Home Non Cigar Related

rent or house payments

Comments

• jw517jw517 Posts: 234 ✭✭✭
    dirtdude said:
    Here's a timely discussion, just got an offer on our house today so am scrambling to find a place, rent or buy or just move in with Mom & Dad. Not.
    I'm so old,all my elders are gone now. Who can I move in with? :(
  • YaksterYakster Posts: 25,531 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The kids?
    I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
    Now your scaring me. I don't think I could handle living with my kids again. I'm sure they would be thrilled though. Guess I'll wait for Peter to offer.
    Are you saying no? Don't beat around the bush. I don't eat much,and I'm toilet trained.
  • Sleddog46Sleddog46 Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jw517 said:
    dirtdude said:
    Here's a timely discussion, just got an offer on our house today so am scrambling to find a place, rent or buy or just move in with Mom & Dad. Not.
    I'm so old,all my elders are gone now. Who can I move in with? :(
    You know what, that's the truth, what do you do when you have no family or relatives that can help you if and when you get into this type of situation.
    You can't dispel Ignorance if you retain Arrogance!
    Tony, you & I know we are totally screwed. What this country did to Native Americans is totally appalling to me. l hate the lies and deceptions that this country has fed us. I just wish there was a compromise that could work for every AMERICAN but doubt that will ever happen. I'm so sorry to live in this country under these conditions. I had more hope & belief that we were better than this but obviously we aren't. 
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    It amazes me that senior citizens in this nation are treated the same as those on welfare. Yet in other countries, they are trying to lower the retirement ages, while the good ol' US of A is trying to raise it to 70. 
    W...T.......F?

Oh wait, people are living longer, they say.
    Well, maybe so, but people who work jobs, like loggers, commercial fishermen, mechanics, construction workers and most any other manual labor are not going to be able to do their jobs much past 60.
    And those companies will be looking to move them or get rid of them.

And these stupid little whelps who think that it should be all for them and screw the senior citizens, cause social security is welfare (they evidently don't know it is paid for by the people), will eventually be old and screwed even worse.
    So the joke is on them. LOL!

Can't wait for the new taxes to set in.
    I paid over $19K in taxes last year. This year is supposed to be another +3%?
    Should be awesome. Uhg!
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    We moved in with Mom and Dad once.  Builder had delays getting our house up.  We thought it would be a couple months; lasted 9.  It sucked.
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
    Sleddog46 said:
    Tony, you & I know we are totally screwed. What this country did to Native Americans is totally appalling to me. l hate the lies and deceptions that this country has fed us. I just wish there was a compromise that could work for every AMERICAN but doubt that will ever happen. I'm so sorry to live in this country under these conditions. I had more hope & belief that we were better than this but obviously we aren't. 
    I have cried watching how little help this nation gives Native Americans. You don't have to travel to another country to see a third world nation. Go to South Dakota and visit Pine Ridge or Rose Bud,or Lower Brule agencies and you will see first hand. Unemployment pushes 75 percent. Life expectancy is nearly half of the the rest of this country. All we have done is lie to the Indian people,take all their land,give them reservations to call their own and then take that and make them move again.  These are people we should emulate not try to eradicate . 
    @Sleddog46 and @jw517
    Without going too much into it, they hurt themselves as much as were hurt by the US govt. 
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
    Native Americans have the greatest partisapation in the armed forces of any group in the United States. I guess they get hurt that way.
  • Usaf06Usaf06 Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭✭
    0patience said:
    It amazes me that senior citizens in this nation are treated the same as those on welfare. Yet in other countries, they are trying to lower the retirement ages, while the good ol' US of A is trying to raise it to 70. 
    W...T.......F?

Well, maybe so, but people who work jobs, like loggers, commercial fishermen, mechanics, construction workers and most any other manual labor are not going to be able to do their jobs much past 60.

And these stupid little whelps who think that it should be all for them and screw the senior citizens, cause social security is welfare (they evidently don't know it is paid for by the people), will eventually be old and screwed even worse.

Should be awesome. Uhg!
    Retirement age is what you want it to be. My retirement age is 50. I can retire in 10 years. SS was not set up as a retirement fund. It was set up to assist you when you retire. We all make our own decisions in life and part of those decisions better be how you are preparing for retirement. If you havent prepared for it then plan on being miserable till you die. Thats the facts. 
    "I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

"LET'S GO FRANCIS"     Peter

@Usaf06
    Agreed. But..
    If I retire before 60, I get hit with a huge penalty tax. Which is being changed to 63 right now for younger people. In years to come, that will go up to 65 and on and on. 
    This is govt and private companies going this route. 

So in most cases, early retirement isn't really possible, unless you can take the loss.

So yes, you can build your retirement and retire any time, but at a cost.

In 6 years, I plan on retiring. I won't be able to collect social security for another 5 years. I'll be able to, but again, with penalties if I do. So I will wait until I'm at least 65. Possibly longer if the numbers play out.
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,320 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tony... you're saying you get a penalty tax if you retire early?  That doesn't sound right.  Or are you saying you'll get penalized because you won't get as much per month?

Retiring early at less than the full amount of S.S. is only a big deal if I didn't plan ahead and store up some other streams of income.  Granted, sh*t happens, and sometimes even when we do our best our plans come to naught.  We just have to be careful to not put our well-being on the govt's. shoulders.

I probably spend $300/mo. on cigars, maybe more.  Whatever the number is for each of us, we better not be shelling out that kind of cash on sticks and griping about the cost of housing or lack of govt. support.
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
    peter4jc said:
    Tony... you're saying you get a penalty tax if you retire early?  That doesn't sound right.  Or are you saying you'll get penalized because you won't get as much per month?

Retiring early at less than the full amount of S.S. is only a big deal if I didn't plan ahead and store up some other streams of income.  Granted, sh*t happens, and sometimes even when we do our best our plans come to naught.  We just have to be careful to not put our well-being on the govt's. shoulders.

I probably spend $300/mo. on cigars, maybe more.  Whatever the number is for each of us, we better not be shelling out that kind of cash on sticks and griping about the cost of housing or lack of govt. support.
    Most regular,casual,meek,mild, moderates, don't buy 300.00 worth of cigars per month. "Do they"? Paul Ryan was threatening to take any type of luxury away from seniors. They need to spend all their money on medications or heating. That Paul Ryan is sure looking out for us seniors best interests! What a nice young man.
    @peter4jc
    I'm not talking a penalty on social security, but a tax on early withdrawal of retirement benefits. 

I have 3 retirements. 2 are govt and one private. All 3 will be hit with a Fed and State penalty tax, if I start drawing on them before age 60. Although,  the govt ones will allow you to pull before 60,  IF you have 30 years in (20 for police and responders). At 60, I will have 28 years in. 

So yes, that is what I am saying.
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • Usaf06Usaf06 Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jw517 said:
    peter4jc said:

Most regular,casual,meek,mild, moderates, don't buy 300.00 worth of cigars per month. "Do they"? Paul Ryan was threatening to take any type of luxury away from seniors. They need to spend all their money on medications or heating. That Paul Ryan is sure looking out for us seniors best interests! What a nice young man.
    $300 is modest
    "I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

"LET'S GO FRANCIS"     Peter

jw517 said:
    Most regular,casual,meek,mild, moderates, don't buy 300.00 worth of cigars per month. "Do they"? 
    Maybe you are simply afraid to take a closer look and admit it to yourself...  take the average number of sticks per day, multiply that by the average cost, and multiply that by 30 = amount spent per month.

Many are way over $300/mo.  Some are less.  But in regard to this conversation, whatever it is, cigars are a luxury (well, for @Patrickbrick they're a necessity so he doesn't go insane) and if you have money for cigars then you can't complain about living expenses.
    edited February 2018
    Oh,never mind . :) let's stop counting the money. I'm getting depressed.
    When I was 13-14 I had a hunting /fishing buddy who was 85 years old. His name was Harry Harms and he always had a cigar in his mouth! 90 percent of the time it was not lit,and two inches if it was all flat and wet in his mouth. He smoked Mureal Magnums. I asked him how many he smoked per day and he said,"about 25". I'm not kidding! He did die of throat cancer at about age 95. Just saying.
    Well I started this discussion because younger folks were having a hard time meeting their housing needs. But I guess that we're not allowed to discuss things like that.

So you're saying that people right but it shouldn't be able to buy cigars or enjoy any kind of luxury? Or if they do, they shouldn't be able to be concerned about the cost of living?

I forget this is a cigar forum and we shouldn't talk about anything other than luxury items. I will remind myself not to make that mistake again.

My bad.
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
    You know what I'm saying Tony... don't get all weird on us now.

What would you tell your kid if he says he's broke, can't pay for rent, needs your money, but is spending $300/month on cigars?
  • PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,722 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would go insane without cigars and this fine group of folks, true indeed.  In regards to rent mortgage issues, my mom and dad taught me the value of the dollar young and proceeded throughout my life to reinforce those teachings.  Granted I'm very lucky to have the gift of gab and was able to make a good living out of it.  I had friends who were not as fortunate and certainly times are tough and jobs/pay is not what it used to be, but as bob Dylan said "you got to keep on keeping on".  Anyway that being stated there is a difference between a need and want, the younger we figure this difference out the better off we are long term.  Now let's get back to our relaxing hobby of smoking!
    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
    peter4jc said:
    You know what I'm saying Tony... don't get all weird on us now.

What would you tell your kid if he says he's broke, can't pay for rent, needs your money, but is spending $300/month on cigars?
    LOL!
    I'd tell my kid he was a moron.
    Oh wait. I do that already.

Not all of us smoke every day or multiples per day. 
    Especially during the crappy weather season. 
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
    Usaf06 said:
    0patience said:
    W...T.......F?

Should be awesome. Uhg!
    Retirement age is what you want it to be. My retirement age is 50. I can retire in 10 years. SS was not set up as a retirement fund. It was set up to assist you when you retire. We all make our own decisions in life and part of those decisions better be how you are preparing for retirement. If you havent prepared for it then plan on being miserable till you die. Thats the facts. 
    That's Bullshit... I HAD to retire at 62 because I could no longer do my job due to Rheumatoid, Osteo, & psoriatic arthritus. I've been trying to get permanent disability but once again the Government makes you jump through all their hoops. I've had to retain an attorney and this is going on for 3 years now. So spare me your statement about the decisions we make.
  • Diver43Diver43 Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jw517 said:
    peter4jc said:

Would you please explain this?  I have read your posts and leaving the political bias aside agree not all that should be done is.  But what is this deal about Paul Ryan?
    What exactly does the US Government owe you, and why?
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5