Home Non Cigar Related

The Sniper's Box Project

gdsim1gdsim1 Posts: 213
The Story of The Sniper’s Box Project (grab a cigar & your favorite libation, you’re going to be here a while…)

January of 2010 - like a lot of folks, I had been ghosting the Forums for a while. Learned a lot about the hobby, got a few laughs & generally enjoyed the site. Also saw what a great community this was – if anyone ever doubts that I suggest they go take a look at how you rallied around jsnake last year when life was beating him down, or how everyone is doing the same thing for Redtailhawkoz now that he is being tested to the max. These are my kind of people I thought, and Ive got to figure out a way to get involved in this.

Being so new to the hobby, I didn’t feel like I had a whole lot of insight to add… my “collection” consisted of about 30-40 sticks, and I had been smoking a stick every week or two since about June of the previous year. So how to get involved with the community?

Comments

• gdsim1gdsim1 Posts: 213
    On the 20th of January, I blew the ACL in my right knee playing basketball. Very painful injury, made all the more so because it was the third time this had happened over the years. In order to reduce the swelling & control the pain, the doctors gave me some drugs.

Really

REALLY

REEEEEAAAAALLLLY good drugs. For those of you who haven’t had the pleasure, one of the crappiest parts of this injury is the recovery time – you are laid up FOR EVER. And with not a whole lot to do for the next couple months except surf the internet & learn more about cigars (while on happy pills), Im guessing you can figure out what happened.

The 30ct humi got filled up.

Then the 100ct got topped off.

Which led to the 250ct humi being purchased.

Then the 250ct got filled.

And my happily drugged up butt just kept ordering.

One night I was watching the evening news while cruising the forums, and a great idea hit me - A CIGAR PONZI SCHEME!!! For anyone unfamiliar with the term, think Amway, or the old Prell shampoo commercials… one leads to two, two leads to four, etc, etc.

It was perfect! What a great way to meet some more BOTL, build up some posts & street cred so I could get in on games & passes, and if this thing worked, maybe even pull off the big one – bomb The Beard as a thank you for all the hookups he has provided all of us, me included. To prove that I am actually a fan of Mr Blythe & this whole thing was not malicious, here is a pic of me while I was laid up which should show everyone how much of a fan I am…

• laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    gdsim1:
    On the 20th of January, I blew the ACL in my right knee playing basketball. Very painful injury, made all the more so because it was the third time this had happened over the years. In order to reduce the swelling & control the pain, the doctors gave me some drugs.

Really

REALLY

REEEEEAAAAALLLLY good drugs. For those of you who haven’t had the pleasure, one of the crappiest parts of this injury is the recovery time – you are laid up FOR EVER. And with not a whole lot to do for the next couple months except surf the internet & learn more about cigars (while on happy pills), Im guessing you can figure out what happened.

The 30ct humi got filled up.

Then the 100ct got topped off.

Which led to the 250ct humi being purchased.

Then the 250ct got filled.

And my happily drugged up butt just kept ordering.

Are you saying YOU are the Sniper? You outted yourself?! If this is the case... WELL DONE. You have breathed some very interesting life into the forums over the last several months. Good on you.
    I figured I would get to “snipe” 5 or ten people, then I would either have The Beards address or surely somebody would bomb me. Ended up getting to snipe a COUPLE more people than that, and had a blast doing it! Only one BOTL decided to return fire (before the nuclear option was used, we will get to that later). J0z3r was given the option of ending the thread then & there or letting it continue so Counterterrorism could reap its vengeance, and he decided to let the game play on.

Some numbers for you, since everyone loves numbers…

561 - replies to The Sniper’s Box thread at the time of this writing.

29, 024 – views of The Sniper’s Box thread at the time of this writing.

34 – BOTL successfully sniped (will rise to 39 should all the rounds eventually be confirmed)

17 – separate states of the union in which BOTL were sniped (will rise to 21 should all the rounds eventually be confirmed)

2 – BOTL who never posted pics after being sniped (no gold stars for you YankeeMan and Kaspera79! LOL)

5 – BOTL who had sniper’s boxes sent to them who never responded (madurofan, Firetruckguy, Ejenne87, Goldy & urbino). At this point, only Ejenne87 gets a get out of jail free card because he is deployed. Will PM the others & see if they respond.

2 – nations in which BOTL were sniped (USA & Canada. Laker1963, I literally could have WALKED your box to you in the time it took the postal service to deliver it! Glad to hear it made it OK).

2 – number of separate rounds fired at different addresses purported to be that of The Beard. One was returned to me as an Alec Bradley Tempus FOSSIL after about 3 weeks of bouncing around the USPS. The other… ?

Right then. So on Saturday May 29th, I was the recipient of this…. (cause everyone likes pictures even more than numbers!)

FIFTY NINE STICKS MY BROTHERS!!! A better look....

A tactical nuclear device from which there was no escape. I will post a list of the sticks, which will be provided by my conqueror... unless he would like to cut out the middle man & just put it up here himself???

And on that note gentlemen, this is officially THE END of The Sniper’s Box Project. I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for being such good sports & making this fun for all the BOTL. I have had an absolute blast with this game fellas, the best part being getting to meet so many of you. I welcome your comments and questions if you have any.

One last thing... I have a couple spin-off game ideas, one of which should be on the Trades, Passes & Bombs forum shortly after I post this - a game for charity in what I consider to be the best traditions of the BOTL here at the Ccom forums. Hope to see you all there!

laker1963:
    Are you saying YOU are the Sniper? You outted yourself?! If this is the case... WELL DONE. You have breathed some very interesting life into the forums over the last several months. Good on you.
    Yes Laker, it was me. PM to you sir.

• j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Hey Glen, now that it's all over let me say thanks for injecting some new life into the forum, the Sniper game was a lot of fun and a lot of laughs. Also, thank you for the Padilla Habano burberry perfecto you bombed me with, I had really wanted one since they came out and I enjoyed it quite a bit. Glad to have you as part of the community.

Joe
  • KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    Wow, this game has been a blast and laker was right when he said you brought in new life to the forums...was kinda getting boring there for awhile. Thanks for the fun!! (and the cigar!) oh...and hope your knee feels better too.

"Long ashes my friends."

My pleasure fellas. Happy to provide some smiles & laughs, and glad to be a part of such a great group of people. Ive got a couple ideas for some more games / bombs, hopefully everyone will enjoy them too.

The knee is getting better, thanks Krieg. Its a long road back, and if you try to rush it in rehab, you just end up back at square one with it.

SNIPER TRIVIA BONUS - when I first hatched this idea, I wanted to use "Lone Ranger" style masks, but couldnt find them anywhere within driving distance. Then, one of my daughters had an idea - "Why not a princess tiara?"

Couldnt do it to y'all. LOL I think everyone would agree that the goofy sunglasses were definitely the lesser of those two evils.

Although I do have to admit, the idea of Alex Williams in a tiara does make me chuckle every time I think of it! :-D

• firetruckguyfiretruckguy Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭
    Dude, your to much! Thanks for the stick.....got it in the mail friday. Who sent the nuke to you? Thanks again my friend....... made my damn weekend!
    firetruckguy:
    Dude, your to much! Thanks for the stick.....got it in the mail friday. Who sent the nuke to you? Thanks again my friend....... made my damn weekend!
    My pleasure brother, and Happy Memorial Day! Did it make it to you OK? Yours was another I could have walked out to you quicker than the USPS delivered it!

As to the nuke, it was sent by a BUNCH of the people I sniped... apparently they came back from the dead to destroy lil ol me! LOL There should be a list of everyone who was in on it, along with what they contributed, in the next day or two. Stellar sticks from some stellar BOTL - including a Gurkha Titan! Crazy!!! :-D

• minibeezyminibeezy Posts: 257
    LMFAO. Thanks for the laughs. Very cool.
  • Anonymous Tip received: April 4, 2010, 2:23pm EST
    Snipers True Ident
    Glenn Simons
    **** XX XXXXX XX
    XXXXXXXXXXX XX XXXXX
    Address not disclosed for security purposes

You have been watched the entire time and allowed to operate because your mission was BRILLIANT, well done!
  • gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    Well played, Sir !!!
  • ENFIDLENFIDL Posts: 5,836
    I knew it was you! Kriegs CAO Brazilia gave it away to me. I tried getting in on the hit but was too late to the game :( Very well done Glen! Very entertaining brother!
  • The SniperThe Sniper Posts: 3,910
    Thanks to everyone for the kind words - but I wanna see if I can top it! And this time for a great cause! Check out the "Lord of Chaos" thread over on the Trades, Passes & Bombs forum and lets take this madness to the next level!

ENFIDL:
    I knew it was you! Kriegs CAO Brazilia gave it away to me. I tried getting in on the hit but was too late to the game :( Very well done Glen! Very entertaining brother!
    Thats pretty funny E! Especially since I was getting ready to snipe your @ss for talking smack on the thread! LOL Glad you enjoyed it, and I hope the Lord of Chaos thread will be just as entertaining.

• ljlljl Posts: 819
    Cool game man, a "must read" every time I would hit the forums. Heading over to see "lord of chaos" now, can't wait to see what that's all about. Thanks for making it interesting.
  • RedtailhawkozRedtailhawkoz Posts: 2,915
    gdsim1:
    Right then. So on Saturday May 29th, I was the recipient of this…. (cause everyone likes pictures even more than numbers!)

FIFTY NINE STICKS MY BROTHERS!!! A better look....

ANyone who didnt think this wasm't Fun they are a Stick in the MUDD! WHat an Awesome Expierience to have witnessed this Game... What a HOOT! Thanks Glen for the Fun and the Laughs Cant wait to see whats next!
    You definatley Upped the BAR!
  • The CankThe Cank Posts: 799
    Hell Yeah it was a few months of good times ! Great idea and thanks for the stick ! Hope that knee gets better
  • This was an interesting game to watch, well played. I will now remove the NCIC hit for you sir..that Crown Vic down the street will no longer be watching you. :)
  • ENFIDLENFIDL Posts: 5,836
    The Sniper:
    ENFIDL:
    Thats pretty funny E! Especially since I was getting ready to snipe your @ss for talking smack on the thread! LOL Glad you enjoyed it, and I hope the Lord of Chaos thread will be just as entertaining.

HAHA Sneaky Sneaky I am! I was about to hit you when I heard about this! lol Thanks for all the great entertainment and that's def a great way to hook up random BOTL's man!!!
  • YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sniper, Ya dun good! The only reason I didn't post a photo is that I am a computer idiot! I tried to do an ash photo and someone had to post it for me.

In any event, it was a cool idea and I tried to get the Beard's address out of Alex at the Cigar Fest but he wouldn't give it up. Thanks for the fun.
  • letsgowithbobletsgowithbob Posts: 677 ✭✭
    Thanks man, what an awesome soap opera it has been, I never guessed it was you, Thanks for what you did, it has been a lot of fun.
  • cabinetmakercabinetmaker Posts: 2,560 ✭✭
    This was a fun game! Well played sir, well played.
  • Renaissance_ManRenaissance_Man Posts: 973 ✭✭
    Oh cool. I am still a bit confused but now I see what's been going on. Great idea man! I love how you got nuked!
    Thanks for all the positive feedback fellas, I had a blast too! Wish like hell I was could have gotten The Beard - my idea was to bomb him with one of every stick it took to get his addy! So for every stick I sniped someone with, Tim would have gotten a stick to match it. Between sniper rounds, bonuses for trivia, newborns, etc, it would have been a pretty nice sized bomb!

Ren, did you have a question about this insanity? Post it here or PM it to me. :-D
  • sightunseensightunseen Posts: 2,130 ✭✭
    Like what the others have said, it's been an interesting few months. Thanks for injecting some life into the forums.