Home Trades, Passes and Bombs
Options

Mystery Stick Game

Comments

• Options
    Sandman1amSandman1am Posts: 2,567
    betasynn:
    Sandman1am:
    First time ever playing and trying a stick that I have no idea what it is so go easy on me here. Stick A

The construction of this stick was solid. The wrapper was a bit firm and had lots of veins but looked great from the foot all the way to the cap. The cap was flawless IMO. It appeared to be a robusto sized corojo wrapper???

I punched it with ease and it had a fairly tight pre-light draw. This stick took to the lighter well but I did have burn issues that I will contribute to the very windy day. I was able to step inside my sliding glass door near the end and problem solved.

The 1st thrid of the stick had very strong peppery, leather, and earthy flavors with a hint of sweetness. This quickly changed when I got to the 2nd third as this stick mellowed right out. It changed to a slight bread or nut with the pepper still in the back of my nose. The sweetness became more noticable. It did not change much from the 2nd to the end of the stick. But by the end of the stick I was really feeling this one and would say that it was def. a med-to full bodied.

I have either had this stick before or had one very close to it. My guess is going to be The Edge Corojo by Rockey Patel.
    Interesting choice. Very close, in that you ha the right country of origin and wrapper, but this was a Padilla 1948!
    Damn I was so close yet so far. I actually have 1 or 2 of those sticks. I'm going to have to revisit them soon. I will be posting my B stick in just a min. found my notes.
  • Options
    Stick B
    This stick was a box pressed, most likely a toro in size. The wrapper appeared to be darker like a maduro. It was very pleasing to the eye with veins that seemed to pop out of the wrapper. There was a crack in the wrapper that was approx. 3/4 of an inch up from the foot that was approx. a mm in length. It did not worry me because this stick seemed to be constructed fairly well. This stick was a bit spongy but still semi firm. I punched this bad boy and the pre-light draw was a bit on the tight side. Which I found to be a bit out of the ordinary for a box pressed.

Upon lighting the stick I had burn issues from the get go. It started to canoe so I touched it up. This normally isn't an issue but I had to continue to touch up the stick for the entire stick. This combined with the tighter then normal draw it was difficult for me to do anything other then pay attention to the stick.

In the begining I noticed sweet tobacco flavors, that quickly changed into chocolate with a touch of spice or peper. The spice and peper faded by the end of the 1st thrid of the stick and the flavors that I started to pick up were more sweet chocolate or espresso with just hints of spice. I started to pick up the flavors of a maduro but this stick was tricky because at times I thought that I was tasting sumatra.

Unfortunately I had to put the stick down before I normally would because I kept fighting with trying to keep it lit. Towards the end it got bitter due to me smoking it too fast in an attempt to keep it lit and the wrapper started to unravel.

IME this would appear to be a young stick or one that hadn't had time to adjust from the travel. I think with some rest time I would really love this stick. This is another hard one for me but my best guess would be Rockey Patel Vintage 1990 or maybe 1992.
  • Options
    RedtailhawkozRedtailhawkoz Posts: 2,915
    dont you just hate it when that happens! Sounds like a Nica Libre......... But then again i haven never had a Burn Issue with one of those......
  • Options
    RedtailhawkozRedtailhawkoz Posts: 2,915
    by the way I loved the Play by Play! sounds like smoking weather here in Cali the last few days WINDY!
  • Options
    Redtailhawkoz:
    dont you just hate it when that happens! Sounds like a Nica Libre......... But then again i haven never had a Burn Issue with one of those......
    Ya I do hate it when that happens but I figured it comes with this game as you gotta smoke them and get back to the boards so no rest period for the sticks. I can tell you I highly doubt that it was a Nica Libre. I've smoked my fair share of them and the flavor profile and the body were different IMO. I usually smoke my Nica Libres while driving because I have never had burn issues with them (other then the occational touch up).

Oh ya forget to include that this stick was med to full bodied. The fact that I had an empty stomach could have played factor into that but it was def. med. bodied. The wind wasn't a factor yesterday as I decided that I wasn't going to deal with the elements. I smoked inside and the weather was nice from my couch. It's killing me not knowing what stick this was that I smoked. I will be getting to stick C later today....stay tuned.
  • Options
    betasynnbetasynn Posts: 1,249
    Sandman1am:
    Stick B
    This stick was a box pressed, most likely a toro in size. The wrapper appeared to be darker like a maduro. It was very pleasing to the eye with veins that seemed to pop out of the wrapper. There was a crack in the wrapper that was approx. 3/4 of an inch up from the foot that was approx. a mm in length. It did not worry me because this stick seemed to be constructed fairly well. This stick was a bit spongy but still semi firm. I punched this bad boy and the pre-light draw was a bit on the tight side. Which I found to be a bit out of the ordinary for a box pressed.

Upon lighting the stick I had burn issues from the get go. It started to canoe so I touched it up. This normally isn't an issue but I had to continue to touch up the stick for the entire stick. This combined with the tighter then normal draw it was difficult for me to do anything other then pay attention to the stick.

In the begining I noticed sweet tobacco flavors, that quickly changed into chocolate with a touch of spice or peper. The spice and peper faded by the end of the 1st thrid of the stick and the flavors that I started to pick up were more sweet chocolate or espresso with just hints of spice. I started to pick up the flavors of a maduro but this stick was tricky because at times I thought that I was tasting sumatra.

Unfortunately I had to put the stick down before I normally would because I kept fighting with trying to keep it lit. Towards the end it got bitter due to me smoking it too fast in an attempt to keep it lit and the wrapper started to unravel.

IME this would appear to be a young stick or one that hadn't had time to adjust from the travel. I think with some rest time I would really love this stick. This is another hard one for me but my best guess would be Rockey Patel Vintage 1990 or maybe 1992.
    Aw man, sorry about that one. It is a young stick, but it isn't a maduro. It's not Rocky Patel, either! That flavors you posted are not what I'd expect from that cigar, so I must have sent you a dud, so my apologies! It was a 5 Vegas Cask Strength II!
  • Options
    betasynn:
    Sandman1am:
    Stick B

Aw man, sorry about that one. It is a young stick, but it isn't a maduro. It's not Rocky Patel, either! That flavors you posted are not what I'd expect from that cigar, so I must have sent you a dud, so my apologies! It was a 5 Vegas Cask Strength II!
    Damn not even close huh? LOL I fig. it must have been a young stick because of all the issues that I had with it. I'm sure with some rest it would have been much better. I've got a few of these resting and they are probably ready to be smoked so I will try one soon and see if there is anything different that I pick up. I will be starting sitck C here in just a few. I'm hoping for the perfect stick ha! I'm gonna guess it's a RP too LOL.
  • Options
    Just an update, I have smoked stick C but my notes are at home. It could be another day or two before I post my guess. Stuck at work and no way of getting my notes.
  • Options
    OK sorry for the delay on this. Finally able to get to my notes and have time to sit down and give my guess.
    Stick C
    This was a box pressed torpedo with a dark toothy wrapper. Excellent construction that was firm yet bouncy. Looks like it had a triple cap with a great aroma. Upon cutting the tip with my xikar the cigar seemed a bit dry. The pre-light draw was pretty loose which I expected being a box pressed cigar.

Upon lighting the stick it took to the flame very easily. There was just a ton of smoke rolling off from this stick. It started out very bold and spicy with flavors of earthy tabacco and a sweet yet spicy finish and a hint of chocolate or moca. This stick moved to hints of nut and bread which became more pronounced as I brought the stick to an end. Over all this stick seemed to be medium bodied.

This was a very complex cigar for me. This by far was my favorite of the 3 mystery sticks. I have no clue as to what stick this is. I have tasted all of these things in different cigars but never all in one that I can remember smoking. For the sake of the game I will guess Ashton VSG or wait for it Rocky Patel Decade?
  • Options
    Alright so who wants to be my Mystery Stick moooooch?
  • Options
    HaybletHayblet Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭
    If I was a more informed Herfer I would so be down for this.
  • Options
    Does that mean you want it or not?
  • Options
    I'll give it a shot mate, I just don't think my guesses will be any good
  • Options
    You got it! Send me a PM with your contact info and your general likes/dislikes. We all started somewhere and this was my 1st time playing this game. I didn't get anything right so no worries, just have fun with it and enjoy the experience.
  • Options
    Message for you Sir!
  • Options
    Yes, Sandman! It WAS a Decade! So sorry to keep you waiting, I'll do a post off topic about my whole life situation at the moment in a day or two when I find time, take it easy all!
  • Options
    TatuajeVITatuajeVI Posts: 2,378
    betasynn:
    Yes, Sandman! It WAS a Decade! So sorry to keep you waiting, I'll do a post off topic about my whole life situation at the moment in a day or two when I find time, take it easy all!
    Nice guess!
  • Options
    TatuajeVI:
    betasynn:
    Nice guess!
    Wow that's exactly what it was a big guess. I don't remember the Decades tasting like that. It has been since Jan 1st since I've had one. Might be time to fire up another one but I'm running low on these and need a few more as they are one of my favorites from RP. No worries Betasynn life happens. Thanks for the game man and the great sticks. Just so I know how much time did that decade have on it?
  • Options
    Hayblet:
    Message for you Sir!
    One back to you and this will go out tomorrow so watch for the tracking info by mid-day. Oh and as to what I said about not getting any right, I meant that because I didn't have a clue as to what stick C was even though I've had many a RP Decade. LOL even the old dog has the sun shine on his ass every once in a while.
  • Options
    Twelve months, one week I think, on the decade.
  • Options
    Very nice sir. I've got a few but never had one with that much time on it. Must be the difference in the flavor profile and the body that I had.
  • Options
    OK so I got my mystery sticks today but do not have the time to smoke one tonight I believe so I will start on them tomorrow and take a wild guess as to what these are!
  • Options
    Hayblet:
    OK so I got my mystery sticks today but do not have the time to smoke one tonight I believe so I will start on them tomorrow and take a wild guess as to what these are!
    Take your time man. I will be leaving this afternoon and will not be able to check this until Sunday night. Enjoy & good luck.
  • Options
    Stick A
    so I smoked this with my cup of morning joe, the first 3rd I would say was nice mellow with some leathery/earthy tones, the 2nd 3rd it picked up some nice spice (by then my coffee was gone) it stayed mild still (imo) was nice burned even, the final 3rd was really nice with a spicy earth kind of flavor it might have been more medium then but was overall good box-pressed stick... wagering my guess I would say 5 Vegas A series?
  • Options
    Stick B
    I started this cigar thinking off the bat I knew what it was.. and I was dead wrong this was by far one of the best mild/medium cigars I have EVER had, so smooth creamy and yet complex.. um I kinda got called by my sister and ended up blathering to her through 95% of the cigar.. so I really didn't have much for notes on this one.. throwing a guess into the wind I'll say Padron 1964 Box-Pressed!
  • Options
    GadwinDuilGadwinDuil Posts: 474
    Hayblet:
    Stick B
    I started this cigar thinking off the bat I knew what it was.. and I was dead wrong this was by far one of the best mild/medium cigars I have EVER had, so smooth creamy and yet complex.. um I kinda got called by my sister and ended up blathering to her through 95% of the cigar.. so I really didn't have much for notes on this one.. throwing a guess into the wind I'll say Padron 1964 Box-Pressed!
    Even with only the first sentence being a review, it makes me want to try one of these. Try your 3rd already so we can find out what this one was! :D
  • Options
    yesterday I got caught up in a farewell party and was way too drunk to make any sort of notes to have had stick C so I will be doing that one after work/dinner tonight, sorry for holding the game up
  • Options
    Hayblet:
    Stick A
    so I smoked this with my cup of morning joe, the first 3rd I would say was nice mellow with some leathery/earthy tones, the 2nd 3rd it picked up some nice spice (by then my coffee was gone) it stayed mild still (imo) was nice burned even, the final 3rd was really nice with a spicy earth kind of flavor it might have been more medium then but was overall good box-pressed stick... wagering my guess I would say 5 Vegas A series?
    OK sorry to keep you hanging out there for so long. Went away for the weekend & my team won the state competition. We brought home the Govenor's Trophy!

Now back to the game. Stick A was a Nica Libre 1990 glad that you liked it. One of my favorite go to smokes when I am driving. I always know what to expect with the burn, body, and flavors. Effortless smoke that I really enjoy. That's why I like it while driving or with morning coffee.
  • Options
    Hayblet:
    Stick B
    Stick B def. not a Padron 1964 (I'm keeping those for myself hahahaha). Very interesting guess. If you get a chance def. try one though. I would love to send everyone on this forum one but I can't afford to. So for the sake of not wanting anyone to feel left out I can not send them to you guys. For stick B I sent you one of my favorites that I hadn't had in some time. It was the Rocky Patel 1990 vintage. How was the burn on this stick? The last one I had was one of the best burning sticks I have ever smoked.
  • Options
    Hayblet:
    yesterday I got caught up in a farewell party and was way too drunk to make any sort of notes to have had stick C so I will be doing that one after work/dinner tonight, sorry for holding the game up
    You weren't holding up the game I was. Enjoy stick C but you might want to have a good meal before you do.