Home Non Cigar Related

What are you reading?

Comments

• silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,044 ✭✭✭✭✭
    webmost said:
    What we have learned in the age of relativity is that the problem with the answer is the the. What we have unlearned is the answer.

Are we any happier for having traded the answer for there is no answer?

Are we any closer to the truth?

Uncertainty makes most people uncomfortable. Many would rather be mistaking their opinions for not-knowing. Social media makes that easy. Schools beat not-knowing out of us.
  • MarkwellMarkwell Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just got the first edition of the last book my friend Bill Withuhn wrote before his death, published by his family earlier this year. Bill was quite a brilliant mind when it came to steam. He was the head transportation curator for Smithsonian Institute's American History Museum as well as a fully qualified locomotive engineer for many decades. 
    “Happiness? A good cigar, a good meal, a good cigar and a good woman – or a bad woman; it depends on how much happiness you can handle.” – George Burns
  • YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Killing Lincoln, Bill O'Reilly.  Digs deep into the nitty gritty of historical events.
  • VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭✭
    BKDog said:
    Currently reading Epictetus (The Enchiridion).
    Easy for you to say...
    Don't look ↑
  • MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    BKDog said:
    Currently reading Epictetus (The Enchiridion).
    Easy for you to say...
    The genre of "handbook" is kinda fascinating to me.  1 John is considered by some scholars to be a version of an enchiridion rather than other classifications it might be labeled with.  It doesn't take the typical form of an ancient letter.  How to give guidance and advice for life. 
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
  • CalvinAndHoboCalvinAndHobo Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shift - Hugh Howey

Wool was freaking incredible, I recommend it to everyone. 
  • Captain_CallCaptain_Call Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shift - Hugh Howey

It was wild wasn't it!?
    Shift - Hugh Howey

It was wild wasn't it!?
    I'm already excited to read it again knowing the ending, and to see what I missed. 
  • johnnyBjohnnyB Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shift - Hugh Howey

It was wild wasn't it!?
    I'm already excited to read it again knowing the ending, and to see what I missed. 
    Love the silo series great read
    Non Crux sed lux
    well, you asked, lol.

Microbial Dark Matter Investigations: How Microbial Studies Transform Biological Knowledge and Empirically Sketch a Logic of Scientific Discovery

https://academic.oup.com/gbe/article/10/3/707/4840377
    human biocomputer research:

A CRISPR/Cas9-based central processing unit to program complex logic computation in human cells
    https://www.pnas.org/content/116/15/7214
  • MarkwellMarkwell Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just reading the title makes my wee brain hurt Edward  :D
    “Happiness? A good cigar, a good meal, a good cigar and a good woman – or a bad woman; it depends on how much happiness you can handle.” – George Burns
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3235257/

https://researchfeatures.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/Dr-Tania-Roth-University-of-Delaware-Epigenetics.pdf

reading this morning about how adverse early experiences are sometimes coded epigenetically in one's dna and this song occurred to me. Learning to compensate for one's mind/body unwanted programming is a great challenge; it's so easy to fall down the wrong rabbit hole:

White Rabbit by Grace Slick:

[Verse 1]
    One pill makes you larger
    And one pill makes you small
    And the ones that mother gives you
    Don't do anything at all
    Go ask Alice
    When she's ten feet tall

[Verse 2]
    And if you go chasing rabbits
    And you know you're going to fall
    Tell 'em a hookah smoking caterpillar
    Has given you the call...
    Call Alice
    When she was just small

[Verse 3]
    When the men on the chessboard
    Get up and tell you where to go
    And you've just had some kind of mushroom
    And your mind is moving low
    Go ask Alice
    I think she'll know

[Verse 4]
    When logic and proportion
    Have fallen sloppy dead
    And the White Knight is talking backwards
    And the Red Queen's off with her head
    Remember what the Dormouse said
    Feed your head
    Feed your head
  • First_WarriorFirst_Warrior Posts: 3,140 ✭✭✭✭✭
    New World Kitchen by Norman Van Aken. Great cook book on Latin American and Caribbean eats. Picked it up at the thrift store. Reading this makes me hungry. 
  • ForMudForMud Posts: 2,336 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shift - Hugh Howey

johnnyB said:
    Shift - Hugh Howey

It was wild wasn't it!?
    Love the silo series great read
    I read that series when it first came out.....I agree 100%
    titanium dioxide in food
    https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fnut.2019.00057/full

"This study investigated effects of titanium dioxide on gut health in mice and found that titanium dioxide did not change the composition of gut microbiota, but instead it affected bacteria activity and promoted their growth in a form of undesired biofilm. 
    Good to know!
    Don't look ↑
    Yeah, another thing to look for in the ingredients list. It's in toothpaste, cosmetics, condiments, frostings, sausages, lots of processed foods. France is banning it starting next year. Best to stay away from most processed foods. Most TiO2 in food is non-nano, but it breaks down to  sewage treatment plants...

Environmental waste introduction[edit]

Titanium dioxide (TiO₂) is mostly introduced into the environment as nanoparticles via wastewater treatment plants.[85] Cosmetic pigments including titanium dioxide enter the wastewater when the product is washed off into sinks after cosmetic use. Once in the sewage treatment plants, pigments separate into sewage sludge which can then be released into the soil when injected into the soil or distributed on its surface. 99% of these nanoparticles wind up on land rather than in aquatic environments due to their retention in sewage sludge.[85]In the environment, titanium dioxide nanoparticles have low to negligible solubility and have been shown to be stable once particle aggregates are formed in soil and water surroundings.[85] In the process of dissolution, water-soluble ions typically dissociate from the nanoparticle into solution when thermodynamically unstable. TiO2 dissolution increases when there are higher levels of dissolved organic matter and clay in the soil. However, aggregation is promoted by pH at the isoelectric point of TiO2 (pH = 5.8) which renders it neutral and solution ion concentrations above 4.5 mM.[86][87]

In 2019, France decided to ban the use of titantium dioxide in food from 2020 on.[88]

One Second After by William R. Forstchen. Chilling novel about the effects of a electromagnetic attack on the USA. Takes place in Black Mountain north of Asheville. I know the area well and that made the book compelling. Starting The Last Man by Vince Flynn.
    https://www.academia.edu/39150604/self_and_no_self

“We are but whirlpools in a river of ever-flowing water. We are not stuff that abides, but patterns that perpetuate themselves.” ~ Norbert Wiener 

"After many intense years of study and Bhavana or mental development, the Buddha, sitting under the Bodhi tree on the night of a full moon, experienced a remarkable insight. He realized that all observable phenomena are dynamic, subject to constant change, to co-rising and ceasing, and that there are no permanent beginning or end states—either physical or mental. Everything changes, thus, there is no fixed ‘essence’ or ultimate nature only a process of becoming which implies impermanence (Anicca). Likewise there is no static, permanent self or soul, only a continuously evolving pattern. This seemingly simple statement has profound implications."
    One Second After by William R. Forstchen. Chilling novel about the effects of a electromagnetic attack on the USA. Takes place in Black Mountain north of Asheville. I know the area well and that made the book compelling. Starting The Last Man by Vince Flynn.
    Really good novel and heart wrenching @First_Warrior .  One year after is also a great sequel.  The third book is the third best book in the series, but still pretty good.
    Don't look ↑
    Didn't know that One Second After was part of a series. I'll hit our library and see what they have. Thanks Frank.
    Possibilities for Engineered Insect Tissue as a Food Source
    https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fsufs.2019.00024/full
    Forgot about this thread. I'm on the third book in the John Wells series, "The Silent Man" by Alex Berenson. The first and second ones were really good, this one is meh. Hoping the next book is better. 
  • Captain_CallCaptain_Call Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Forgot about this thread. I'm on the third book in the John Wells series, "The Silent Man" by Alex Berenson. The first and second ones were really good, this one is meh. Hoping the next book is better. 
    I was just about to ask if you read anything good lately
    Metabolism of Dietary and Microbial Vitamin B Family in the Regulation of Host Immunity

https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fnut.2019.00048/full
  • YaksterYakster Posts: 25,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • YaksterYakster Posts: 25,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2019
    Effect of edible coating on the aromatic attributes of roasted coffee beans

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4554632/

I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
    Just finished One Year After by William Forstchen and starting Mission Critical by Mark Greaney a Grey Man novel.