Home Non Cigar Related

Movie suggestions or reviews.

0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
I searched and can't believe we don't have a discussion about what movies are good or bad.

Thor Ragnarok.
Funny as hell. Great action and fairly fast paced. I liked it.

Justice League.
Slow at times, but still keeps your interest. I liked it.

In Fumo Pax
Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
Atmospheric pressure and crap.

Comments

• deadmandeadman Posts: 8,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I liked Thor Ragnarok. Haven’t seen the JL yet
  • YaksterYakster Posts: 25,531 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I really liked Thor Ragnarok.

Black Panther, screened in 2D, made me dizzy.
    I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Star Wars, the last Jedi
    Fast paced, good action and ok story line. Enjoyed it.

Blade Runner 2049 
    A remake that wasn't what I expected. Hard to follow at times, but I enjoyed it.

Jumanji: Welcome To The Jungle
    Funny, moves along pretty well. Enjoyed it.

The Hitman's Bodyguard. 
    Fast paced, lots of action, good comedy. Really enjoyed it.

Black Panther. 
    Fast paced, good action and well done. I found myself getting distracted on this one.
    I enjoyed it, but not as much as most Marvel movies.

In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • deadmandeadman Posts: 8,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hitman’s Bodyguard was really good 
  • First_WarriorFirst_Warrior Posts: 3,140 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Closest theater is more than one hour away. Haven't been to a movie in twenty five years. You guys are expanding my horizons.
    We rarely go to a theater.
    We purchase movies on Amazon or wait for them to come on Netflix, which Netflix has been getting newer movies pretty good.
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,722 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Y'all be nerds.  Lol, sorry could not help myself, but, for real it's true.
    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
  • CharlieHeisCharlieHeis Posts: 8,144 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You have seen every movie anyone has ever talked about on vherf. Nerd.
  • PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,722 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You have seen every movie anyone has ever talked about on vherf. Nerd.
    Lol oh so true, I watch a ton of movies.  Love and will never get rid of my cable package.  Colleen wanted to cut the cord years ago.
    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
  • MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    Ohh, we're getting started, here.

Black Panther is my favorite Marvel movie.  
    Infinity War is pretty far down on the list, but it's above a couple of stinkers.  I mean, do we really need Winter Soldier?  It was just alright.  Ultron? Meh.
    Thor: Ragnarok was awful as a MCU piece but had great comedy.

Solo is the best Star Wars movie since the Mouse bought the franchise.  Heck it might be the best since Jedi.  There are days I'd say Rogue One was great, but most days I'm ambivalent about it.  Don't get me started on 7 and 8; they're awful beyond "Yippee," Jar Jar, and Midichlorians.  But SOLO I enjoyed.  Plus Khaleesi.  

Other movies (mostly seen via Redbox) I've liked lately: I'll echo the Jumanji statement above.  Fun, well paced.  It surprised me; I wasn't a huge fan of the original but really liked this one, plus Nebula is cute out of all that makeup from Guardians.  

Darkest Hour was a great take on the early days of WWII.  If you didn't know, you wouldn't know it was Gary Oldman behind the cigar.  And Lily James is in it; heck she made Pride and Prejudice and Zombies worth seeing. (Do you see a theme, here?) AND it was more interesting than that snorefest of thing resembling a movie called Dunkirk.

And we watched a couple of documentaries on Prime for an assignment my daughter did.  One I recommend, the other was just interesting.  The first was from PBS via American Experience.  It was Freedom Riders. Telling the story of a little piece of the civil rights movement, it did so in a powerful way.  I know some of you avoid politics like the plague and all, but if anyone tries to tell me a certain flag used by the Confederacy isn't racist they have to watch this, now, before I'll discuss anything with them again.  So many still images of brutality shared in a beautiful moving way.

The merely interesting one on a similar theme was I Am Not Your Negro. About James Baldwin and based on one of his unfinished writings, the best bit of artistry here was the black/white title cards.  It was in serious need of some editing, but maybe that was to give it an unfinished feel, like the novel it was based upon, and like the struggle for civil rights in general.  But I think that might be giving the filmmaker too much credit.  Still, I wasn't super-familiar with Baldwin before this.  He was someone I knew about, but have now promised myself to look up some of his own work.  He was a very deep thinker about race.  I suspect I won't agree with all his positions, but I think he'll make me think and I appreciate that.

Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
  • Significant3Significant3 Posts: 2,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I saw Dead Pool 2 last night. Funny as Sh$t. Even better than the first one. 
  • MarkwellMarkwell Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A friend at work told me I needed to watch Human Centipede on Netflix. Most disturbing thing I ever sat through, and this coming from the guy who's watched a few autopsies while scarfing down nachos. 
    “Happiness? A good cigar, a good meal, a good cigar and a good woman – or a bad woman; it depends on how much happiness you can handle.” – George Burns
  • BKDogBKDog Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's not a movie, but a documentary series, and the project is ongoing.
    I think Conquering Northern China is the better one, and dirt cheap to buy. High quality video, and I learned a great deal about China from the perspective of two guys who moved there, learned the language, and now made their families there.

"Love is a dung heap, Betty and I am but a c.o.c.k. that climbs upon it to crow."
  • GaryThompsonGaryThompson Posts: 952 ✭✭✭✭✭
    BKDog said:
    It's not a movie, but a documentary series, and the project is ongoing.
    I think Conquering Northern China is the better one, and dirt cheap to buy. High quality video, and I learned a great deal about China from the perspective of two guys who moved there, learned the language, and now made their families there.

Sounds really interesting. Back in the day, I spent 17 days doing the planes/trains/and automobiles thing in SouthEastern China. Clueless when I got there, and completely lost after the trip. 
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Went to two movies this weekend.

Instant Family, billed as "The feel-good movie of the year".  It was.  

and

Bohemian Rhapsody, Which I thoroughly enjoyed.  Of course, I also enjoyed most of Queen's music, although I always felt that they never really outdid their first album.  Not putting the others down, but the first one really rocked.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • 90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Took my wife on a date Saturday (first one we’ve had in a while) and we saw Fantastic Beasts Crimes of Grindewald, it was very good but left on a cliffhanger. Was the first time I had been to the movies in years, but I definitely recommend it. 
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,049 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wish I could go to the cinema but it is too much sensory overload, even earplugs don't help.
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wish I could go to the cinema but it is too much sensory overload, even earplugs don't help.
    Yes! The movie theater is too loud! And has too many people in it that I don't trust to behave themselves. I'm always pissed off because I'm distracted by the lights I see out of the corner my eye of people looking at their cell phones. And I do need to wear earplugs. How the hell do they get away with that many decibels? I've measured it. I have an app on my phone. If it was that loud anywhere else on earth you would be required by law to have hearing protection.     
    Bright cell phones in theaters and people talking during the movie are the worst, especially if you're related to the offenders.  If you manage to find a movie that's not too loud, you'll just end up hearing the movies playing on either side booming in through the walls distracting you from an appropriate theatrical experience.

85" TV, Bose surround sound and sit on your own couch, enjoying a nice movie.
    Totally worth it.
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Saw "The Upside" a couple weeks ago.  Kevin Hart played the part of a soon-to-be-reformed thug quite well, Bryan Cranston, and Nicole Kidman gave fine performances as well.  Based on a true story.  Pretty good movie.

Went to see Clint Eastwood's "The Mule" last night and enjoyed it greatly.  Really had to pee for the last 30 minutes, but couldn't bring myself to leave long enough.  I guess I just can't help liking movies about wrinkly old white guys and their adventures.  ;)
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Sleddog46Sleddog46 Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you get a chance,rent A Walk in the Woods. Robert Redford & Nick Nolte decide to hike the Appalachian Trail. Funny flick.
    You can't dispel Ignorance if you retain Arrogance!
  • skydiverDskydiverD Posts: 2,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Surprisingly I really enjoyed Aquaman. Not a big fan of the DC series since the Batman Trilogy ended. 

InfinityWar - great. 

Thor Ragnarock- The only  Thor movie I liked. 

Polar on Netflix. Thought it was over the top silly villains until o heard it was based on a comic book. Since I haven’t read the comics I don’t know but I didn’t really like it. Felt like a cheap version of John Wick

John Wick 1 & 2. Love these. 

Bird Box. Not bad. I liked it. Could just be my crush on Sandra Bullock. 

Same goes for Wonder Woman and Gal Gadot. She might be the hottest woman on the planet. 😉

Want to see the Mule. 

Darkest Hour was excellent. 

Saving Private Ryan - Best WWII movie I’ve ever seen hands down. 

The Dark Knight. Best movie of all time! 

Jaws- Another top 5 lifetime great. Can watch it at anytime. If I’m scrolling tv and it’s on, game over. 
    How do you like my profile pic Taborski?   @matkn293          
  • Sleddog46Sleddog46 Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sleddog46 said:
    skydiverD said:
    Surprisingly I really enjoyed Aquaman. Not a big fan of the DC series since the Batman Trilogy ended. 

InfinityWar - great. 

Thor Ragnarock- The only  Thor movie I liked. 

Polar on Netflix. Thought it was over the top silly villains until o heard it was based on a comic book. Since I haven’t read the comics I don’t know but I didn’t really like it. Felt like a cheap version of John Wick

John Wick 1 & 2. Love these. 

Bird Box. Not bad. I liked it. Could just be my crush on Sandra Bullock. 

Same goes for Wonder Woman and Gal Gadot. She might be the hottest woman on the planet. 😉

Want to see the Mule. 

Darkest Hour was excellent. 

Saving Private Ryan - Best WWII movie I’ve ever seen hands down. 

The Dark Knight. Best movie of all time! 

Jaws- Another top 5 lifetime great. Can watch it at anytime. If I’m scrolling tv and it’s on, game over. 
    If you think Saving Private Ryan is good then you need to watch Band of Brothers.
    My dad went through the same **** as the route they took. Landed at Normandy,fought thru Europe and was in  Bastogne where he had his feet frozen and almost amputated. If you ever see it there's a scene where the paratroopers are getting ready to enter Bastogne and there's a line of soldiers coming out. That was my Dads company.
    You can't dispel Ignorance if you retain Arrogance!
  • skydiverDskydiverD Posts: 2,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I did love Band of Brothers also.  Thanks for reminding me, it may be time to re-watch it as it’s been a long time. 
    How do you like my profile pic Taborski?   @matkn293          
    Just watched Bumblebee.
    Grand daughter watched the whole thing and then wanted to watch it again.
    It explained a lot of the back story of Bumblebee.
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
    edited May 2019
    Coming soon. Hell yeah!
    https://youtu.be/RSXc5z9F7Do
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
    John Wick. 2 > 1 > 3. Three was still good, lost my interest in the middle, and too highly choreographed and telegraphed, but still entertaining.