Home Non Cigar Related

What are you reading?

Comments

• First_WarriorFirst_Warrior Posts: 3,140 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A Dangerous Man by Robert Crais. Elvis Cole and Joe Pike go after it again. Easy read, I'l probably finish it in two days with two cigars. 
  • CalvinAndHoboCalvinAndHobo Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The client - John Grisham 
  • webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Re-reading the entire Hornblower series for the umpti-umpth time
    “It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

webmost said:
    Re-reading the entire Hornblower series for the umpti-umpth time
    I loved those. 
    The Rainmaker - John Grisham
  • twistedstemtwistedstem Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just finished The Silent Patient. Was pretty good. Nice murder mystery with a twist. 
    no matter where you go, there you are.

The Partner - John Grisham 
    The Broker - John Grisham 
  • NorCalR1NorCalR1 Posts: 4,197 ✭✭✭✭✭
    2019 City of San Jose Fleet Annual report - which I wrote and will be presenting to council on Monday. 

If you want to bomb me send it to Tony @0patience :D
    If you are a newbie I got Dem nachos....

• silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,047 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sum of three cubes for 42 finally solved -- using real life planetary computer

Date:
    September 6, 2019
    Source:
    University of Bristol
    Summary:
    Hot on the heels of the ground-breaking 'Sum-Of-Three-Cubes' solution for the number 33, mathematicians have solved the final piece of the famous 65-year-old math puzzle with an answer for the most elusive number of all - 42.
    Share:
    FULL STORY

Hot on the heels of the ground-breaking 'Sum-Of-Three-Cubes' solution for the number 33, a team led by the University of Bristol and Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) has solved the final piece of the famous 65-year-old maths puzzle with an answer for the most elusive number of all -- 42.

The original problem, set in 1954 at the University of Cambridge, looked for Solutions of the Diophantine Equation x^3+y^3+z^3=k, with k being all the numbers from one to 100.

Beyond the easily found small solutions, the problem soon became intractable as the more interesting answers -- if indeed they existed -- could not possibly be calculated, so vast were the numbers required.

But slowly, over many years, each value of k was eventually solved for (or proved unsolvable), thanks to sophisticated techniques and modern computers -- except the last two, the most difficult of all; 33 and 42.

Fast forward to 2019 and Professor Andrew Booker's mathematical ingenuity plus weeks on a university supercomputer finally found an answer for 33, meaning that the last number outstanding in this decades-old conundrum, the toughest nut to crack, was that firm favourite of Douglas Adams fans everywhere.

However, solving 42 was another level of complexity. Professor Booker turned to MIT maths professor Andrew Sutherland, a world record breaker with massively parallel computations, and -- as if by further cosmic coincidence -- secured the services of a planetary computing platform reminiscent of "Deep Thought," the giant machine which gives the answer 42 in Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

Professors Booker and Sutherland's solution for 42 would be found by using Charity Engine; a 'worldwide computer' that harnesses idle, unused computing power from over 500,000 home PCs to create a crowd-sourced, super-green platform made entirely from otherwise wasted capacity.

The answer, which took over a million hours of calculating to prove, is as follows:

X = -80538738812075974 Y = 80435758145817515 Z = 12602123297335631

And with these almost infinitely improbable numbers, the famous Solutions of the Diophantine Equation (1954) may finally be laid to rest for every value of k from one to 100 -- even 42.

Professor Booker, who is based at the University of Bristol's School of Mathematics, said: "I feel relieved. In this game it's impossible to be sure that you'll find something. It's a bit like trying to predict earthquakes, in that we have only rough probabilities to go by.

"So, we might find what we're looking for with a few months of searching, or it might be that the solution isn't found for another century."

Story Source:

Materials provided by University of BristolNote: Content may be edited for style and length.

• jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2019

Sum of three cubes for 42 finally solved -- using real life planetary computer

Date:
    September 6, 2019
    Source:
    University of Bristol
    Summary:
    Hot on the heels of the ground-breaking 'Sum-Of-Three-Cubes' solution for the number 33, mathematicians have solved the final piece of the famous 65-year-old math puzzle with an answer for the most elusive number of all - 42.
    Share:
    FULL STORY

.....and this contributes exactly what for humanity....

The Brethren - John Grisham 
    Experimental replication shows knives manufactured from frozen human feces do not work:

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2352409X19305371
  • YaksterYakster Posts: 25,529 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow, suddenly I have a lot of extra time, looking for a new project.
    I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
    The Last Juror - John Grisham 
    Pegasus Descending,  James Lee Burke
    The Litigators - John Grisham
  • WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "The Lies of Locke Lamora" was so good, I'm going straight into "Red Skies over Red Seas". Usually I split up a series and read something else in-between.
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
    The Runaway Jury - John Grisham

Starting to lose a little enthusiasm when picking up the next book. I’ll see how it goes, but it might be time to mix it up and save the remaining ones for another day.  
    The Tenth Justice - Brad Meltzer 
    Swan Peak,  James Lee Burke.  Picked up a box of books at our library's annual book sale.
    article about what motivates people to believe climate change isn't happening

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/denying-the-grave/201901/climate-change-denial
  • MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    article about what motivates people to believe climate change isn't happening

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/denying-the-grave/201901/climate-change-denial
    The interesting thing about this young lady, Greta Thunberg, from Sweden is that she points out how we've made a mistake in polarizing climate change. 

As soon as it was made a "liberal's" issue, conservatives ran from it. 

This problem is everyone's.
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
    Dead Even - Brad Meltzer
  • deadmandeadman Posts: 8,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Picked these up last week

The First Counsel - Brad Meltzer
  • YaksterYakster Posts: 25,529 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Saloons of the Old West
    I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )