Home Non Cigar Related

A question for the gun guys

Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
I saw a pistol the other day that interested me, but I'm not familiar with the brand.  Which says nothing about the brand, Kimber, since my knowledge barely touches the iconic brands like S&W, Colt, Winchester, etc.  What I was looking at, briefly, was the Kimber Micro9, if I recall correctly.  It looked like a 1911 style 9mm.  I also glanced briefly at a Sig Sauer, (?) which I've heard of, had recommended to me, but haven't handled.  

So, anyone here familiar with either of these weapons?  Opinions?
WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain

Comments

• Sleddog46Sleddog46 Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They are both really good guns. I'd go with either.
    You can't dispel Ignorance if you retain Arrogance!
  • Captain_CallCaptain_Call Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Proprietary expensive magazines and less market support for parts and holsters keep me out of these specialized guns. The bobbed edges on the kimber make it more comfortable against your body but an article from gun digest comparing the two said the controls on the sig were easier to manipulate, so sig has the advantage on a draw and shoot from cocked and locked. It also features forward and rear serration on the slide for multiple slide manipulation positions, where the kimber is only on the rear, limiting your manipulation options. But im just repeating tidbits from a gun rag and I've never heard them run down a gun they were paid to review.

Link to article https://gundigest.com/reviews/handguns-reviews/which-is-best-kimber-micro-9-or-sig-p938
  • Trykflyr_1Trykflyr_1 Posts: 2,500 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I carry a Kimber 1911 and have a Sig in the safe.  The Kimber is a well made, reliable firearm  eats any round I feed it and, IMHO, worth the price.  There are a few things about the Sig I'm not a fan of, but that's personal preference, hence its exile to the bench.  A lot of the decision should be based on what you're going to do with it and how well you'll be able to shoot it.  An expensive pistol is woryhless if you can't hit anything with it.  An inexpensive one is priceless if you know you can rely on it to work every time and you can drive nails with it.    Some ranges or shops let you rent examples of what they offer.  Go test drive a few; it's worth the time and small amount of cash.
    I'm still troubled by what I did for that Klondike bar...
  • avengethisavengethis Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a sig P320 in 9mm and love shooting it.  I am currently looking at a couple Kimber full size 1911 as their price point to quality seem to make the most sense for me.  I have a friend who is a big kimber fan and I have been able to shoot many different guns from them and they all were a joy to shoot. 
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke ever last one of 'em." - Ron White
  • TX98Z28TX98Z28 Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Haven’t shot a Kimber 9mm but I love my Glock 19 Gen4 MOS, highly recommend but also recommend shooting the gun first as @Trykflyr_1 already mentioned.

I personally recommend Lehigh Defense high performance ammunition for concealed carry or home defense. Check out these 9mm rounds! https://www.lehighdefense.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=59&ajaxfilter=f1-product-type,ammo/f2-gun-type,handgun/f6-caliber-cartridge,3559mm-luger
    If you quote me do the @TX98Z28 in your text or I won't be notified of your quote, Thanks.
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
     A lot of the decision should be based on what you're going to do with it and how well you'll be able to shoot it.  An expensive pistol is woryhless if you can't hit anything with it.  
    Lol, not too worried there.  Given a 45 with lands remaining in the barrel plus a bushing that didn't rattle like a golf ball in a bucket I could score Distinguished every time while in the Army.  I've got a S&W 22 auto with a bull barrel that'll drive nails all day.  Couple other short barrel pistols that are good for what they're good for.  But I've never had a 9mm, and you know, Acquisition Syndrome has more than one outlet.  

Thanks for the responses, guys.  The Kimber sure looked nice.  
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
    I really like mine.  It replaced the Dan Wesson I carried for years.  My point on hitting was that some guns just don't fit right and accuracy suffers.  I had an old beat up Beretta skeet gun that fit like a glove and I shot really well with it.  Bought a new Benelli and sold it after 500 rounds because I couldn't make it fit right without a major stock overhaul.  

I'd go drive that Kimber...  It's no Les Baer, but it sure isn't a clapped out SA either.
  • Usaf06Usaf06 Posts: 10,932 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kimber is a very reputable brand and very expensive. As it regards to kimber you get what you pay for. I'm not a sig fan. I am a glock fan. I know there was some issues with sigs firing when dropped which shouldn't happen.  Cost a local officer I know a round in his calf when his gun slipped out of his hand holstering it. Sig has acknowledged the problem from what I understand.
    "I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

"LET'S GO FRANCIS"     Peter

• jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    I haven't been to an indoor range in a long time. They use to let people try out a firearm before purchase. There was a rash of suicides using "loner" firearms and I don't know how that affected individual range policies. 
    I have never liked Glocks. I have fired a number of Sigs and liked them all. Kimbers are very well made but as previously stated can be very expensive.
    In my old age I carry a 50AE and only it has to hit in the general vicinity. Same with my Taurus Judge in 45 which I carry on the property, snakes of any kind are no match.
    In Jersey you can't carry but I have my Rutger P85 9mm that I bought years ago and don't really care for. Wherever I've fired it ,doesn't seen that accurate. Then I have my faithful Colt King Cobra 357 double action that is a sweet piece. They used to call it the trench digger,and I wouldn't doubt it. 
  • NOGILLS2NOGILLS2 Posts: 156 ✭✭✭
    I personally carry a Ruger P345, in 45 ACP. The Kimber and the SIG are both excellent weapons.
    There is a saying "I show my friends my Kimber, I show my enemies my Glock. 
    Pesonally I have issues shooting a Glock, It has a different aiming point. 
    I would suggest going to a shooting range that allows you to rent different guns and find what fits you best! My 00.02 cents  
    I am a happy man. You have made me very grateful. For this is the very first time that the Crown Jewels have ever been adequately & deliriously praised by an unprejudiced person. Still it is the cigars' own fault that this is so for it is a cigar which excites envy & jealousy in the smoker because he knows & feels the truth of which you have said; that there is no other cigar that is just like it. There are cigars which resemble it but only in appearance, not in spirit & not in the ability to dare & do. There is no other cigar that can make a person want to go away & get by himself & think this life over & wonder if it is altogether worth while. I will send you some more when you get out. Let me know. Any man of fine intelligence who is acquainted with Crown Jewels prizes them above any other gems & saves them & hoards them. I gave Harry Rogers a box two years ago & he has them yet. Let me know when you are out.
  • 84CJ784CJ7 Posts: 372 ✭✭✭✭
    I have a Kimber 1911 45 that I used to carry before I bought a Springfield Armory EMP 9mm.  The Kimber is a well made great shooting gun but, the EMP has been my all time favorite daily carry.  

As far as the Sig, it depends on the model.  My next purchase will be a P-226 Navy.  Sig has great guns and "entry" level models.  It boils down to you get what you pay for.

What was the model of the Sig you saw?
    Grawls said:
     I think I’d go with kimber 1st, and sig 2nd
    I think you have to change the shot of Kimber to the Kimder who was on the show Nip Tuck.  Then you need to put Polosi's picture instead of Marty Feldman.... He never f===d anyone over.
  • GrawlsGrawls Posts: 663 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I didn’t create that meme. If I did, glock would be much sexier. 
  • BKDogBKDog Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Grawls said:
    But that's the thing -Glock isn't sexy. You can beat them like a red headed step child and they keep on working, though.
    "Love is a dung heap, Betty and I am but a c.o.c.k. that climbs upon it to crow."
  • YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    BKDog said:
    Grawls said:
    But that's the thing -Glock isn't sexy. You can beat them like a red headed step child and they keep on working, though.
    ... and you can microwave brownies in the box it comes in!

• Diver43Diver43 Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Kimber Micro is an excellent handgun.  Before purchasing hold it, work the controls and shoot it if you can.  Sig Sauer also makes an excellent gun.  My house gun is a Sig P229 in .40SW.    Both are higher end guns and are more accurate than most people.  Either would serve you well and for a long time if you chose to get one.  My current EDC is a SW Shield in 9mm, but I plan to change to the Sig P365 soon
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anyone know what it costs to have a rifle re-blued?
    I have my grandfather's 30-40 Krag I'd like to have it re-blued.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • StubbleStubble Posts: 8,177 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    https://www.turnbullrestoration.com

Won't be cheap, but if you have to do it...go with the best.  It would be a shame to have a hack screw up a heirloom.

@0patience
    Hey, you gonna eat the rest of that corndog?
    It was presented to him in 1930.
    The stock was custom made, so the restoration needs to be done properly.
    It is irreplaceable, so I think anything I spend on it will be money well spent.

In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
    I second Turnbull.
  • jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    @0patience
    Make sure you ask about breakdown and POLISHING no matter who you go with.
    As an apprentice gunsmith in Merryfield, Va I did the breakdown, cleaning and polishing.
    It was a long time ago and I have no idea what prices are today. But **** up a blue job because of shortcuts ain't worth it, even if it is free.
  • SmoothsticksSmoothsticks Posts: 540 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Usaf06 said:
    ...I am a glock fan.
    I I knew I liked you!
    Ruger.(the Chevy of firearms) has come out with a series of semi auto rifles chambered in 9mm and .40 SW.  Rumors are they're working on a 45 ACP version.   Plastic fantastic stock so there shouldn't be the cracking issue Marlin had with their Camp line.  2 carry guns, 1 type of ammo that's readily available......
    Ruger.(the Chevy of firearms) has come out with a series of semi auto rifles chambered in 9mm and .40 SW.  Rumors are they're working on a 45 ACP version.   Plastic fantastic stock so there shouldn't be the cracking issue Marlin had with their Camp line.  2 carry guns, 1 type of ammo that's readily available......
    I'm waiting for the 10 mm version so I can use it as a base for a 9x25 Dillon carbine
  • Usaf06Usaf06 Posts: 10,932 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Usaf06 said:
    ...I am a glock fan.
    I I knew I liked you!

"I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

"LET'S GO FRANCIS"     Peter

• ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 8,284 ✭✭✭✭✭
    0patience said:
    It is irreplaceable, so I think anything I spend on it will be money well spent.

Looks quite nice just as it is.  

Trapped in the People's Communits Republic of Massachusetts.

ShawnOL said:
    0patience said:

Looks quite nice just as it is.  
    It has quite a bit of the blueing worn down and it's a battle to keep rust from starting, because of the high humidity and salt air here.
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said: