Home Non Cigar Related

The Thought Pool

MrPossumMrPossum Posts: 503 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited June 2022 in Non Cigar Related

Bring your abstract and philosophical thoughts. I’d like to hear your wisdom, as odd or as interesting as it may be. Things that you apply to life, or toss to the side after the moment. Part of life is finding yourself alone in your head, thinking of random things. Grab a cigar, get a little altered if you’d like, let’s see how deep gets.

Comments

• JrflicksterJrflickster Posts: 3,547 ✭✭✭✭✭

Puppies are worse than kids atleast grandma will take the kids occasionally.

• MrShrekMrShrek Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭✭✭

“Ogres are like onions.”

• VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭✭

...they're bulbous and they stink

Don't look ↑
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭

In the abstract, I believe this thread is unwarranted. But y'all go right ahead, "let’s see how deep gets".

• WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can do about 5".

"Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • Rdp77Rdp77 Posts: 6,059 ✭✭✭✭✭

Show off

• peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,320 ✭✭✭✭✭

"The Meerapfels are tobacco growers who have long specialized in leaf from the West African nation of Cameroon, a wrapper prized for its rarity, flavor and distinctively toothy exterior. Richard Meerapfel, who died in 2003, is widely credited with saving Cameroon tobacco from the brink of extinction."

From a CA article about a new cigar announced by the Meerapfels. I never knew any African Cameroon to be toothy; it's always been smooth and delicate.

"I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • First_WarriorFirst_Warrior Posts: 3,140 ✭✭✭✭✭

Those who bury their head in the sand for whatever reason must realize that act of denial leaves their azz exposed.

@peter4jc said:
    "The Meerapfels are tobacco growers who have long specialized in leaf from the West African nation of Cameroon, a wrapper prized for its rarity, flavor and distinctively toothy exterior. Richard Meerapfel, who died in 2003, is widely credited with saving Cameroon tobacco from the brink of extinction."

From a CA article about a new cigar announced by the Meerapfels. I never knew any African Cameroon to be toothy; it's always been smooth and delicate.

I just read the article from the link Edward posted. It didn’t make sense to me either. When I think of a toothy wrapper Cameroon is one of the last that come to mind. Also the rarity mentioned. I’m sure Cameroon actually grown in Cameroon is rather rare, but they grow tobacco all over. It doesn’t say it’s a true Cameroon wrapper only that it’s Cameroon tobacco which is not at all rare.

• Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2022

@Rdp77 said:

@peter4jc said:

I just read the article from the link Edward posted. It didn’t make sense to me either. When I think of a toothy wrapper Cameroon is one of the last that come to mind. Also the rarity mentioned. I’m sure Cameroon actually grown in Cameroon is rather rare, but they grow tobacco all over. It doesn’t say it’s a true Cameroon wrapper only that it’s Cameroon tobacco which is not at all rare.

Well,... since the surge in popularity, (now decades ago) I'm certain that it's volume of cultivation in Africa, and anywhere else they can get it to grow, has exploded. So it ain't rare now is it? Doesn't seem like it to me either. At any rate, I'm a fan of the Cameroons.
    Toothy? Maybe under a magnifying glass? I dunno?

Well put sir! I’ll admit I take too many opportunities to be a smart a$$ when I can instead of deeper more intellectual posts. Both sides appear from time to time on vHerf though. You should join on some time. We’d all gladly welcome you into the group as we do here to talk about cigars and anything else that comes up.

• MrPossumMrPossum Posts: 503 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2022

@First_Warrior said:
    All individuals view life through their own personal prism. That prism is made of the sum total of their live's experiences. Everyones prism is different. I believe we spent too much time trying to convince others that the view from our prism is the only one that counts.

Agree completely, our opinions are our own, and tend to take priority, but without the opinions of others, how can we truly form new and exciting opinions, again, of our own. Life is about learning the truths of others, and passing on that information from our own experience and view points.

• YaksterYakster Posts: 25,530 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think I had deeper thoughts when I was younger, now that I'm getting to be an old fogey, I don't know if I have deep thoughts anymore. Just trying to get through the day and have a laugh and enjoy life every once in a while.

I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )

On a more thought provoking note, I was reminded of one my favorite sayings to handle life. “This too shall pass.” You think life has you down and beat? This too shall pass. Think you know it all and everything is perfect? This too shall pass. Time is your ally.

Now that isn’t to make lite of the bad times we go through or to brush off the good times. It’s meant to give hope though when times are bad and to make sure we cherish the good times while they are here.

• MrPossumMrPossum Posts: 503 ✭✭✭✭✭

You either get it or you don’t. All idleness does is guarantee you won’t.

• dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't get it, not idle, not my WTF

A little dirt never hurt
  • skydiverDskydiverD Posts: 2,713 ✭✭✭✭✭

What if C A T really spelled, dog?

How do you like my profile pic Taborski?   @matkn293          

Do dyslexic atheists not believe in dog?

• JrflicksterJrflickster Posts: 3,547 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dirtdude said:
    I don't get it, not idle, not my WTF

What he said

• Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭

Been doing a little catching up here, I've been pretty busy lately, not much time to spare. A conversation in another thread got me to thinking along these lines, and this seemed to be the most appropriate thread to post them in.

God.

It seems that nearly the entire history of Man is marked, maybe scarred, by folks from one religion telling folks from another religion that theirs is wrong, and that they can ONLY be right if they switch to whatever religious viewpoint is being touted as superior at the moment. This happens at all levels, from the overarching organization of religion right down to the barely different sects and offshoots. By Freedom of Religion, many people seem to assume that means that you're free to believe what they believe. The end.

I appreciate an idea that I picked up studying Islam, that God has been represented to Man in different ways appropriate to the culture of the recipients all throughout the existence of Mankind. Each culture viewing through its own lens and coloration of reality.

So, perhaps while your particular sectarian view may be appropriate for you, and true, for you, someone else may need another variation to be able to internalize and utilize the word of God.

I realize those statements open a lot of doors to endless conversations, so let me get to the point I'm trying to make. I believe in God, Creator of all. To say this, I must acknowledge to myself that the Creator of All is so far beyond my puny reasoning abilities that I can never possibly understand the astounding complexities involved.

This brings up two differing points of view, those who say they don't / can't believe in God because they can't imagine that someone or something created all this. Duh, it's incomprehensible. And those who think or believe that they're the ones who have the whole truth and nothing but the truth. Well, if it's incomprehensible, then your point of view is impossible.

So, in closing, I believe in God almighty, incomprehensible in entirety, and still I believe. Whatever path you take, whether Catholic, Protestant, Mormon, Jewish, Islam, Ebionite, and on and on, if that path is leading you to the God of light, love, creation, I will not criticize your choice, or say you're wrong. How could I?

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

the hardest thing to do (and the most important) is to let go of the rope.

This type of conversation I often avoid for many reasons that are my own. The area I live in is very deeply rooted in Christian beliefs and the subject comes up quite often in casual conversation.
    I once had a man that I didn’t know at the time tell me all the things I HAD to do to be saved, see heaven, etc. If I didn’t do these things I am bound for damnation. He had know idea what my beliefs are, how I lived my life, or how I felt regarding such things but he insisted on telling me what the ONLY way was. So I listened. When he was through I proposed a couple questions to him.
    If God created all creatures, then in turn did God not create all religions? Is a Buddhist monk that has never heard the name Jesus, spent his entire life in the service of others, never causing any harm in the world going to hell?
    I still see him from time to time in passing and have yet to receive an answer.

• ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 8,284 ✭✭✭✭✭

I believe........ I'll have another beer.

Trapped in the People's Communits Republic of Massachusetts.

• Hobbes86Hobbes86 Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭✭✭

Something to keep in mind is that the Christian Bible teaches that one must accept Jesus Christ as the son of God and believe in the resurrection of Jesus to be saved. So, naturally, if an individual does not believe those things, a Christian is not going to believe that individual is on the right path. It isn't just because they want to feel like they are the ones who are right or because they want to feel comfortable, generally speaking.

"Iron sharpens iron, and one man sharpens another." - Proverbs 27:17