Home Non Cigar Related

Paris Olympics 2024

First_WarriorFirst_Warrior Posts: 3,348 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thought I'd start a thread about the Olympics. I'll be watching all nations coming together for this historic event. It is the gathering of the best athletes in the world. I like it all but I really like the track and field and gymnastics. Waiting to see who is the fastest man and the fastest woman on the planet and the beauty of the beam, vault, bars, and floor.

Comments

• ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 9,192 ✭✭✭✭✭

They made break dancing an Olympic event. Pass.

Trapped in the People's Communist Republic of Massachusetts.

• Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,679 ✭✭✭✭✭

They made mocking Jesus Christ an event. Lost me there.

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • VisionVision Posts: 8,231 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ShawnOL said:
    They made break dancing an Olympic event. Pass.

And riding a horse prancing around is better? Race Walking.... old person shiit right there. Badminton..... we do that shiit drunk at pool parties. That's a get off my lawn take on Breaking.

They need to go through the list and get rid of anything that's not athletic.

• TRayBTRayB Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 28

We watched a bit of the Rugby Seven Bronze, and Gold/Silver matches. Fiji had its first ever loss of a match in the Olympics, to France, no less. I don't understand the rules, like when a guy gets tackled, then can flip to a teammate and keep on playing, but it was fun to watch, and those guys are jacked.

Some of the Fijian (?) players had tears streaming down their faces during the playing of their National Anthem. It's a huge deal for them to represent their country.

• YaksterYakster Posts: 27,106 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 28

Water Polo is an aggressive sport. Back in my day, players would grow their toenails out.

Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 28

@Yakster said:
    Water Polo is an aggressive sport. Back in my day, players would grow their toenails out.

I googled it and found out it's older, as an organized sport than basketball, and made it into the Olympics in 1900 vs 1936 for basketball. Plus, some of the original rules were crazy. The goalies used to be outside the pool and would jump in to body check opponent who attempted a score.
    Per Wikipedia
    Early play allowed brute strength, wrestling and holding opposing players underwater to recover the ball. Players held underwater for lengthy periods usually surrendered possession. The goalie stood outside the playing area and defended the goal by jumping in on any opponent attempting to score

• CharlieHeisCharlieHeis Posts: 8,419 ✭✭✭✭✭

I enjoy many more of the winter events. I don't have any form of cable right now so I doubt I'll watch any. But water polo does sound fun.

• rsherman24rsherman24 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭✭✭

I watched some surfing today (they were in Tahiti since Paris doesn’t have surfing waves). Interesting to watch, but seems a little bias on getting a good wave

• CalvinAndHoboCalvinAndHobo Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭✭✭

One of my strong takes is about swimming. Every swimming event should just be done in terms of getting from point A to point B. The different strokes are dumb. However you can swim the fastest if a shark is chasing you, should be how you swim in the Olympics.

For the running events, there's not a 100M running forward, then another 100M running backwards, and a third 100M for skipping. It's all just running. Why would anyone ever swim the butterfly stroke for any reason out in real life?

• silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 20,393 ✭✭✭✭✭

athletics are stupid, all events should be for useful activities,,,bricklaying, oyster shucking, roof shingling, precision machining, etc.

Yeah true, good point. I would absolutely love to watch what you just described though for what it's worth.

• dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,791 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah, how about a team event with an oyster shucker and an oyster eater

A little dirt never hurt
  • KsqsmokingKsqsmoking Posts: 399 ✭✭✭✭✭

I shared this in another thread, but thought it made sense here as well.

The obstacle is the way.

I thought of a swimming contest I'd like to see. Something we all did as kids. Who can swim the farthest underwater without coming up for air.

• peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 16,171 ✭✭✭✭✭

@rsherman24 said:
    I watched some surfing today (they were in Tahiti since Paris doesn’t have surfing waves). Interesting to watch, but seems a little bias on getting a good wave

From yesterday...
    Stunning photo of Olympic surfer’s mid-air celebration goes viral

"I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Al_K_LloydAl_K_Lloyd Posts: 48 ✭✭

@CalvinAndHobo said:
    One of my strong takes is about swimming. Every swimming event should just be done in terms of getting from point A to point B. The different strokes are dumb. However you can swim the fastest if a shark is chasing you, should be how you swim in the Olympics.

For the running events, there's not a 100M running forward, then another 100M running backwards, and a third 100M for skipping. It's all just running. Why would anyone ever swim the butterfly stroke for any reason out in real life?

Dissenting opinion.
    If one is ok at the crawl but a city-stomping monster in the butterfly, I think it’s important to have a way to recognize that.

There is nothing more helpless and irresponsible than a man in the depths of an ether binge.

Hunter S. Thompson

@dirtdude said:
    You are correct, we never came out with turds in our teeth, apparently the filters worked.

Filters are tight!
    They intercepted sh !t

There is nothing more helpless and irresponsible than a man in the depths of an ether binge.

Hunter S. Thompson

edited July 31

In other news, aside from kvelling over that lion-hearted Simone Biles …
    saw a wonderful table-tennis match between China and North Korea.

While I’m not a fan of either nation’s regime, I gotta give props to the great athletes on both sides.

Hunter S. Thompson

No fire in the Olympic torch. Econuts didn't want to burn fuels.

• Rdp77Rdp77 Posts: 6,391 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, they could have put the fire out in their clean, pollution free river that they take such good care of.

• silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 20,393 ✭✭✭✭✭

And no worries about the millions of gallons of fuel burned just getting to Paris for the event.

• VisionVision Posts: 8,231 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ahh!!!! I had this well thought out and lengthy response about the safety and the fuel usage and the symbolism behind the Cauldron..... it was Frank length worthy! And I go back to check and it never posted! WTF!