Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Political Discussions

Comments

• Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

I see today that Chucky Schumer desires the replacement of Netanyahu's government. I hate when this happens. Look at all that's come from our interference in Iran's democratic elections decades ago.

Maybe we should let other countries have the democracy we claim to espouse here.

Just a thought.

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,561 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Amos_Umwhat said:

Maybe we should let other countries have the democracy we claim to espouse here.

Only if they behave, and follow our orders...

"I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Options

Moving this topic from the other thread...

No triggering on my part... I just think it was super lame of Biden or whoever is pulling his strings to select Easter Sunday as the day to declare whatever day that was that they made up.

I understand Easter Sunday will fall on a different day next year, as will the Trans Visibility Day (if that's what it's called - I'm too lazy to look it up). It shows a lack of regard for the people who celebrate Easter, and also those who don't celebrate the day as a Christian holiday but prefer that some things just be left alone. I'm certain it was a calculated move to garner support for the Left's agenda and help Biden get re-elected. I just think it'll backfire and alienate more people than it will help do what 'they' wanted it to do.

• Options
    edited April 1

Back when people with "other" desires simply wanted to be left alone I felt quite supportive. What do I care? Doesn't affect me. They shouldn't be persecuted, especially not by any public / governmental agenda.

Once the demands to (metaphorically) salute the Rainbow Battle Flag started, well, they lost me.

Of all life's mysteries, here's one that we were given an undeniable answer to.

And then, even in church, I'm told "But, God made them that way".

No. God the Father Almighty, creator of heaven and earth, is not a bungling bumbling fool who goes around putting people "in the wrong body". That's not acceptable.

Perhaps the god of these people does, but I don't accept their stumble-bum god who doesn't even have enough sense to know man from woman. That's a third rate low rent god you've got there. Not the same being, at all.

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options

@CalvinAndHobo said:

Let's say that my friend had a relative who had schizophrenia. If this friend pulled me aside before meeting their relative and asked me to call that person King George, even though their name was Jason, because they'll freak out if I call them Jason, then I'd absolutely call them King George if it brings them any measure of mental stability. I've got absolutely no issue with that, even though it's pretty obvious this person isn't a king from the middle ages, and I'd feel a little stupid referring to them like that.

>

This brings back a memory. Once while visiting someone being evaluated at a state mental facility, as I entered the hall she said "Uh oh, this guy can be a problem". One of the patients came running toward us, did a forward flip, landed in a karate pose, and loudly announced "I AM THE KING OF THE WORLD!!!"

I bowed, then looked him in the eye and responded "It is a great privilege to be here and meet you today Your Majesty".

All was well.

• Options

Sorta like Mortimer Brewster a.k.a. Teddy Roosebelt. Chaaaaarge!!!!
    Arsenic and Old Lace's "Teddy Roosevelt" » BAMF Style

• Options
    VisionVision Posts: 7,822 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 3

@peter4jc said:
    Moving this topic from the other thread...

No triggering on my part... I just think it was super lame of Biden or whoever is pulling his strings to select Easter Sunday as the day to declare whatever day that was that they made up.

I understand Easter Sunday will fall on a different day next year, as will the Trans Visibility Day (if that's what it's called - I'm too lazy to look it up). It shows a lack of regard for the people who celebrate Easter, and also those who don't celebrate the day as a Christian holiday but prefer that some things just be left alone. I'm certain it was a calculated move to garner support for the Left's agenda and help Biden get re-elected. I just think it'll backfire and alienate more people than it will help do what 'they' wanted it to do. (Per Wiki)

International Transgender Day of Visibility (often referred to as TDOV or Trans Day of Visibility) is an annual event occurring every March 31 since 2009[1][2] dedicated to celebrating transgender people and raising awareness of discrimination faced by transgender people worldwide, as well as a celebration of their contributions to society. The first International Transgender Day of Visibility was held on March 31, 2009. It has since been spearheaded by the U.S.-based youth advocacy organization

So a day created in 2009 was so far forward thinking as to fall on Easter to get Biden elected? I'm confused, genuinely. It's been on the 31st of March for 15 years. March 31st is also.....

Anesthesia Tech Day
    Cesar Chavez Day - March 31, 2024 (Usually on March 31st)
    Dance Marathon Day
    Easter Sunday - March 31, 2024
    Eiffel Tower Day
    International Hug a Medievalist Day
    International Transgender Day of Visibility
    National Baked Ham with Pineapple Day - March 31, 2024 (Same Day as Easter)
    National Bunsen Burner Day
    National Clams on the Half Shell Day
    National Crayon Day
    National Farm Workers Day
    National Prom Day
    National She's Funny That Way
    Tater Day
    Transfer Day - (U.S. Virgin Islands)
    World Backup Day

• Options
    11thGenSoutherner11thGenSoutherner Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 3

@Vision “International Hug a Medievalist Day” looks like fun. Except for the hugging part

• Options

@11thGenSoutherner said:
    @Vision “International Hug a Medievalist Day” looks like fun. Except for the hugging part

I told the wife that the 31st is Eiffel Tower Day..... next year we're going to try it.

• Options
    11thGenSoutherner11thGenSoutherner Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Vision said:

@11thGenSoutherner said:

I told the wife that the 31st is Eiffel Tower Day..... next year we're going to try it.

Have fun being the base ;)

• Options
    silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,418 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm for them all especially National Clams on the Half Shell Day. I have an autistic TG employee so am sympathetic to that issue. People deserve respect.

• Options
    PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,765 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Vision said:

@11thGenSoutherner said:

Are you excepting applications for the third participant in next year’s Eiffel Tower day? If so, do I send it to you or your wife? Thank you for your consideration.

"We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
  • Options
    d_bladesd_blades Posts: 3,755 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Patrickbrick said:

@Vision said:

@11thGenSoutherner said:

Are you accepting applications for the third participant in next year’s Eiffel Tower day? If so, do I send it to you or your wife? Thank you for your consideration.

fify

Don't let the wife know what you spend on guns, ammo or cigars.

• Options

@Vision said:
    So a day created in 2009 was so far forward thinking as to fall on Easter to get Biden elected? I'm confused, genuinely. It's been on the 31st of March for 15 years. March 31st is also.....

Thank you for pointing that out, Pete.

Just don't say you're confused.

• Options

@peter4jc said:

@Vision said:

Thank you for pointing that out, Pete.

Just don't say you're confused.

I honestly was. I didn't want to say it but I thought "there is no way Peter didn't throw a quick Google at this". Honestly

• Options

You're right, it should have been researched before posting.

This is what threw me off, since it made it sound like it was happening for the first time;

NOW, THEREFORE, I, JOSEPH R. BIDEN JR., President of the United States of America, by virtue of the authority vested in me by the Constitution and the laws of the United States, do hereby proclaim March 31, 2024, as Transgender Day of Visibility. I call upon all Americans to join us in lifting up the lives and voices of transgender people throughout our Nation and to work toward eliminating violence and discrimination based on gender identity.

• Options
    dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭✭✭

Then I saw he denied doing it. Politics will make your head spin.

A little dirt never hurt
  • Options
    silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,418 ✭✭✭✭✭

“We are going to put on the armor of God. Then maybe strap on a glock on the side of us, just in case,” Republican Senate candidate Kari Lake said to a round of applause at an Arizona rally. Getty Images
    © Provided by Forbes

• Options
    edited April 17

From William Barclays Bible series, Matthew Volume 2, Jesus is trying to get the apostles to understand that the warrior Messiah they've been expecting is not what they expected:

" 'The Scribes', he said, 'say that Elijah will come like a blast of cleansing and avenging fire. He has come; [refers to John the Baptist] but his way was the way of suffering and sacrifice, as must also be the way of the Son of Man.' Jesus has laid it down that the way of God's service is never the way which blasts men out of existence, but always the way which woos them with sacrificial love."

And still we don't understand. Our leaders are as the apostles were, holding close a vision of glory and victory which honors themselves and their misguided beliefs.

Post edited by Amos_Umwhat on

• Options

Great post, Steve.

As one who understands just a bit of Christ as the core of Christianity and Truth, there probably isn't much that will disturb me as the way Christ is misunderstood and misrepresented in the world at large.

• Options
    ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 8,557 ✭✭✭✭✭

Even by some who consider themselves to be good Christians.

Trapped in the People's Communits Republic of Massachusetts.

• Options
    genareddoggenareddog Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭✭✭

@silvermouse said:
    And here we are

So true and sad!