Home Non Cigar Related

New hobby

dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭✭✭
Being an old dirt ho, I have got coffee cans full of nothing but rocks. Considered throwing them out when I moved but held onto them. The neighbor gave me his grandfather's lapidary combo unit so I have been carving rocks this morning.
A little dirt never hurt

Comments

• Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Beautiful! Are those gonna be uh,....uh. (I was about to use that trademarked term that rhymes with Yogie Streisand, sort of.) 

Are those gonna be cigar rests, stirrups, holders, etc? 
  • jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    They are going to become highly polished pen holder bases. Which he will inturn sell to me at a really rock bottom o:) price so my wife can transform them into works of art.
  • StubbleStubble Posts: 8,177 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    I'm gonna guess Lapis and Malachite?  Neat stuff, either way!!
    Hey, you gonna eat the rest of that corndog?
  • dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just rocks, some malachite from congo, azurite, malachite & chrysocolla from AZ, these are local terminology, who knows. Was having a lot of fun until splitting an apache tear and a piece chipped off and jinggered up the blade. 
    A little dirt never hurt
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Any Navajo s e x stones?
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bob_Luken said:
    jlmarta said:
    Any Navajo s e x stones?
    Image result for you have my attention
    Yeah, Navajo s e x stones can be a problem..... 
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    love it bollywood GIF
    A little small but without a blade I just grabbed a piece and put it on the grinder. Blades are ordered but in the meantime I plan to go over the the neighborhood rec center we had to join when we moved in here, they have a lapidary shop with state of the art equipment. Most of the snowbirds are gone now but may be a few holdovers I can learn from.
    A little dirt never hurt
  • StubbleStubble Posts: 8,177 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sweet!
    Hey, you gonna eat the rest of that corndog?
  • Sketch6995Sketch6995 Posts: 4,495 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a 20" and a 10" diamond blade rock saw and the 8" 6 wheel grinders.... I love rocks, those are pretty rocks, wanna trade for some silica replaced metamorphic agatized dinosaur bone slabs?
    The higher.......the fewer.  ( Alexander Rozhenko)

What you can't forgive......you will become.
    You are all setup Jeff,will keep an eye out for some big rocks for you, spotted a big blue one last night but it was 40 feet up the bank and I just couldn't get there. 
    A little dirt never hurt
    I'll send you a couple slabs to grind

edited May 2018
    Right on, I haven't even picked up any rocks for several years but just happened to run across a few this morning, quite large, I deemed too large for @Sketch6995 20" saw so I ran over it with the dozer and came up with this.
    What's happened to the ability to include a picture, attached anyway, no I didn't find the rolling rock at work but that's included for dimension, I figured stogy stands for the house.

I didn't crush them all Jeff but tucked some away in a safe place.
    A little dirt never hurt
    Wow very nice

• silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,044 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Another slippery slope, DD. Pretty soon you are going to need more lapidary equipment, a shed to work in, etc.
    Omg I have a hill for your dozer.... this hill has coughed up for years.  Hell I supported several bad habits from this hill over the years hahaha.

Another slippery slope, DD. Pretty soon you are going to need more lapidary equipment, a shed to work in, etc.
    Edward, if you ever see anything you can work with just holler, it's yours, same with that Sketchy dude, though I can see a road trip to GJ in the cards
    A little dirt never hurt
    Very nice ^^^^

• 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I may have to talk to you about a cost of one of those turquoise cigar holders.
    Native, turquoise, it's a thing. 

In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
    Most of what I have is crysacolla Tony, but I have a bunch of blue/green rocks
    A little dirt never hurt
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    dirtdude said:
    Most of what I have is crysacolla Tony, but I have a bunch of blue/green rocks
    Looks like turquoise to me. 
    Actually, looks a little cooler than turquoise.
    My grandfather just rolled over in his grave. LOL!
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • firehouseguyfirehouseguy Posts: 996 ✭✭✭✭✭
    dirtdude said:

Been slicing and dicing, learning what you can and can't do with a rock, damn I have shattered a lot of nice rock, but found some local rock that can take the abuse. Have a problem with symmetry, I suppose things will square up in time.
    Looking sharp Randy, you should be selling those
    Cigars were made to be smoked, whiskey was made to be drank and women were made to be loved. The only thing I try to age is myself. 
    Much too rugged to sell bro but will send them out with any outgoing. You can use them for a paperweight or trash them but they are beginning to stack up.
    A little dirt never hurt