Home Non Cigar Related

Netflix recommendations And Prime( if you got it)

Comments

• YaksterYakster Posts: 25,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    The streaming services are adding more foreign titles, maybe because it saves money. Some of them are pretty good, and since my kids are into Anime I've gotten used to subtitles. My only problem with subtitles is that you've got to watch the screen all the time, you can't go upstairs and empty the dishwasher or take care of something else and still follow the story-line.

One of our running family jokes is to say "be quiet, I can't hear the subtitles" when someone's talking over the show. It's really weird, but you almost feel like you're hearing the subtitles after a while once you get used to them. I even turn them on for English language programming since my family likes to talk over and back to the TV.
    I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,315 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Money Heist was indeed worth watching.

Last night I started WWII In Color on Netflix.  I expected to turn it off partway through the first episode, but it has been interesting and improving my understanding of WWII.  It gave me a better grasp on how my dad who was born in Czechoslovakia would end up in the German army, and all sorts of stuff.
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • AlexLongAlexLong Posts: 63 ✭✭✭
    Anyone watching that Aaron Hernandez story? Is it worth watching?
  • avengethisavengethis Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm 4 seasons into Letterkenny and it is hilarious
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke ever last one of 'em." - Ron White
  • HeavysetrapierHeavysetrapier Posts: 642 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Usaf06 said:
    If you can stand subtitles watch money heist on netflix. Good series

Starting Money Heist now.
  • skydiverDskydiverD Posts: 2,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Irishman on Netflix is very good. You have to dedicate 3.5 hours to it though.
    So it's a two cigar flick?  Perfect.....
    How do you like my profile pic Taborski?   @matkn293          
    skydiverD said:
    The Irishman on Netflix is very good. You have to dedicate 3.5 hours to it though.
    So it's a two cigar flick?  Perfect.....
    Especially if I get snowed in, like they're predicting.
  • WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Witcher was awesome. There are three separate timelines that all converge by the end of season 1. 

The Expanse is still really good. It no longer feels like Firefly, but that's okay. It seems to have found it's place.

We started Daybreak last night. It's bizarre. It's awesome. It's violent. It's humorous, I honestly have no clue what it is about, but we are definitely enjoying it. 
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    Wylaff said:

The Expanse is still really good. It no longer feels like Firefly, but that's okay. It seems to have found it's place.

We watched a season and a few episodes of The Expanse when it started on SyFy.  My wife really disliked it.  I found enough intriguing that I read the first couple of books, which is all my library system had.  I would have read more but wouldn't pay for them.

We started watching again.  Too "hard sci-fi" for my daughter, but my son likes it, so it's what we watch together when she's not around.  I've really enjoyed it.  My wife still hates Holden's only "look" that he uses for everything.  It's kinda like her dislike of Kristen Stewart biting her lip.  She gets hung up on it and will stop watching and just listen.

At any rate, everyone is stuck in the ring.  Amos has become Amos, and I love his character's interaction with others.  I felt he was missing something compared to the books when we first watched, but his interaction with the pastor lady who was on Lost has me giggling.  I think he's doing great.

Cara Gee as the bad@$$ Belter captain of the Behemoth has me fascinated.  She's an intriguing actress for some reason.

So, I'll second it.  It's GoT in space.  Pretty literally as the story was written under a pen name by a couple of former assistants to GRRM.  Just less sex than HBO.
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
  • SmoothsticksSmoothsticks Posts: 540 ✭✭✭✭✭
    AlexLong said:
    Anyone watching that Aaron Hernandez story? Is it worth watching?
    Just finished the first episode. Very interesting and I will probably continue it. It's a crazy world we live in.
  • Usaf06Usaf06 Posts: 10,932 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I watched the Aaron Hernandez story. Its worth a watch. I found it interesting that Jose Baez ripped it on social media calling the producers liars. Lmao... he is one of the sleaziest defense layers their is. 
    "I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

"LET'S GO FRANCIS"     Peter

• SmoothsticksSmoothsticks Posts: 540 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Letterkenny is the funniest thing on Hulu. 
  • dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Into the Badlands on Netflix, 3 seasons of extreme violence
    A little dirt never hurt
    edited January 2020
    Prime: A touch of Cloth, for fans of BBC Police Dramas and Angie Tribeca. Especially recommended if you've watched Scott and Bailey.

Fleabag, for fans of Miranda but want a NSFW comedy.

• HeavysetrapierHeavysetrapier Posts: 642 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Usaf06 said:
    If you can stand subtitles watch money heist on netflix. Good series

Money Heist is great. Just started the 3rd season. I don't have to deal with subtitles though. Mine is all dubbed over in English.
    The original voices makes it imo. I tried the dub over and it felt like I was watching old kung fu movies
    "I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

• avengethisavengethis Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Report on Amazon Prime was really interesting
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke ever last one of 'em." - Ron White
    I started watching McMillions, HBO's documentary on the FBI fraud investigation into the McDonald's Monopoly game.

• BKDogBKDog Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A little older show, Penny Dreadful on Netflix was pretty fantastic and scary enough for an ataractic fellow like myself. I really do fancy Eva Green. ;)

On Prime, I just bought Ford V. Ferrari which is the best movie in the history of the world. Matt Damon and Christian Bale both performed really well, but the story was really well done. I especially liked how they depicted Ford II "The Deuce". The scene in the GT with Matt Damon had me in stitches. :D Well worth the $20 I'd say. The whole fight between Ford and Ferrari really was based on a bit of silliness, but I think it's more about national pride than anything else. If that's the case, the 50th anniversary race n 2016 when Ford won again really must have hit home for the Ferrari guys. lol
    "Love is a dung heap, Betty and I am but a c.o.c.k. that climbs upon it to crow."
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Loved Ford V Ferrari.  I may have said that here before, not sure.  I don't think I have liked a movie that much since Tombstone.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
    Loved Ford V Ferrari.  I may have said that here before, not sure.  I don't think I have liked a movie that much since Tombstone.
    Have you watched The Highwaymen?
  • WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    And now for something a little different. If any of you listen to Spotify and enjoy Sci-Fi, look into Wolf 359. It is a very well made radio drama. In total it's about 50 hours long. The first 10 episodes are just to set up the characters, but after that the story really takes off. Great blend of drama and comedy, and beautiful production value.
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
    peter4jc said:
    No.  Will check it out.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
    peter4jc said:
    No.  Will check it out.
    I was wrong, I did see that and enjoyed it very much.  I'd forgotten the name. When I see "The Highwaymen" I'm thinking Johnny Cash, Waylon Jennings, Kris Kristofferson, and Willie Nelson.  

edited February 2020
    Netflix: What Did Jack Do? Just about the strangest 17 minutes on Netflix

David Lynch
    Post edited by Yakster on

• VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2020
    The devil next door about John demjanjuk was fabulous. Do yourself a favor and don't go Google the story until you watch it. 5 episodes about an hour each.

He was a retired auto worker who was accused of being Ivan the terrible, the switchman in a **** concentration camp gas house.

I grew up in Cleveland and this was huge there in the '80s. I lost track of it as I got older and never knew how it ended up. Glad I watched.
    Don't look ↑

Fauda on Netflix is excellent! Israeli undercover intelligence vs. Hamas stuff... seems realistic and accurate, educational and informative, and just overall excellent.

Narcos new season is out
    -- Winston Churchill

• IndustMechIndustMech Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭✭✭

I know, You're a big dog and I'm on the list.
    Let's eat, GrandMa.  /  Let's eat GrandMa.  --  Punctuation saves lives

It'll be fine once the swelling goes down.