Home Pipes

First Pipe

logan_042logan_042 Posts: 88 ✭✭✭✭
edited December 2020 in Pipes

I’ve recently gotten into cigars and am looking to expand into pipes. To that end I have a Missouri Meerschaum cob pipe on my way as my first pipe. Do these require any seasoning or care prior to use or can I pretty much fire it up straight away?

Comments

• logan_042logan_042 Posts: 88 ✭✭✭✭

The first two links wouldn’t load for me but the third had great information. Thank you!

• Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2020

You might also try looking at my thread in this section Pipe Tips for Cigar People, What We've Learned. It's on the same page as your thread, about 3/4 way down. Lot's of folks here have contributed to it, there's some information to be found there.

It's not the same as cigars. Different knowledge base.

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain

@Amos_Umwhat said:
    You might also try looking at my thread in this section Pipe Tips for Cigar People, What We've Learned. It's on the same page as your thread, about 3/4 way down. Lot's of folks here have contributed to it, there's some information to be found there.

It's not the same as cigars. Different knowledge base.

One of the first things I read. Definitely a good read with lots of information.

• YaksterYakster Posts: 25,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2020

Enjoy the journey, @logan_042, the first several smokes you may pick up a bit of a char note as you break in your cob but that goes away and it should smoke great after than.

I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )

So have you chosen some tobaccos to start with? Start small, read descriptions, and try a variety. As you go along, you'll find your tastes change over time. Also, the variety is MUCH greater than with cigars, and you'll find that one day you are in the mood for one thing, another day = another thing.

Your tamper is your friend, and the most important piece of equipment you'll have.

My guess is that were you to PM your address to some of us who frequent this section, you'll possibly receive some small samples of various blends.

Go ahead, do it, what could it hurt? B)

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain

@Amos_Umwhat I appreciate it but I don’t feel comfortable giving my address out.

How do you use the tamper? I smoked my first bowl tonight. Used the Frank method to pack the bowl and it took 3 lights with matches to light and two delights with a lighter. I also expected it to last longer. How soon can you pack another bowl and light it? I’m smoking out of a Missouri Meerschaum Legend if that makes a difference.

edited December 2020

After your first few puffs, you'll notice that it seems to be going out. It may or may not be, but as long as it's still lit, rest the tamper on top of the tobacco and take a couple puffs. I will take 2 or 3 this way, slightly repositioning the tamper each time. This makes the air intake travel through a smaller space. When the same amount of air travels through a smaller space, it has to speed up, thus causing the tobacco to burn at it's own temperature, rather than the 6 or 7 times as hot the lighter flame will be.

You'll find that the bowl lasts a lot longer this way, and you get a lot more of the tobacco flavor, which would be lost in the extreme heat of the flame. Most of us tend to use the tamper very nearly every puff. It takes awhile to get the feel for it, but is well worth it in the long run.

So, tell us what you're smoking?

I should add that as the tobacco smokes down, you'll lightly pack the ash down on to it. If you're having trouble about half way down, let it rest awhile, then gently scrape the white ash from the top, dump it, stir the tobacco, tamp gently, and relight.

If you watched the Frank Method video, you'll note that he tells you "I did not say use the tamper for packing the tobacco into the pipe". Follow that guys instructions.

If I forgot anything, @silvermouse , @Yakster , @NorCalR1 , or @Stubble should be able to straighten us out.

• jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2020

Cobs are great to learn on. I have about 200 briar pipes but my 2 cobs have been smoked the most. Very forgiving and not expensive if you abuse them like I do. I really clench and chew on the stems and I will smoke a few bowls out of them back to back which I would never do with a briar pipe. One is about to give out and will be replaced. Try different methods for packing and don't get discouraged. A pipe is worth the work and once you figure it out move onto trying different shapes and material like briar.

edited December 2020

Ooh, I forgot @jsnake was back. Much knowledge there.

Also, just checked the other thread and see you're into the cherry. As Jsnake pointed out, cherry tends to bite your tongue, burns hot. I've mixed Lane or Cpt Black cherry with Lane HGL, 50/50 and found that to be good for a cherry flavor without too much bite.

May I suggest some Captain Black Royal. Blue pouch. Smokes slower, cooler, and has a very pleasant room note.

@Amos_Umwhat thank you for the advise on tamping. I’m definitely looking for some tobacco recommendations as well thank you for those.

@jsnake definitely a learning curve compared to cigars.

• NorCalR1NorCalR1 Posts: 4,197 ✭✭✭✭✭

Definitely worth the learning curve.

If you want to bomb me send it to Tony @0patience :D
    If you are a newbie I got Dem nachos....

• StubbleStubble Posts: 8,177 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2020

Not sure if it has been mentioned, but dry the tobacco a bit longer than you think it needs. @jsnake said to sip. If you attempt to smoke a pipe like a cigar, you will hate life for a week. YMMV, experiment as you go. So many different types and cuts of pipe tobacco....

Hey, you gonna eat the rest of that corndog?

Back to the tamper, here's an example from this morning. I packed some Golden Days of Yore, a C&D Christmas blend, into my Stanwell Hans Christian Anderson pipe this morning. It's a light, flavorful blend that goes well with morning coffee.

During the course of that bowl, as I talked on the phone and did other things, there were several times when I picked the pipe up, puffed, and got no smoke. When I was a novice piper, I would have reached for the lighter and relit the pipe. Now, instead I reach for the tamper. Puff, puff, puff with the tamper and voila! I'm smoking again. No relight necessary.

That bowl lasted about 45 minutes. Different pipes, and different tobaccos each lend their own characteristics. It's been over 40 years since I smoked a cob, but there are several advantages other than price. One thing I remember is that you can smoke a cob with great regularity compared to briar. Briars need rest after a few bowls, or they'll develop a dank, musty taste until cleaned and rested. Meerschaum seems to resist the musty-ness, much like the cobs.

Thumb works too.

The flat side of my tamper works great too.

Yak, you need some cocoa butter, you're looking ashy.

You're right, delivered some Christmas presents to family yesterday while social distancing and the hand sanitizer was burning good.

• silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,046 ✭✭✭✭✭

Give your wife a massage with arnica massage oil. You don't have to tell her it is for your dry rough skin. :)

I tried the luxury twist flake and the 10 Russians. They still seem a lot more delicate in flavor than a cigar but maybe that’s normal. I quite liked the 10 Russians aftertaste and both seemed to have more nicotine content than the cherry blends I was smoking which gave a nice relaxing smoke. I think I’m going to try Five Brothers next and I’m curious about the Bengal slices as well.

On a side note the smell of the Five Russians reminds me of Laphroiag’s Scotch. Really smokey and petey.

If you liked the 10 Russians you'll like the Bengal Slices, maybe even better. Both age well.

If you liked the 10 Russians you'll like the Bengal Slices, maybe even better. Both age well.

• PuertoRicoShawnPuertoRicoShawn Posts: 347 ✭✭✭✭

This rabbit hole is calling my name. Do all the Cob pipes smoke the same? are there just cosmetic differences? is the bent vs straight merely cosmetic? Is there a go to starter tobacco?

When you’re finished changing, you’re finished. —Ben Franklin

edited January 2023

@PuertoRicoShawn said:
    Is the bent vs straight merely cosmetic?

Yes. Longer the shank, the more time the smoke has to cool, unless you're puffing hard.

@PuertoRicoShawn said:
    Do all the Cob pipes smoke the same?

No.

@PuertoRicoShawn said:
    Is there a go to starter tobacco?

I would start with a ribbon cut, then branch out. Stay away from real moist aromatic blends at first.

ETA: These are my humble thoughts....I'm still learning.

• PuertoRicoShawnPuertoRicoShawn Posts: 347 ✭✭✭✭

@Stubble said:

@PuertoRicoShawn said:
    Is the bent vs straight merely cosmetic?

Yes. Longer the shank, the more time the smoke has to cool, unless you're puffing hard.

@PuertoRicoShawn said:
    Do all the Cob pipes smoke the same?

No.

@PuertoRicoShawn said:
    Is there a go to starter tobacco?

I would start with a ribbon cut, then branch out. Stay away from real moist aromatic blends at first.

Thanks. Is Cooler better? does it concentrate the flavor when it cools? Seems like it would.

When you’re finished changing, you’re finished. —Ben Franklin

edited January 2023

Too hot will burn your tounge, palate, and make you hate life for several days. Been there, done that. @Amos_Umwhat has a calabash gourd he can tell you about the cooling effect of smoke.