you prefer use unscented, %100 Silica 
     kitty litter or lastly, heartfelt or gel beads. 
    FIFY
  • ScrappyfishScrappyfish Posts: 5
    Thank you for all the help . I have 100 sticks waiting in my old humidor for transfer , and a box of Nubs on the way . I took the water tray out . I will leave the door open for a couple days and see what happens . 
    And then come hang out and be a part of our community.  Now that we've helped you out, you owe us.  ;-)
  • YaksterYakster La Zona State of Mind when I haven't forgotten the coffee filtersPosts: 7,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
    BKDog said:
    If you look at the bottom rear you will see a drain hole, you can plug it and see if it makes a difference. I plug mine and haven't had any issues. The only time you don't want to plug the hole is if you see moisture developing inside. 

I had mine plugged for a while in my wine fridge, but did see moisture developing so I unplugged the drain hole and put a pack of Heartfelt beads at the bottom to absorb any moisture.  This resolved the issue.
    I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today.

Join me on the Android vHerf (from link in Evernote on Android) or iOS vHerf Link -Chris
  • CharlieHeisCharlieHeis South DakotaPosts: 5,593 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I checked my humidity gauges with the salt method.
    I prefer to check with a boveda packet vs. mixing my own salt solution. You may have mixed it spot on, but what if you didn't? 
    Ken Light MOW Badge 2014
    2015 Gang War - West Coast
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken already sucked before joining forum,.....just sayin'.Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 15
    Yes @Scrappyfish Welcome to the forum. Your first post went well. (You'd be surprised how may times we make it difficult.) Introduce yourself in the welcoming thread, tell us a little about yourself and all about how you got into cigars.

https://forum.cigar.com/discussion/3027/the-newbie-welcoming-thread