Home Non Cigar Related

Forum hiccups?

Comments

• silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

Samsung /chrome here works.

• BKDogBKDog Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭✭✭

Test.

"Love is a dung heap, Betty and I am but a c.o.c.k. that climbs upon it to crow."
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’m taken to a sign-in page. So??

• YaksterYakster Posts: 25,530 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just wondering if it works for people who have not been able to login.

I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )

Ah, so. Thanks.
    Please excuse my ignorance. I shoulda known better than to jump into the middle of something without knowing the whole story.

Musta had a brain cramp.... 😝

• webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭

I get to a login page.
    When I log in, I get this:

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

Strange

• peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,319 ✭✭✭✭✭

I PM'd Lindsay, who said she submitted a ticket to IT yesterday.

"I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • IndustMechIndustMech Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭✭✭

When I tried this link, on my phone, with the browser I can no longer log on with, I was bounced to "recent discussions" with a "Howdy, Stranger" at the bottom of the page.

I know, You're a big dog and I'm on the list.
    Let's eat, GrandMa.  /  Let's eat GrandMa.  --  Punctuation saves lives

It'll be fine once the swelling goes down.

edited March 2020

I'm stumped. I've noticed that when viewing topics, my browser complains that the page is not secure. When going back to the topic list, the page is secure. Didn't notice this until a few weeks ago. No idea if this has any impact on the ability of some people to login.

Post edited by Yakster on

• ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 8,284 ✭✭✭✭✭

Update your virus definitions to include the corona virus.

Trapped in the People's Communits Republic of Massachusetts.

• Usaf06Usaf06 Posts: 10,932 ✭✭✭✭✭

Phone worked now

"I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

"LET'S GO FRANCIS"     Peter

Linux tower in the home office works this morning.
    Haven't tried every machine yet.

Thanks, Linds... you are a gem... you know we love you
    IT, not so much... but you, dearly

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

So, I found out that you can post Instagram links in the message body and they embed. Not a hiccup but a neat feature.

I gotta tell ya, this POS forum has just d@mned near turned me off on using it. After all the years I’ve been addicted to it I’m finally at the point of just flat-assed giving up on it. If something positive doesn’t happen to it pretty d@mned soon y’all can color me gone....

@TheCigarChick

• TheCigarChickTheCigarChick Moderator Posts: 296 admin

@jlmarta No one wants you gone or frustrated, but I don't know what else to say at the moment. CCOM engaged in a contract with the hosting platform eons before I joined the company, and I'm doing whatever I can with limited resources to make sure any issue that requires IT Admin assistance is handled. Due to all the work that goes into our site redesign and the deadlines that must be met, that unfortunately means those projects come first within our IT ticket system.

I convinced a number of people to switch to the more modern posting tool as per many a Forum members' request, and once we did, most of those same people expressed frustration at the change. While I agree it took too long to change it back to the old system, that wasn't my call - the two IT Admins here answer to the Director of Information Technology, and were simply overrun with work having to do with our main website since first and foremost, we are a business. We have semi-decent customization abilities with the Forum's hosting software, but we cannot completely reinvent the wheel as per the software.

All corporate office personnel have been work from home since last week to prevent any potential spread of COVID-19 in the Lehigh Valley, and it's now Governor's orders anyone who can, remain at-home. Our warehouse is still very much up and running and it's exempt from State orders at this time. Those employees have all undergone extra training to ensure all shipments from vendors and those out to our customers are clean; they've even gone as far as to modify their highly-orchestrated picking and packing routines to include social distancing while they continue to work extremely hard.

We are all living in rather uncertain times and everything seems like it needs to undergo modification to ensure the safety of our employees as well as the satisfaction of our customers. Please know that I'm aware this Forum is a place where over the years many people have made legitimate friendships, and now with many of us home all day and night, it's probably a bit of a refuge from the new normal. I take all of this very seriously, and ask that you please realize that while it's still business as usual, that often means extra steps on part of all of CCOM employees.

^^^^Didn’t mean to imply that I expected you could do something to bring about a prompt fix.

I added your name merely to bring the post to your attention.

• ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 8,284 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks, Lindsay. We're all just frustrated with what's going on in the world right now and how it's effecting our daily routines. We appreciate everything you and the IT people are doing to keep us connected.

Trapped in the People's Communits Republic of Massachusetts.

• Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2020

Thanks, Lindsay. You're doing a great job. If I were to ask you to change one thing right now it would simply be this: New normal; New emergency measures. I resist calling what's happening today "Normal".

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain

I think part of the problem, @TheCigarChick, is that we didn't switch back to the same original editing system as before the upgrade. IIRC, we were using the Advanced Editor before and switched to a WYSIWYG Rich Text editor. What we switched to now is a Markdown/BBCode editor which allows us to post photos, but not as easily as before. You may have noticed my tutorials on posting GIFs using a sequence of special characters instead of just clicking a button.

Lindsay, I do also appreciate all you've done and the situation is improved from the first upgrade, but if there's any way to go to the editor we were using before the upgrade it would make the forum easier to use..

• TheCigarChickTheCigarChick Moderator Posts: 296 admin

As far as I was told, IT simply opened the Admin board and flipped the switch back to the old posting system. (Since I wasn't there like I was the first time we switched, I can't verify.) Assuming the VanillaX Hosting Platform didn't undergo an upgrade that would've prevented the Forum from going back to it's original posting methodology, I can't see why we can't go back to the way things were.

I will reopen my ticket with IT to further explain things to the two Tech Admins. It's quite possible my way of explaining things didn't make sense to them, since all this IT jargon might as well be Aramaic to me. Special thanks to @Yakster who I may have to adopt as my own personal techie translator. Do you work for cigars? :)

You would think that, after a lifetime of adapting to ever-changing everything, we old fogies would have learnt, by now, to adapt. @TheCigarChick got my login fixed prompt enough. I love what she's doing. New posting system or old system, I can adapt long as I can unlock the door. I don't expect the gal to walk on water.

Chill.

Easy for me to say, cause I just now stepped back in the house after nubbin a very fine new blend home roll, accompanied by a few swigs on a new bottle of Proper Twelve Irish whiskey.

Life's an uproar. Always has been.

• VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭✭

The forum is working great for me, but the ccom website no longer has a mobile version. It has all the spinning trinkets of the desktop version. Can we get the mobile version of the ccom website back? And yes, I unchecked the request desktop site button..

Don't look ↑

For those who are having problems getting uploaded photos to display, wait longer. The link should appear in your message after the upload is complete. If the upload takes too long, consider using an image resizer on your photos to make them smaller which makes them upload faster and display faster.

• HeavysetrapierHeavysetrapier Posts: 642 ✭✭✭✭✭

Shouldn't every photo taken with my phone be the same size?

edited April 2020

Phones have too many megapixels to load and display easily on the forum. Think about Instagram, they drastically drop the resolution of all your photos when you load them. The coffee forum that I waste time on does too. The photos on your phone are great for editing and printing but not for uploading, resizing really helps.