Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Political Discussions

Comments

• Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting article in The Atlantic on Apple News, a bit of perspective regarding Hamas' intentions. The author believes that Hamas and Iran are hoping for a full scale response from Israel which will create a situation in which Israel loses the sympathy it is now receiving from most of the rest of the world.

Kind of reminds me of 9/11, where instead of focusing on those who attacked us we decided to invade Iraq, which, at least as far as we knew, had nothing to do with it.

One thing I'm sure of, more brutality will simply produce more brutality.

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,540 ✭✭✭✭✭

One other thing we can be sure of, no brutality will not mean less brutality. Hamas doesn't want to coexist, and I believe you are correct in saying the hope is that Israel's response will be extreme enough to rally support from other Arab nations. I thought it was just about breaking off the deal that Israel and Saudi Arabia were close to closing, but it's more than that.

"I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Options
    VisionVision Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭✭✭

Redacted

• Options

So, is it just me or is anyone else thinking that these morons have just started World War 3?

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭

They are working on it.

• Options
    ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 8,536 ✭✭✭✭✭

I always knew WWIII would start in the middle east. Those people are nuts.

Trapped in the People's Communits Republic of Massachusetts.

• Options
    silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭✭

Earlier, the USS Carney, a Navy destroyer in the northern Red Sea, intercepted three land attack cruise missiles and several drones that were launched by Houthi forces in Yemen. The action by the Carney potentially represented the first shots by the U.S. military in the defense of Israel in this conflict.

• Options
    TRayBTRayB Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ShawnOL said:
    I always knew WWIII would start in the middle east. Those people are nuts.

And for some reason, Western and European politicians can't keep their hands out of the area. Money, I guess.

• Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,123 ✭✭✭✭✭

https://x.com/samosaur/status/1714962125980901873?s=46
    Incompetent White House doxxes US special forces by posting photo op of Biden with them without bothering to blur out their faces and tattoos, giving terrorists more opportunity to find their families and murder them.

(And I find it infuriating that Auto-fill on my phone won’t spell/auto-fill terrorist for me even after the three times I spelled it out entirely, so obviously it is programmed NOT to spell it for me.)

• Options
    CharlieHeisCharlieHeis Posts: 8,195 ✭✭✭✭✭

I know, I know, it's tik tok but it's good. Hit the disagree if I'm wrong. https://www.tiktok.com/t/ZT8Bk2CdW/

• Options
    edited October 2023

@CharlieHeis said:
    I know, I know, it's tik tok but it's good. Hit the disagree if I'm wrong. https://www.tiktok.com/t/ZT8Bk2CdW/

Painful irony.

(assuming that it's not a hoax as well, hope someone checks it out)

Post edited by Amos_Umwhat on

• Options
    IndustMechIndustMech Posts: 4,700 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CharlieHeis said:

Wtf

I know, You're a big dog and I'm on the list.
    Let's eat, GrandMa.  /  Let's eat GrandMa.  --  Punctuation saves lives

It'll be fine once the swelling goes down.

• Options

@CharlieHeis said:

The thing that libs scream and lie loudest about,… “conservatives abuse power politically” is what the libs are expertly fanatical at doing themselves.

• Options

We need equal opportunity power abuse

• Options
    CharlieHeisCharlieHeis Posts: 8,195 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Amos_Umwhat said:

@CharlieHeis said:

Painful irony.

(assuming that it's not a hoax as well, hope someone checks it out)

His entire account is debunking all the lies put out by other accounts. He brings the receipts.

• Options
    VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 16,849 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sorry Charlie, can't do the tiktoks

Don't look ↑
  • Options
    edited October 2023

@VegasFrank said:

Civilians on both political sides post similar memes telling the opposition that they can vote by texting. Haha funny joke, right? Conservative is charged and convicted. Lib gets away with it. During the trial, when the attorney for the conservative brings up the fact that the other side did the same thing, the judge basically admits libs who wanted to vote for Hillary are dumb enough to fall for it but not conservatives. There ya go, no tick tock.

• Options
    VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 16,849 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Bob_Luken said:

@VegasFrank said:

Civilians on both political sides post similar memes telling the opposition that they can vote by texting. Haha funny joke, right? Conservative is charged and convicted. Lib gets away with it. During the trial, when the attorney for the conservative brings up the fact that the other side did the same thing, the judge basically admits libs who wanted to vote for Hillary are dumb enough to fall for it but not conservatives. There ya go, no tick tock.

Thank you Mister Bob!

Don't look ↑
  • Options
    Hobbes86Hobbes86 Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wasn't sure where to put this...

I believe that to stand in the way of parents trying to save the life of their child is reprehensible. It isn't lost on me that there are many here in the U.S. that want a healthcare system similar to what England has. This is a prime example as to why that is a foolish thing to want.

https://www.dailywire.com/news/judge-orders-u-k-baby-to-be-taken-off-life-support-as-parents-fight-to-take-her-to-italy-for-treatment

"Iron sharpens iron, and one man sharpens another." - Proverbs 27:17

• Options

thought-provoking chart

• Options

@ShawnOL said:
    Since almost every media outlet has a political agenda to push, I trust next to zero.

I agree, Shawn. It's been difficult to find a way to get the news without subjecting myself to so much...I'm not sure what to call it...thought-control? My news consumption has dropped dramatically. Interestingly enough, so has my level of discontent!

• Options

@silvermouse said:
    thought-provoking chart

I'm surprised the trust British conservatives have in the BBC is still a net-positive. What with it being government funded and all.

• Options
    ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 8,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 11

When you've been spoon-fed a biased agenda all of your life its hard to recognize the biases. Here in the U.S. some of us can remember news without, or with very little bias. It's not always what they report but also the stories they refuse to report. Like concentrating on the weapon used rather than the mental illness or many red flags of the crazed killer. Reporting every single of the thousands of gang and other unjustified shootings in the country but never about the millions of defensive gun uses every year. Reporting on every republican scandal, no matter how small, while burying or down-playing anything illegal or unethical done by the communists.

Trapped in the People's Communits Republic of Massachusetts.

• Options
    d_bladesd_blades Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭✭✭

News has always been biased, however it was much more subtle back on the day.

Don't let the wife know what you spend on guns, ammo or cigars.

• Options
    dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,670 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've never been a Tucker Carlson fanboy, never sat through one of his shows when he was on network TV, that's not the way I consume news. I have seen a few of his interviews since he became independent and usually come away with something to think about. His interview with Dr. Willie Soon recently has challenged beliefs I've had since grade school on the origins of hydrocarbons and the effect on our environment.

A little dirt never hurt