Home Non Cigar Related

MMA Junkies in here

Comments

• ENFIDLENFIDL Posts: 5,836
    I don't get it either. I think part of it was because they couldn't figure out what to do with Machida anyways. Pretty much everybody else was booked to fight or injured. Phil Davis's name kept coming up but with his injuries nobody knew when he was gonna be ready. Not saying I like it I just think it was a way to get both of them to fight in a timely fashion
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Yeah, it's all good, I just want someone to beat Jones, if for no other reason than because Jon needs to get beaten to truly grow as a fighter I think. Nobody wins forever and it would do him some good to be humbled.
  • CvilleECvilleE Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭
    j0z3r:
    Yeah, it's all good, I just want someone to beat Jones, if for no other reason than because Jon needs to get beaten to truly grow as a fighter I think. Nobody wins forever and it would do him some good to be humbled.
    Well The Spider, and GSP has won forever.....looks like its goin the same way in the lightweight division if some of these guys don't man up...hate to put it that way and as pissed as i am about the way Bones represented himself against Rampage, but i don't see him gettin beat for a long time.....ohh by the way Hendo back in the UFC needs to hang around the middle weight division...as much as I love him he's not what he used to be.
    CvilleE:
    j0z3r:
    Well The Spider, and GSP has won forever.....looks like its goin the same way in the lightweight division if some of these guys don't man up...hate to put it that way and as pissed as i am about the way Bones represented himself against Rampage, but i don't see him gettin beat for a long time.....ohh by the way Hendo back in the UFC needs to hang around the middle weight division...as much as I love him he's not what he used to be.
    The weight cut for mw was getting to be too much for him. I think he'll put on better fights at lhw personally
    j0z3r:
    How bout some picks for Edgar Maynard III. The card looks a little something like this.

Frank Edgar v Gray Maynard LW Title
    Jose Aldo v Kenny Florian FW Title
    Chael Sonnen v Brian Stann, probably #1 contender match
    Melvin Guillard v Joe Lauzon
    Demian Maia v Jorge Santiago
    Anthony Pettis v Jeremy Stephens
    Joey Beltran v Stipe Miocic
    Steve Cantwell v Mike Massenzio
    Darren Elkins v Zhang Tie Quan
    Leonard Garcia v Nam Phan
    Eric Schaffer v Aaron Simpson.

I've got:

Edgar
    Aldo
    Sonnen
    Lauzon
    Maia
    Pettis
    Beltran
    Massenzio
    Quan
    Phan
    Simpson.
    Alright guess I need to make my picks since the fights are almost upon us.
    I'll go Edgar (this is really hard for me to pick def f.o.n.)
    Aldo
    Stann
    Guillard
    Maia
    Pettis
    Beltran
    Massenzio
    I don't know enough about either Quan or Elkins so I'll go Quan
    Phan
    Simpson
    CvilleE:
    j0z3r:
    Well The Spider, and GSP has won forever.....looks like its goin the same way in the lightweight division if some of these guys don't man up...hate to put it that way and as pissed as i am about the way Bones represented himself against Rampage, but i don't see him gettin beat for a long time.
    Here's what I was getting at...Anderson Silva and GSP have one thing in common that Bones doesn't have, a legitimate loss on their record. So yes, they are both incredibly dominant, but both know what it's like to taste defeat.
    j0z3r:
    CvilleE:
    j0z3r:
    Well The Spider, and GSP has won forever.....looks like its goin the same way in the lightweight division if some of these guys don't man up...hate to put it that way and as pissed as i am about the way Bones represented himself against Rampage, but i don't see him gettin beat for a long time.
    Here's what I was getting at...Anderson Silva and GSP have one thing in common that Bones doesn't have, a legitimate loss on their record. So yes, they are both incredibly dominant, but both know what it's like to taste defeat.
    Defeat at the hands of someone they should have dominated nonetheless
  • Bobbo2009Bobbo2009 Posts: 915 ✭✭✭
    The fights are just about to start on Facebook, so here are my picks:
    Edgar
    Aldo
    Sonnen
    Guillard
    Maia
    Pettis
    Beltran
    Cantwell
    Zhang
    Phan
    Simpson

It should be a great night of fights. Hopefully I'll be able to catch all of them live. That main event is going to be FOTN and it might even be a fight of the year candidate.

Rob
    ENFIDL:
    j0z3r:
    CvilleE:
    j0z3r:
    True though that may be, the Ryo Chonan flying scissor heelhook was damned impressive.
    j0z3r:
    ENFIDL:
    j0z3r:
    CvilleE:
    j0z3r:
    True though that may be, the Ryo Chonan flying scissor heelhook was damned impressive.
    It really was. No matter how many times I watch it it still blows my mind that he pulled that off.
  • BigT06BigT06 Posts: 3,899
    ENFIDL:
    j0z3r:
    ENFIDL:
    j0z3r:
    CvilleE:
    j0z3r:
    It really was. No matter how many times I watch it it still blows my mind that he pulled that off.
    I taught him that... LMAO!
    Anyone get to check it out yet....pretty good fights. Sonnen made a pretty bold statement after his win. I don't know that he should the rematch with the Spider right away though. Very impressed with Edgar being able to survive the first again and get the knockout.
    I had to follow them online as I was at work. Sounds like some good fights. Sonnen vs Silva needs to happen and Dana already said he's gonna make it happen asap. Questions need to be answered about was Sonnen that good or was Silva that hurt going into that fight. I can't wait to see their rematch. That was pretty bold and Anderson straight hates him esp after those comments about his wife lol Edgar is the man. I wasn't sure what to think of him back when he first came into the UFC and even after the first Penn fight but that guy is a beast!
    That was a great card. Phan got revenge, Sonnen walked the walk (and talked the talk after), Aldo defended his belt against a game Florian...and Edgar, how impressive was that guy? And take nothing away from Maynard, the dude is tough as nails but Edgar is just the better fighter. Truly incredible night of fights.
    Looks like Tim Kennedy is coming to the big show, hope he does well.

So with UFC 137 a couple weeks off, I've got a question for you guys. Is Carlos Condit the man to dethrone GSP? He got off to a rough start in the ufc, but has really gotten his game together in the past couple fights. Having said that, I have a hard time counting GSP out, so I'm going to give a non-comittal answer: if anyone is going to do it in the near future, Condit is that man. Interested to see what you junkies think.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,917
    j0z3r:

So with UFC 137 a couple weeks off, I've got a question for you guys. Is Carlos Condit the man to dethrone GSP? He got off to a rough start in the ufc, but has really gotten his game together in the past couple fights. Having said that, I have a hard time counting GSP out, so I'm going to give a non-comittal answer: if anyone is going to do it in the near future, Condit is that man. Interested to see what you junkies think.
    Condit definitely has the best chance right now. He always surprises me but he's fought no one in GSP caliber. I think GSP is the favorite for sure. And I think he has enough submission sense to not get caught when he's in Condits guard, which I think is his best bet to defeat GSP.
    First off I'm glad Kennedy is movin up in the world, I think he'll bring it, and do very well. He is a beast. Second I don't really know what to say about the St-Pierre vs Condit fight. Its gonna be a ground game, because GSP is crazy good about executing this. I just dream that Condit is as good as his last 3 fights where he dominated. GSP won't want to stand for this one. You guys are right if it is time to test GSP, then the time is now.

To be honest tonight is the first time I have looked at the actual card for this event and I think this is going to be a hell of a show. I've ranted enough for now but what do u guys think about the rest of the card?

Main Card
    St-Pierre vs Condit
    Penn vs Diaz
    Kongo vs Mitrione
    Cro Cop vs Nelson
    Hioki vs Roop

Prelims
    Siver vs Cerrone
    Griffin vs Palaszewski
    Tavares vs Jacoby
    Jorgensen vs Curran
    Vera vs Marshall
    Nijem vs Downes
    Camozzi vs Carmont
    j0z3r:

I love Tim Kennedy and am so pumped he's coming to the UFC. Dude is a stud and a great guy too. As far as Condit goes. I think he could. The way he's been fighting it's hard for me to say he doesn't have an honest chance of dethroning GSP. With that though until GSP gives us a reason to pick against him I don't think I can. GSP has been so dominant it's hard to imagine a scenario where he doesn't but Condit has all the right tools to be able to beat him
    james40:
    j0z3r:

Condit definitely has the best chance right now. He always surprises me but he's fought no one in GSP caliber. I think GSP is the favorite for sure. And I think he has enough submission sense to not get caught when he's in Condits guard, which I think is his best bet to defeat GSP.
    Interesting thought. I think Condit's best way to win is his stand-up, his muay Thai is awesome and he's explosive enough that he could tko GSP. The major caveat there is that he must keep the fight standing.
    j0z3r:
    james40:
    j0z3r:

Interesting thought. I think Condit's best way to win is his stand-up, his muay Thai is awesome and he's explosive enough that he could tko GSP. The major caveat there is that he must keep the fight standing.
    I hear you bro but this is GSP - he has enough skills to take him standing I think. Then again, what do I know? Either way, should be a good fight.
    james40:
    j0z3r:
    james40:
    j0z3r:

I hear you bro but this is GSP - he has enough skills to take him standing I think. Then again, what do I know? Either way, should be a good fight.
    The last time GSP stood with a legit opponent he got knocked out....this will be a ground fight....GSP is too smart not to....
    james40:
    j0z3r:
    james40:
    j0z3r:

That's the beauty of it, you never know. What I want more than anything is for Condit to threaten GSP, and for GSP to feel threatened...he's far too comfortable playing it safe either on the ground or working a jab from the outside. I guess what I'm trying to say is I want to see the best GSP ever, win, lose or draw.
    j0z3r:
    james40:
    j0z3r:
    james40:
    j0z3r:

That's the beauty of it, you never know. What I want more than anything is for Condit to threaten GSP, and for GSP to feel threatened...he's far too comfortable playing it safe either on the ground or working a jab from the outside. I guess what I'm trying to say is I want to see the best GSP ever, win, lose or draw.
    Right there with you guys. Remember the second GSP/Hughes fight? You could see it before it started. I agree, GSP needs some fear and Condit can do it. I still want GSP to take him. I might have to buy this one and watch it live.
    I guess we jinxed it guys, GSP is out with a knee injury. That's too bad, I was really looking forward to that fight. Now potentially BJ and Diaz will be main eventing.
  • Bobbo2009Bobbo2009 Posts: 915 ✭✭✭
    j0z3r:
    I guess we jinxed it guys, GSP is out with a knee injury. That's too bad, I was really looking forward to that fight. Now potentially BJ and Diaz will be main eventing.

I read about this about 2 hours ago. I am really bummed. I was really looking forward to that fight. I'll still get the PPV, but it is a let down that the main event had to be canceled. From what I read the BJ Pen v Diaz fight is now the main event. Since it was signed as a 3 rounder, it will stay a 3 rounder (most main events that are non-title now are going to 5 rounders). I wonder what fight will get bumped to the main card. It should still be a night of good fights though. Hopefully GSP will be able to recover quick. Dana White said they want Condit to sit on the bench and wait for his title shot if GSP has a quick recovery.

Rob
    As I understand it Rob, Jorgensen Curran is getting bumped to the ppv card. Can't complain about that, I enjoy watching Jorgensen fight anyone not named Dominick Cruz. I'm just hoping BJ and Nick put on a main event worthy fight, I don't have a horse in this race, so I'm just hoping it's good. I wouldn't hate seeing it go five rounds, just don't know if Penn's cardio would be there for five with him training for three and all.
    Well I'm glad to hear Condit's shot is getting preserved. Hate hearing about GSP's injury. Dana confirmed that it'll be a 3 rounder between BJ and Nick which I'm with Joe. I don't think BJ going for 5 rounds on short notice would be pretty....lol
    So apparently Brad Tavares v Dustin Jacoby was promoted to the main card...Why? There are two much more interesting fights with much more relevant fighters, the aforementioned Scott Jorgensen fight, or the Denis Siver Cowboy Cerrone fight. I don't get it. Speaking of 137, I had completely forgotten about the Mitrione Kongo fight, which by the way has been promoted to co-main...should be interesting, Mitrione has impressed me with his quick learning curve and a fight with a veteran in Kongo should tell a lot about where he's at, I think he can take Kongo out personally.
    Wow I didn't see which one got pushed up but Tavares vs Jacoby...really? I was hoping the Siver vs Cerrone fight would get the bump up personally. I love watching Cerrone fight. I think Mitrione vs Kongo should be a great fight. It'll show us if Matt's a contender or just a mid-lower tier hw. He's impressed me as well with just how quickly he's improved and how many new skills he shows fight to fight. I think he'll take Kongo by decision