Home Cigar 101
Options

Interesting cigars

OutdoorsSmoke_21191OutdoorsSmoke_21191 Posts: 986 ✭✭✭✭✭

Let me preface by saying I have been smoking cigars for a long time (which doesn’t mean much). I’ve found what I enjoy over the years and have pretty much stayed with my ‘go to’ cigars. I’m looking to get advice from y’all on this forum on interesting cigars to try. I see many different cigars y’all are smoking…many, quite frankly, I’ve never heard of. I just put in an order of various singles to begin trying new sticks. Cigars I usually smoke…medium to full body…VSG, Padron 64, Diamond Crown maximus , EP Carillo, Monte Cristo platinum/red, CAO Flathead/L’anniversary, LFD, Caldwell, AF short story/Hemingway, Symmetry, La Barba, AJ Fernandez …etc. Any suggestions are appreciated. Thank you in advance.

A good cigar and whiskey solve most problems.

Comments

• Options
    ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 8,407 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tatuaje and Viaje are popular as well.

Trapped in the People's Communits Republic of Massachusetts.

• Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,445 ✭✭✭✭✭

Like yourself, @OutdoorsSmoke_21191 , I came here having been a cigar smoker for many years and thought I knew a bit about it. I didn't, really. It was an eye-opening experience.

The suggestions above are an excellent starting point.

Watch the "What are you smoking...?" threads and you'll see all kinds of cigars you may have never heard of, and if you're seeing them regularly here, they're a good bet.

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,441 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm surprised Chris @Yakster has posted his compilation of the Ccom Forum's Top 25 Of The Year threads yet. That's your typical reply to these kinds of questions, Chris, and I always assumed you had all those links in some sort of document, since you're usually so quick on the draw.

"I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Options
    silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,261 ✭✭✭✭✭

Check out reviews for Roma Craft, Warped, Illusione, Byron....

• Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 25,771 ✭✭✭✭✭

I usually cut and paste a previous response with the info from the Newbie Welcoming Thread with the links you mentioned, just haven't gotten around to it yet.

Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options
    ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 8,407 ✭✭✭✭✭

You can't go wrong with anything made by K. Hansotia. :D

Trapped in the People's Communits Republic of Massachusetts.

• Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,030 ✭✭✭✭✭

@OutdoorsSmoke_21191
    Get involved in the games we play. That means trades, passes and bombs. You have good cigars, any of the ones you mentioned seem like stuff any of us would enjoy trading for. And you’ll get random fine cigars in return, most of which will be new to you. And it’s always fun to smoke new cigars that you may decide are excellent cigars and fondly remember who introduced you to them.

• Options

You could also jump on our regular vHerf Zoom call which kicks off around 5:21 PM Pacific time almost every day. There's a Leaf & Libations blind tasting tonight at the same time so many of us will be over there until it end.

We smoke and gab and it's always nice when someone new joins with new stories and that we can give advice to. There's a link in my signature to the vHerf.

• Options

Great responses … thank you for sharing. Some of the aforementioned suggestions I have tried and some are now on my radar. I do like the whatcha smoking threads…that’s where I see many cigars I would like to get familiar with. I will join the trading group once I can get a sponsor. I have familiarized myself with the rules and understand the importance of communicating and shipping details. The zoom calls I could participate here and there since I’m not retired yet. I’m going to have to ask…what is the significance of 5:21??? Lol?

• Options
    HawksHawks Posts: 958 ✭✭✭✭✭

@OutdoorsSmoke_21191 said:
    … since I’m not retired yet.

Oooohh! Shots fired! 😉🤣

Nolite Oblivisci Peniculus Dentes

• Options

Hopefully I can join you guys soon. Retirement…never lol

• Options
    silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,261 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2023

I’m going to have to ask…what is the significance of 5:21??? Lol?
    And not a minute sooner. BTW, don't assume the cigars i smoke are recommended, I will smoke anything.
    Edit...5:21 is no less exact than 5:20.

• Options

I picked 5:21 PM Pacific time out of the air to give it a false sense of certainty and to catch your attention, the vHerf usually gets started around that time, more or less. An oil refinery on the Central Coast of California has 23 MPH traffic signs, since it's oddly specific it is supposed to catch your attention and increase safety.

• Options
    d_bladesd_blades Posts: 3,730 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2023

Not often you'll see safety and the vherf in the same posting.

Don't let the wife know what you spend on guns, ammo or cigars.

• Options

@Bob_Luken said:
    @OutdoorsSmoke_21191
    Get involved in the games we play. That means trades, passes and bombs. You have good cigars, any of the ones you mentioned seem like stuff any of us would enjoy trading for. And you’ll get random fine cigars in return, most of which will be new to you. And it’s always fun to smoke new cigars that you may decide are excellent cigars and fondly remember who introduced you to them.

What are the games most of you enjoy and participate in…BTW happy belated birthday

• Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,030 ✭✭✭✭✭

@OutdoorsSmoke_21191 said:

@Bob_Luken said:
    @OutdoorsSmoke_21191

What are the games most of you enjoy and participate in…BTW happy belated birthday

Me? I don't play as many games as I used to because I'm a lazy **** who takes forever to get around to it, and then when I do get around to it, I take forever to select what I wish to send and packing it up takes forever too. But it's fun when I do.

I would recommend bombing a few random members, (or bomb someone specific), If you need an address, send me a PM (private message) and I'll see if I have it, or we'll find somebody who does. Think up an interesting contest and send a prize pack to the winner. Play the monthly lottery. If you do all that, your activity will spread like a virus and you'll have packages coming and going and the US postal service will be a tad bit richer. You'll be busier than a one-armed wallpaper hanger. Better you than me. LOL

• Options

@Bob_Luken said:

>

You'll be busier than a one-armed wallpaper hanger. Better you than me. LOL

LOL...Very close to one of my favorite sayings in the construction biz...busier than a one-armed board (fascia) hanger.

Thanks for the advice...I will take you up on your offer in the near future.