Home General Discussion
Options

Whatcha smokin tonight?

Comments

• Options
    PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    Well I haven't been on here much lately due to having other things on the plate and I haven't really smoked much either. Had a Sol Cubano Cubin Cabinet in the toro size and it was a great smoke! I'm hoping to have a few good smokes this week because I start 4 days off tomorrow so everyone keep your fingers crossed for me! Got a CAO Lx2 I'm really ready to try!!!
  • Options
    urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    Welcome back, Puro!

That lancero MM is one of my faves, bbc.
  • Options
    bbc020bbc020 Posts: 1,422
    thanks urbs, I'll have to give it a try too.
  • Options
    LukoLuko Posts: 2,003 ✭✭
    Most recently had a RP Meritage...loved it. Run, don't walk, to get one.
  • Options
    tshawtshaw Posts: 178
    well gentleman, I haven't really posted on here to often, but as I myself drawn deeper into the pleasant world of cigars, I find myself wanting to participate more on these forums. I just finished off a CAO Brazillia Box Press after a rough night, and while I have had a Brazillia before, I came to the conclusion that the box press was a much more enjoyable version of the smoke. With my still novice palate I detected the same flavor profiles in the other sizes of the Brazillia, but the draw on this was one was truly amazing, towards the end it started to become a tad spicier then the last I remember having but that might be attributed to my drawing faster, which I might well have been doing. All and all, as cigars usually do, it smoothed the rough edges of the night and reminded me of why I love smoking (even in the rainy conditions D.C. is experiencing right now) and gave me a good hour and half relaxtion period to reflect. I have noticed, and please tell me if this is just me or if this is true, that the construction of a box press seems to be, the majority of the time, superior and the ash holds like a champ. I thought about this as I was smoking my last box press, a R&J viejo and confirmed that suspision tonight. I took a picture of the viejo last time because the ash held for almost 3/4 the cigar which was the longest of any cigar I have yet to smoke :).

- Thomas
  • Options
    Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
    bbc020:
    I am finishing up tonight with a RP Fusion MM that was supplied by Jet in a trade. First time with this cigar and is quite pleasant. Nice maduro flavors without a single burn issue. I appreciate the smoke Vinny.

Glad you enjoyed it buddy! If you get a chance give the Gurkha Double Maduro a try, if you can find em. Havent been smoking much lately, combination of work schedule and 11 degree temps. I did get in your La Gloria Cubana yesterday though. Great smoke! I'm going to order a few as an everyday smoke, great flavor and lots of smoke.

I do have two weeks off coming up and have been c-bidding like crazy. Got a lot of smoking to catch up on!
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    rwheelwright:
    I smoked a Anejo Shark tonight. Was not really happy with it at all. It kept going out and I had to keep correcting the burn. Also, the taste was just OK. I like the torpedo better.

Speaking of Anejos, I went to a local B&M today in the next town. Really small place. More of a convenience store with a small walk in humidor. I went in looking for Anejos. They had the #50's and either the #48 or #49, I didn't look at the box. I got the 55's for $14.95 each and the others for $18.95. I bought 4 55' and 2 of the others. The guy was telling me that he had a box of the #77s but they sold out in less than a week and I had just missed them. Since I am not that happy with them, I'm cool with not being able to get a few. I have two more from my last purchase that I will age and see if they get better. I read somewhere that this years inventory is not as good as last years. Anyways, the guy asked me what I would pay online and he was amazed. He said that he doesn't discount. That is what he sells them for. He also had the Hemingway Maduro Classics for $14.95. Since I have some already I didn't get any.
    One thing I found since I started really smoking cigars is that consistency isn't a huge concern. It would be nice, as I hate paying 15 or more for cigars only later to find out that they weren't as good as a previous year.. =(
  • Options
    cubbychubbycubbychubby Posts: 29
    I had oral sugrery today, and my doc tells me that during my recovery I can't drink for a week, and can't smoke cigars for 6 weeks. Guess I'll be takin' a breather for a while !
  • Options
    Follow those instructions, cubby. Dry socket is not joke. Your stogies will only get better while you heal up.
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Early today was a Romeo y Julieta Reserva Real robusto. This is a good early day cigar, not full flavored, mild in strength, but an overall decent and dependable stick all the same. That was it for me, as the weather just got progressively worse all day long.
  • Options
    rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    Didn;t smoke today. That Anejo killed me last night. Where I was sitting, when I would blow the smoke away from me it came right back. I needed a day off. May smoke tomorrow though.
  • Options
    madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    I wanted to smoke a G.A.R that Ronnie sent me in the pass but it was raining, STILL. I smoked a short story at lunch, thats been about it for my cigar enjoyment since Saturday.
  • Options
    gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    i've smoked a couple sharks and a couple #55 torpedo's in the last 2 weeks-my local b&m didn't put any limits on them. I was really impressed with both but did not see a huge diff in the 55's to the 77's but thouroughly enjoyed both. no burn issues and i have some of both resting until spring-may pick up a coupl more 55's if still in tommorrow to smoke next month or so. first time i've had the anejo's so i can't really compare to any other year.and oh yea almost forgot smoked an isla del sol robusto today-only one of the day as it rained almost non-stop.
  • Options
    Sol Cubano Sumatra.

I like these medium sticks. Sometimes, I will smoke a Maduro after a meal.
  • Options
    SacNick:
    Sol Cubano Sumatra.

I like these medium sticks. Sometimes, I will smoke a Maduro after a meal.
    You and I would get along. Those are my fave everydays.
  • Options
    I think I'm going to smoke the ghost cigar tonight. The cigar that does not exist.
  • Options
    I had a Partagas Serie S Perfecto today. When I first got these, I gave someout to friends who really liked them and I really liked them too. I've had them since July 2007. The last two that I have had got really bitter by the middle and where a little hard on the draw. I'm just curious as to why they are all of a sudden not as good. I don't think a year and a half would make them bitter, maybe more mellow but not bitter. Also, the one I had today started coming unwrapped. These have been stored between 60% and 65%. Maybe I need to move them to another humidor to see if they get better.
  • Options
    Yeah, those sound like classic symptoms of dry cigars, wheelz. I'd bump 'em up for a few weeks and see if they get better.
  • Options
    Tonight was a Perdomo ESV '91 second, the epicure size. I really like this cigar, it has the creamy qualities that I like in a Connecticut wrapped cigar with a stronger, more flavorful blend. Of the ones I've smoked, the only thing I've noted that is even close to second quality is some color variations in the wrapper and a fairly lose draw, but then again a lot of Perdomo cigars I've had have loose draws, so that is just par for the course with them. All in all though, I think this is a pretty excellent cigar, and being able to buy them as a second for a fraction of the price with no quality lost just makes it that much better.
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    LX2 which wasn't that great. Not much if any flavor, just strong and peppery.
  • Options
    Bummer about the LX-2, I was looking forward to that one. Now I'll be sure to only buy one or two to try instead of a five pack.
  • Options
    Coincidentally, and on j0z3r's recommendation, I just finished an ESV 91 second, myself. He's right. These are deelish. Good call, Joe.
  • Options
    phobicsquirrel:
    LX2 which wasn't that great. Not much if any flavor, just strong and peppery.
    Told ya.
  • Options
    urbino:
    Yeah, those sound like classic symptoms of dry cigars, wheelz. I'd bump 'em up for a few weeks and see if they get better.
    I moved them into a different humidor that is running much higher as soon as I got home. So, we'll see. Thanks brother!
  • Options
    How high is "much higher"? I'm no expert on this, but I don't think you want to take them out of a 60-65 environment and drop them in a 70-75 environment. Too much risk of splitting the wrapper. I'd put them in something in the 65-70 range.
  • Options
    Agreed, I'd go no higher than 70.

Glad to hear you enjoyed the Perdomo ESV urby. Knowing where my tastes and yours are similar led me to think it would be one you'd enjoy. I try my best to make good recommendations, so I'm happy to know I was on the right track with that one.

I decided to go out for one more tonight, a Rocky Patel Edge corojo toro. Since I was freezing my butt off and still managed to nub this one, I can't help but figure I liked it. True to all the Rp cigars I've had, this one had a near perfect burn and a great draw, the flavors were good if perhaps a bit difficult to pick up on, I liked the underlying spice that was present throughout. Definitely one I'm putting on my list to revisit.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    today was a sancho panza extra fuerte..... yummy
  • Options
    j0z3r:
    Agreed, I'd go no higher than 70.

Glad to hear you enjoyed the Perdomo ESV urby. Knowing where my tastes and yours are similar led me to think it would be one you'd enjoy. I try my best to make good recommendations, so I'm happy to know I was on the right track with that one.
    You certainly were.

I just had a Camacho '62 churchill that doody sent me a while back -- the first I've had in this size. Very good. So now I've had very good experiences with the perfecto and the churchill, but not so good with the robusto. May be time to try that one again. Hmmmm.
  • Options
    bbc020bbc020 Posts: 1,422
    I had a La Aurora Preferido Robusto earlier this evening. Was a wonderful smoke once again, the burn was simply impeccable. Glad I have a couple more of these.
  • Options
    tshawtshaw Posts: 178
    nothing today, gonna hold off til' saturday, its gonn hurt :(