Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Political Discussions

Comments

• Options
    VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 17,073 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Usaf06 said:

@BullSquatch said:
    This is my least favorite of all the discussion topics....politics is such a waste of time...creates too much division.... hot off the press...we live.. we die.. and all go in a box.... enjoy the show while you can, find Jesus while you can, enjoy your loved ones while you can.. and smoke as many cigars as humanly possible in between...

I dont know, making fun of liberals still makes for some good fun..............jk. Its a joke Francis, lighten up.

Disclaimer:  All trolling is provided for the sole entertainment purposes of the author only. Readers may find entertainment and hard core truths, but none are intended. Any resulting damaged feelings or arse chapping of the reader are the sole responsibility of the reader, to include, but not limited to: crying, anger, revenge pørn, and abandonment or deletion of ccom accounts. Offer void in Utah because Utah is terrible.
  • Options
    TRayBTRayB Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 4

@Usaf06 said:
    You think that this country was founded on slavery?

Any thinking person understands the country wasn't founded ON slavery, but WITH slavery, and there's a huge difference. However, it would have been better if the Founders, who, almost to a man disliked (and even hated) chattel slavery, had decided in 1787 to either do away with slavery outright, or set it on course for gradual but determined extinction, rather than place it to the side with the hope that it would go away on its own. The country suffered greatly from their decision.

• Options
    VisionVision Posts: 7,861 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Bob_Luken said:

@Vision said:

@Usaf06 said:

🥸🙄 oh boy..... I think Joker said it best..... "Why so serious"

That must be a Southern Meme.

• Options

@Amos_Umwhat said:

This is how some people today seem to take the saying "pick your battles":

Pretend a long dead subject is still relevant, and that others are supporting the wrong side of history.

You win every time.

It just feels SO good to be right.

Do you have a Poking the Bear Meme? I'm fresh out of timely placed and witty memes.....

• Options
    11thGenSoutherner11thGenSoutherner Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Vision said:

@Bob_Luken said:

@Vision said:

@Usaf06 said:

🥸🙄 oh boy..... I think Joker said it best..... "Why so serious"

That must be a Southern Meme.

• Options
    ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 8,707 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 4

In a time when just about every country on earth had slavery, don't you think it a little unfair to expect our founding fathers to be the one country to abolish a practice in place the world over? Slavery is horrific but we were the first country to abolish it. Considering some countries still have slavery, isn't it a little unreasonable to expect these people to have abolished it then? We were trying to build a more perfect government. Everything takes time.

Trapped in the People's Communits Republic of Massachusetts.

• Options

@TRayB said:

@Usaf06 said:

Any thinking person understands the country wasn't founded ON slavery, but WITH slavery, and there's a huge difference. However, it would have been better if the Founders, who, almost to a man disliked (and even hated) chattel slavery, had decided in 1787 to either do away with slavery outright, or set it on course for gradual but determined extinction, rather than place it to the side with the hope that it would go away on its own. The country suffered greatly from their decision.

17 of the signers were enslavers I believe.

• Options
    edited February 4

@Vision said:

@TRayB said:

@Usaf06 said:

True, but if you read about their debates during the Constitutional Convention, and their private correspondences, you'll find that most, if not all, understood the dichotomy of the practice versus the ideals presented in the Declaration of Independence. And most believed it to be incompatible with the Liberty they had espoused and signed on to in 1776. They were just unable (perhaps even unwilling) to do the work of eliminating it, under fear of the dissolution of the system they had started, and were trying to improve, with the new Constitution.
    It wasn't until decades later (in the 1820s) when some Southern politicians began to promote slavery as an "essential good". The original Founders (even Southerners) did not say that. Some may have thought or believed it was essential to their immediate way of life and means of supporting themselves and their constituents, but still understood the incompatibility with true Freedom and Liberty. Was it hypocrisy? Yes, very much so. Was it a quandary? Yes, also very much so. Should they have done away with it? Absolutely. Was it better to form the Union with slavery, or dissolve the Union into separate States? No, otherwise Freedom would have died on the vine.

Post edited by TRayB on
  • Options

@ShawnOL said:
    In a time when just about every country on earth had slavery, don't you think it a little unfair to expect our founding fathers to be the one country to abolish a practice in place the world over? Slavery is horrific but we were the first country to abolish it. Considering some countries still have slavery, isn't it a little unreasonable to expect these people to have abolished it then? We were trying to build a more perfect government. Everything takes time.

Great Britain outlawed slavery well before the United States did, 1807 I believe, as opposed to 1865. G.B. also outlawed it democratically, without a disastrous war.

Having said that, slavery existed in the U.S. (as opposed to America and the colonies, who were part of G.B.) for less than 90 years, and all of those years it was an extremely contentious issue. In G.B. slavery and government-supported slave trade, were in place for centuries. That the U.S. eliminated it so quickly (by comparison with other countries, especially G.B.) is a testament to the belief that slavery was incompatible with Liberty.

• Options

@Stubble said:

@Vision said:

@Amos_Umwhat said:

Pretend a long dead subject is still relevant, and that others are supporting the wrong side of history.

You win every time.

Do you have a Poking the Bear Meme? I'm fresh out of timely placed and witty memes.....

Jeeze, gots to do everything for you people.

It's right in your wheelhouse!

• Options

@Stubble said:

@Vision said:

@Amos_Umwhat said:

You win every time.

Jeeze, gots to do everything for you people.

Thank you!!

• Options
    JrflicksterJrflickster Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,215 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 4

@Vision said:

@Amos_Umwhat said:

T

I googled Poking Bears. I didn't want to rule out anything that might apply.

• Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,544 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 4

@Vision said:

So, you do realize that they were born into that society and social position? It wasn't a choice they made, right?

Or, are you one of the many children today who seem to believe that slavery was invented by Thomas Jefferson?

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    OutdoorsSmoke_21191OutdoorsSmoke_21191 Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’m not 100% sure but check the Book of Deuteronomy

A good cigar and whiskey solve most problems.

• Options
    edited February 5

@Amos_Umwhat said:

@Vision said:

So, you do realize that they were born into that society and social position? It wasn't a choice they made, right?

Or, are you one of the many children today who seem to believe that slavery was invented by Thomas Jefferson?

So being born into it.....makes it right.... got it. We know where you stand now. It's ok to own slaves if your parents bought them for you. All my son got was a PS5......

An ad hominem attack is the last ditch effort of a man with no argument.

You win!!🥇

Edit : Grammar

• Options
    edited February 5

Really? You think that I am saying it’s “right “?

You have effectively answered the questions.

You’re right, you’re truly lost.

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options

@Amos_Umwhat said:
    Really? You think that I am saying it’s “right “?

You have effectively answered the questions.

You’re right, you’re truly lost.

I have a non-conforming thought so therefore you shall disparage me over the internet using witty memes to win this argument. Facts will be left at the door! No sir. It is you that have won but I feel as if somehow we may have all lost....😞

PS. If you use an emoji it really puts exclamation point on the responses ❗️

• Options

Oh you stop it! Those who know me are just shaking their head knowing I haven't been serious since the time the doctor slapped me on my asss. He's still recovering....

• Options
    Usaf06Usaf06 Posts: 11,095 ✭✭✭✭✭

"I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

"LET'S GO FRANCIS"     Peter

• Options

@Amos_Umwhat said:

@Vision said:

I was born into Roe v Wade....lifetime exemption for my family in Texas?

Disclaimer:  All trolling is provided for the sole entertainment purposes of the author only. Readers may find entertainment and hard core truths, but none are intended. Any resulting damaged feelings or arse chapping of the reader are the sole responsibility of the reader, to include, but not limited to: crying, anger, revenge pørn, and abandonment or deletion of ccom accounts. Offer void in Utah because Utah is terrible.
  • Options
    edited February 5

@VegasFrank said:

@Amos_Umwhat said:

@Vision said:

I was born into Roe v Wade....lifetime exemption for my family in Texas?

As with Slavery, the laws do change, but you may be forgiven for your personal beliefs if that was what you were taught was right.

• Options

BTW, Frank, does your wife know you have a family in Texas? Retroactive abortions are frowned upon and prohibited and won’t solve the problem.

• Options

Just kidding, inspired by some of the “logic “ I’ve seen recently.

• Options

Now I'm 😡😡😡😡😡

Or that was 😆😆😆 😆 😆

😑

• Options

@Amos_Umwhat said:
    BTW, Frank, does your wife know you have a family in Texas? Retroactive abortions are frowned upon and prohibited and won’t solve the problem.

Both