Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Coffee

Comments

• Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 25,877 ✭✭✭✭✭

Will do, Edward. I know another Edward that may have a connection, not to coffee but the Philippines if the New Orleans connection falls through, but I'm hopeful. I may need to pick up more than just a couple pounds to be able to nail the roast.

It was interesting to hear that Liberica plants are used as berry borer bait because they are so sweet, Brocca Hotels, planted at the edge of the coffee farms to attract the insects and then burned. They are also said to be the preferred coffee of the wild civet cat where Cafe Luwak comes from.

https://perfectdailygrind.com/2021/05/what-is-excelsa-coffee/

Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options
    silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,330 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting. Trap crops are probably the least polluting form of insect control, other than predators. I used to have a problem with flea beetles chewing up my tomato leaves. One spring, well before it was time to plant the tomatoes, some arugula that had self seeded from the previous fall came up and was filled with flea beetles. A heavy dusting of diatomaceous earth wiped them out, never to return.

• Options

Yeah, we buy diatomaceous earth in bulk.

• Options
    edited January 2023

We were talking about how precise people are when they brew coffee on the vHerf so I snapped this picture prior to brewing a small batch of the Sumatra Super Queen Ketiara I roasted on Sunday and brewed as a second pot today to split with my Son. I weigh out the beans on a scale and try to get within half a gram or so of my target weight (33.3 grams for a small pot and 60 grams for a large pot) and then I fill my water container (Hario coffee server) to a line representing 500 ml (or all the way up for a normal 900 ml batch) when making coffee. This is a 1:15 ratio of coffee to water that makes a good cup with good strength, many cafes use this ratio. I then brew it in my automated Behmor Brazen coffee brewer in the background. You can see a Kalita Wave filter holder hanging up next to it which I'll use for single cups. I broke my glass one so now I use a metal one.

The line and the markings for the recipe on the pot are for my Son to brew coffee when I'm not home. He usually just counts scoops of coffee and doesn't weigh the beans.

I'm enjoying the cup of Sumatra with C&D Folklore in my pipe. The coffee has background notes if hibiscus (cranberry) and straw right now, I'm hoping the coffee develops a bit more in flavor in the coming days and the tobacco has some rough edges but is enjoyable, but I still don't think I'm going to buy the pound brick this year.

• Options
    ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 8,469 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can't help but think of a mad scientist in his lab.

Trapped in the People's Communits Republic of Massachusetts.

• Options
    IndustMechIndustMech Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ShawnOL said:
    I can't help but think of a mad scientist in his lab.

Not mad, angry. He's angry because people keep calling him MAD!

I know, You're a big dog and I'm on the list.
    Let's eat, GrandMa.  /  Let's eat GrandMa.  --  Punctuation saves lives

It'll be fine once the swelling goes down.

• Options

I put milk in my coffee even though black coffee drinkers think that is something only a prolateriat would do. I feel vindicated:

https://www.newswise.com/articles/coffee-with-milk-may-have-an-anti-inflammatory-effect/?article_id=785999

• Options

I put boogers in my coffee for the health benefits, I don't care what you put in your coffee. :D

https://www.healthshots.com/preventive-care/self-care/what-are-the-benefits-of-boogers-and-how-should-you-remove-them/

• Options
    peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,496 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think putting milk, or preferably .5&.5, is a great thing to do.

"I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Options
    cbuckcbuck Posts: 8,459 ✭✭✭✭✭

Skim for me! .5 & .5 to heavy for me! Espresso is black, no sugar.

• Options
  • Options

Thanks for the heads up, I haven't heard anything from New Orleans Coffee Imports but reached out to them for an update.

• Options

I got a call this morning from Kellan at New Orleans Coffee Imports and my coffee will be shipped soon.

• Options

Chris, because they are large beans should I roast them with a longer drying ramp or lower heat? @Yakster

• Options
    edited February 2023

I'm not sure, I understand that they roast differently and Kellan offered to email me some info on this. I'll share whatever I get and I'll be going back and researching roast strategies on Liberica when I get the coffee. Do you have the coffee already?

• Options

Thanks!

• Options
    edited February 2023

https://youtu.be/gC8K40kZ_6E

Insane new brew method, first part percolation followed by a softening immersion. You could adapt this to a clever dripper, I may try it with my December dripper.

You may want to watch the video at 1.5X speed.

• Options

So I gave it a go with my December Dripper today and my 1/22 roast of the Ecuador Finca Terrazas del Pisque coffee and I enjoyed the result, strong, sweet flavors.

First I had to find my December Dripper, change the battery of my Thermopop thermometer, change the water bottle on my water dispenser and get ready. The water out of the hot water tap is around 70 C so I used that for the second phase from a separate container and used my stovetop kettle right off the boil for the first phase. I used 50 grams on the first pour to emphasize sweetness instead of 60 and my timings were off because this was the first run though running across the kitchen to get the water for the second phase, but it came out good. I'll probably do this again.

• Options

@IndustMech here's my notes on the method.

• 20 g finely ground coffee
    • 280 g hot water
    • December Dripper
    • Coffee Server
    1. Pre-heat dripper & filter, drain
    2. 0.00" 60g 93 C
    3. 0:30" 120g 93 C Water
    4. Cool brew water to 70 C
    5. Close December Dripper Valve
    6. 1:15" 280g 70 C
    7. 1:45" Open to drain
    8. 3:00" Finish

Pull away filter cone if it's not done, add water to the coffee if it did not drain completely

In the pour-over phase in step 2you can decrease the first pour volume to 50g for more sweetness or increase it to 70g for more acidity

• Options

Thanks for the notes, that is easier for me to understand. Did you find it to be worthwhile compared to just tossing everything into the Brazen and letting it do its thing? What about better than following the same procedure with a French press?

• Options
    ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 8,469 ✭✭✭✭✭

Like I said. A mad scientist. :)

Trapped in the People's Communits Republic of Massachusetts.

• Options

It's a stronger recipe which probably changed things, but it did seem to be an improvement over the Brazen. Not sure how you would manage percolation in a French press, your need a pour over for at least the first part, maybe you could throw the grounds in a French press for the second phase but that sounds messy.

• Options
    edited February 2023

My order of Liberica arrived today. Pointed end as expected but instead of large beans they are just the opposite -- smaller than many of the peaberries I've roasted. Going to do an exploratory roast today.

• Options
    edited February 2023

Hmm, let me know how they turn out. I should be getting my order today too and will probably roast tomorrow morning.

• Options

I hope the small beans aren't an issue for your roaster, Edward.

• Options
    edited February 2023

I got my coffee this morning too. Some of the Liberica coffee looks as small as Mokka coffee, hopefully not too small for your drum, Edward. I measured out 100 grams of each coffee in ramekins, the Liberica is denser. I didn't pick up much aroma from either green coffee. They came in nice Grain Pro bags.

• Options
    edited February 2023

ramekins ;)

• Options
    edited February 2023

the drum is fine screened, only a few broken beans made it out, The beans were not screened, roasted somewhat unevenly. As expected there was some tipping on the pointed ends. Doesn't look like they did much sorting either, some quakers. Going to be a wild brew I'm guessing. I went for a light city roast (just a 30 second development time at the end of 1st crack) per the recommendation on one of the sites I read, 14% reduction. Next time I will roast with a longer ramp time to 1st crack. length 5/16 to 1/2 inch.

• Options
    edited February 2023

I roasted up three batches of coffee this morning, starting with the Liberica followed by Ecuador Finca Terrazas del Pisque and finishing with the crowd pleasing Ethiopia Dry Process Buno Dambi Uddo.

The Liberica was a real challenge, I'm glad I increased my order from 2 pounds to 5 pounds so I'll have more chances to try dialing in this coffee. The prep on this coffee from the Philippians is not the best, it doesn't look like they did any grading for size and there's pieces of pulp and defective green coffee in the bag. I culled about 13 grams of green coffee to make a 600 gram batch.

The green coffee (defects shown below) is tan-yellow already making it hard to mark full yellow as a roasting milestone. Not only that, but the beans are small and dense and I either missed hearing first crack completely or it started at a much higher temperature than I'm used to on my Bullet. My Bullet uses an Infra-Red bean temp sensor and my first crack temps are normally VERY consistent around 211 C independent of batch size, so much so that I can use the been temp on Arabica coffee to mark first crack, I marked first crack from audio cues on this Liberica coffee and it was at 223 C at 10 minutes. I took it past first crack until I started to smell something good in the beans. The green coffee didn't have much of a smell and I didn't get much from the roast until I dropped the coffee. By the time I dropped the coffee the garage had filled with a lot of smoke, leading me to think I might have been in second crack by then, but the weight loss was only 15.2%. My ROR (Rate of Rise) was low at what I marked as first crack which could have contributed to an anemic real first crack where I may not have heard it.

I'm interested to try this coffee out. Next time I may try a smaller batch.