Home Ratings & Reviews

Irish Reviews, Amateur Only

90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
So since I have finally started to get a palate that is picking up some of the finer notes and being asked by a few people what my tasting on certain sticks has been I figured I would go ahead and load up a VERY amateur review thread. This is mostly for those of us that either ARE noobs, or are growing out of it in terms of taste and knowledge. Once again these are just my notes, and my opinions.... and you know what they say about opinions ;) So here goes!
"When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."

Comments

• 90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So I am doing this review because CvilleE was most generous to gift me a few of these delicious bad boys to try and send him my notes from it. This is a shade-grown Connie Wrapper with Dominican filler that is actually an overrun rolled 11 years ago and recently re-banded to sell. I did not have a working camera that day so the picture I am providing is from a website and not one I took.

Light Up Time: 11:15 am

So here are my tasting notes on the Cruzero:

Started off a little light and slightly toasty, then about a half inch in it started to build in body and went from an ultra mild to now a mild+ with notes of cedar, light leather and some toasted marshmallow and vanilla with some caramel on the retro.

At about 2 inches in it picked a little spice and a very mild white pepper on the retro, the body added a small fresh cut hay flavor that rounded it out really well, and a tinge of oak. The burn at pretty darned sharp, but the draw is a little tight Construction wise, the first ash help for just over 2 inches and I was very impressed with it, the wrapper is a little delicate but I'm used to that with Connecticut shade grown wrappers.

About the halfway point, a creamy heavy cream flavor has started to develop that highlights the marshmallow and vanilla. The smoke gets a richer and thicker texture, and the pepper dies down with a caramelized character starts to build.

About an inch later some almond comes in in a big way that sweetens it up, and the cedar compliments it well. A twinge of mesquite adds to it on the finish and rounds it out.

The last third makes a dramatic change, the heavy cream becomes much more prominent and a slight syrupy sweetness comes out and mixes with a smoky white oak flavor that creates the best balance yet between body and flavor yet in this cigar, really diggin' it now in a big way! The spice gets slightly more intense, while the pepper takes a back seat to what it was earlier.

Right before it hits the band the body jumps up to a medium, and the main flavor becomes a vanilla cream with thicker more chewy smoke. Leather starts to build and the smoky oak becomes more prominent on the retro, honestly very enjoyable.

The final nub gets a little hot and peppery, but still sweet and creamy.

Total smoke time, 2 hrs 15 min.

Final Impression:
    I'm not going to do a score breakdown, at least at the moment. I will for a time, rate them simply as 1-5 Tobacco Leaves. 1 being horrible, and 5 being outta this world.
    This was a Connie stick... not something I normally go for since I like a very large bodied and large presence stick, however this was very slow burning and actually made me stop and take notice of what it was doing. For being such a mild stick it had a lot of character and went through several changes... something rare IMO for most of the Connie's I've smoked. OVerall I really enjoyed this stick and was glad that I had it earlier than later in the day.

4 Tobacco Leaves
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • Steve2010Steve2010 Posts: 1,036
    From one amateur to another, thanks for sharing!
    No problem brother, glad you enjoyed it! I'm also looking for feedback on how the make it either a better review, easier to read/comprehend, or important things to you that you would like in future reviews... please give me feedback brothers I am doing this for you guys and to help improve myself so I need your opinions!
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    dont do reviews so that others understand it or like it. do reviews so YOU understand it and like it.
  • Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    Great review, and I looove a good mild connie, but they are a rare find, indeed! You definitely just put this on my to-do list!
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
    90+ Irishman:
    No problem brother, glad you enjoyed it! I'm also looking for feedback on how the make it either a better review, easier to read/comprehend, or important things to you that you would like in future reviews... please give me feedback brothers I am doing this for you guys and to help improve myself so I need your opinions!
    //////// Like Kuzi said, your review should reflect you and your personality. I for one, hate the copy and paste reviews in CA. When I review a stick, I try to put some of me into it. Check out my Gurkha Crest review for an example. Have fun and long ashes.
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    While the Cruzero is a cigar that never caught my interest, your review made me thing I may be missing out here. It's on my list of new to me, must try.
    While in many ways I agree with it being for and about me, I put myself in any of my reviews regardless so I never thought about that before, thanks for bringing it up though :) as for why I asked for what others would like, when I read a review there are certain things I look for, and in writing mine I wish to help out others as well. That's all really, I will always do it for myself and have my personality in there but I also wish to help out fellow brothers as well.
  • robbyrasrobbyras Posts: 5,487
    Nice work BRO! this is a stick I never would have even thought about, but I like a good connie... and as Ken said, they're are hard to find... Keep them coming!
  • BigT06BigT06 Posts: 3,899
    Nice review, Irish.

you know what would be cool... if you could find a pic of a tobacco leaf you could do the rating with, kinda like people do with stars... that would be sweet.
    Thanks a buch brothers the input is greatly appreciated. Got two sticks reviewed this morning and I will post up the notes late tonight after work around midnight. Stick 1 was La Aurora Maduro and stick 2 was the AB Maxx Brazil. Notes to follow soon and got the camera to work so pics as well
  • amz1301amz1301 Posts: 1,299
    Nice review man. Sounds like this would make a good golf course smoke, plus easy on the wallet to pass out to your mooching buddies. Which size was that, the one they call "Neptune" ?
    LA AURORA MADURO ROBUSTO image

Construction: Slight box press with 2 predominate veins. The wrapper has a leathery aspect to it and there is a slight “crystallization” starting on the wrapper. No soft spots and a bit of a springy feel to the pinch.

Pre-Light: The smell was hay and barnyard with a hint of cedar and honey.
    Taste: The lick was somewhat sour/salty but not necessarily in a bad way.
    Cut: I used my Xi cutter and when cut the draw was perfect, just a very slight resistance to the pull which I like.

image First Light and 1st Quarter:
    I got a slight peppery blast at first that wasn’t all that enjoyable, but the smoke was light and cool with a little bit of hay and young leather that within a few minutes develops into spice and quickly LESS pepper which was welcomed. The retrohale gives what I can only describe as salted-caramel, hazelnut, and some spice with a cocoa aftertaste that lingers a little. After about a half inch honey started to present itself with a more predominate cocoa profile. The smoke is creamy in its texture on the palate but the body of the smoke feels lighter, and an “aged” leather shows up as an aftertaste slightly. At this point the pepper that started as slightly bitter mellows in a white pepper that balances much better. It finally meets what I feel is a balanced flavor around the 1” mark when a smoky tobacco starts to come to the forefront of the taste as well. It’s worth noting that this is very enjoyable and has a great spicy element to it but does NOT have the typical maduro sweetness to it, and in this case alone it works really well! The retrohale develops into a leathery hay and spice combo that sits on the roof of my mouth towards the back of the throat. At the turn into the 2nd quarter the main flavor profile can only be described as a balanced hay and cedar, and it works really well for this stick.

image 2nd Quarter:
    Some vanilla and cream starts to make an appearance and slowly turns into a “sweet-cream” rich and thick flavor with a little bit of that “salt” showing back up that goes well with the cream. The ash drops for the first time on its own at the 1.5” mark and stays dense and white/gray with only a little bit of flaking to it. By now the pepper goes away completely and a sweet spice takes its place 100%. BOUNTIFUL smoke is really developing! image

3rd Quarter:
    The body picks up slightly and goes from a solid medium to MAYBE a very “mild” medium+, the ash holds firm with more of the same flavor profile with a touch more spice and only a slight bitterness returning. Towards the end of this quarter the bitterness is gradually building (due to tar build-up would be my guess) but so far stays balanced due to some notes of damp rich earth and light hay. 4th Qaurter (Nub):
    image The leather that up till now has been more of a hint, becomes much more prominent and slightly chewy, with the white pepper becoming a larger player. The hay basically disappears and a damp earth becomes evident on the retro. The smoke becomes heavier and much chewier, and leads to a clean and strong finish!

Final Thoughts:
    This was actually the first La Aurora I’ve had and it impressed me with the overall construction, quality of the burn, and also the very unique flavors that I was not expecting. It was a really enjoyable smoke and did a great job showing me what this manufacturer might have in store for me and my flavor profile. All in all a solid cigar, but no “WOW” factor.

RATING: 4 Tobacco Leaves
    Great review. If you haven't already, give the La Aurora Perferidos Maduro a whirl. Probably my favorite La Aurora stick.
    Steve2010:
    Great review. If you haven't already, give the La Aurora Perferidos Maduro a whirl. Probably my favorite La Aurora stick.
    Ooooh that sounds delicious! Unfortunately I don't have any and no access to them at the local b&m. If I come across them I will review it on here for you though!
    Good review. Thanks.
  • CvilleECvilleE Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭
    amz1301:
    Nice review man. Sounds like this would make a good golf course smoke, plus easy on the wallet to pass out to your mooching buddies. Which size was that, the one they call "Neptune" ?
    Saturne.....(8.0" x 46).
    AB Maxx Brazil

Appearance: 1 main vein, smooth wrapper, slight marbleization.
    Nose: Slight coco, leather, slight hay.
    Lick: Nutty and leather VERY good.
    Cut Method: Small gauge punch (007).
    Dry Draw: Sweet with hay and caramel.

1st light:

Very cocoa sweet, “heavy” smoke and flavor LOTS of spice, tingles on lips slightly, damp earth and hickory. Average smoke production, slightly tight draw, could be remedied by Xi slice: very thick, creamy smoke … feels like you could chew on it. It is not hot, but “luke” warm smoke that to me is the perfect temp. Ash does NOT hold tight but splits and flakes. No issue with smoke just doesn’t look as good. White and charcoal ash color. Becomes a much more balanced flavor, peanut, caramel, mild hay, and rich milk chocolate … smoothes out BEAUTIFULLY! After 1st: slight tar build up with small gauge punch, so I guillotine cut with Xikar! Ash falls when cut, draw opens up greatly but still has mild resistance.

1st Quarter:

VERY impressed, very balanced smoke/flavor/body … very rich, SMOOTH, creamy chocolate, HAZELNUT, CARAMEL; fantastic flavor. As it develops through the quarter a leather and spice element kicks up and adds a new dimension. One of the smoothest full bodies I’ve had at this point in the stick. Burn becomes razor sharp and the oils start to sweat out as the wrapper with the heat, really enjoyable. Hickory jumps out at me and makes a presentation that surprises you in a good way. A new complexity, I was not expecting.

2nd Quarter:

The spice picks up a LOT and makes this a better smoke for my profile but keeps with the balance and I love it! Soon after a white pepper and leather profile makes an appearance. Enjoyable smoke production suddenly DOUBLES and the ash becomes layered and looks like sandstone. Spicier with oak/cedar and leather. TONS more leather, spice, and hickory picks up and makes this a more rounded smoke and flavor and makes it a better stick. 2nd ash falls just before the 2" mark. Smoke is still very cool and thick and rich. Creamy texture to it when in the mouth.

3rd Quarter:

The spiciness picks up but is NOT harsh, leather and cedar become bigger players and the cocoa is only evident on the retro hale. The smoke gets a little warmer and a light bittering develops on the after taste but is getting towards the end of the stick and the tar is building up and I think that is playing a part. Is a very good cigar at this point. Right before the nub, it develops a bittersweet dark chocolate note with oak and a lighter leather. Smoke is still cool while the stick itself is warm. Doing very well as a finish and is VERY good. Surprised and impressed with this is putting it mildly.

4.5 Tobacco leaves! -- Price point helped put to 4.5

Pictures will be edited and added in tomorrow morning!
    Another solid review! I'll have to give one of these a try. Sounds very good!
    BigT06:
    Another solid review! I'll have to give one of these a try. Sounds very good!
    Thanks Todd, I have to say that it was a fantastic smoke for me, and that I was pleasantly surprised! BTW, pics edited posted and up!
  • MarkerMarker Posts: 2,524
    That Maxx brazil sounds great, me being an AB **** not withstanding.
    I've been curious about these as well... the only place I've seen them is in an AB Maxx sampler... are they available on their own?
  • KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    I've only had one of these, but it was really good. I like it more than the regular MAXX line.

"Long ashes my friends."

• The_KidThe_Kid Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭
    robbyras:
    I've been curious about these as well... the only place I've seen them is in an AB Maxx sampler... are they available on their own?
    I have not seen them on their own, I have only seen them from C.Com and the site they share their fullfillment center with.. And only available in sampler packs,,,Now I never contacted the Beard or the Dude directly bout these,,JJ may have more info as I know he's a fan as well.. Its a really good smoke one of the best AB's IMO let me also say the Black Market is as good if not better..** One thing Irishman mentioned and it brought back some memories as its been quite a while since Ive had one is the thick smoke,, i like that characteristic,, So I'll be looking forward to trying the RP royal vintage as well as JJ mentioned that stick produces tons...
    Thanks guys, I'm looking to do another review today if I can sneak it in. I got my Brazil in a Test Flight Sampler that was gifted to me by our very own Uber-Bomber Michaelharvey (Thanks a ton Michael!!) so I do not know how to get it alone.

As for the other review I'm doing I'll take a vote and leave it up to you guys, and the choices are: My Father #4 (Lancero), La Sirena (Corona), or Arturo Fuente Maduro (House Blend Specifically for my b&m) Torpedo size, or Illusione MK. Taking votes till about 1-2pm MST. Thanks brothers.
  • amz1301amz1301 Posts: 1,299
    Illusione MK
  • lonewolf2011lonewolf2011 Posts: 503
    I vote for the MK also.
    I'm gonna buck the trend and vote La Sirena... I'm really curious about this one...
  • MarkerMarker Posts: 2,524
    robbyras:
    I'm gonna buck the trend and vote La Sirena... I'm really curious about this one...
    TheRobbyRas has voted. This is closed.
    Marker:
    robbyras:
    TheRobbyRas has voted. This is closed.
    I'm glad to see people getting on board