Home Ratings & Reviews
Options

Fourto Review

1235»

Comments

• Options
    FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Posts: 2,555
    A few days ago I had an AVO robusto (#2or9).
    This cigar was really smooth and tasted like it was a nice aged cigar.
    I only had it in the humi for a couple months from Ccom.
    Really tasty mild cigar.

Last night 9-1-10 I had a Cubao lancero. Gifted from another generous BOTL
    Wow the lick on the pigtail cap was super duper spicy.
    The 1st inch on this was nice and peppery before it mellowed out.
    Produce tons of thick chewy smoke.
    Totally med-full for this one as I was feeling it after an inch or two in.
    Flavors of coffee and chocolate on this one with pepper on the finish.
    This cigar was really complex and I wasnt expecting it to be.
    (dont know why) But I really liked it.
    I had it before dinner and wish I had this one after dinner.

• Options
    Arturo Fuente God of Fire Don Carlos 2006 Robusto
    In Humi approx 3 Months, Smoked 9-4-10
    Dominican Puro w a Dominican Sumatra Wrapper.

Smoked 1 hour 20 min. I was smoking a bit fast and may have been able to get a bit more time out of it.

The Look:
    1st off the double band on this cigar is very impressive. The 1st band is very intricate w a wonderful design on it. the 2nd band denotes that it is Don Carlos (Ill check to see if it has 2006 marked).

The cigar has a beutiful wrapper on it, very dark brown, very oily. A little tooth to it, a little bumpy. There is 1 VERY prominent veing running the entire lenght of the wrapper (its there on the wrapper following the turns)

Prelight:
    The aroma off the cigar is of aged barnyard tobacco. I have trouble describing this, but its a musty aged tobacco smell. I really only notice this on aged cigars.
    The lick on the cap brings a unique spice taste that I cannot quite put my finger on.
    I use a friends double guillotine. Just snip it and dont get enough. Then I have to snip twice more to get it right.
    Prelight draw is nice and tight, but not too tight, just right!......

The light goes off without a hitch and the cigar lights up perfectly.

1st Third:
    The 1st third is really smooth. Really nice aged tobacco flavors. Not too much spice and not too much body. Not a ton of flavor, but really a nice subtle flavor there. At this point Im liking the cigar and 'waiting' for it to take off. The burn line is RAZOR Sharp and this cigar is putting out tons of rich smoke. It is a little dry on the pallet.

2nd Third:
    This cigar really takes off with some nice smooth cinnamon & nutmeg flavors. This spice was there most of the way, I was just now really getting to figure it out. Still dry on the pallet. A very long flavorful finish of well aged tobacco.

Final Third:
    Much of the same above, the flavors changed to a heartier version of those above. It was as if the cigar became fuller. The burn line throughout the cigar was razor sharp. in the last inch there was a little wavering, but never in need of a corrective light. It was really nice. I nubbed it, nearly burnt my fingers!

Summation: This was a very expensive cigar. It was nearly worth every penny. Im not sure if any cigar is worth the price that this cost, but this one is darn near close, I also didnt pay MSRP, but darn near close to it. If you get the chance to try one of these I highly suggest it.

• Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    Fourtotheflush:
    Arturo Fuente God of Fire Don Carlos 2006 Robusto
    In Humi approx 3 Months, Smoked 9-4-10
    Dominican Puro w a Dominican Sumatra Wrapper.

Smoked 1 hour 20 min. I was smoking a bit fast and may have been able to get a bit more time out of it.

The Look:
    1st off the double band on this cigar is very impressive. The 1st band is very intricate w a wonderful design on it. the 2nd band denotes that it is Don Carlos (Ill check to see if it has 2006 marked).

The cigar has a beutiful wrapper on it, very dark brown, very oily. A little tooth to it, a little bumpy. There is 1 VERY prominent veing running the entire lenght of the wrapper (its there on the wrapper following the turns)

Prelight:
    The aroma off the cigar is of aged barnyard tobacco. I have trouble describing this, but its a musty aged tobacco smell. I really only notice this on aged cigars.
    The lick on the cap brings a unique spice taste that I cannot quite put my finger on.
    I use a friends double guillotine. Just snip it and dont get enough. Then I have to snip twice more to get it right.
    Prelight draw is nice and tight, but not too tight, just right!......

The light goes off without a hitch and the cigar lights up perfectly.

1st Third:
    The 1st third is really smooth. Really nice aged tobacco flavors. Not too much spice and not too much body. Not a ton of flavor, but really a nice subtle flavor there. At this point Im liking the cigar and 'waiting' for it to take off. The burn line is RAZOR Sharp and this cigar is putting out tons of rich smoke. It is a little dry on the pallet.

2nd Third:
    This cigar really takes off with some nice smooth cinnamon & nutmeg flavors. This spice was there most of the way, I was just now really getting to figure it out. Still dry on the pallet. A very long flavorful finish of well aged tobacco.

Final Third:
    Much of the same above, the flavors changed to a heartier version of those above. It was as if the cigar became fuller. The burn line throughout the cigar was razor sharp. in the last inch there was a little wavering, but never in need of a corrective light. It was really nice. I nubbed it, nearly burnt my fingers!

Summation: This was a very expensive cigar. It was nearly worth every penny. Im not sure if any cigar is worth the price that this cost, but this one is darn near close, I also didnt pay MSRP, but darn near close to it. If you get the chance to try one of these I highly suggest it.

One of my favorite cigars. Not worth msrp but they can be found less and when they are I try to pick them up. I want to try the 07 one day.
  • Options
    laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    Good review Fourto...I love these things. That little hint of cinnamon and Nutmeg are what do it for me. I agree about the price as I can't see almost any stick being worth that much... but... we pay that much or close to it in order to enjoy these sticks, so what does that say?

I prefer these over the Carlito version as the Don Carlos seems to deliver all the flavors in such a subtle, never over the top kind of fashion that just makes me smile the whole way through.
  • Options
    thanks, I havent had the carlito yet, dont plan to anytime soon. I do like the real sublety of those spices though. They arent in your face, kind of just a little hint of it to complement the aged tobacco.
  • Options
    Fourtotheflush:
    Fourtotheflush:
    MOW Virtue
    5.5x46 Lonsdale
    W B F - TBA
    In Humi approx 1.5 weeks

Quick Review
    The look is nearly perfect on this light cigar. minimal seams and veins on this.

Cut is good

I light it and my torch runs out with about 1/2 of the foot lit.
    I draw a couple times. Im about to be furious and get another quick hit out of my torch to get this lit.
    PHEW

First 1/2 inch is pure pepper - Typical of what AJ gives me.
    Pepper subsides and it becomes a nice full bodied smoke for about an inch

This subsides and then this becomes Coffee & cream (I was also drinking that)
    Paired well with my coffee.
    Cream subsided to smooth tobacco

I smoked this down to just past the band.
    This cigar was great with a really fantastic sweet creamy finishe and aftertaste!

I will smoke these again. I have the sampler, so I look forward to them in other sizes.
    My feel on this is that the thinner ring guages is where this blend is going to shine!

I had this same cigar in the mini solomon, it wasnt nearly as good. Didnt have the pronounced flavors that the Lonsdale had.

I just had this in the Robusto 2 days in a row. I will still say that the Lonsdale was my favorite so far. I still have a Toro, torpedo and a couple more robustos hanging around. This wasnt a bad cigar, but wasnt great either. This had a few months of rest. It really seemed that this cigar was out of balance. It was trying to showcase the smooth light CT wrapper, but was a med/full cigar.
  • Options
    Guillermo Leon
    Gran Corona 6x47
    Wrapper: Ecuadorian Habana
    Binder: Double Corojo & Camaroon
    Filler: DR, Peru, Nic, Brazil

This cigar looks fantastic! Medium to dark brown, fairly oily.
    Triple cap is well past the shoulder. No chance of this cigar unravelling upon cutting!

Cut provides no issues.
    The light appears to have a gap in the filler after lighting.
    This concerns me, but doesnt appear to pose a problem off the bat.

1st few puffs and inch. Flavors are developing to be nicely aged tobacco. Some light pepper and some sweetness along with the musty aged tobacco flavor.
    At almost an inch sharp the pepper totally fades away and a sweet almond flavor comes to the forefront.
    The burn was very wavy, but never needed a corrective light.

At this point I am really liking this cigar. Unfortunately at about 1.5 inches in the flavors take a dramatic turn to a bitter/ammonia flavor. I try to work through it for another 1/2 inch to an inch, but cannot shake it. It may have only been there for a puff or two , but I could taste it for a while afterlonger.

I wished that I let this one age/rest for a while longer. I will revisit this one again, just not sure when.

• Options
    Tatuaje VI Nobles
    5x50
    Rolled by DPG
    Wrapper - NIC
    Binder - NIC
    Filler - NIC

Been in Cholmes humi since 5/1/10 and was gifted to me somewhere in between then and now.
    Smoked 10/13/10

Im not sure how long this was in someones Humi before Cholmes got it in a trade/bomb, but the cello is somewhere between yellow and brown.

This cigar is a nice oily milk chocolate brown. minimal veins and a perfect triple cap. Well above the shoulder.

I cut this with a backup cutter. I end up with a perfect snip.
    I light with matches. It takes 3 to fully light.

First few puffs are of aged tobacco and the typical pepper from DPG blends.

After about the 1st inch the pepper moves to the finish and a smooth earthy aged tobacco flavor moves to the front.

Through the nose it is a little spicy and really flavorful aged tobacco

The cigar isnt very complex. It is pretty much the same from after the 1st inch to the end.
    Not bad, but not complex.
    I will say that I had a burn issue pretty much from about the half way point to the end that needed multiple touch ups.

I smoked this to about thed band, then the cigar got fairly squishy & moist. Not nubbed, but not chucked prematurely.

So I will say that this cigar is good and I recomend it, but if you are looking for 5-10 different flavors from a cigar I dont think this is it. I likied this cigar, but really liked it in the Angeles size much much better.

Happy smoking

• Options
    LFD Airbender - Maestro
    5.5x52
    Wrapper: Ecuadorian Habano
    Binder: Dominica
    Filler Dominica

Prelight:
    I got a box of these cigars about a month ago, so Im just on the cusp of my mandatory waiting time.
    I figured I was safe busting one out.
    The cigar is really a dark chocolate brown, very toothy and oily. veins are very visible, but not really pronounced.
    The cigar is heavy in the hand and really firmly packed. It almost feels like holding a small lead pipe!
    The aroma is smooth barnyard tobacco w a little hint of cocoa. The cold draw is fairly complex with Sweet & Hot pepper zing along with a bitter dark chocolate flavor in there also.
    Really looking forward to lighting this one up.

Light:
    I hit it with my single flame torch and it runs out about 1/2 way through the light.

2nd time this lighter has done this to me in the last month or so and the last time someone was there to bail me out. This time I was solo - so off to the matches

It was a bit windy and I couldnt get a light with the matches, so I went with backup #3 the bic.

1st Third:
    Cigar smashes you in the face with pepper off the bat. It was also a bit ashy and bitter.
    (I attribute this to me botching the light as it was way off center and one side was buring or lit WAY faster than another side).
    So the pepper coats your pallet like caramel on a candy apple. It is like a blast and subsides after the 1st few puffs.
    The strength on this is FUll FULL by my standards, but im a lightweight.
    After the 1st inch the lighting problem evens itself out to a razor straight burn line - AMAZING!
    Cigar is producing CLOUDS of cobalt colored smoke! Very tasty! The first third goes from Pepper to tasty to earth / bland.

2nd Third
    Smoke output is fabulous. Flavors around the 1/2 way point really pickup and the cigar settles down to a medium - Medium full. I am feeling it, but not like in the 1st inch. Flavors settle down to a nice bitter dark chocolate(Good bitter, not bad bitter) and a heavy flavor I cannot put my finger on. I have had the AB befor and know that on the others I have had the last half/third is the best!

last third
    I am just into the last third and my analogy is that the flavors are taking off like a rocket ship. Then I get the call to go backto work. Im on lunch, but I have to be flexible where I work. I take a couple more puffs and have to chuck it!

I think that this is a good to great cigar. They can be had at a reasonable price (I got these for under $5 a stick). I am going to put a 5er away to age for at least a year and see how they do. I traded 10 away and will smoke the remaining 4 here and there!

I hope you guys enjoy!
  • Options
    Garen BGaren B Posts: 977
    That's a damn shame you had to chuck the last third, I smoked that stick to the finger burning nub.
  • Options
    JDN Antano 1970 - Gran Consul
    4.7 x 60

Would be a jawbreaker, but its got a torpedo head, cut off as much as you like.

Nicaraguan Puro

Prelight:
    Cigar looks odd, short and fat w a tapered head. Almost like a little tuna!
    The cigar is uniform brown, somewhat dark, but not maduro dark. Not very oily, no tooth to speak of.
    There are some veins, but they arent pronounced at all. The roll is really firm and nearly perfed except for a fold at one of the seam line turns near the band.

I clip the torpedo head and give it a cold draw. It is significantly tighter than I am wanting so I hit it agian. repeat, still too tight. Clip it again.

Now it has a firm draw, just a bit too tight for my liking but Im afraid to taketh any more off. There is a nice aged tobacco flavor with a nice mild pepper spice on the cold draw(s).

Light:
    Of course I have lighter problems again! This time with my triple flame lighter. I just filled it, but two of the jets are having issues.
    Cleaning time me thinks! I get a nearly perfect light despite only working with 1 to 1.5 to 2 out of the three jet flames on my lighter.

1st Third:
    The first puffs are a bit harsh.
    There is a light pepper that coats the pallet and give a little bit of zing on the tongue. After the first few puffs this really settles down to a smooth aged tobacco.
    On the retro hale (throught the nose) the tobacco flavors are fabulous with a little pepper on the finish.
    If you put too much through the nose it became real spicy and almost too much to handle.

The remaining two thirds are pretty much the same! Not too complex, but hey if the flavors are good/great who needs complexity.

Last third:
    right about the point this hit the band it became a little hot and bitter (prolly cuz I was smoking a little fast combined with the 60 Ring Guage).

I chucked it at this point; BUT I will say I was not dissapointed at all (even though I could have got another 15-20 Min out of it) The 1:15 that I did smoke this for was GREAT!

In summation I would say that this cigar is totally a poor mans VSG or you could say it was a VSG with a little more pepper.

I think this cigar will be an All star with 1-2 years on it in the Humi. Im not sure I can wait that long as it can also be an every day player!!!!

LOVE IT

• Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    i too love this cigar. JdN is moving up in my top ten brands as well.
  • Options
    kuzi16:
    Yeah, I have been smoking several of these a week for some time now.
  • Options
    laker1963:
    kuzi16:
    Yeah, I have been smoking several of these a week for some time now.
    Cholmes has been on me for about 6 months to try these out. About 3 months ago we splith a 10 pack. Ive been sitting on them since, I wish I broke this one out earlier!!!!
  • Options
    Something worth noting on this cigar! I never ashed it! I could have done a Antano stand with this cigar! Too bad the cam on my phone is BUSTED!
  • Options
    That is something which is consistent from stick to stick too. Rock hard solid ash. Have you tried the Celebrations yet? I keep meaning to and then I order other sticks and forget these. May have to throw a few into an order this week along with some of those San Lotanos.
  • Options

Ok,
    So Ive taken and Ashton ESG out of my humi about 5-6 times in the last month to smoke!
    This is my kids 5th Bday celebratory smoke (their Bday was a month ago!)
    Ive taken it out and planned on smoking it.
    Every time for one reason or another, I havent lit it up!

Last night I was at a party and had a few too many beers and really wasnt up for a cigar at that point!
    other times Ive been rareing to go and got distracted or interrupted!

DAMMIT I WANT TO SMOKE THIS CIGAR!
    Maybe tomorrow! Its in my herfador right now, gotta go put it back in the humi!

• Options

Don Pepin Garcia JJ Maduro
    Selectos (Robusto) 5x50
    Nicaraguan Puro

In humi approx 6 months +/- a month.

The Look: (Sorry, no pics, camera phone is busted with no end in sight for a fix).

I take this out of the cello, which is slightly tainted yellow.
    The cigar is a nice uniform dark brown, almost black.
    Not very oily, almost dry.
    The veins are almost invisible. The seams on the roll are barely visible.
    The triple cap is PERFECT!.

Prelight:
    Clip just a bit off the cap and feel it is a perfect Xi2 cut.
    Cold draw is really loose - worriesome loose....
    Cold draw has some dark flavors along with sweet tobacco.

The light:
    It takes a bit to light this one up, as I dont feel the center is getting any flame - almost feels light it is lighting hollow - Im worried.

1st Third:
    The draw is SUPER LOOSE and Im not getting much smoke. flavors are really muted at this point.

I feel like I have to draw and draw to keep/get this going......

about 1/2 way through the 1st third (try that one on for size math majors!)...
    At this point the draw 'catches' and the smoke output really picks up!

I wasnt having fun with this cigar up to this point.
    At this point the flavors really pick up too. Flavors of earth, cocoa and sweet tobacco.
    Totally PEPPERY through the retrohale in typical DPG fashion.
    1st Third is a mixed bag at this point. Some good flavors, some not so good.
    Burn is a bit wavy through the 1st third but doesnt require any touch ups.

2nd Third:
    Ok, the Muted flavors of the 1st third really POP here in the 2nd third.
    Totally clear earthy flavors, coffee, cocoa and Sweet Sweet Tobacco! This is turning into a really nice Maduro! Pepper is totally gone on the
    retrohale and the additional flavors on the retrohale are totally funy, tasty and welcomed!
    Burn line on the 2nd third is totally razor sharp.

Final Third:
    1st Ash was tapped shortly before hitting the final third.
    Cigar develops a burn problem (one side not catching up.)
    A few more puffs in and it becomes clear that this is going to need a touch up.
    Hit it w the torch and as expected get a few puffs that are totally bitter.
    After this touch up the burn line returns to being razor sharp.

The Verdict:
    Im finding myself lately leaning away from Maduro's more and more.
    I like them, just dont love them.
    I think that its more the coating aftertaste that I dont like of a maduro than of other cigars.

This is a totally solid cigar and can be had at a decent price.
    MSRP is $8.81, but these can be found for $4-5 on certain deals.

It smoked well and had some decent flavors. For my Money, I would totally prefer the regular JJ line and totally would spend the extra couple $$ for a My Father.

• Options
    I hadnt had a cigar for about a month and had a lineup rareing go go until I got a headcold that lasted for about two weeks.

I had a couple of cigars this week to try and quickly build up my tolerance for a herf in Boston this weekend.

I smoked the following cigar at Gloucester St. Cigar Company with a few friends.
    I was mainly talking and socializing and didnt really take any notes, but here goes from memory.

Tatuaje 7th Reserva
    5 5/8 X 46 Wrapper: Nic Corojo
    Filler & Binder - Nic

The Look:
    Cigar has a nice attractive black and copper double band.
    Triple cap appears flawless.
    wrapper is a nice toothy dark brown that is very uniform in color, good amount of veins and invisible seams.

Prelight:
    Cut with a V cut - not my preferred, but they have one at the shop so I thought Id give it a go.
    --V cut leaves a little more loose tobacco and wrapper destruction than I would typically prefer but the draw is perfect.
    Cold draw has some flavors of smooth aged tobacco and tea.
    Paired with Water

Overalll Profile:
    Im not going to really break this down into thirds as I wansnt really paying attention to the flavor transitions.
    But I will say this, this cigar is very complex lots of good flavors of aged tobacco and various spices.

What I will mention about the transition is that the 1st half of the cigar is firmly medium and reall builds in strenght throughout the cigar. I was fairly looped at the end, but thats cuz I havent really been smoking too much lately.

Burn was nearly flawless, it got Wonky for about 1/4 inch there around the band area, but really didnt require any attention.

I smoked this puppy to the nub and stumbled to go make a cup of coffee afterward.

(Side note - I smoked this was aslo watching the Seattle - NO game! WHAT A GAME!!!!))))

• Options
    Viaje WLP
    5 5/8 X 46
    Corona Extra
    Paired with Water
    (I had a coffee going too, but cleared w water before for the tasting)
    Color is a uniform brown no spots.
    Nearly invisible seams
    Veins are minimal except for the MAIN VEIN which is fairly prominent.
    This cigar has a neat closed foot.

Cigar appears to be well made with no soft spots or hard plugs.

Cut with a Xicar
    -Cut was clean, but the cap and loose tobacco kinda exploded when I cut.
    -Didnt prove to be a problem at all. Didnt get any loose bits in my mouth.

Cold Draw

Cold draw is of sweet tea and a slight spice.
    --I wrote down sweet tea, but Im thinking it maybe a dry black tea.
    Draw is fairly loose.

Cigar lights smoothly and evenly

First few puffs are of a dry black tea and slight spice.
    There is a realy hot spice on the retrohale - For me - Think Cayenne.
    Popped a burn hole right through my sinus.

Smoke is volumonous, hot and dry.
    Aftertaste is a hot pepper spice.
    1st ash falls at 1/4 inch and falls every 1/8th to 1/4 inch thereafter - a Few in my Lap.

(Let me interject here, there is a guy in G. St. yapping at me that I shouldnt be smoking this cigar, it needs to rest and has all these problems... blah blah blah...I would like to say it didnt interfere with my review, but no guarantees).....

Burn gets a little wonky and the ash continues to fall in small clumps in the second third.

Flavors are approximately the same.
    Power starts picking up a little bit.
    Pepper on the retro hale settles down and is more of a pepper spice, than a hot pepper spice.

So the tobacco is definately aged and has some great flavors.

The burn continues to be odd and needs a couple corrective lights in the 2nd half.

Cigar was very enjoyable, despite its flaws.
    I put it down with about an inch left.
    Smoke time 1 hour 15 minutes.