Home Non Cigar Related

Forum hiccups?

Comments

• jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ain’t no way I’ll toss my iPhone. But thanks, anyway. And, while I’ll agree that I may be part of the problem, I’ve read enough posts from others that I’m sure I’m not the only one who has problems with the functioning of the forum.

As for my part in the problems, I’m always open to advice or education.  
  • peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,319 ✭✭✭✭✭
    But if a Chromebook made your forum life, not to mention your overall online life, that much better why not at least consider it?
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
    If it won’t fit in my shirt pocket, it’s just not for me. And I’ve tried an Android so let’s don’t even go there...... 👎
  • VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe an updated iPhone? I'm one of those sucky Android users, so I'm not sure, but I have the ability to download other browser programs. Maybe instead of safari use some sort of chrome or some other browser?

And I have noticed one weird thing about this forum. If I try to put my cursor back into the middle of a sentence to add words or whatever, it will sometimes overwrite the next word when I hit the spacebar. Kind of annoying but it is just a cork more than a glitch.
    Don't look ↑
  • VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Quirk not cork ^
    Don't look ↑
  • NorCalR1NorCalR1 Posts: 4,197 ✭✭✭✭✭
    iPhone user and have had zero issues. Maybe it is just an outdated IPhone and it can’t keep up. What’s model is being used?

If you want to bomb me send it to Tony @0patience :D
    If you are a newbie I got Dem nachos....

• TX98Z28TX98Z28 Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭✭✭
    iPhone 5s here and no issues except the higher resolution picture window not available anymore, also cant see who/which users are hitting the button on my posts so have to go on the MBP for that...Kinda a PITA as some will hit a button to respond quick instead of texting out their response.

I'll get a new iPhone when this one either breaks, battery life gets worse, just fits so damn good in my pocket with the Otter box protector on it! LOL
    If you quote me do the @TX98Z28 in your text or I won't be notified of your quote, Thanks.
  • deadmandeadman Posts: 8,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    iPhone 7 here no issues with the forum
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jlmarta said:
    Ain’t no way I’ll toss my iPhone. But thanks, anyway. And, while I’ll agree that I may be part of the problem, I’ve read enough posts from others that I’m sure I’m not the only one who has problems with the functioning of the forum.

Google Chrome can be found on the apple app store.
    You could use it for the forum and Safari for everything else.
    Just an option.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
    edited February 2020
    0patience said:
    jlmarta said:

Google Chrome can be found on the apple app store.
    You could use it for the forum and Safari for everything else.
    Just an option.
    Thanks, Tony. I gave up on Chrome when I found Firefox is so much faster but your point is well taken. 

Only difference is that Safari lets me adjust the size of the text (for these tired old eyes) but so far I haven’t figured out how to do that with Firefox. 

But still, even on Safari, I don’t have those kinds of troubles with any other website - just the CCom forom. That pretty much clinches the case for me - it’s not my device or my OS, it’s the damned forum!  👴🏻
    edited February 2020
    @jlmarta
    Agreed. 
    Part of the problem may be when someone starts messing with it. For upgrades, updates or whatever.
    Just like changing the "disagree" and "wtf" or the image settings.

Why do they need to mess with stuff? Did any of us ask for it? 
    Were there complaints?

KISS - Kelp It Simple, Stupid
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
    I guess IT people don't understand that.

And then there is the moronic censoring.
    Who ever the idiot is who set it up, fire them.
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
    BTW, I mis-spoke in my last post where I say ‘it’s not my device or OS’ I meant my browser, not my OS. 

Not a big deal - just wanted to clear that up.....  🤐
  • TheCigarChickTheCigarChick Moderator Posts: 296 admin
    Need your help, guys: can anyone experiencing issues send me a screenshot to lindsayh@cigar.com?  I've been dealing with the person who handles our account at the platform hosting service for the Forum, and they need some visual examples to help them better understand my bullet points.

Another question raised was the Android OS and iOS used when the new comment on an older thread issue arises. Apparently the issue is more common with Android users and less-so with iPhone, but they need more information.  I've also been told we can switch to a posting system which should in theory fix a lot of issues, but the kicker here is I don't have the ability to make that platform switch as I'm not a Tech Admin. (FYI, you don't want me as a tech admin - I'm like an old person in a young person's body with that stuff. :D ) There is someone internally in our IT Dept who can, and I've already made the request, so keep your fingers crossed.
  • BKDogBKDog Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cool. I still use a PC. Works well enough on both Satansoft and Linux OS best I can tell, but the forum software is a bit dated and lacking features. Still, completely functional for a non-cyborg smartphone user such as myself. As long as we don't implement anything pertaining to Pokemon, no serious complaints are coming from me.
    Good luck with the Umbrella Corporation phone porting stuff. :D
    "Love is a dung heap, Betty and I am but a c.o.c.k. that climbs upon it to crow."
    It just went bonkers on me trying to post, screen shot as requested.

If you quote me do the @TX98Z28 in your text or I won't be notified of your quote, Thanks.
  • deadmandeadman Posts: 8,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2020
    I just got the same bad gateway message try to load this thread. 

• YaksterYakster Posts: 25,530 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2020
    Yeah, that's from Cloudflare, it sits in front of the forum to help prevent Denial of Service and other connection problems. You'll see this when the forum is slow to respond.

I'm getting this a lot right now.
    I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • YaksterYakster Posts: 25,530 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2020
    Not a serious issue, but I noticed a change in behavior that my posts on a thread are now marked as new until I go back and read them again where before they would only be marked as new when someone else posted a message.
    I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,048 ✭✭✭✭✭
    yep, its doing that^. Could be worse
    How to Get Rid of Hiccups Causes  Treatments
  • TheCigarChickTheCigarChick Moderator Posts: 296 admin

Okay, so I had a meeting about an hour ago where an IT Admin went in and made the switch to the more "modern" posting service rather than the antiquated one that the hosting service stated was in use by the forum. This, according to the people at the hosting service, is supposed to relieve a lot of the issues with posting, viewing photos, line breaks, etc.

We'll see. Thanks for your time and effort!

I just posted a reply to a thread (this one will prolly do the same) and in the forum it's showing there's a new reply to that thread, mine.

Anyone else having troubles getting pages to load?
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 8,284 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My pages are loading fine. The little blue progress bar at the top of the page is now white. Still saying one new post when it's my own. Thanks for doing what you can, Lindsey

Trapped in the People's Communits Republic of Massachusetts.

My progress bar is still blue. It’s also still as hesitant to move as it has been.

I also notice that the ‘quote’ button is now missing.

Other than that, status quo seems to remain.....
    Quote button is gone!
    ^^^Photos not posting properly now either.
  • IndustMechIndustMech Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭✭✭

I know, You're a big dog and I'm on the list.
    Let's eat, GrandMa.  /  Let's eat GrandMa.  --  Punctuation saves lives

It'll be fine once the swelling goes down.

• IndustMechIndustMech Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2020

This is one an Android phone in "desktop mode"

Both had a Quote button. Didn't see the quote button on my phone when using "mobile site"

I know, You're a big dog and I'm on the list.
    Let's eat, GrandMa.  /  Let's eat GrandMa.  --  Punctuation saves lives

It'll be fine once the swelling goes down.