Home Non Cigar Related

Support Your Team!

Comments

• PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    Yes yes it's almost time!!! I'll be off work tomorrow and sitting at home relaxing and watchin the big conf. games and having a GOOD time! I am pulling for the Cards myself and I look forward to watching them beat the S**T out of the Guls!

I don't know what you guys think, but I was a bit suprised by Tampa Bay dropping John (Chucky) Gruden! I really didn't see that one coming but in a way I can't blame them. He did take them to the Super Bowl, but after one trip in 7 years maybe it was time to move on, although I do like the guy. I'm sure he will find another spot soon and I hope he does a great job. Also the Cowboys dropped their Defensive Cor. and Special teams coach so far... It could shape up to be an interesting off season for all of football!
  • LukoLuko Posts: 2,003 ✭✭
    In my house, we view the conference championships as better than the Super Bowl in this case. It seems like years the Super Bowl fails to live up to the hype, and the conference champsionships have produced some awesome games over the years. Plus, they're still played at the higher seed's home field, so that can make it great watching games in all types of weather.

So I'm thinking the Cards win the first one, but I'm nervous about the Steelers...too many people picking them. Still, I'll bet this ends up being an awesome game and hopefully the Steelers pull it out in a squeaker.

If they do, I think my victory smoke is an OpusX.
    I'm not sure what my post games smoke will be... But I'm thinking about either a Graycliff 1666 or Gurkha Legend... Possibly my Tatuaje Lancero.
    PuroFreak:
    I'm not sure what my post games smoke will be... But I'm thinking about either a Graycliff 1666 or Gurkha Legend... Possibly my Tatuaje Lancero.
    Actually, you're only allowed to have a post game smoke if your team is still in it...sorry Puro, but no smoking for you unless you admit that the Steelers are you new favorite team. I mean, you can have Tony Chokes-A-Lot, or the qback to win the most games in history over the first five years of his career?
  • urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    Cold, dude. Very cold.
    Luko:
    PuroFreak:
    Actually, you're only allowed to have a post game smoke if your team is still in it...sorry Puro, but no smoking for you unless you admit that the Steelers are you new favorite team. I mean, you can have Tony Chokes-A-Lot, or the qback to win the most games in history over the first five years of his career?
    Or I could pull for the team that will actually win... Like the RAVENS!!! haha Kidding, I really figure the Steelers will win, but I am a true Cowboy fan, not just a fan when they are a winning team. I figure Big Ben will pull it off this weekend but it will be a good close game.
  • dutyjedutyje Posts: 2,263
    Man... Pep gave his notice to the Panthers. Fans haven't been stung this bad since Moose left. Moose is a big reason we put up the record we did this year. Maybe JP will come back after a year or two as well. My wife is still so heartbroken she can't even speak about it. I'm thinking we'll ship him to the Jets, Pats, or Chargers, picking up 1st- and 3rd-round picks in the process.
  • gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947

PuroFreak:
    Yes yes it's almost time!!! I'll be off work tomorrow and sitting at home relaxing and watchin the big conf. games and having a GOOD time! I am pulling for the Cards myself and I look forward to watching them beat the S**T out of the Guls!

I don't know what you guys think, but I was a bit suprised by Tampa Bay dropping John (Chucky) Gruden! I really didn't see that one coming but in a way I can't blame them. He did take them to the Super Bowl, but after one trip in 7 years maybe it was time to move on, although I do like the guy. I'm sure he will find another spot soon and I hope he does a great job. Also the Cowboys dropped their Defensive Cor. and Special teams coach so far... It could shape up to be an interesting off season for all of football!

I firmly believe Gruden never won a superbowl-Tony Dungy did in abstancia (sp) just my opinion

dutyje:
    Man... Pep gave his notice to the Panthers. Fans haven't been stung this bad since Moose left. Moose is a big reason we put up the record we did this year. Maybe JP will come back after a year or two as well. My wife is still so heartbroken she can't even speak about it. I'm thinking we'll ship him to the Jets, Pats, or Chargers, picking up 1st- and 3rd-round picks in the process.
    Well actually he is going to be an unrestricted free agent according to the news I read on it so there won't be any trading for him...
    gmill880:

PuroFreak:

I firmly believe Gruden never won a superbowl-Tony Dungy did in abstancia (sp) just my opinion

True, but he lead the Raiders to the Super Bowl, even though he was with Tampa at the time... Playing the Raiders in the Super Bowl... haha
    dutyje:
    That's a tough one to take, doody. He's been there a looong time -- I wanna say he was even your first big pick in the franchise's first year, but I may have that wrong. Regardless, he's a been a pillar for you guys for a long time. It's hard to see those guys go elsewhere.
    PuroFreak:
    dutyje:
    Well actually he is going to be an unrestricted free agent according to the news I read on it so there won't be any trading for him...
    We're not letting him go for free, there Puro. We'll slap the Franchise tag on him, and we'll have exclusive rights to sign him. Then we'll trade him away to the highest bidder.

Bino.. JP came to Carolina in the draft following our 1-15 season. But I suppose you could call that a re-birth for the Panthers :)
    wasn't collins the first big name draft pick for carolina
  • The nice thing about the Cards doing so well this year is the fact that I have a good chance at getting a rogers-cromartie jersey next season. I'm rocking my fitgerald jersey right now. I can't wait to smoke that gurkha beauty victory cigar tonight!
    Boy, could 2 halves of a football game be any more different than this? First half, Cards just whooped 'em; second half, Eagles are just whoopin' 'em back. Fun game.
  • Definitely good playoff football.
    AMAZING GAME!!! Congrats to the Cards! Glad to see them become a serious football team again!

Now it's time for a tough defensive game!!!
  • I have faith. Not the kind that Kurt Warner has, but faith in the guys that have made it this far against tough odds.
    That last one was a pretty tough defensive game, too. The teams put up some points, but there were a lot of hard knocks dished out. Congrats, Cards!

I was really surprised by how lopsided the guys on CBS's pregame were. Seems like they expect Pittsburgh to just walk off with this one.
    Now maybe edgerrin james can get his own ring
    Ugly game so far. I expected it to be a defensive game, but it's not even being played very crisply. Lotta dumb plays. Lotta sloppiness.
    I hope McGahee's alright.. that was quite a hit.
    urbino:
    Ugly game so far. I expected it to be a defensive game, but it's not even being played very crisply. Lotta dumb plays. Lotta sloppiness.
    Nah...officiating has been horrible all the way around though.
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    dutyje:
    I hope McGahee's alright.. that was quite a hit.
    That was a pretty intense couple minutes of football there, after the Polamalu interception / touchdown, and following big hit, the Ravens seemed deflated. Turning the ball over three times in three minutes.
    Luko:
    urbino:
    Nah...officiating has been horrible all the way around though.
    I'd say that's a "both-and" situation, Luko. Big Ben had a good day, though.

I still think a Cards-Ravens SB would be more fun to watch, but this outcome gives me at least one major satisfaction: Cam Cameron ain't going to the Super Bowl.
    I got a feeling...Pittsburgh's going to the Super Bowl. What an awesome season, we got to watch one of the all-time great defenses shut everybody down. Looks like Troy answered all those Ed Reed vs. Troy Polamalu questions! Should be a great Super Bowl matchup with one of the league's most prolific offenses.
    I disagree that it was sloppy and dumb. As you noted, Ben had a good day. Pittsburgh's D was amazing. Flacco was sloppy, that's about it, I'd say (oh, and Sweed with his TD drop, but he's been dropping balls all year long).

To me, the Steelers are the epitome of what other franchises should try to be about and the Ravens are pretty much everything that it wrong...i.e. Art Modell, criminal element, trash-talking cheap shot artists.
    Oh yeah, and to second what Duty said. Here's to hoping McGahee just had a stinger or something and he's OK. That was a hellacious hit.
    Yes it was. My first thought the instant it happened was, "My God, they're both gonna be paralyzed."
    Luko:
    Looks like Troy answered all those Ed Reed vs. Troy Polamalu questions!
    Don't get carried away with this. I think that the "rookie quarterback vs. veteran quaterback in an Championship" question was answered once again. It's the Ben Roethlisberger rule. You can't come up from college football and lead your team to the Super Bowl as a rookie. At some point, the pressure will get to you, and you will fold, even if your team doesn't depend on you to win games.

Joe Flacco came up out of 1-AA and performed exceptionally well. Remember Ben's first playoff? A lot of similarities there. Watch out for the Ravens in coming years.

In the meantime, I'll be petitioning Barack Obama tomorrow to pardon Jake Delhomme with his first act as President, and set up a re-match between the Cards and the Panthers for the NFC Championship :)