Home Non Cigar Related

Any photographers out there?

HeavysetrapierHeavysetrapier Posts: 642 ✭✭✭✭✭
I'm looking to get my girlfriend a camera for Christmas. She was studying photography before and she had a nice camera that got stolen. I want to get her a nice camera for beginners, but something that takes good quality pictures that she could possibly use for like a side business or something like that. I don't need to buy her a bunch of fancy lenses, but I would like it that the camera can accept different lenses and such so that it can be added to later if necessary.

I'm currently looking at a Nikon D3500 bundle that comes with a couple of lenses and some other accessories. I know absolutely nothing about any of this and am wondering if there's anyone out there who might have some advice on the subject.

I'm thinking that black Friday would be a good time to get a good deal on something like this.

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks in advance.

Comments

• silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,044 ✭✭✭✭✭
    a quite decent entry-level camera, about $450 with two zoom lenses at adorama. 
  • Trykflyr_1Trykflyr_1 Posts: 2,500 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can't go wrong with Nikon.   I've made a fair living with them in both 35mm and digital.  Bought an F2 manual 35mm well used from my boss in 1983.  Still have it and used it faithfully until I was dragged, kicking and scraming loudly, into the digital age after a couple of decades.  The D3500 is a solid unit.
    I'm still troubled by what I did for that Klondike bar...
    $200 more gets you an advanced entry level camera, D5600 with the two zooms.
  • HeavysetrapierHeavysetrapier Posts: 642 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cool thanks y'all! I'm thinking that I'll get the D3500 bundle from Amazon with the 2 lenses, flash, and other accessories for ~$500. I'll probably get the 3 year protection plan as well.
    Heard that. So upon further research I decided against one of those bundles because they fill them with high margin crap that you may or may not use. Instead I saved about $125 and just got the camera and 2 lenses (the 18-55mm vr and the 70-300mm ed lenses). Figure I'll spend $25 on a case and I'll look into those uv protectors.

Thanks for the info!
  • TBonzTBonz Posts: 554 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like you are set for this "round" to get her started.  In terms of using it for a side business, it really depends on the type of photography as to what she will need.  In general, she can get great images with that kit setup, but it is a beginner's kit.  Some folks never need more and some folks need lots more.  Don't want that to sound negative - actually meant to be positive in that you picked a great place to start.  It is just the way it is with photography because some areas require tools that are more specialized from studio lighting to specialized lenses and other gear.  Sometimes you can "make it work" with what you got but long term it is good to plan as she starts to expand her gear.
    Spend the cash and get GOOD editing software.   I'd shy away from anything by Corel to be honest. It's kludgey and pretty slow.   Lightroom is a solid bet.  There's a freeware called Snapseed but it's really limited.  The 2 lenses, as @TBonz said, are a great starting point for the majority of day to day use.  Expect to expand and expand rapidly.   
    Sweet! Sounds like I got a good start. One of my sisters will get her a tripod and the other will get some uv protectors. How necessary is an external flash unit? I'm thinking that might be something that can wait?
    I'd hold off.   The integral flash is adequate unless you're trying to bounce flash or backlight something.   Just a tip...she may know this already...  shoot everything in RAW format.  A lot of editing programs won't work well in JPEG, JPG or TIF formats.   Has to do with how the formats deal with pixels.  Get it right in the viewfinder and with the f/stop -shutter settings.  Post editing is just touch up.  
    Spend the cash and get GOOD editing software.   I'd shy away from anything by Corel to be honest. It's kludgey and pretty slow.   Lightroom is a solid bet.  There's a freeware called Snapseed but it's really limited.  The 2 lenses, as @TBonz said, are a great starting point for the majority of day to day use.  Expect to expand and expand rapidly.   
    I agree with the editing software...Nikon also has some free software that can be used for editing.  NAS is as bad as CAS when looking to expand.

Honestly that expansion includes tripod and flash. The SB-700 is a good flash that would be usable long term and isn't significantly more expensive than the two lower end units.  The high end SB-5000 is probably overkill for now and is probably twice as expensive as the SB-700.

Tripods can be difficult to purchase.  The cheaper ones come basically as a unit and won't necessarily provide rock solid support.  The more expensive ones come in multiple parts - legs and a head and can run into several hundred dollars for each part.  Many photographers (including me) have certain features they want on a tripod configuration of both head and legs.

I would also recommend that she check out www.nikonforums.com once she gets  her new camera...It is a good friendly place with people willing to help and share...much like the folks here. 
  • YaksterYakster Posts: 25,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @peter4jc I never really thought of this as the place where pictures of my fresh hot buns would be in demand, but I'm willing to give the people what they want...

Never underestimate the demand for pictures of fresh hot buns.

https://youtu.be/IgrPpmKDkf4
    I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
    One other thing that'll come in handy is some form of remote shutter release.  I suspect there's a wifi/bluetooth version of the old cable release now.  I never did much low light stuff once I went digital.  Anything below about 1/120th will give a bit of shake, even with VR lenses.
  • Far_North_64Far_North_64 Posts: 925 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My Canon 5D mark IV can use my phone for remote release. Don't forget a good padded backpack for carrying it around. 
    Now this is not the end of the cigar. It is not even the beginning of the end of the cigar. But it is, perhaps, the end of the beginning of the cigar.

• avengethisavengethis Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Another good resource is fredmiranda.com, great community forum and a buy/sell section as well where I have been able to get good deals on lenses and offload no longer needed gear.

I agree with much of what is said above, in that once she learns the camera and what she likes to shoot the rabbit hole will open with new lenses that are specialized to what she wants to shoot.  Good gear gets $$ but with care can last a lifetime.  My wife is a Canon lady.  We have an original 5d (her favorite as it creates the mosts realistic shots, not digital looking) and a 5d Mark III which does really well in the lower light shots that you need to crank the ISO up.  Through the years we started with a kit camera and the kit lenses and have sold it all to upgrade the the L series lenses from Canon.  

Good tools can create beautiful images but just because you spend a ton of $$ doesn't mean your pictures will be stunning.  You have to know how your camera works and how to actually take incredible photos.  An Android of Iphone can take incredible photos if you know what you are doing.  They can also take photos that look like dog turds.

Im done rambling for now.  Hope she enjoys
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke ever last one of 'em." - Ron White

• Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love flower shots.  

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Sleddog46Sleddog46 Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sunset from our deck.

You can't dispel Ignorance if you retain Arrogance!

West Kansas, sunrise

I love these moments.  

@TBonz , that Carolina sunset is one of the most awesome I've ever seen!
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
    Thank you!  Blessed with a beautiful area to shoot in...
    Your sunrise images are pretty nice as well!

@silvermouse was asking about phones awhile back, all my photos on here were with the Samsung Galaxy 9. 

My poor old 35mm digital SLR never gets to do anything anymore.

• ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 8,284 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is that a condi? 

Trapped in the People's Communits Republic of Massachusetts.

edited December 2019
    I have no idea.  Took those at the aquarium in Tampa, saw so much stuff!  I need to remember to get shots of the plaques describing these things.  I just get too fascinated with the next shiny object.  "Oooh! Pretty!"  Click, click..."OOoh!  More!"

Just looked up "condi" on Wikipedia.  No results.  Are you talking about the anemone?