Home General Discussion
Options

The Precious

Comments

• Options
    IndustMechIndustMech Posts: 4,696 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wouldn't glue the Spanish Cedar, you want as much of the surface area exposed as possible.

What about empty cigar boxes made of Spanish Cedar. Some retailers sell them cheap or even give them away.

1/4 x 4 x 36" Spanish Cedar is $14 @ Woodcraft

I know, You're a big dog and I'm on the list.
    Let's eat, GrandMa.  /  Let's eat GrandMa.  --  Punctuation saves lives

It'll be fine once the swelling goes down.

• Options
    KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2022

@IndustMech said:
    I wouldn't glue the Spanish Cedar, you want as much of the surface area exposed as possible.

What about empty cigar boxes made of Spanish Cedar. Some retailers sell them cheap or even give them away.

Ahh...didnt even think of that. I have a TON of old cigar boxes that I boxed up in my garage somewhere. Maybe I will dig those out and use those. Great idea! Question...what is "Woodcraft"? probably a website I'm not familar with unfortunately.

"Long ashes my friends."

• Options
    Trykflyr_1Trykflyr_1 Posts: 2,500 ✭✭✭✭✭

https://www.woodcraft.com

Woodworking supply site.

I'm still troubled by what I did for that Klondike bar...
  • Options

@Trykflyr_1 said:

Woodworking supply site.

Yup, they have a store 20 miles from me.

• Options
    VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 16,796 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2022

Trying to talk my wife into that too. I have a walk-in closet that is currently toy storage. 57 ft with a 9 ft ceiling. All interior walls. No power though, so that'll cost. 500 cubic feet? That'd be a pretty Kick-Ass walk in

I figure I would put the tower and two wineadors right into it and then add shelving and stuff. California closet style but probably plastic. I'd also like to change the door so the entrance comes out of my hallway instead of out of my master bath. Oh now you guys have me thinking...

Don't look ↑
  • Options
    PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭✭✭

@IndustMech said:

@Trykflyr_1 said:

Woodworking supply site.

There is one even closer to my house. This is where Bill got the wood for his entryway.

"We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
  • Options
    deadmandeadman Posts: 8,804 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Krieg said:

@IndustMech said:

Ahh...didnt even think of that. I have a TON of old cigar boxes that I boxed up in my garage somewhere. Maybe I will dig those out and use those. Great idea! Question...what is "Woodcraft"? probably a website I'm not familar with unfortunately.

I didn’t get to work on it lately but I started a tower conversion. I have a bunch of slide top boxes to use. Lids fill the walls and bases will get turned into storage bins for organizing

• Options
    edited January 2022

@Patrickbrick said:

@IndustMech said:

@Trykflyr_1 said:

Woodworking supply site.

There is one even closer to my house. This is where Bill got the wood for his entryway.

Something special about getting Wood at Woodcraft in Woodridge

I'm sure Bill loves this store.

• Options

looks like there will be alot of pissed off wives out there who want pantries or closets that will end up w/ a humidor instead, LOL. Feel free to blame me, ill take one for the BOTL team ;)

"Long ashes my friends."

• Options

I just looked up the Woodcraft store, There are a few of them in Ga. Guess I know what I'm doing next weekend! ;) thx for the tip.

"Long ashes my friends."

• Options
    Trykflyr_1Trykflyr_1 Posts: 2,500 ✭✭✭✭✭

@VegasFrank said:
    Trying to talk my wife into that too. I have a walk-in closet that is currently toy storage. 57 ft with a 9 ft ceiling. All interior walls. No power though, so that'll cost. 500 cubic feet? That'd be a pretty Kick-Ass walk in

I figure I would put the tower and two wineadors right into it and then add shelving and stuff. California closet style but probably plastic. I'd also like to change the door so the entrance comes out of my hallway instead of out of my master bath. Oh now you guys have me thinking...

There’s gotta be a GFI outlet in that master bath you can tap off. If you’re gonna cover the walls anyway just locate the outlet box, pop the drywall off the closet wall behind it & tap off that circuit. White to white, black to black, bare to bare. Only thing you need to check is what else is on that circuit and how many amps it all will draw. Or if there’s a light in there, just tap that light circuit at the switch and run it to an outlet for your humidifier. Easy.

I'm still troubled by what I did for that Klondike bar...
  • Options

I had an outlet on the outside of my closet, when I was building out my basement I just turned it around to face inside the humidor. I also reframed the door to open into my office.

"Long ashes my friends."

• Options

Got some spainish cedar veneers from Woodworks, man these smell good. Gonna set them in my humidor. REALLY should get it smelling really good now.

"Long ashes my friends."

• Options
    Hobbes86Hobbes86 Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sounds like things are coming along! It's gonna be a great space.

"Iron sharpens iron, and one man sharpens another." - Proverbs 27:17

• Options

@Hobbes86 said:
    Sounds like things are coming along! It's gonna be a great space.

yeah, the cedar veneers really add alot to it. I started on my 2nd set of shelves this last weekend.

"Long ashes my friends."

• Options
    OwenOwen Posts: 442 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nah. I’m building it with the wood I wanted to build it with

• Options

SMH

• Options
    VisionVision Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Owen said:
    I’m doing the same thing in the new house. Lol just started it today

For keeping clothes in or cigars?

• Options

It will be sealed. Went with that for the looks

• Options
    VisionVision Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Owen said:
    It will be sealed. Went with that for the looks

Ohh thank god

• Options

Well the looks and I got a good deal off someone getting rid of it.

• Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,119 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2022

I would not trust red cedar in a humidor. I could coat all six sides of each board with an eighth of an inch of polyurethane and I still wouldn’t trust it. Red cedar is full of natural oils and will still be curing for years to come. I don’t trust it.

• Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,119 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't want to be negative. These red cedar boards are beautiful. But I felt it was best to say it, so that somebody reading this thread years from now understands that not everyone on this forum thought as long as you put sealer on it, it's going to be OK to have red cedar in a humidor.
    But I do wish you luck, and I hope you guys have great results sealing the red cedar to minimize the negative consequences while still enjoying the positive aspects. I think it's a question yet to be answered. "Will this work?" Keep us posted.

• Options
    PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree Bob, plus there could be other unforeseen consequences with humidity and such as well.

"We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
  • Options
    peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,528 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe buy a box of 10 cigars, keep 5 in a tupperdor and have 5 in your Precious (man alive, I don't know why Precious sounds lame, but it's yours and you do you) and smoke them on the 1st anniversary of Precious' christening, and subsequent anniversaries, and see what happens.

"I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis