Home Non Cigar Related
Options

The Good Muslim

Comments

• Options
    laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    wwestern:
    Vulchor:
    Western---You do realzie that between your sarcastic and uncalled for retorts, you youurself said what the constitution allows. It does not respect a national religion, but allows freedom of religion and for people to assemble for that said reason. You stated they were violent as a whole, this is your opinion not a fact and therefore not breaking the law. So by your logic, would it not be anti-american not to allow this mosque??? I am not saying I am for it or against it, but please lets not even talk about "these mongrels" and what they have done by bending the rules of this country after the YEARS AND YEARS of benfit economically to christian religions, schools, projects, and even tax free status of "christian" theme parks. To be respected and your opinion valued you have to be consistent across the board.
    All I'll say is you should go to a mosque and conversate with it's inhabitants maybe take a few of your gay friends or maybe really feminist lady friends and talk about how great america is and all the freedoms we have here... afterall it's a peaceful tolerent culture.
    And with that... you can just be ignored. You do more to harm your own credibility with remarks like that then anyone else could do by disagreeing with you. LMAO.
  • Options
    24footjet24footjet Posts: 132
    Tried to stay out but can't... Laker says that these topics "used" to divulge into name calling etc... I guess him saying people with other views than his as being "intellectual blackholes" doesn't fit that stance.

And ground zero isn't an important religious site. Muslims do this to show their dominance over what happened at this site and their dominance as a religion. To do this in a country that was founded on Christianity and it's principles... and yes it was... adds insult to injury.

Betasynn, get your facts straight about Christianity. NOWHERE does the Bible, with some book that starts with D you are sure of it, state that me as Christian, needs to kill non-believers in the name of Jesus Christ. You have to be kidding me? What a statement.

And Vulchor, God is real....
  • Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,557 ✭✭✭✭✭
    24footjet:
    Tried to stay out but can't... Laker says that these topics "used" to divulge into name calling etc... I guess him saying people with other views than his as being "intellectual blackholes" doesn't fit that stance.

And ground zero isn't an important religious site. Muslims do this to show their dominance over what happened at this site and their dominance as a religion. To do this in a country that was founded on Christianity and it's principles... and yes it was... adds insult to injury.

Betasynn, get your facts straight about Christianity. NOWHERE does the Bible, with some book that starts with D you are sure of it, state that me as Christian, needs to kill non-believers in the name of Jesus Christ. You have to be kidding me? What a statement.

I can only guess he was referring to Deuteronomy, written long before the time of Christ.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    VulchorVulchor Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭✭
    laker1963:
    wwestern:
    Vulchor:
    Western---You do realzie that between your sarcastic and uncalled for retorts, you youurself said what the constitution allows. It does not respect a national religion, but allows freedom of religion and for people to assemble for that said reason. You stated they were violent as a whole, this is your opinion not a fact and therefore not breaking the law. So by your logic, would it not be anti-american not to allow this mosque??? I am not saying I am for it or against it, but please lets not even talk about "these mongrels" and what they have done by bending the rules of this country after the YEARS AND YEARS of benfit economically to christian religions, schools, projects, and even tax free status of "christian" theme parks. To be respected and your opinion valued you have to be consistent across the board.
    All I'll say is you should go to a mosque and conversate with it's inhabitants maybe take a few of your gay friends or maybe really feminist lady friends and talk about how great america is and all the freedoms we have here... afterall it's a peaceful tolerent culture.
    And with that... you can just be ignored. You do more to harm your own credibility with remarks like that then anyone else could do by disagreeing with you. LMAO.
    I was thinking of trying to respond with something meaningful...however I think i will follow your lead Laker and just not even try. Not really worth responding to.
  • Options
    VulchorVulchor Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭✭
    The bible, like the Koran, like many other works of fiction are up for interpretation---so to say Beta is wrong, would be wrong itself. One guy can believe the earth was made in 7 days, another 6 billion years ago, and another guy can beleive people walked with dinosaurs....all different views of the bible. Reading such a text in any viewpoint leads to differences in opinion.

Also, this country may have been founded by religion, but is not to be tied too it. I dont know how much concern the athiests would have about such a mosque, or if it would add any insult to their injury...so a blanket statement probably doesnt apply here.

Also, its a typical trying to disprove a negative here. Since Muslims are all violent, but they can lie about being peaceful to attain their goals, we cannot be sure if they are really peaceful or are truly violent. Sounds alot like a witchhunt and guilty until proven innocent to me.....AGAIN, I am not for the mosque for many of the reasons listed here....but it seems somewhat ignorant to the law and to a group of people to make blanket bold statements based solely on opinion and VERY loose evidence (if any)
  • Options
    24footjet:

Seems I am the one to get you involved in a fair amount of discussions, LOL.

As for the edit of a quote I made in an earlier post here is the full text of what I said...

I'm not going to get into this one as far as my personal beliefs in this matter. I just wanted to say to One2gofst that you have to remember when making arguements here, that some of these guy's even said that ALL Palestinians were terrorist, and killers. Even the women and babies ! After that I realized that there is some deep seated hate in some BOTL here and some intellectual black holes here as well. For some people the hate just clouds everything else out.

This comment was NOT made to anyone in a personal manner. It was stated as support for what One2gofst was trying to get across to an unlistening few people who were being very extreme in their comments. To me an intellectual black hole is someone who won't even listen to another's point of view because they are so sure they have all the right answers already. If you took that as a personal attack I apologize. I also notice that you commented on my comment when there have been plenty thrown around. Hmmm.
  • Options
    Come on Laker...you need to read again. Sometimes I think you don't read the posts...too busy focusing in on what your gonna reply back with. If you read it again its replies to you, vulchor, and betasyn. But you are right...you bring out the conservative in me...I can't help it...when I see your posts I click on it to keep you level-headed...where's the Smiley face thing... And I think progressives/liberals in general are bringing out conservatives like me in droves....thank you.
  • Options
    24footjet:
    Come on Laker...you need to read again. Sometimes I think you don't read the posts...too busy focusing in on what your gonna reply back with. If you read it again its replies to you, vulchor, and betasyn. But you are right...you bring out the conservative in me...I can't help it...when I see your posts I click on it to keep you level-headed...where's the Smiley face thing... And I think progressives/liberals in general are bringing out conservatives like me in droves....thank you.
    No, no. I understood you were responding to more than just myself. Thing is you did at least say something about what each of the other two had to say as far as the discussion. While with me it was little more then a comment about me. Which is OK, it wasn't a personal attack, I didn't mean that.

I have stated that while I think they have every right to build the Mosque anywhere they like, because that is the right of any American citizen(s). I have also said that I think it is the wrong place to build it, for if nothing else, just the controversey they should have known it would cause. I won't go as far as some who have suggested that it was done intentionally as some soft of concurring symbolism.

I don't know what you mean by the smiley face... but here's one for you if it helps ;)
  • Options
    I couldn't find the Smiley face to let you know I was kidding a little bit....so I appreciate the Smiley...typing on my phone can't see the Smiley.
  • Options
    Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    Very interesting thread. Am I correct in assuming that it's a given that they have the right to build the thing there as per the constitution, and it's just whether or not they should that is up for debate?

If so, what I'm wondering is what's the benefit to building the thing there? It stirs up all this controversy, debate, and emotion, but to what goal? Obviously the answer is going to differ depending on your point of view, but I'm having a hard time finding much of a positive answer no matter whose shoes I put myself in.
  • Options
    cholmes8310cholmes8310 Posts: 1,585
    i'm not even reading all this. I saw this was about the Mosque and stopped reading. Yes, it's their right to build it wherever they want. And it's also someone's right to torch it if they don't like it! May not be smart, and they'll surely do hard time, but it's their right. And I for one wouldn't complain. ;)

edit****Dam*IT!!!! I wasted post 1500 on political crap!!!! Total waste. booooooooooo
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    cholmes8310:
    i'm not even reading all this. I saw this was about the Mosque and stopped reading. Yes, it's their right to build it wherever they want. And it's also someone's right to torch it if they don't like it! May not be smart, and they'll surely do hard time, but it's their right.
    nope. it actually isnt their right. nobody has a right to violate the rights of others. as said before, the mosque debate, to me, is not an issue of if it is constitutional (religious rights) because it clearly is constitutional to build there. this is a debate on if it is in poor taste or not, why it is or isnt, and (in relation to this thread) if a "good muslim" would let it be built there.
    cholmes8310:
    And I for one wouldn't complain. ;)
    i wouldnt complain either, but i would insist that the person in violation gets prosecuted.
    cholmes8310:

edit****Dam*IT!!!! I wasted post 1500 on political crap!!!! Total waste. booooooooooo
    HA HA!!

(that was a "Nelson from The Simpson's" laugh)
  • Options
    kuzi16:
    cholmes8310:
    i'm not even reading all this. I saw this was about the Mosque and stopped reading. Yes, it's their right to build it wherever they want. And it's also someone's right to torch it if they don't like it! May not be smart, and they'll surely do hard time, but it's their right.
    nope. it actually isnt their right. nobody has a right to violate the rights of others. as said before, the mosque debate, to me, is not an issue of if it is constitutional (religious rights) because it clearly is constitutional to build there. this is a debate on if it is in poor taste or not, why it is or isnt, and (in relation to this thread) if a "good muslim" would let it be built there.
    cholmes8310:
    And I for one wouldn't complain. ;)
    i wouldnt complain either, but i would insist that the person in violation gets prosecuted.
    cholmes8310:

HA HA!!

(that was a "Nelson from The Simpson's" laugh)
    I guess "right" wasn't the right word. I think you knew what I meant. They can choose to build it there, and someone can choose to torch it. Maybe that conveys my point better. I too, would insist they be prosecuted, since they violated the laws of our country, but I would not be the one to complain about it.

And I've never watched the Simpson's, so I have no idea who Nelson is.
  • Options
    cholmes8310:
    holy crap

HA! HA!

• Options
    lilwing88lilwing88 Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭
    This is just getting more and more ridiculous......

Mosque Developer Rejects Meeting With Paterson

So, the people who want to "build bridges" are refusing to build bridges...... Hmmmmmm...

Yea. I totally trust them.......
    Guns don't kill people, Daddies with pretty daughters do…..
  • Options
    Here's another bit of "awesomeness" from the left on this issue.......

AUDIO - Rep. Pelosi calls for investigation of WTC mosque opposition

Thank you, 8th Congressional District of CA..... we appreciate it.
  • Options
    kuzi16:
    cholmes8310:
    holy crap

HA! HA!

i knew that would be the response.
  • Options
    Actually, this wasn't about building the mosque, it was about a question Kuzi brought up on the thread that IS about building the Mosque: Where are the good Muslims? I was hoping that someone in our diverse group might be able to come up with something, like, "My muslim friend tells me that there's a columnist in Al Jazeera that has spoken out against radical Islam", or something like that. One2gofst came close, mentioning the ability of Christians to buy alcohol in certain muslim countries, etc.
    In 1975 I hitchiked down through Spain into Morocco, and, once through the lunacy at the border, found the people there to be mostly tolerant of Christian visitors and their customs. Things change in that many years, though, and mine was certainly a limited experience. So, the question was, and still is, is there significant open resistance the radical islam in the muslim world? Given the power struggles involved, and the secrecy, and the insulation that all the governments involved benefit from, we may never know.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    I worked with a strict Muslim. He was Pakistani. He had to pray at least five times during his shift. He also ate Halal only meals and had some real big hang-ups when it came to dealing with women. I really didn't understand how this way of life could transcend over the requirements of our job (law enforcement). I would ask him questions alot and he was pretty cooperative with his responses, but I never got the feeling that he cared too much about my way of life or my opinions. He had kind of a "my-way-or-the-highway" kind of approach. I'm not saying he was a radical Muslim and he didn't proselytize, but he didn't seem very tolerant of anybody else's way of life. He also had a really deep hatred for Hindu Indians that he didn't try to hide very well. He didn't feel the need to explain it to me. Almost as if I should know why he hates Hindu Indians. I know this is just one example of a Muslim and there are probably over 3 million in this country, but it was one of my only everyday close encounters to share with the class. In my line of work, I deal with many cultures and religions and have even gone so far as to remove my shoes to search a mosque where a burglar alarm had gone off. I have had to take reports for and arrest a man who lit his wife on fire because he caught her cheating or stealing (which I found out later is the norm in his culture). I've dealt with children who at the age of 7 or 8 can't read or write because the parents refuse to send them to "Westernized" schools. We literally bend over backwards to be accepting and tolerant of their cultures and religious beliefs. But the law is the law. And sometimes I feel like they're not very "tolerant" or accepting of our basic laws that separate us from uncivilized society. I might be very wrong on this, but this is my personal experience. Not just stuff I've read on the internet or heard on the radio....... I guess I don't know what makes a "good" Muslim or a "bad" Muslim. There are so many things i still don't know about the Muslim faith and culture.
  • Options
    I can't talk for inside the US but there have been several Muslim leaders talking about how these radicals are trying to hijack the Muslim faith. There have been interviews with TV personalities and articles in the Newspapers. Maybe because they are not actually in the states they feel safer about speaking out, I don't know.

I wonder just how bright it would be for some well known important muslim leader to get on TV in the states and say things like I have heard here. I don't believe their life expectancy would be very long after the interview was over.

I know it has been said here that this is something which would help to prove that there were concerned Muslims out there who do not agree with the radicals. Problem is, is that a move like that would almost certainly get the persom killed. While it may serve as proof to some of his good intentions... I don't think anybody should be asked to throw away their life, in order to prove his good intentions.

As a side note, there was that incident last weekend in the desert where the driver of that rally car that went into the crowd of people (who were practically standing on the race surface) who felt so afraid of the people in the crowd who tried to attack him that he ran away and hid. Self preservation is an ingrown thing. It is not likely that any Muslim is going to step forward for the cause, at least not right in the U.S. but it is happening.

You boy's really do need to look into some of the news from around the world. It will give you a good idea of what is going on in the world outside of the US and will also serve to let you see how the rest of the world see's you.
  • Options
    Really good point about news from around the world. I lived in Germany twice, for a total of about 5 years all told, and had the opportunity to watch the British news, also the German news, which was more difficult for me to follow, (due to my poor German language skills) but interesting enough to hold my attention and get me to trying to find the same information from American sources. We are actually quite insulated over here, we are fed what "they" want us to hear to a much larger extent than most folks would believe. I wouldn't have believed it, if I hadn't lived it myself.

• Options
    laker1963:
    I can't talk for inside the US but there have been several Muslim leaders talking about how these radicals are trying to hijack the Muslim faith. There have been interviews with TV personalities and articles in the Newspapers. Maybe because they are not actually in the states they feel safer about speaking out, I don't know.
    can you link to any of these?
  • Options
    LukoLuko Posts: 2,003 ✭✭
    laker1963:

I wonder just how bright it would be for some well known important muslim leader to get on TV in the states and say things like I have heard here. I don't believe their life expectancy would be very long after the interview was over.

I know it has been said here that this is something which would help to prove that there were concerned Muslims out there who do not agree with the radicals. Problem is, is that a move like that would almost certainly get the persom killed. While it may serve as proof to some of his good intentions... I don't think anybody should be asked to throw away their life, in order to prove his good intentions.

As a side note, there was that incident last weekend in the desert where the driver of that rally car that went into the crowd of people (who were practically standing on the race surface) who felt so afraid of the people in the crowd who tried to attack him that he ran away and hid. Self preservation is an ingrown thing. It is not likely that any Muslim is going to step forward for the cause, at least not right in the U.S. but it is happening.

You boy's really do need to look into some of the news from around the world. It will give you a good idea of what is going on in the world outside of the US and will also serve to let you see how the rest of the world see's you.
    Not sure I agree that a Muslim speaking out would "almost certainly" get that person killed in the U.S. I can tell you what will "almost certainly" get you killed (or at least a jihad declared against you) - draw a cartoon of Muhammad.
  • Options
    fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    Luko:
    laker1963:

Not sure I agree that a Muslim speaking out would "almost certainly" get that person killed in the U.S. I can tell you what will "almost certainly" get you killed (or at least a jihad declared against you) - draw a cartoon of Muhammad.
    Last time I checked the Jihad was only flowing one way. Can someone cite a news article where a Muslim was killed here in this country or in other places for being a Muslim?? There are plenty of sources where people were killed for not being Muslim around the world.
  • Options
    fla-gypsy:
    Luko:
    laker1963:

Last time I checked the Jihad was only flowing one way. Can someone cite a news article where a Muslim was killed here in this country or in other places for being a Muslim?? There are plenty of sources where people were killed for not being Muslim around the world.
    Kosovo, Bosnia, remember? We went there to save their ****.

• Options
    Amos Umwhat:
    fla-gypsy:
    Luko:
    laker1963:

Kosovo, Bosnia, remember? We went there to save their ****.
    Sorry, went away for the weekend so wasn't able to respond.

When I said that about Muslim's speaking out I was more reffering to his chances of getting killed by other radical thinking Muslim's within the US. I was NOT saying that I thought that he would be attacked by say, Christian people. I realize the comparison I used about the race track incident caused the confusion.

Why is it though that every time someone says something which is NOT totally against Muslims in general there are comments like Gypsy's. I wish you would just keep your hate to yourself. If you have nothing but hate and your own fear to add to this... please don't. You guy's like to argue as though the whole Muslim world was thinking with the same brain and that there are absolutely no disenting views amoung Muslims. That is a very simplistic view of people of any background. Do all American or Canadians think exactly alike? Obviously not. Grouping people together and making comments like this is racism and hatred.

Yes some Muslims may react EXACTLY as you both have said. That is no reason to assume that every Muslim everywhere is likely to act the same way.

As far as Kosovo or Bosnia go... I am shocked that you would bring up that whole sordid affair as an example of good deeds done by Christians. Do you know how many people died while the world stood back and did nothing? Gypsy you need to get help with that hatred... it's going to eat you up bro'.
  • Options
    I think what makes most reply the way they do to you Laker is the way you present your posts. You tell us we are full of hate and we are hate"mongers" and racists... exactly what every left-leaning person clings to as the answer to everything. I don't like Obama... RACIST!. I don't trust Islam... RELIGIOUS FANATIC HATEMONGER RACIST AMERICAN... I don't agree with gay marriage.. YOU BACKWARD HOMOPHOBE REDNECK... and the list can go on.

This Mosque being built is about conquest. Watch this little tidbit

http://gulagbound.com/3396/seeing-the-ground-zero-mosque-as-militant-muslims-do?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+GulagBound+(GulagBound.com)
  • Options
    24footjet:
    I think what makes most reply the way they do to you Laker is the way you present your posts. You tell us we are full of hate and we are hate"mongers" and racists... exactly what every left-leaning person clings to as the answer to everything. I don't like Obama... RACIST!. I don't trust Islam... RELIGIOUS FANATIC HATEMONGER RACIST AMERICAN... I don't agree with gay marriage.. YOU BACKWARD HOMOPHOBE REDNECK... and the list can go on.

This Mosque being built is about conquest. Watch this little tidbit

http://gulagbound.com/3396/seeing-the-ground-zero-mosque-as-militant-muslims-do?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+GulagBound+(GulagBound.com)
    Wow.

I feel a lot better knowing that this site is full of "news articles" just like this one, as it only confirms what I said. This site is full of this type of article so it is obviously playing to the choir here as people who go there are already believers in this view.

As for the comments you made Jet, I was talking directly to Gypsy and said so. You take my one comment and add several others which I have NEVER stated (try to find an instance if you can) and then go running off about the Left again. If you feel the same as Gypsy then I would say the same thing to you. I did not, and have not made blanket statements about Christians or anyone else. I try NOT to think in general terms when talking about people, as I fully recognize that we are all individuals and not clones. You may feel otherwise and that's OK with me. But I would point out that in the same way that there are differences of opinions amounst Christians, Jewish people, or people of any region or religion... why then do you paint ALL Muslim's with the same brush? Do you find it that remarkable that there are different views within the Muslim peoples?

I never mentioned anything about the "the way most reply to me" at all and hadn't even considered it from that viewpoint. I don't know what you got out of my post, but you may want to re-read it without any preconcieved notions because I was NOT complaining about the way I was being replied to at all. LOL

I once again feel the need (for those who refuse to believe it) to state that I do NOT think the Mosque should be built there. But feel free to carry on Jet. I know you need to unload.
  • Options
    Your "quotes" are great. It's a "Christian" news site so it's "not" relevant. Preaching "to" the choir. You are already "a" believer in your "point" of view, therefore "you" go to sites that "back" up your "point" of view also, "correct" Laker? You are such a "double" standard that "I" have a tough time reply"ing" to your "posts".

I've read your posts in alot of other political speak threads and it's all the same. We, as conservatives, hate people and are racist if we don't subscribe to your way of thinking. OR, we are just backwards non-thinking bufoons because we take stands contrary to what you believe. Intellectual blackholes....

I appreciate your statement that the mosque shouldn't be built there. So because it's from a Christian site, are you going to discount everything this man says because of your pre-concieved notion that he is preaching to choir? For Christians only.... so therefore it's not valid anymore?

And your caustic comments like... I know you need to unload... or that hate will eat you up bro... or intellectual blackholes... or... shoot, I could go do some research on your post and fill the screen up with your condescending shots, but it's not worth my time.
  • Options
    24footjet:
    Your "quotes" are great. It's a "Christian" news site so it's "not" relevant. Preaching "to" the choir. You are already "a" believer in your "point" of view, therefore "you" go to sites that "back" up your "point" of view also, "correct" Laker? You are such a "double" standard that "I" have a tough time reply"ing" to your "posts".

I've read your posts in alot of other political speak threads and it's all the same. We, as conservatives, hate people and are racist if we don't subscribe to your way of thinking. OR, we are just backwards non-thinking bufoons because we take stands contrary to what you believe. Intellectual blackholes....

I appreciate your statement that the mosque shouldn't be built there. So because it's from a Christian site, are you going to discount everything this man says because of your pre-concieved notion that he is preaching to choir? For Christians only.... so therefore it's not valid anymore?

And your caustic comments like... I know you need to unload... or that hate will eat you up bro... or intellectual blackholes... or... shoot, I could go do some research on your post and fill the screen up with your condescending shots, but it's not worth my time.
    Gulag Bound is a Christian site?

I hope a few of the BOTL here will visit the link Jet provided and you let me know if you consider this a Christian site. I see lots of political articles and tons of anti Obama stuff but I didn't come across anything about religion on the articles page except for the one which was questioning whether Obama really is a Christian.

Jet, you seem to have a hard time separating religion and politics. In my world they NEVER go hand in hand. I don't see us agreeing on anything dealing with either.

I also listened to the video and read several of the articles before I wrote that. It seems that it is you who has a hard time with someone not agreeing with your position. I already stated that I am OK with whatever your position is / was and then you made that comment. I am a little confused.