Home Non Cigar Related

What are you reading?

Comments

• MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    Yup. I know a couple evolutionary biologists who are Christian.  No biggie.  Genesis isn't a science text, and it wasn't written to a "scientific" culture.  It's wrong to read it as such.
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
  • CalvinAndHoboCalvinAndHobo Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Martel said:

@Rhamlin I read Hornblower a couple years ago for the first time since I was 12.  It aged pretty well.  Try the Aubrey-Maturin books by Patrick O'Brian next if you like Napoleonic sea battles.  It's Hornblower for grown-ups.  He died before he could actually finish the series, though.  Still, I felt satisfied by the end.  
    Ricky, don't buy any of the Patrick O'Brian books just yet, I have the first six coming with me to Tennessee for you. 
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "I don't see a conflict between science and creation.  Genesis and Science tell the exact same story, just in different terms."  There seem to be many who cannot believe in any God that's smarter than they are.  Just my observation.  
    Yep.
    Take a close look at religions, their "story lines" and history and you will see a similar transition between most of them.
    There are so many similarities that it is hard to over-look them as coincidence.
    Historically, the nay-sayers who don't believe in religions or only believe their religion is correct, will say that a lot of the events in religious texts are "stories" that didn't really happen. 
    Yet, science is now proving that a lot of the stories did happen. 
    And some, on a grander scale than they could even fathom. 

I'm not a terribly religious person, as I have different religious beliefs, but I have a hard time understanding evolution, as a theory of man's creation. 
    Are you telling me that nature would create a creature so inept at their surroundings, as man? I don't think so.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
    Code of Conduct - Brad Thor
  • YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Killing Jesus, by Bill O'Reilly.  It is written from an historical point of view about the life and death of Jesus Christ.  It's very interesting learning about the politics of the time.
  • silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,043 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • ForMudForMud Posts: 2,336 ✭✭✭✭✭
    YankeeMan said:
    Killing Jesus, by Bill O'Reilly.  It is written from an historical point of view about the life and death of Jesus Christ.  It's very interesting learning about the politics of the time.
    Just got done with his book "Killing Lincoln" last week. Defiantly going to check out some more by him.

Started "1491 New Revelations of the Americas before Columbus" By Charles C Mann
    Foreign Agent - Brad Thor
    Past Tense by Lee Child.  I love all his books.
  • 84CJ784CJ7 Posts: 372 ✭✭✭✭
    1/2 way through Killing England.  I'll be getting more of this series.
  • First_WarriorFirst_Warrior Posts: 3,140 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dark Sacred Night by Michael Connelly.Our library just got it in.
    Use of Force - Brad Thor
    Fireman by Joe Hill.  He writes like his dad, Stephen King.
    Spymaster - Brad Thor
    Bad Luck & Trouble by Lee Child.  I've read all his books, or so I thought and I found this earlier one I missed.  I love the Reacher series.
  • BKDogBKDog Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Meditations - Marcus Aurelius
    "Love is a dung heap, Betty and I am but a c.o.c.k. that climbs upon it to crow."
  • webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rhamlin said:
    Just finished the Hornblower series. Thanks to @CalvinAndHobo
    Well I got one more anyway. It should be waiting for me at home. Right now I’m finishing up with Wilderness Empire by Allan W Eckert. 
    The follow up book to The frontiersman but it actually takes place first. Both great books. 

The Hornblower series is the one thing I have re-read more often than any other. Begins in media res, great plots, and action defines the characters. Like when Hornblower fights the Spanish ship of the line Natividad with his tiny frigate three times, first taking her bloodlessly by genius coup de main, then fighting her in a storm, then sinking her in a calm; only to be double crossed each time by politicians. Terrific.
    “It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

@Martel, it seems you and I are very close in our theology.  I really get not discussing certain things with some people.  There are many good people who cannot tolerate the slightest inquiry concerning the rigid dogma they've been taught.  Their conviction is fragile and I wouldn't want to shake them off their foundation.  I can see it in their eyes when I say things like "I don't see a conflict between science and creation.  Genesis and Science tell the exact same story, just in different terms."  There seem to be many who cannot believe in any God that's smarter than they are.  Just my observation.  
    The world doesn't get any better when good & reasonable people are afraid to expound what they believe. Just my observation.
    “It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• First_WarriorFirst_Warrior Posts: 3,140 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jolie Blon's Bounce by James Lee Burke. I have read most of Burke's work. Burke has the ability to paint pictures with words.
  • HawkeyeHawkeye Posts: 246 ✭✭✭✭
    Hell Divers Series, Expeditionary Force series currently.  Finished the Bobiverse, Red Rising, and Off to be a Wizard series last year.  Have read Ready Player One at least a few times as it is one of my favorites.
    Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular.
    Wool - Hugh Howey. From a recommendation by @Captain_Call
  • VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rereading the passage trilogy by Justin cronin.  Best damn epic dystopian thriller ever.  Way different than the TV series and way better.  
    Don't look ↑
  • 84CJ784CJ7 Posts: 372 ✭✭✭✭
    1/2 way into John Krakauer's book Into Thin Air.  It's confirming that I don't ever want to climb Mt Everest.

Very good read.
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just started the very last book in the Hornblower series. Then starting Masters and Commanders. 
    Rhamlin said:
    Just started the very last book in the Hornblower series. Then starting Masters and Commanders. 

hehehe you said "hornblower". :D
    "Love is a dung heap, Betty and I am but a c.o.c.k. that climbs upon it to crow."
  • jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Well Well Well
    There are actually people on here who CAN read, AND Comprehend.
    That was a great series of posts. Thanks.

But I must add my little insight.
    Almost became an Episcopalian Father/Priest/Minister. One of the Most Reverend Fathers (this guy was a hoot, one of the funniest people I have ever known) (and he never cussed) suggest I study indigenous (of the world, not just the US) peoples religions, it was an eye opener.
    Of courses this led to studying cult religions. It is not hard to define what is a cult religion at all.
    I don't argue about religions anymore, and believe myself to be "Christian", I just do not like or follow the rigidness of any church. What I believe in, is in me, and I don't have to be reminded to offer help to someone who needs it. 
    To the science part, I whole hardily agree. It had to start somewhere, and it did not happen overnight.
    Why is it so hard to believe that evolution had a helping hand? 
  • MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    jd50ae said:
    Well Well Well
    There are actually people on here who CAN read, AND Comprehend.
    That was a great series of posts. Thanks.

But I must add my little insight.
    Almost became an Episcopalian Father/Priest/Minister. One of the Most Reverend Fathers (this guy was a hoot, one of the funniest people I have ever known) (and he never cussed) suggest I study indigenous (of the world, not just the US) peoples religions, it was an eye opener.
    Of courses this led to studying cult religions. It is not hard to define what is a cult religion at all.
    I don't argue about religions anymore, and believe myself to be "Christian", I just do not like or follow the rigidness of any church. What I believe in, is in me, and I don't have to be reminded to offer help to someone who needs it. 
    To the science part, I whole hardily agree. It had to start somewhere, and it did not happen overnight.
    Why is it so hard to believe that evolution had a helping hand? 
    I mean it's my job, so I kinda have to...

I'm with Cyprian of Carthage (early to mid 3rd century AD) on this one.  He said, "outside the church there is no salvation."  

I just have a much broader definition of "the church" than some, but I do trust that the Bible has authority and it says way too much about the community of God we call church to disregard it lightly.  If you're a Christian and believe in that, anyway.

Ain't nobody perfect so there ain't no church perfect.
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
    What we have learned in the age of relativity is that the problem with the answer is the the. What we have unlearned is the answer.

Are we any happier for having traded the answer for there is no answer?

Are we any closer to the truth?

Currently reading Epictetus (The Enchiridion).