Home Ratings & Reviews
Options

Fourto Review

Comments

• Options
    FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Posts: 2,555
    Quick review.
    This was a nice little tasty cigar.
    The cellow was dark brown on this one. For the size and the age it was still pretty full flavored and fuller body than I expected. I smoked it on an empty stomach and it hit me a little bit. So I think it may be a medium, but I got full cuz of not eating before hand. I have 4 more resting/aging and will probably dust another one off later this summer for a full review.

• Options

Quick review.

This is the 2nd one of these cigars that I have had. I was blown away by the flavors on the 1st one.
    I was underwhealmed by the 2nd one of these that I have had.
    I had super high expectations. I have a couple more resting, I will dust if off again later this summer.

• Options

This cigar has 2+ years of age on it. Almost 3.
    This cigar is in its prime right now. I have another one aging and am going to smoke it this summer.

This cigar was smooth as silk and really tasty sweet, earthy tobacco flavors.
    It was delicious without a burn problem.
    I will smoke the last one later this summer, as I beleive that this cigar w this age on it is in its prime.
    I also have a 1990 that I got at the same time with the same amount of age that I will smoke later this summer as well.

• Options
    TatuajeVITatuajeVI Posts: 2,378
    Haven't had the 1992 in a long while. Sounds awesome after that much time in the humidor.
  • Options
    Rob1110Rob1110 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭
    Sorry, hadn't checked my PMs in a while. Responded to yours.
  • Options
    Fourtotheflush:

This cigar has 2+ years of age on it. Almost 3.
    This cigar is in its prime right now. I have another one aging and am going to smoke it this summer.

This cigar was smooth as silk and really tasty sweet, earthy tobacco flavors.
    It was delicious without a burn problem.
    I will smoke the last one later this summer, as I beleive that this cigar w this age on it is in its prime.
    I also have a 1990 that I got at the same time with the same amount of age that I will smoke later this summer as well.

Ok,
    I smoked this cigars twin today.
    RP 1992 Toro. Purchased - 8/07; smoked 7/10
    Prelight & light:
    This cigar smells really like tobacco. It has a really earthy smell to it. Earth and sweet sweet tobacco.
    Not much else
    Cut with a guilloting. The cap totally pops off and cannot be repaired.
    Ouch
    But fortunately this doesnt become a problem at all.
    This cigar has a tough draw, tight, but not bad, but for a RP cigar this is super tight as his are typically on the loose side.
    No real flavors on the prelight draw.
    I light with my Nibo with a nice cook on the foot.

1st third:
    Initial flavors of sweet tobacco and some dried fruit. maybe apricot.
    I am pairing this with a Stoli Raz & Tonic
    After about the 1st inch the dried fruit becomes a really earthy sickly sweet flavor.
    It almost tastes like fruit that is super ripe mixed with vegetables that are going bad.
    Now this isnt a good thing, but really not super bad.
    Flavors are really pronounced and super smooth.
    I can put a whole draw of smoke through my nose without any repurcussions of burn
    (through the nose is really where the going bad veggies comes through)....

1st ash falls at approx 1 inch while putting the cigar down between puffs. The ciga is also ballooning a bit at the end, but it hasnt caused a problem w the wrapper at this point.

2nd third:
    Ballooning ends after a couple puffs. The sweetness subsides and this musky vegetable flavor becomes more pronounced. Im thinking it may be because of the tonic water, so I switch over to water.
    This helps but that flavor is still there.

Its really hard to describe. It almost like roasted asparagus that didnt release any of it sugars while roasting.
    You have to like bitter to like this flavor. I like bitter, but this is pushing it.
    Again, the smoke is so smooth it is like silk. A long finish of earth is present.
    I am taking my time with this cigar because if I smoke too fast the bitter becomes way too pronounced.

Last third:
    I get a wrapper crack about 1/8 of an inch along the stick.
    This crack moves with the cigar until hits a seam and dissapears.
    The last third is much the same. earthy tobacco, not complex at all.

Summarry
    I think that this cigar was just over the hill of where I should have smoked it.
    It tasted good for some of the cigar, but other parts there were times where I was close to putting it down.
    The 1st third was really complex with lots of flavors, the last 2/3 were fairly dull.

No corrective lights needed, no draw issues, just the 1 small wrapper issue.

I woudl smoke and buy these again, but prolly wont put this much age on any future ones I get.
    I have 1 more 90 from the same batch that I will probably smoke in the next week or so.

I smoked this past the bands, but didnt nub it. Burn time 1:50. I could have easly gotten another 20-25 minutes out of it, but it was getting late and I was done.
    **Edit**I was actually shocked because I had to move my car and when I got in I had been smoking this cigar for 1:45 I didnt realize how long I had been smoking. It was a great evening w a great book, good drink (that I am finishing as i type this), and a good cigar. I put this cigar solidly in Med category. Probably mild - med becuase of the aging, but this is typically a meduim bodied cigar for me.

****Reminder to self, dont drink tonic water with a cigar****
  • Options
    The more I think about it, that bitter flavor also had a sour element to it.
  • Options
    KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    Nice review! I bought the Heritage RP Sampler about a year ago, which had 10 92s, 10 90s, 10 SG and 10 Decades. I have been aging these smokes now and have been trying one of each about every 4 months and I have to say the Sun Grown is really coming into it's own now. I smoked one last night actually and was very impressed with it. I usually like to drink a jack and coke when I have one of the RP Vintages, really makes it a great smoke.

"Long ashes my friends."

• Options
    VidarienVidarien Posts: 246
    Krieg:
    Nice review! I bought the Heritage RP Sampler about a year ago, which had 10 92s, 10 90s, 10 SG and 10 Decades. I have been aging these smokes now and have been trying one of each about every 4 months and I have to say the Sun Grown is really coming into it's own now. I smoked one last night actually and was very impressed with it. I usually like to drink a jack and coke when I have one of the RP Vintages, really makes it a great smoke.
    With regards to aging, the only cigar in that lineup that I think could have a "better" taste (depending on your palate) would indeed be the sun grown. 90s/92s/decades dont have enough of an edge (no pun intended) to gain anything by age. But this is all just my personal opinion.
  • Options
    Vidarien:
    Krieg:
    With regards to aging, the only cigar in that lineup that I think could have a "better" taste (depending on your palate) would indeed be the sun grown. 90s/92s/decades dont have enough of an edge (no pun intended) to gain anything by age. But this is all just my personal opinion.

I gotta tell ya, I typically get a bit of harshness with the 90. With this age on them, that harshness was completely gone. But I do think that 3 years is a little overboard for a wrapper thats already aged 10 years and fillers that are already aged 5 years.

One of them was a home run, one was I would say a double.

• Options
    Fourtotheflush:
    Ghurka Centurion
    The Centurion listed on Ccom is listed as the double X - Is that a new blend for the same cigar?

6x60 double perfecto
    Filler - Dominican
    Binder - ??
    Wrapper - Listed as connnecticut?? Doesnt look like a connie

In Humi 9/08, smoked 3/10
    Ill research the origins a little more and edit them later.
    I will say I have had 1 centurion prior to this and wasnt impressed as I had construction issues the whole way!

The Look
    The look of this cigar is perfect. It is a double perfecto tapered to a point on the head and with a little nipple on the foot.
    The wrapper is flawless, perfectl wrapped and had the apparent definition of tooth on the wrapper (little bumps). It looked like I took the cigar out in the cold and it got goosebumps.
    The feel is solid without any soft spots.
    I am worried as this cigar had construction problems in the past and I am not smoking in the best conditions.
    It is raining and we are going to be smoking under a tailgating canopy.

The Cut
    I cut the head and snip just a bit off the tip just past the nipple. Both cuts are nearly perfect. The head has a bit of loose wrapper that doesnt appear that it will pose a problem.

The Light
    I light it up with my triple flame. no problems. The first flavors are nice and smooth tobacco.
    I am getting lots of interesting flavors from this cigar. Really lots of different dancing spices.

Im not going to cut this up into thirds because I didnt take any notes and I cannot really remember all the different flavors. I will say that I really liked this cigar, it was very complex. I would put this cigar firmly in the Medium body with Full Flavor.

I am very happy that I dusted this cigar off again, I have another one aging in the humi and will most likely have it this spring/summer.

I am interested in knowing if the Centurion cigar with the Centurion band is a different blend than the old Centurions or if it is just an added band for cigar recognition!
    If anyone knows you can save me a few minutes of research!

Ok,
    So I dusted this one off tonight. It is my last Centurian...
    poor me, at least until I order more, but this one has almost 2 years of age.
    Its from the same batch as the one above.
    The cigar looks great, but not as perfect as the one I ref above.
    This one has probably been out of the humi about 10 times and returned because it hasnt gotten smoked...

So I clip the head and a little of the nipple foot. No problems with the light and Im off

1st inch:
    The cigar starts off super super smooth.
    Has a really caramel, nut flavor going on here. not a sweet caramel, but almost a burnt caramel.
    (I only know the flavor cuz a local ice cream shop makes burnt caramel ice cream and its great.)
    With a dark roast nut here. Maybe a roasted almond or hazelnut.
    This flavor lasts the first inch, then I dont get it anymore.
    Im pairing it with an Eagle Rare 10, that is kind of sweet & has hints of vanilla, so Im thinking its a good choice with this cigar.
    This cigar is SMOOOOOOOOTH.
    Man Im liking this one.
    I cannot put a full puff through my nose, but I can put alot through without any burn.
    Remainder of the 1st third is really smooooth tobacco flavors with lots of different flavors dancing in there.
    I will say the aroma of this cigar is great! Totally smells of burning oak.
    1st third is totally mild as it hasnt quite hit its full ring guage yet.
    At the end of the 1st third I am comparing the aroma to a really oaky chardonnay.

2nd Third.
    1st ash falls.
    A cocoa flavor develops here. The caramel is gone and the cocoa dominates.
    Again, not a sweet cocoa. almost like a bitter bakers chocolate, but not a bad bitter, a nice tasty bitter.

Wow there is something to this aging cigars thing isnt there????

Totally complex and this 2nd third has hit Medium in body.

Last third.
    2nd ash falls
    I have tapered down past the fattes part of the cigar.
    it is really tasty and a nice flavorful aged tobacco flavor become present.
    I will call it musk for lack of a better term and I have heard it used here a couple times (def. by Kuzi)....
    I have tasted this flavor before, but cannot quite pin it down.
    This last third is definately Medium - Full and I am feeling it.
    As tht last inch approaches it get a little hot. I slow way down in my smoking.
    If I had a cigar spike or a cigar roach clip I would have smoked this thing until I burnt my lips.

This is a very tasty cigar, I highly recomend to folks who like complex cigars.
    I know that alot of the flavors are beyond my pallet, but they are super tasty anyways!!!
    I smoke this for 1.5 hours while on my front stoop reading a book and drinking ER10
    Life is good
    Enjoy!

• Options
    It's been too long since I've had Eagle Rare or a Centurion. I think I have one left with about a year in the humidor. Thanks for the review!
  • Options
    TatuajeVI:
    It's been too long since I've had Eagle Rare or a Centurion. I think I have one left with about a year in the humidor. Thanks for the review!
    I gotta tell ya, I thank Cholmes for turning me onto Eagle Rare. Very reasonable price for that bottle. I gotta thank Jeff Jackson for turning me onto the centurion. I was shocked at the time at the deal he gave me on them, now they can be had on deals all the time at the price I got them for.
  • Options
    Fourtotheflush:
    ISOM Fonseca Corona
    Wrapper, binder, filler: ISOM
    5x42 Corona
    In humi 8/28/09 - Sacrificed to the BOTL gods 4/7/10

I got a box of these from my brother many years ago and I remember them being good.
    I smoked them all except 1 and that one ended up getting dried out and I gave it away.
    A relative went up north of Maine and picked up a few for me.
    The were a gift, but I beleive that they were almost $20 per.

The Look
    The cigar comes wrapped in tissue and then the band is wrapped around that tissue.
    The cigar slides out of the band and tissue fairly easily after I cannot peel the glue on the band and just try to slide it out.
    The cap is perfect and there are no blemishes on the wrapper. It is a medium brown wrapper with moderate veins and is fairly toothy. I have no concerns looking at the cigar.

The Feel
    Cigar feels solid and I am concerned about draw problems. It actually feels rock hard the entire lenght.

The Cut
    Before I cut I smell the cigar. mmm Barnyard - thanks Kuzi - whith some sweetness in there. I lick the cap and as ususal I get nothing. Not sure why I keep doing this as I rarely taste anything. Its not part of my normal routine.
    I get a nice clean cut from my backup double guillotine. I am still worried about the draw.

The Draw
    The prelight draw is tight but manageable.

The Light
    I use a single torch and get a nice even light on the end. Things are going smoothly.

First Third
    Ok, so the draw is a little tight. I abandon the puff puff draw technique as the puff just isnt cutting it. I go with the full draw each time.
    The first few puffs are amazingly sweet. I cannot put my finger on the specific sweetness, but definately a sugar cane/caramel sweetness. Its really tasty. I exhale through my nose! Yeah, really getting this technique down pat now! There is a ton of sweetness on the tongue and sweet smooth tobacco through the nose. the retrohale definately has some roasted vegetable flavors in there for me. Something that exudes its sugars when you roast it, like a carrot or asparagus. I cannot really get to identify it, but it is really good. I am LOVING this 1st third. There is lots of billowy smoke, not too thick, Ill say near perfect amount
    1st ash falls off after about an inch or so, but doesnt cause any problems. Burn line is almost razor sharp

Seond Third
    I am about 15-20 minutes in and the draw technique is burning this stick a little faster than I am used to or wanting to. But I feel that it is necessary to keep this cigar going and drawing well. About 1/2 way into the cigar the sweetness on both the tongue and retrohale starts subsiding. Its there, but not as pronounced. Pepper starts kicking in. Definately a sweet/spicy pepper, not necessarily a black pepper. Really getting complex at this point and I wished I was sitting down with a pen and paper. The pepper is more pronounced through the nose than on the palate.

Final Third
    At this point the cigar really loosens up and becomes spongy. This happens really at the very beginning of this final third. Im a little over a half hour in. 35 minutes or so. The draw is now loose and the once rock hard cigar is now soft and squishy. Then comes the bitter! at this point I set it down. I really didnt want to burn out my pallette at this point. A couple bitter draws was all I needed. Im still trying to determine if this was my smoking technique or if it was the cigar itself. Did I smoke too fast?

Body
    The body on this was definately mild to medium slowly building through the cigar. Heavily leaning toward the mild.

Overall
    I will say that this cigar is very complex. I will also say that I will smoke them again ( I have a few resting ). I am very happy with the 1st 2/3 of this cigar and am really dissapointed in the final 1/3.
    Overall I think that this has the ability to be an above average cigar. If it wasnt for the price or the difficulty in getting them, I would probably put them in the rotation. Given those two issues, I will stick with an AJ for my fix.

A cigar I would say that I could compare this to is the CAO Crillolo (Pampa - the corona size). Really similar flavors for me withouth the draw issues. With the draw problems I will put it into an average cigar and will update after I smoke a couple more.

OK, So I had my second of 3 of these. with a year on it.

Ie got to say the flavors above are pretty spot on. I had a much more difficult time with the one I had this afternoon. Draw was super tight the entire stick. Hit the same rock hard point in the middle, but this one was tough. When I hit that spot the foot pretty much exploded. After that, all was well..... A little dissapointing given the brand, the status - ISOM - and the cost. if this was a $3 cigar Id still be upset at the construction problems, but at ISOM CAD$ prices Im really upset. I will probably have the 3rd later on this summer......

• Options

My wife, then fiance, picked me up 4-5 of these, along w a travel humi when we got engaged in St. Petersburg, FL.
    The shop owner told me they were a locally rolled PE blend that was worth 3x what they were selling it for. -- About $8 ea if I remember.

It even came with a certificate stating it was legal PE tobacco. Pretty neat.

I had two of them while on my engagement vacation and remember them being fantastic. Theyve been sitting in my humi ever since.

Tampa B&M House PE
    Toro 6x48
    100% Isom PE tobacco.
    Shade style wrapper.
    Been in humi since 4/2003 by far my oldest cigar (next closest is 1 CAO gold from 07 then a couple 08's)....
    Not sure why I keep passing these guys up when looking for a cigar.

I've got to say that the body on this was a mild - Med - Med Full cigar building throughout the stick.
    Really muted flavors due to the aging.
    It reminded me of a cross between an Ashton and a well aged JJ. (ive never had a well aged JJ, but what I think that would taste like)..
    Extrememly balanced, tasty, peppery at points. I would say that the 1st third reminded me of a connie.
    2nd third of a medium habano - JJ or AJ Signature; Last third of a Ashton Cabinet.

It was really complex even though the flavors were fairly mild.
    Great cigar, I have 1 more not sure what special occasion I will smoke it on.

Today was just a day to enjoy a cigar, no special occasion needed.

• Options

Ok, My new favorite brands/blends are Ashton - **** is appropriate here.
    This is my 1st VSG.

Ashton VSG
    Corona Gorda 5.7 x 46
    MSRP $10.75 - I think I got it for $9 as it was the end of a box.
    Wrapper - Ecuadorian Virgin Sun Grown?
    Binder & Filler - Chateu De La Fuente - where is this?
    Been in Humi approx 2 Mo's
    Well aged at local B&M as they stated they had it on hand for over 1 year.

Prelight, Cut & Light:
    The look on this cigar is perfect. Dark Brown, not maduro
    Nearly perfect seams and veins that are barely noticable.
    the it a ton of plume on the cap (B&M pointed it out to me when I bought it).
    Cut w my Xicar - not happy w the 1st cut, so I snip again w no problems.
    Prelight draw is perfect & fairly loose - IMO.
    Light w triple flame w no problems.

1st third:
    The initial draw totally reminds me of the ashton cabinet w just a tad more spice to it.
    This cigar is extremely smooth. Lots & lots & lots of cobalt billowy smoke. Wow the 1st couple puffs are impressive.
    Tastes are of totally smooth aged tobacco, creamy caramel & a hint of spice.
    When I pass the smoke through my nose, the pepper is a bit more pronounced and there is a aged tobacco flavor that I attribute to musk there. I have had it on a few well aged cigars and definately on Ashton Cabinets.

The remainder of the cigar it totally complex and throughout it reminds me of an Ashton cabinet w more body & flavor.
    This was a great cigar to end the night with.
    The first ash held onto the 1/2 way point. I thought at the time that I would take a picture after the next draw and the ash fell....
    The next ash fell w less than an inch left.

I had 1 burn issue abouty 2/3 the way in that self corrected with a couple fast repeated draws.

I smoked this cigar way too fast as I was loving the flavors. I smoked this one to the nub - approx time 1:15 hour:min....
    This cigar has a high price point. Totally worthy in my opinion.
    At this point if I could smoke an Ashton everyday, that would be my go to cigar..
    .. yeah, Ive been pimped out by Ashton!!!!

• Options
    Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    Nice review. This is one of the big ones I have, but haven't tried. Glad to hear it was so good. I normally hear from long time fans of it that it was better a few years ago.
  • Options
    Fourtotheflush:
    Fourtotheflush:
    Ill put up a mini review shortly, but in short I liked this cigar. It was tasty. I would smoke this again, I will also seek it out to smoke it again. I had wrapper problems with this one and I would seek it out again. I think this says something about this cigar.

so I forgot to post my review and now I have lost the memory of most of the flavor. Anyway I remember it was good and had a great burn despite some wrapper problems I gave the cigar.

Flavors of earth, minimal spice. I remember some cedar and some nut. It was more creamy than toasty. Had lots of smoke output and no burn issues despite the cracked & peeling wrapper.

So the wrapper issue that I provided to this cigar. I bought it at a B&M and it had no cello on it.
    When I took it out of my humi I was also packing up some sticks for a night of poker. i took out my beads to root around. ( my beads are in a drawstring nylon bag.)

I had a bunch of cigars out and was putting them back into the humi. I had my poker cigars set out and when to put my beads back in the humi. picked up the bag and the Illusione went flying across the room the edge of the drawstring was under the cigar. The illusione wrapper cracked and peeled. I didnt smoke it that night , but did a week or so later.
    Fortunately it didnt kill the cigar. It limited it to about and hour smoke instead of a 1.5 - 2 hours smoke.

So I had another one of these yesterday. The one I had yesterday was totally more dry toasty than creamy. Totally floavors of oak and nut, but really dry.

It was a good cigar, not great IMO. not a value brand, but also not a super premium.
    Im not going on the lookout for these cigars, but if someone hands me one I wouldnt say "Yuck, no way"

• Options
    LFD Air Bender - Matatan

Robusto sized stick. Had some burn problems up front.

It appeared to have some maduro leaves in the filler (really dark leaves).

1st third started out really flat - probably due to the burn issues.

Once the burn corrected itself this cigar popped (flavor wise).
    it went from ho hum to living the high life between puffs.

It also went from a mild/med to full bodied about the half way point also.

Good cigar, once I smoke down my stock I will be adding LFD to the rotation (if I can find them).

• Options
    HaybletHayblet Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭
    awesome I know Phil talks for ever about this brand but I just have a hard time (money wise) atm to buy anything from their line I'll hopefully get a chance to try these soon thanks for the review Sir!
  • Options
    Hayblet:
    awesome I know Phil talks for ever about this brand but I just have a hard time (money wise) atm to buy anything from their line I'll hopefully get a chance to try these soon thanks for the review Sir!

I know people rave about the LFD line. This is the 1st and only stick that I have had from LFD.
    So far so good. I really liked it.

• Options

Gran Habano Vintage 2002

In humi approx 1.5 months smoked 8/4/10
    Wrapper: Nicaraguan Corojo 2002
    Binder:??
    Filler: Nic & Dom combination
    z
    This cigar comes beautifully packaged
    It has a cedar sleeve that is sealed at the foot by a red velvet ribbon wrapper and near the band, by a second band stating that it is the Vintage 2002
    The main band is very ornate and attractive looking.
    Removing the 2nd band proves to be no problem, but the ribbon and cedar sleeve are held together by tape. The ribbon comes off fairly easily, but I have to tear at the cedar sleeve becasue the tape will not come off the cedar.

This cigar has a great look to it. Really oily & Shiny, minimal veins. The seams are a problem as I see and point out to Cholmes that they are lifting in many places.

I cut this with a double guillotine and state that this feels moist when I cut it.
    I think I said Juicy!
    Light with a single flame torch, nothing to report here.
    1st few puffs are sweet and spicy.
    Not bad.

That is the best part of the story, all down hill from there.
    The cigar wouldnt burn at the seam line and required multiple touch ups in the 1st 1/2 inch. then while the cigar wouldnt burn at the seam line it also started tunnelling and the wrapper wouldn't burn at all.
    So I hit it with the torch for a big re-light.
    YUCK
    Bitter chemical tasted after that one.
    A few more puffs revealed that the cigar still wouldnt burn at the seam and it seemed that the it was tunneling again.
    I chucked it at this point.
    I still have a bad taste in my mouth from this one. prolly from the multiple re-lights and bitterness from that.

I have another one resting and will prolly give it away as I dont think I will give this line another shot.

• Options
    stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Posts: 4,317
    You got my addy right? Wink [;)]

• Options
    JSaintJSaint Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭
    I just had the same problem here. BUT it is really humid and was starting to rain when I was smoking it so I will give it another try on a sunny day. After that then....Idk. I still love the 3 Siglos line though.
    "Beauty is in the eye when you hold her." -Ricky
  • Options
    Partagas Cifuentes
    6x48 figurado
    Foot has a tapered nippled end and the head has a point/peak on the cap.
    But it is uniform ring through most of the length of the stick.
    Not sure of the W/B/F as I havent looked it up yet, but the cigar is from 04
    Gifted from another BOTL that I met up with at a herf a couple weeks ago.
    Benn in humi 1.5 weeks.
    Smoked 8/11/10

This will be a quick review.
    The look on this cigar is good, the feel is solid.
    The cigar appears to have been wrapped w a different pc of tobacco on the foot of the cigar to make the nipple foot and another pc to make the majority of the stick.
    The burn started off very one sided.
    It self corrected after the tapered end hit the uniform lenght of the stick.

No corrective lights were needed.

The flavors were real nice and melllow.

At one point I said that this is a really nice poor mans Ashton.

No offense to Ashton smokers or Partagas smokers intended.
    I smoked this one down past halfway, but not quite to the band, due to time, not the flavor or construction of the cigar.
    This tasted of nice aged tobacco. A little heavy on the pallet.
    I would say smoke em now as they are ripe.!!
    If you like Ashton Cab, you will like this for a value.
  • Options
    La Auroro Prefiridos Emerald Tubos

6x54 perfecto
    Wrapper: Dominican Sumatra Sungrown
    Binder, filler: Dominican

MSRP - $18.65; I paid less than half that - I feel the need to mention the pricing.
    (Its funny, I think ive only mentioned actual pricing one other time in my reviews) Ok, I got this cigar a little over a month ago at an auction, 1st and only time I have won an auction.

I had been wanting to try this for a long time now.

The packaging couldnt be nicer. This cigar comes tubed in a smooth emerald green tube.
    I slide out a cigar that looks fantastic at first. Then i started inspecting it.
    The foot is tapered but left with a little opening and the head is completely sealed to a nice pointed tip.
    The cigar looks like it is wrapped twice, once for the majority of the cigar and one small area to make the tapered end on the foot.
    The seams on some of the edges of the wrapper are lifted. There are some small pinholed in the foot of the cigar.
    Not beetle holes, but pin holes, little little tiny tiny ones.

I snip this with my Xi2 and the prelight draw is nice and firm, not too tight, not too loose.
    I light with a single flame without any problems.

This cigar on the initial puffs isnt putting out any smoke at all.
    Not that unusual for a perfecto until it opens up.
    I continue to work on it and it is now giving out minimal smoke.
    Even though it is giving out some smoke after the first few puffs the wrapper isnt burning at all.

I fear it is tunnelling. I look at the ash on the foot and it is clear that there are big gaps in the filler.
    I give it a quick re-light to get it back up to speed and get er going again. A good amount of wrapper burns up in the process, probably where the cigar was tunnelling!
    Now the cigar is going and the next few puffs seem to be working where the entire cigar is buring. These 1st few puffs are very very bitter from the touch up.
    There are some other flavors in there of aged tobacco, but the cigar just doesnt want to get going.

After about another 5 minutes, It is clear that one side of the cigar is buring while the other side isnt - Canoing....
    I feel the only way to correct it is with another re-light. So I go through the process again!
    Im only a little over an inch in and the cigar is also feeling really squishy.
    Bitterness once agin. UGH 5 more minutes into it and its canoing again.....
    Im getting very very frustrated at this point.

I remember doing this with a perfecto before and it seemed to work so I try it this time.
    I pass the cigar through my Xicar and I snip off the entire foot well below the burn line for a complete relight.

Inspecting the tobacco on the inside it is clear that there is a problem.
    There is a huge bunch of tight tobacco on one half of the cigar, in a 1/3 moon shape, and really loosely bunched tobacco on the other half.

Ok so I give it another go witha light and YUCK, this think is giving out minimal smoke and what it is giving off is totally bitter!!!

I have one more resting and I am hoping that I just got a bad one made by an inexperienced roller.

I had really high hopes on this one due to the revies, the ratings it has received, the price and the lofty MSRP. I was really really dissappointed. I am going to rest/age the one I have left outside the tubo to see if that may help any.

• Options
    AF Short Story (SS).
    4.5x49 perfecto
    - Nippled bulbous foot, tapered down to a head that is approx 36-40 ring gauge.
    Dominican Puro, with a Dominican camaroon wrapper.

This will be a quick review as I wasnt taking mental notes and it was about 2 days ago, so Im going from memory here.

This cigar looks great, a light brown wrapper, but darker than a CT shade wrapper.
    There are clearly some signs of pectin on the wrapper, where the roller got a bit sloppy with the pectin on her fingers and kept rolling.
    This worried me, but the band just slid right off the cigar withouth having to be pulled apart to remove it.
    Cut and light go perfectly.

Draw is perfect
    1st draws are of smooth aged tobacco. It has that granmas basesment scent on the retrohale.
    There is a slightly sweet note to it, not maduro sweet, just a hint of it.
    The cigar burns perfectly the entire lenght of this stick.
    It gets a little hot just past where the band would have been.
    My ride arrives and I would have smoked for another 5 minutes or so, but I chucked it as it was getting a little hot and I had to go.

This cigar smoked for about 45 minutes, I burned it to the nub. It was great. I smoked a terrible cigar earlier, so it was great to have a good cigar following that bad one up!

• Options
    Fourtotheflush:
    Hayblet:

I know people rave about the LFD line. This is the 1st and only stick that I have had from LFD.
    So far so good. I really liked it.

The funny thing about the Airbender is that I find it my least favorite from LFD, but it's still excellent. If you get a chance, compare it to the Cameroon Cabinet #1. In my humble opnion, they are similar but the CC has much more depth and complexity. And at $8 a stick, it's a steal for a special occasion stick.
  • Options
    Ive got 3 LFD Im sitting on right now, none are the CC.
  • Options
    Just placemarking the two ciagars i smoked today.

Cabuguan Guapos 46 maduro. Really good cigar.

LFD Coronado Lancero
    Good cigar, not great. Wanted it to be better.