Home Pipes

First Pipe

Comments

• PuertoRicoShawnPuertoRicoShawn Posts: 347 ✭✭✭✭

This a good starter then?
    Missouri Meerschaum - Country Gentleman Corn Cob Tobacco Pipe - Straight Bit https://a.co/d/auQDP2O

When you’re finished changing, you’re finished. —Ben Franklin

• NorCalR1NorCalR1 Posts: 4,197 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Stubble said:

@PuertoRicoShawn said:
    Is the bent vs straight merely cosmetic?

Yes. Longer the shank, the more time the smoke has to cool, unless you're puffing hard.

@PuertoRicoShawn said:
    Do all the Cob pipes smoke the same?

No.

@PuertoRicoShawn said:
    Is there a go to starter tobacco?

I would start with a ribbon cut, then branch out. Stay away from real moist aromatic blends at first.

ETA: These are my humble thoughts....I'm still learning.

@PuertoRicoShawn - @Stubble is being extremely humble he is the one of the masters of pipe smoking on this forum. A true Jedi when it comes to this rabbit hole..

If you want to bomb me send it to Tony @0patience :D
    If you are a newbie I got Dem nachos....

• StubbleStubble Posts: 8,177 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PuertoRicoShawn said:
    This a good starter then?
    Missouri Meerschaum - Country Gentleman Corn Cob Tobacco Pipe - Straight Bit https://a.co/d/auQDP2O

That will give you a large bowl, could be harder to clench. But yes IMHO, a good starter.

@NorCalR1 said:

@Stubble said:

@PuertoRicoShawn said:
    Is the bent vs straight merely cosmetic?

Yes. Longer the shank, the more time the smoke has to cool, unless you're puffing hard.

@PuertoRicoShawn said:
    Do all the Cob pipes smoke the same?

No.

@PuertoRicoShawn said:
    Is there a go to starter tobacco?

I would start with a ribbon cut, then branch out. Stay away from real moist aromatic blends at first.

ETA: These are my humble thoughts....I'm still learning.

@PuertoRicoShawn - @Stubble is being extremely humble he is the one of the masters of pipe smoking on this forum. A true Jedi when it comes to this rabbit hole..

Not...

Hey, you gonna eat the rest of that corndog?
  • YaksterYakster Posts: 25,527 ✭✭✭✭✭

That one takes a 6 mm filter which you may or may not prefer. I haven't tried a filter before, I've heard that it can reduce the flavor quite a bit, though. You might check on Smoking Pipes or Tobacco Pipes and pick up some starter tobacco at the same time.

https://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/Missourimeerschaum/

https://www.tobaccopipes.com/missouri-meerschaum/

I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )

@Yakster said:
    That one takes a 6 mm filter which you may or may not prefer. I haven't tried a filter before, I've heard that it can reduce the flavor quite a bit, though. You might check on Smoking Pipes or Tobacco Pipes and pick up some starter tobacco at the same time.

https://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/Missourimeerschaum/

https://www.tobaccopipes.com/missouri-meerschaum/

Will look. I have issues with companies shipping to me. They don't know that Puerto Rico is the US and costs the exact same visa USPS.

• Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2023

That calabash provides a magnificent experience of the tobacco. It is a p.i.t.a. to take care of, especially cleaning the crook of the gourd.

Some things to remember, pipe smoking is different, and much more widely varied than cigars. It requires patience, and a lifelong learning curve. However, you can find decent pipes for around $50, and smoke all week for the price of a good cigar. It takes time to figure out what you like, though, and to learn how to do it right. It's very easy to become discouraged if you think it's just light and puff.

I'll see if my Pipe Smoking for Cigar Smokers thread still exists and bump it up for you, Shawn. Lots of folks contributed.

Oh, and don't let Stubble fool you. He and @silvermouse are the true pipe-masters here. And @Yakster . There's others, too.

I should add, just because a pipe takes a filter doesn't mean you have to use one. I have a number of filter pipes, and never put filters in them. I find that the filter is good for about one bowl, after that it just adds rancid taste. So, I think of the filter cavity as a cooling chamber.

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,046 ✭✭✭✭✭

lots of pipe cleaners

@Amos_Umwhat said:
    That calabash provides a magnificent experience of the tobacco. It is a p.i.t.a. to take care of, especially cleaning the crook of the gourd.

Some things to remember, pipe smoking is different, and much more widely varied than cigars. It requires patience, and a lifelong learning curve. However, you can find decent pipes for around $50, and smoke all week for the price of a good cigar. It takes time to figure out what you like, though, and to learn how to do it right. It's very easy to become discouraged if you think it's just light and puff.

I'll see if my Pipe Smoking for Cigar Smokers thread still exists and bump it up for you, Shawn. Lots of folks contributed.

Oh, and don't let Stubble fool you. He and @silvermouse are the true pipe-masters here. And @Yakster . There's others, too.

I should add, just because a pipe takes a filter doesn't mean you have to use one. I have a number of filter pipes, and never put filters in them. I find that the filter is good for about one bowl, after that it just adds rancid taste. So, I think of the filter cavity as a cooling chamber.

Interesting point on the chamber. Does the filter area accumulate alot of build up?

I fold and roll up 1/4 paper towel sheet. Cleans it right out. Or, you can use lots of pipe cleaners

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,046 ✭✭✭✭✭

well, it's cheap but you would be better off buying a real briar pipe. Estate pipes, used but cleaned up and decent condition, is the way to go for starts. You'll be much happier with one. PM your address and I will send you one. As for the accessories they are also not necessary and at that price I can guarantee they are of poor quality. The reamer is something you'll use maybe once every few months, once a year more likely. I have an extra combo tamper/scraper/poker that I can send if you want the pipe. Let me know if you are not averse to an estate pipe and mention if you want a straight or bent pipe.

Messages have been sent. including additional questions! lol

are all pipe cleaners created equal?

@PuertoRicoShawn said:
    are all pipe cleaners created equal?

no

But most of them will do, most of the time

I'm fond of B. J. Long pipe cleaners, usually get the tapered.

excellent thanks I will look into those.

Can you preload a pipe? I tried a search but maybe I used the wrong words. For instance, I have a few minutes in the morning and decide to load one up so I can get home and it awaits.

• Rdp77Rdp77 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, pipe tobacco tends to need a little time to dry before smoking anyway. The only problem you may have with leaving it in the pipe all day is what is called “ghosting”. Pipes have a porous surface. They can absorb flavorings from tobaccos. Certain tobaccos have stronger flavorings so they can be more of a problem. I’d advise setting some tobacco out in a small bowl or other container. It only takes a few seconds to pack it into a bowl to smoke.

@Rdp77 said:
    Yes, pipe tobacco tends to need a little time to dry before smoking anyway. The only problem you may have with leaving it in the pipe all day is what is called “ghosting”. Pipes have a porous surface. They can absorb flavorings from tobaccos. Certain tobaccos have stronger flavorings so they can be more of a problem. I’d advise setting some tobacco out in a small bowl or other container. It only takes a few seconds to pack it into a bowl to smoke.

This makes sense. Thanks.

• YaksterYakster Posts: 25,527 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some people practice the DGT, delayed gratification technique, where they pack a bowl and give it a charring light and then leave it to enjoy later. They feel that it smokes better this way and they can prepare the bowl ahead of time. I'm not much for this method, but if I don't finish a bowl I'll just save it for later and it's usually good later.

I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )

@Yakster said:
    Some people practice the DGT, delayed gratification technique, where they pack a bowl and give it a charring light and then leave it to enjoy later. They feel that it smokes better this way and they can prepare the bowl ahead of time. I'm not much for this method, but if I don't finish a bowl I'll just save it for later and it's usually good later.

This seems terrible to me from a cigar background lol

@PuertoRicoShawn said:

@Yakster said:

You're comparing a watermelon to a cherry. Both are great, just don't expect them to taste or behave the same.

@PuertoRicoShawn said:

@Yakster said:

Yeah, it seems counterintuitive. But, I do it all the time. One of the great things about pipes, you're not committed to smoking the whole thing all at once. A little at a time is OK if you follow the rules.

@Amos_Umwhat said:

@PuertoRicoShawn said:

@Yakster said:

Yeah, it seems counterintuitive. But, I do it all the time. One of the great things about pipes, you're not committed to smoking the whole thing all at once. A little at a time is OK if you follow the rules.

Is there a rules post?

@PuertoRicoShawn said:

@Amos_Umwhat said:

@PuertoRicoShawn said:

@Yakster said:

Is there a rules post?

Thinking the same thing...Oh sheet, we got rules? LOL!

@Stubble said:

@PuertoRicoShawn said:

@Amos_Umwhat said:

@PuertoRicoShawn said:

@Yakster said:

Is there a rules post?

Thinking the same thing...Oh sheet, we got rules? LOL!

exactly

edited January 2023

Don't char the rim.

Don't stir the tocacco after you have been smoking and tamping. (Trust me on this one)

Never use a torch lighter.

Don't remove the stem while the pipe is hot.

Clean your smoking pipes often.

Don't draw the pipe like a cigar.

Drying some tobacco has benifits.

Don't hold the pipe by it's stem and "knock" the ash out.

There is no shame in having to re-light the pipe.

@Stubble said:
    Don't char the rim.

Don't stir the tocacco after you have been smoking and tamping. (Trust me on this one)

Never use a torch lighter.

Don't remove the stem while the pipe is hot.

Clean your smoking pipes often.

Don't draw the pipe like a cigar.

Drying some tobacco has benifits.

Don't hold the pipe by it's stem and "knock" the ash out.

All of this makes sense but how does one draw?

More like sipping a drink as compared to taking a gulp

Y'all jump in and please correct me if I'm wrong.

@Stubble said:
    Y'all jump in and please correct me if I'm wrong.

You ain’t wrong as far as I know. But I do still stir mine occasionally…shows what I know lol.