Home General Discussion
Options

The Precious

Comments

• Options
    VisionVision Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Krieg said:

@ShawnOL said:
    Just seal it all with water-based polyurethane. That should cut down on a lot of the smell.

will the polyurethane cause smell issues ?

A water base should not. It will also help with keeping in the humidity instead of seeping in and through. I honestly would hate to see all of those cigars thrown out in five years because of the unsmoke-ability

• Options
    KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭

@Vision said:

@Krieg said:

@ShawnOL said:
    Just seal it all with water-based polyurethane. That should cut down on a lot of the smell.

A water base should not. It will also help with keeping in the humidity instead of seeping in and through. I honestly would hate to see all of those cigars thrown out in five years because of the unsmoke-ability

Me too! I just did some searching and found this site for ordering Spainish Cedar. I hate to cover up the red cedar, but its my screw up. https://buy.advantagelumber.com/products/4-4-spanish-cedar-lumber-fl?currency=USD&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=Google Shopping

"Long ashes my friends."

• Options
    silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,278 ✭✭✭✭✭

Take your cigars out while it cures and airs out. After a few days close the door for a day then go in and smell. Repeat as necessary.

• Options

@Krieg said:

@Vision said:

@Krieg said:

@ShawnOL said:

Me too! I just did some searching and found this site for ordering Spainish Cedar. I hate to cover up the red cedar, but its my screw up. https://buy.advantagelumber.com/products/4-4-spanish-cedar-lumber-fl?currency=USD&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=Google Shopping

I would just pull it down, Albeit safely, and just try to sell it locally. I guarantee you get most of your money back. Beats having to seal it then cover

• Options
    edited January 2022

If you wanted to save some money you could just do a 3/16 or quarter inch veneer. The benefits of Spanish Cedar are no longer really needed with all of the bug control technology and freezing methods available to growers. Also, with an active humidification system you don't need the world to regulate the humidity as the device will do it for you

• Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,454 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Krieg said:

@ShawnOL said:

Not after it cures, which may take awhile. That's my take on it, anyway.

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options

Question...what finish would u guys recommend for the poly? matte?

"Long ashes my friends."

• Options

@Krieg said:

Functionally, no difference. Aesthetically, what do you like? What's the lighting going to be like? Do you want reflected shiny spots? Personally, I'd probably go with the matte. I think it would look more natural in this setting. If it were a surface I expected to scrub with any regularity, I'd go for gloss.

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    d_bladesd_blades Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭✭✭

Anyone have thoughts on how only sealing only one of three sides will work out?

Don't let the wife know what you spend on guns, ammo or cigars.

• Options

@Amos_Umwhat said:

@Krieg said:

Functionally, no difference. Aesthetically, what do you like? What's the lighting going to be like? Do you want reflected shiny spots? Personally, I'd probably go with the matte. I think it would look more natural in this setting. If it were a surface I expected to scrub with any regularity, I'd go for gloss.

thats what i was thinking, I have a hue light in there so lighting can change, so if matte won't change the color, then thats what I'll go with.

"Long ashes my friends."

• Options

@d_blades said:

? I'm sealing all four walls

"Long ashes my friends."

• Options
    peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭

Dave's meaning you're only sealing one side of each board's four sides.

"I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Options
    edited January 2022

I think he means one of the three sides of the cedar boards. The face. You'll still have aromatic compounds releasing from the untreated sides. I'd think that if the joints are tight this would be a minimal impact, perhaps providing only a faint background odor. Assuming you're coating after the boards are in place, the urethane should fill the gaps, no problem.

• Options
    edited January 2022

@d_blades said:

? I'm sealing all four walls> @Amos_Umwhat said:

I think he means one of the three sides of the cedar boards. The face. You'll still have aromatic compounds releasing from the untreated sides. I'd think that if the joints are tight this would be a minimal impact, perhaps providing only a faint background odor. Assuming you're coating after the boards are in place, the urethane should fill the gaps, no problem.

Ahhh, i gotcha. Question makes sense now. I will probably also do two coats just to make sure.

"Long ashes my friends."

• Options
    VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 16,730 ✭✭✭✭✭

Man I saw 20 new comments in this thread this morning and thought we were in for a barn burner.

I think that if you seal what you can see, 99% of the problem or more goes away. It will also help with humidity retention. Since you didn't have a vapor barrier, you might have had a hard time keeping the RH where you want it. The urethane seal should solve most of that too.

If you're going to seal it, I wouldn't worry about adding Spanish cedar planks. Spanish cedar in your shelves and your boxes should be plenty. Still, maybe buying a couple of planks and sanding them down every 6 months would add a really nice aroma to the closet, and probably cover up any residual cedar smell that might remain.

Don't look ↑
  • Options

If you are worried about the remaining less than 1%, then you can apply a silicone strip into all the joints of the wood. Maybe using a caulking gun to make it faster. Personally, I wouldn't worry about that last 1%.

Don't look ↑
  • Options

@VegasFrank said:
    Man I saw 20 new comments in this thread this morning and thought we were in for a barn burner.

I think that if you seal what you can see, 99% of the problem or more goes away. It will also help with humidity retention. Since you didn't have a vapor barrier, you might have had a hard time keeping the RH where you want it. The urethane seal should solve most of that too.

If you're going to seal it, I wouldn't worry about adding Spanish cedar planks. Spanish cedar in your shelves and your boxes should be plenty. Still, maybe buying a couple of planks and sanding them down every 6 months would add a really nice aroma to the closet, and probably cover up any residual cedar smell that might remain.

Thanks Frank, Moved all my cigars back into my wineador and I just put the first coat of the PU on. I think you're right about the 1%, I made my shelves out of regular cedar, not red(aromatic) do you think I should seal those as well?

"Long ashes my friends."

• Options

@Vision said:

@Krieg said:

@Vision said:

@Krieg said:

@ShawnOL said:

I would just pull it down, Albeit safely, and just try to sell it locally. I guarantee you get most of your money back. Beats having to seal it then cover

I thought about doing this, but I put those planks up using nails and liquid nail...overkill probably...but i didnt want my cigars to come crashing down. I'd probably destroy the cedar trying to pull it off, not to mention the walls.

"Long ashes my friends."

• Options
    PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,744 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am no mike Walker but here goes. Firstly, how did you install this? Is possible to remove without destroying the boards? Now to the backer, 5/8ths green board? Still might want to look into a backer, depending on how you did your corners and joints. Looks like overlapping corners not 45d, this might lead to build up of moisture, unless you sealed the overlap. As far as sealing it now, research it. You still will probably be defeating the purpose of the wood. Sealants clog the pours of the wood not allowing moisture to penetrate. I agree that water based is best, but I still would not be super comfortable with this. I don’t think you have to use all Spanish cedar for the walls, research an alternative for walk in humidors. Long term storage in large spaces is drastically different than small spaces. My opinion. I would strongly suggest you look into this more before you do anything. But pull the cigars in the meantime.

"We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
  • Options

Never mind on install, just read.

"We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
  • Options

@Trykflyr_1 will definitely know more about what should be done here?

MOW badge received.
  • Options
    ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 8,425 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Krieg said:

@VegasFrank said:

Thanks Frank, Moved all my cigars back into my wineador and I just put the first coat of the PU on. I think you're right about the 1%, I made my shelves out of regular cedar, not red(aromatic) do you think I should seal those as well?

Yes.

Trapped in the People's Communits Republic of Massachusetts.

• Options

@peter4jc said:
    Holy fvcking Toledo!!!

My hat's off to you, Krieg. This turn of events was unexpected. I thought you would dig in your heels and say 'I like it the way it is, and that's that'. But here we have a man who can take advice and change his mind. My hat's off to you, sir. You're a better man than I.

my dad always told me no matter how much you think you know, there is always someone out there that knows more, and you'd be a fool not to listen to them.

"Long ashes my friends."

• Options

Good advice and good luck with your room! Keep us updated!

Don't look ↑
  • Options
    Trykflyr_1Trykflyr_1 Posts: 2,500 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hell, fellahs, I’m torn. Tried to pull the vid up but it won’t run for me. Sealing things sounds like a good idea, but I think you’re going to run into a huge moisture issue with any kind of added humidification system. There’s not going to be anything (or at least not much) open to absorb excess humidity. You’ve already started the seal coat so I’d press on with that, then let it run a week or so with no humidification system; see where it sits temp & rH wise. You may not need anything extra or just minimal humidifcation. Did you run LED lighting? Lights inside that sealed & airtight space will jack the temp up a bit too.

It looks pretty skookum tho! Nice damn job!

I'm still troubled by what I did for that Klondike bar...
  • Options

@Trykflyr_1 said:
    Hell, fellahs, I’m torn. Tried to pull the vid up but it won’t run for me. Sealing things sounds like a good idea, but I think you’re going to run into a huge moisture issue with any kind of added humidification system. There’s not going to be anything (or at least not much) open to absorb excess humidity. You’ve already started the seal coat so I’d press on with that, then let it run a week or so with no humidification system; see where it sits temp & rH wise. You may not need anything extra or just minimal humidifcation. Did you run LED lighting? Lights inside that sealed & airtight space will jack the temp up a bit too.

It looks pretty skookum tho! Nice damn job!

Thanks! I ran a LED hue light in there. I have a humidifier that uses a bluetooth/wifi sensor that has a target range of 68%. Which it keeps within 3 percentages of target RH. So far, the only issue I have with RH is the threshold gap. Which is fixable, just havent done it yet. My work around for now is just using a towel to block it. ;)

"Long ashes my friends."

• Options

Quick update...so after a few days the PU smell is pretty much gone. I really appreciate the heads up on this guys! Question...do you think I should find some spainish cedar and add it? I was thinking about taking some and gluing it underside of the shelves?

"Long ashes my friends."