Home General Discussion

U Suck Postal Slobs

Comments

• CAcigarguy007CAcigarguy007 Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2020

^^^^^^They can't get enough trucks. All of them are in desperate need of additional fleet and have bought up every van, cargo van, box truck and delivery truck there is. Many have standing orders for hundreds. That said, I don't have a problem with USPS. They get it right and fast 99% of the time. Anyone who thinks it's bad now hasn't seen anything yet. The next three weeks will be a doozy! Complete shytshow of swamped like never before seen.

• YaksterYakster Posts: 25,527 ✭✭✭✭✭

Amazon will be delivering my groceries tomorrow night between 8 - 10 pm. No earlier delivery windows.

I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
    edited December 2020

@Yakster said:
    Amazon will be delivering my groceries tomorrow night between 8 - 10 pm. No earlier delivery windows.

A lot of folks are doing this now. The grocery delivery is swamped also. I still get my own groceries but know a lot of people who quit going to the grocery store many months ago and have no plans to return to in person grocery shopping even when covid is over. They love the convenience too much. Even Drizzly is getting utilized much more than previously. Seems we are moving towards a completely delivery based economy for many. A lot of companies have announced that work from home will be permanent as well, even post covid. I'm sure the lockdown that starts tonight in some counties will only increase the use of these services. May return to 3-4 day wait times for delivery windows again. Crazy.

• webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CAcigarguy007 said:

Seems we are moving towards a completely delivery based economy for many. A lot of companies have announced that work from home will be permanent as well, ... Sane.

FIFY

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

@webmost said:

@CAcigarguy007 said:

Seems we are moving towards a completely delivery based economy for many. A lot of companies have announced that work from home will be permanent as well, ... Sane.

FIFY

Agreed. Better quality of life to be sure. Spending more time with our families rather than sitting in traffic makes a lot of sense. Plus folks can move to where they want. The demand on the Lake Tahoe real estate market from folks fleeing the bay area has been insane. I'm sure the exodus will continue as long as it remains an option. It's a unintended blessing for many. More freedom is a great thing.

• 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭

So what exactly did someone disagree with?
    Not understanding what about that post they could disagree with.

In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭

@0patience said:
    So what exactly did someone disagree with?
    Not understanding what about that post they could disagree with.

You'll never know. I posted my cigar-band walking stick I made in the "I made this" thread, and some fool disagreed with that. What did they disagree with? That I made the walking stick? It's one thing to be an axxhole because people are stupid, it's another thing to do it just to be an axxhole.

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • YaksterYakster Posts: 25,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2020

I put a folding table outside the front door that we use for sorting mail, incming and outgoing packages, etc. Had a pizza delivered left on the table last night. Half hawaiian and half tandori chicken. Yum.

I'll be working from home indefinately, our parent company's HQ is moving from San Jose to Houston and my company's HQ is moving from Santa Clara to San Jose, I won't have any assigned place to work when I come in for group collaboration, just will have to grab an open workspace. They'll be saving money on real estate in California eventually, but have to keep at least one floor in the Santa Clara building for the lab.

I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭✭

I always go back and check because sometimes it's me. I'll fat finger an agree or awesome and accidentally disagree.

Don't look ↑
  • CalvinAndHoboCalvinAndHobo Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CAcigarguy007 said:
    ^^^^^^They can't get enough trucks. All of them are in desperate need of additional fleet and have bought up every van, cargo van, box truck and delivery truck there is. Many have standing orders for hundreds. That said, I don't have a problem with USPS. They get it right and fast 99% of the time. Anyone who thinks it's bad now hasn't seen anything yet. The next three weeks will be a doozy! Complete shytshow of swamped like never before seen.

The trucking company I work for is exclusively reefer units (the trailers that keep food cold). This means we charge more per load, and that we can haul less weight than normal because the refrigeration devices weigh a couple thousand pounds. We just secured a contract with Fedex this month. They don't need anything refrigerated, but they're going to pay us extra for our refrigerated trucks because they need stuff moved and don't have any other options.

• NorCalR1NorCalR1 Posts: 4,197 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CalvinAndHobo said:

@CAcigarguy007 said:

The trucking company I work for is exclusively reefer units (the trailers that keep food cold). This means we charge more per load, and that we can haul less weight than normal because the refrigeration devices weigh a couple thousand pounds. We just secured a contract with Fedex this month. They don't need anything refrigerated, but they're going to pay us extra for our refrigerated trucks because they need stuff moved and don't have any other options.

Large backlog in new vehicle orders due to COVID shutdowns earlier this year at manufacturers, parts availability due due to shutdowns, and early model year closing of order banks. We have about 60 vehicles/ Equipment that will be 6 months to 1 year late when delivered.

If you want to bomb me send it to Tony @0patience :D
    If you are a newbie I got Dem nachos....

Here's something a little unusual.

Placed a CCOM order on Dec 4th. Rather a large order. Couple days ago, account info showing it has not yet been processed at all, I called. Very helpful young lady with a slight, unidentifiable accent tells me she'll expedite the order.

Now I get a message that processing has begun. A label has been created. Here we are, 6 days after placing the order, USPS tracking info shows that they've not yet received the package.

Makes me wonder, is CCOM having that much trouble processing the order? Has the USPS dropped the package into a black hole somewhere? Am I being unreasonable in my expectations?

Normally, if I place an order on a Friday morning, I've got a package by no later than Thursday, sometimes by Tuesday. Most often, if something goes wrong, it's in Memphis. Packages frequently take long rests at the USPS processing center in Memphis. At least, mine do. They also seem to pick up a lot of tears, dents, general debris there. Must be a party spot.

I guess that if there's no progress by tomorrow, I may call again just to see if the package was ever really put together. A week out and NO movement from the warehouse has never happened before.

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • VisionVision Posts: 7,764 ✭✭✭✭✭

I had a cbid order sit for 15 days “processing”. Just went thru

Good to know. It's 2020, right?

• TheKrakenTheKraken Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Amos_Umwhat i had a similar order that was small held up for 10 days also. Think they're just slammed and put larger profile customers as higher priority.

• d_bladesd_blades Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭✭✭

USPS is letting me down, they have a box I've been waiting 9 days for, just shows late delivery and it was 300 miles from here 5 days ago.

Don't let the wife know what you spend on guns, ammo or cigars.

• ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 8,284 ✭✭✭✭✭

I placed an order with another company on November 13th with another site. Still says label created, waiting to be picked up by USPS. Company claims it was picked up and has been sitting at USPS since. I don't know who to believe.

Trapped in the People's Communits Republic of Massachusetts.

• d_bladesd_blades Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ShawnOL said:
    I placed an order with another company on November 13th with another site. Still says label created, waiting to be picked up by USPS. Company claims it was picked up and has been sitting at USPS since. I don't know who to believe.

My package now shows it arrived in St Louis, again...

Don't let the wife know what you spend on guns, ammo or cigars.

7 days out, USPS still states hasn't received the package from CCOM.

Meanwhile, another package is due to arrive this p.m. It reached Memphis yesterday morning, and still hasn't left there. How's it "In transit and on time" if it hasn't left Memphis yet?

Perhaps it's better I leave these mysteries unexplored, trusting that the ever faithful and diligent employees of the USPS are working non-stop to fulfill their obligations.

:D

• webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd hate to be in charge of the Post Office right now. I mean, wouldn't you? Prolly a nice salary; I'd take the job for that. But the job itself, which used to be a sinecure, is presently un-do-able.

Figure that you depend on snail mail for your whole income. But snail mail is steadily going the way of the eight-track. Nobody pays you when an email flies. Shoot, I can't even remember last time I paid even a utility by check. You? I moved the house account to the same bank I have my business account, the gal asked me do I want to order checks, I said for what? The self-checkout doesn't take checks. This has been going on for years. Before you got the job as Postmaster General, some clown signed one contract with Amazon and another with UPS. When it's efficient to drive, Amazon delivers itself; when it's not cost effective, they hand it to you. China pays pennies on the dollar cause some globalist in their pocket said so. Your income basically sucks.

Tough enough. Now here comes the Wuhan. People still working are sending emails from home, Those who aren't don't even mail the mortgage. Even junk mail is in the crapper, cause Suzie's Gifte Shoppe is outta business and Giuseppe's Pizza is hanging by its fingernails. Everyone's buying on Amazon, cause, hey, why not?

Throw in Christmas.

Your staff is dyspeptic unionized gummint slow-walkers, so you are up to here with quotas and regulations. They're sure not busting their fat butts to keep up.

You are tasked with visiting each and every address once a day. So every time they build a million new houses, you gotta make a million new deliveries. What else can you cut? Try to so much as eliminate a street corner mailbox and the Trump-haters are up in arms saying you're trying to eff up their rigged election.

What are you sposed to do?

The Trump haters who I know can't wait to blame "that clown who Trump appointed..." but this guy was CEO of a multi-billion logistics company. He ought to know what he's doing. He's not like Bush's EPA guy who was someone's favorite show horse judge up until the hurricane hit. This guy is the real deal. But I don't think Ben Franklin himself could succeed at this job today. USPS is a sinking ship at this point. Problem is, nothing the gummint does can be allowed to sink naturally. So they'll toss round blame and toss in money.

I wouldn't want the task. Can't be done.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Diver43Diver43 Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, I dropped of two boxes Monday at 11:19 AM. This morning they departed the Opa Locka facility at 5:51 AM. A whole 6 miles from where I dropped them off. Todays USPS Sucks!

Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,043 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sent a lottery package Dec. 2, arrived in Charlotte Dec. 6, has been about to be delivered for the last 6 days. The volume of parcels has overwhelmed the carriers. I know we have been having tons of stuff delivered via them rather than shopping in stores in person. Neither of us has been in a store, with a couple of exceptions since mid-March.

I thought the sign on the door said that heroes work there...

Don't look ↑
  • TheKrakenTheKraken Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭✭✭

Any concern for cigars sitting in cold weather for that long in the NE?

Nah. It's better than them sitting in the heat during the summer....

Don't look ↑
  • NorCalR1NorCalR1 Posts: 4,197 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2020

I believe some of the slowdown with their priority packages is due to their contract with Amazon takes priority for their deliveries. Throw in the pandemic and the logistics of the holidays and I don’t think any carrier is prepared or staffed to handle it. Just give it two weeks when FedEx and UPS start to deliver Vaccines ( they each get half the country). There will be real bottlenecks by all delivery companies that will last for the next several months. They will honor their government contracts before all other parcels.
    Best advice would be get out what you need early next week with USPS and know there will be delays.

Post edited by NorCalR1 on

If you want to bomb me send it to Tony @0patience :D
    If you are a newbie I got Dem nachos....

No more surepost option on cigars for me...

Don't look ↑
  • silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,043 ✭✭✭✭✭

between the virus and holidays USPS is in near-total meltdown it seems. Ordered a couple of things from SB 6 days ago, one of them is "in transit" and the other one has been received in Orange, CA and is still "awaiting acceptance", they're not even able to send it on its way.