Home Non Cigar Related

rent or house payments

124»

Comments

• Captain_CallCaptain_Call Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My wife is nagging me to buy. I did the math, and if I sell all my internal organs, my first born, work 26 hours a day for the next 40 years, I could pull it off. It's so frustrating to see how big a job it is to do, with how little I have to work with
  • EchambersEchambers Posts: 4,178 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My wife is nagging me to buy. I did the math, and if I sell all my internal organs, my first born, work 26 hours a day for the next 40 years, I could pull it off. It's so frustrating to see how big a job it is to do, with how little I have to work with
    Some might say you are not working hard enough or you made too many poor choices. I wouldn't say that thought. 
    -- "There's something that doesn't make sense. Let's go poke it with a stick."
  • Captain_CallCaptain_Call Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll openly admit I made some poor choices. I was given a fair shake and I threw it away.

I could drop cash on a decent 4 bedroom 3 bath in town on a quarter acre. The problem is that the city won't let you graze 18 horses on a plot that small. The property I have my sights on is a full section. Even at rock bottom prices, I'm looking at an even half million before any development. Tack another quarter million on for all it would take to make it livable, septic, well, driveway, a simple modular. And of course I would need some kind of outbuildings. Call it 900k by the time I'm done. It's part of the territory when you marry the horse girl.
  • EchambersEchambers Posts: 4,178 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll openly admit I made some poor choices. I was given a fair shake and I threw it away.

I could drop cash on a decent 4 bedroom 3 bath in town on a quarter acre. The problem is that the city won't let you graze 18 horses on a plot that small. The property I have my sights on is a full section. Even at rock bottom prices, I'm looking at an even half million before any development. Tack another quarter million on for all it would take to make it livable, septic, well, driveway, a simple modular. And of course I would need some kind of outbuildings. Call it 900k by the time I'm done. It's part of the territory when you marry the horse girl.
    You know I was kidding, right?
    -- "There's something that doesn't make sense. Let's go poke it with a stick."
  • Diver43Diver43 Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As soon as I retire the house will be for sale, it will either be paid off or only a few payments from it.  Procedes will put us in a pool or patio home with no yard maintenance and minimal upkeep.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Diver43 said:
    As soon as I retire the house will be for sale, it will either be paid off or only a few payments from it.  Procedes will put us in a pool or patio home with no yard maintenance and minimal upkeep.
    Our house is paid off. 
    We will keep it though, but may sell off just about everything else.
    We will buy a motorhome and travel the country and I will sit at Fenway park again. 

In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • YournamehereYournamehere Posts: 63 ✭✭✭
    Wow guys this was a very interesting read! I know we all come from different places and that we all have our issues. Personally I don’t know how the younger generation will make it out of college or any type of training and get a job that can support them. It’s sad to see what has happened to what we thought would be a good future and scary at times. Personally I’m on the “screwed” end of retirement and already am aware I’ll work my whole life. As said about us laborers we don’t have the best longevity. Now people can say it was our choice to do so and you’d be right...but without us you’d be screwed. Now back to housing...I’m looking to buy since where I live it’s only a few hundred more to buy a month then to rent. I will need to move to a not as nice area but I’m also in a place that is now booming with younger richer people. I’m blessed that my parents always tried to preach the power of saving and investing so I’m not completely screwed. But I can see where owning a home and being retired could be iffy. Also as Marty said them damn assisted living places are rediculous in price!!
  • jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We bought our house 5 years ago and I believe we overpaid by ~10-20 k at the time, considering some unexpected work that it needed. 
    But oh well **** happens.

Met with a realtor recently, and she believes we could easily sell it now for 50% more than what we paid 5 years ago. 
    Realtor also said we could rent it for nearly 2x our mortgage payment. 

So while yes, we could make some $$$$ if we move out.......there's nowhere for us to go!

1 & 2 bedroom apartments in our area of town cost more than our mortgage payment.
    And other houses for sale, are significantly overpriced IMO (I sure wouldn't pay what people are asking) 

The housing market is truly crazy right now, I don' t know how some folks, especially recent graduates or people with lower incomes can get by.

Even in the "bad" areas of town, or far outside of town, housing prices & rents seem inflated. 

Great for realtors (get those fat commission checks) & sellers wanting to turn a profit....but man, really sucks for buyers.

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• avengethisavengethis Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jgibv said:
    We bought our house 5 years ago and I believe we overpaid by ~10-20 k at the time, considering some unexpected work that it needed. 
    But oh well **** happens.

Met with a realtor recently, and she believes we could easily sell it now for 50% more than what we paid 5 years ago. 
    Realtor also said we could rent it for nearly 2x our mortgage payment. 

So while yes, we could make some $$$$ if we move out.......there's nowhere for us to go!

1 & 2 bedroom apartments in our area of town cost more than our mortgage payment.
    And other houses for sale, are significantly overpriced IMO (I sure wouldn't pay what people are asking) 

The housing market is truly crazy right now, I don' t know how some folks, especially recent graduates or people with lower incomes can get by.

Even in the "bad" areas of town, or far outside of town, housing prices & rents seem inflated. 

Great for realtors (get those fat commission checks) & sellers wanting to turn a profit....but man, really sucks for buyers.
    You can move to beautiful Wisconsin!
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke ever last one of 'em." - Ron White