Home Non Cigar Related
Options

The useless information thread

1101112131416»

Comments

• Options
    silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,681 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Sun doesn’t have any kind of solid mass, instead comprising white hot gas and plasma—the vast majority of which is hydrogen.

• Options
    Rdp77Rdp77 Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭✭✭

@silvermouse said:
    The Sun doesn’t have any kind of solid mass, instead comprising white hot gas and plasma—the vast majority of which is hydrogen.

I’ve read this myself from a few different sources. My question is, how do they know?

• Options
    peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,728 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Rdp77 said:

@silvermouse said:

I’ve read this myself from a few different sources. My question is, how do they know?

Get on vherf and I'll explain it to you. :smile:

"I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Options
    ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 8,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, drinking too much whiskey can raise blood pressure, especially for heavy drinkers or those who have been drinking for a long time. Alcohol can have both short-term and long-term effects on blood pressure:
    Short-term
    High doses of alcohol can lower blood pressure for up to 12 hours, but then raise it again after 13 hours. Alcohol also increases heart rate for up to 24 hours.
    Long-term
    Heavy alcohol consumption can lead to chronic diseases like hypertension, high cholesterol, and heart disease. Alcohol can also increase the risk of other health complications that can also cause high blood pressure, such as diabetes and excess weight.

WebMD
    Whiskey: Is It Good For You? - WebMD
    Whiskey's potential health benefits are associated with low to moderate amounts. Over time, high alcohol consumption can increase your risk of chronic disease and other health issues. Whiskey's heart benefits come with small doses. Heavy alcohol use can lead to high blood pressure, high cholesterol, and heart disease.

GoodRx
    Does Alcohol Raise or Lower Blood Pressure? Find Out Here - GoodRx
    Jul 28, 2022 — Drinking too much alcohol can raise your blood pressure, particularly if you are a heavy drinker or have been drinking alcohol for a long time. And drinking alcohol increases your risk of other health complications that also cause high blood pressure, like excess weight and diabetes.
    This is for informational purposes only. For medical advice or diagnosis, consult a professional. Generative AI is experimental.

Trapped in the People's Communits Republic of Massachusetts.

• Options
    edited June 9

The most downloaded news app in the United States is NewsBreak. It has origins in China, publishes AI-generated articles, and seems to have a lock on fiction masquerading as fact.

edit for link:
    https://www.reuters.com/technology/top-news-app-us-has-chinese-origins-writes-fiction-with-help-ai-2024-06-05/

• Options

Not surprised. Fiction is more fun than reality.

• Options
    OutdoorsSmoke_21191OutdoorsSmoke_21191 Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting how the shapes are mainly circular. 🤔🤓🤓

A good cigar and whiskey solve most problems.

• Options

@OutdoorsSmoke_21191 said:

After spending some time with you in person, I am now faced with constant question of "Is he serious?" or "What's he really trying to say?" I guess I'll just LOL all your posts going forward. :smiley:

• Options
    OutdoorsSmoke_21191OutdoorsSmoke_21191 Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭✭✭

FYI…this one was me being serious 😉

A good cigar and whiskey solve most problems.

• Options
    dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,703 ✭✭✭✭✭

@peter4jc said:

@OutdoorsSmoke_21191 said:

After spending some time with you in person, I am now faced with constant question of "Is he serious?" or "What's he really trying to say?" I guess I'll just LOL all your posts going forward. :smiley:

He's a west coaster, we just don't take **** so seriously.

A little dirt never hurt
  • Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 26,359 ✭✭✭✭✭

🤙

Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options

Okay, it is a legitimate English word but in 75 years I have never heard a person use it (and I have several pedantic linguist friends). I came across it in a crossword puzzle.:

Rodomontade (which can also be spelled rhodomontade) originated in Italian poetry. Rodomonte was a fierce and boastful king in Orlando Innamorato, Count Matteo M. Boiardo's late 15th century epic, and later in the 1516 sequel Orlando Furioso, written by poet Lodovico Ariosto. In the late 16th century, English speakers began to use rodomont as a noun meaning "braggart." Soon afterwards, rodomontade entered the language as a noun meaning "empty bluster" or "bragging speech," and later as an adjective meaning "boastful" or "ranting."

• Options

computers: "move over, humans, we're taking over"....

A semi-automated, AI-boosted video assisted referee (VAR) system will play a key part in how referees make decisions at this year’s UEFA European football tournament. Ten cameras above the pitch track 29 locations on each player's body in real time and the ball contains a sensor that notes its location and movement, 500 times per second.

• Options

Anybody feeling like George Jetson yet?

• Options

the longest day of the year in the northern hemisphere and the shortest in the southern hemisphere—will occur on Thursday, June 20, at 20:50 Universal Time (4:50 p.m. EST).

• Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,234 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 4:09PM

"eponymous debut album" is pretty much the only context in which I recall ever encountering the word eponymous. Maybe a few times in the description of a book title. But, I can honestly say I've never heard anyone say it firsthand, and in cases of recorded speech I have heard where someone may have come close to saying it, they said self-titled instead. Many roads and bridges and buildings are eponymous but I only ever heard of albums and books described as such. After looking up the definition once again, I came across a synonym that is just plain fun, titular. Are the Grand Tetons titular?

• Options

No, they are not titular.

• Options
    d_bladesd_blades Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭✭✭

Titular = Joe Biden?

Don't let the wife know what you spend on guns, ammo or cigars.

• Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,234 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 7:15PM

@peter4jc said:
    No, they are not titular.

That's too bad. Thought I had a good pun.