Home Non Cigar Related

Any auto mechanics out there

Significant3Significant3 Posts: 2,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
Hey all. I was replacing the oil pressure sensor on my Infiniti due to a leak. Putting it back in I over tightened it and caused a nasty crack. Also, it looks like I stripped the threads. Will this need to go to a shop or might this be fixed with JB Weld? Feeling pretty stupid right now. :( 

Comments

• 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Not real familiar with Infinity, is that a bushing in the port?
    The problem with trying to use JB weld, is that it has to be totally clean. The slightest amount of oil or residue left, will create a leak.
    You would need it very clean. Spraying it real well with carb cleaner and then spraying it will brake cleaner and letting it dry, the check for any sign of oil. If there is still signs of oil, repeat until no oil is visible.

Coat a fitting, the same thread as the oil pressure sending unit thread with grease, then coat it with JB weld, careful not to get it close to the end threads, screw it in the hole, then coat the outer section if the port with JB weld. Once the JB weld is set up, gently remove the temporary fitting . Let the JB weld set up for at least 3 hours. 

Then you have to be real careful installing the oil pressure sensor.

To be honest, it is a hail Mary move.
    There is a strong chance it will leak.

Even the best mechanics have done that at least once.

Is the oil pressure an o-ring fitting or pipe fitting?
    If it is o-ring, forget everything I said and find a really, really good shop. 
    And even a great shop may say they would have to do a lot of tear down to repair it correctly.

In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Significant3Significant3 Posts: 2,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks Tony for input, I just may try this Hail Mary. It is a pipe fitting and I believe that is some kind of bushing inside but going to the dealer now to find out for sure.
    The dealer wants 2k to replace upper oil pan. I’m going to try the JB Weld first. It can’t hurt.
    The dealer wants 2k to replace upper oil pan. I’m going to try the JB Weld first. It can’t hurt.
    Ouch. For that kind if money, it is definitely worth the try.
    If you can get that bushing out and replace it, that may give you a better chance of success.
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
    @0patience
    JB Weld is holding. I get a drip of oil about every 5 minutes from the treads, not the cracks on the sides. Truthfully the jury is still out but hopes are very high. 

edited March 2019
    @0patience
    JB Weld is holding. I get a drip of oil about every 5 minutes from the treads, not the cracks on the sides. Truthfully the jury is still out but hopes are very high. 
    At the risk of creating a bigger problem, Teflon tape may seal the threads, but you have to be really careful, cause the Teflon tape can allow it to tighten too much. If you put the Teflon tape on the threads and can safely tighten it with the motor running, you can gently tighten it until it seems a little snug or it quits dripping, which ever is first.

But there is also a danger of over tightening and popping the crack back open.

Post edited by 0patience on
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
    @0patience I’m not going to do the Teflon tape. The leak is not bad. It’s even less than what I said earlier. The actual fluid I was noticing was from the power steering pump which drips on down by the repaired area. If it stays like it currently is I’m good with it. We’ll see where it’s at in a few days. BTW, I also used Loctite stripped thread repair.
    And thanks for your input Tony. 🙏
    The problem with the locktite is it is designed to hold thread as, not fluids. 
    Locktite pipe sealer or Teflon tape is usually the better way to go, for future reference.  :)
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think if you get a longer handled ratchet on the job and really throw your weight into it the answer will come to you.
    “It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• TrishTrish Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If theres some sort of granular type substance in your gas tank could it sit for a while with no problem or does it mix with fuel and work through your system immediately? (Granted I assume weight could be a factor but I don't have that info)
    Brand new car under 3400 miles dealer states  a red granular substance in tank has caused a blockage and the whole fuel system needs replacing. They claim it was placed in tank after purchase but I'm wondering if it could've been in there prior to...
  • IndustMechIndustMech Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is it a Ford?

I know, You're a big dog and I'm on the list.
    Let's eat, GrandMa.  /  Let's eat GrandMa.  --  Punctuation saves lives

It'll be fine once the swelling goes down.

edited April 2019
    Is it a Ford?
    It's a Jeep.
    The kicker is warranty won't cover saying it's an insurance claim and insurance isn't sure they will cover either...WTH

Could it be rust?

Get a locking fuel cap

Could it be rust?

Get a locking fuel cap

New cars don't have caps just door latches. If it was introduced after it had to have been from the gas pumps. I really feel like this is factory but I don't know,  can stuff sit in tank for weeks before being an issue? 
    Trish said:
    If theres some sort of granular type substance in yo7ur gas tank could it sit for a while with no problem or does it mix with fuel and work through your system immediately? (Granted I assume weight could be a factor but I don't have that info)
    Brand new car under 3400 miles dealer states  a red granular substance in tank has caused a blockage and the whole fuel system needs replacing. They claim it was placed in tank after purchase but I'm wondering if it could've been in there prior to...
    Most likely, it won't mix with the fuel.
    Sugar won't mix with gasoline, which is why it creates such problems.
    If it was vandalism and you have full coverage, it should be covered.

Have they identified the substance?

The dealer will do everything they can to not warranty it. Contact your insurance and see what they say.
    If you have USAA or Liberty Insurance, you are probably SOL.
    They don't like to cover anything.

Not knowing what the substance is, it's hard to say, but sugar can remain in the system for a long time on the bottom if the tank and may take a while to cause problems in the fuel system.
    It won'be noticeable until it starts plugging injectors, filters or other parts.

Depending on quantity, it may take weeks or months for it to do damage.

In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
    0patience said:
    Trish said:
    If theres some sort of granular type substance in yo7ur gas tank could it sit for a while with no problem or does it mix with fuel and work through your system immediately? (Granted I assume weight could be a factor but I don't have that info)
    Most likely, it won't mix with the fuel.
    Sugar won't mix with gasoline, which is why it creates such problems.
    If it was vandalism and you have full coverage, it should be covered.

Have they identified the substance?

The dealer will do everything they can to not warranty it. Contact your insurance and see what they say.
    If you have USAA or Liberty Insurance, you are probably SOL.
    They don't like to cover anything.

Not knowing what the substance is, it's hard to say, but sugar can remain in the system for a long time on the bottom if the tank and may take a while to cause problems in the fuel system.
    It won'be noticeable until it starts plugging injectors, filters or other parts.

Depending on quantity, it may take weeks or months for it to do damage.

Well they ruled out sugar saying they are familiar with it but have never seen what's in mine before.
    Zero signs of vandalism but to be honest I'm okay if that's how its written up to repair it. 
    It's beyond me why they care, it's under factory warranty (less than 2 months old, bought with 20 miles on it. Everything in my gut is saying it's been in that tank prior to me buying it.) Current Insurance is giving push back but sounds like I made a good decision to hold off switching to USAA until the end of current policy, almost made the jump last month 😂

Thanks for the feedback, now I have a little knowledge under my belt to argue my case... 
  • Dark_RoastDark_Roast Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭
    I think the dealership you bought it at needs warranty approval from manufacturer. Believing there is no way a foreign substance in fuel tank occurred while manufactured, the manufacturer will push back and deny claim. Possible foul play on dealership property but highly unlikely they would admit. So ball in your court. You could have a lawyer write letter but I feel you would have a better chance winning lottery than lawyer winning case. Just sucks. Sorry for your bad luck.
    If they can determine what it is, that would help.
    As was said, rust, tank sealer and several other things can cause similar problems and would be related to the manufacture of the vehicle.
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
    Well field inspection still going on but I was getting pushback from both sides. I knew you guys could point me in the right direction so that I wasn't talking out my a** while standing my ground.
  • peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,316 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What lead up to them finding this stuff in your tank?  Was it running poorly?  I'm no expert, but I'm surprised that the fuel pump/filter in the tank didn't get clogged so that all they'd have to replace is the pump/filter and maybe the tank.  Seems odd to me that they want to replace the whole system.
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
    peter4jc said:
    What lead up to them finding this stuff in your tank?  Was it running poorly?  I'm no expert, but I'm surprised that the fuel pump/filter in the tank didn't get clogged so that all they'd have to replace is the pump/filter and maybe the tank.  Seems odd to me that they want to replace the whole system.
    The problem with things like sugar, sand and rust, is they often make it through the pump and with manufacturers that no longer install fuel filters, the problem is worse than ever. 
    Normally, the OEM fuel filter woukd usually pick that stuff up, but not always. And generally, a fuel filter will be 10 microns, which sounds small, but 3 micron particles, can foul an injector.

I would agree that the whole system seems overkill.
    More than likely, the pump has failed. What, if anything after that has failed would be relatively difficult to determine.

Each component would have to be tested electrically, then with fuek pressure and if the pump has failed, the pump has to be working to condemn, the remainder of the fuel system.

Replacing all of the fuel system is what we call a shotgun repair. If you throw enough parts at it, it's bound to fix it.
    Not fond of places that do that.

In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
    edited April 2019
    peter4jc said:
    So coincidentally the day before it was scheduled to go in for a back seat replacement (manufacturer or transit mishap) my engine light comes on and I get an engine/transmission system allert. Noticed a little change in power that day. And here I sit today irritated and increasingly becoming angry. 

I did get a laugh when he mentioned another lady had women at work that didn't like her so they poured sugar in her tank... that comment was indirectly pointed at me because I might've exhibited my A Personality before... not the case though and he learned quickly not to mess with me.  Lol
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hope this all works out for you Trish.  Certainly seems like a F---ed up situation.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Sleddog46Sleddog46 Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Trish, did you try contacting  the corporate headquarters of Jeep? I don't even know who makes them anymore, I believe it's Chrysler and piss  a fit with them about the problem and the run around the dealer is giving you. It may get somebody to get the problem straightened out. Good luck.
    You can't dispel Ignorance if you retain Arrogance!
    I think Fiat owns Chrysler

• NorCalR1NorCalR1 Posts: 4,197 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would contact the manufacturer’s customer service line and reach out to them directly creating a case and working from the top down.The fact you bought a new car from the dealer the manufacturer is more likely to force their hand on the dealer.

If you want to bomb me send it to Tony @0patience :D
    If you are a newbie I got Dem nachos....

Thanks guys for all your input. So I just found out all of this yesterday but wanted to make sure I was on the right thought process for arguments sake. So claims adjuster will be out on the 11th to look at it and see if the two can come to an agreement (to be honest I don't care who covers it so long as it isn't me) but if the outcome is not favorable you can bet I will raise hell. I'll keep ya posted.
  • dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ^^^^You raise hell? Get em girl^^^^
    A little dirt never hurt