Home Non Cigar Related

Knives

docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
So I am hardly an outdoorsman, a prepper, or any kind of enthusiast, but I do always have a pocket knife on me, pretty much all of the time. It is one of those tools I think everyone should have, and know about. It just makes life easier. I work in a damn pharmacy, and I use my knife daily, opening packaging, cutting labels, all kinds of uses. I love my EDC type knives so much that I maybe, might, kind of have a small collection going, and I've even started reading about different steels, customizations, all kinds of craziness. I just got a Spyderco Tenacious today, and am super impressed with it so far. Up until now, my EDC has been a Kershaw Leek, which is a great little assisted opener, not too flashy, but sleek and beautifully designed. The Spyderco knife is a bit bigger, but just feels great in the hand.

Anyone else love their knives?

Comments

• taythegibstaythegibs Posts: 2,025
    for the past 3 years or so ive EDC'd a Sog Flash II with a non-serrated blade. i also have a Kershaw Asset half serrated that i got for a killer deal for after the sog dies or gets lost, but ill probably try to trade it for another SOG because i love the way the blade locks.
  • amz1301amz1301 Posts: 1,299
    My EDC for about the last 2 years. Kershaw Select Fire 1920. They call it a knife based multi-tool. It's a little heavy but I use the driver alot at work. Great little knife / driver if anybody is in the market for that sort of tool.

• I've been carrying an Emerson Mini-Commander for about 4 years now. Worth every penny, if you ask me. Totally utilitarian designed, locks open like a bank vault and easy one-handed opening with the thumb stud or the wave-thingy. Also takes and keeps a great edge, but takes some time to get sharp enough to shave...
  • OchoZachoOchoZacho Posts: 1,471
    Always have this little guy on me. Buddy of mine gave it to me for being in his wedding.

• jr_p951jr_p951 Posts: 1,121
    MTucelli is one to talk to about knives! I do believe he owns his own cutlery business.
  • BigT06BigT06 Posts: 3,899
    My boot knife for my riding boots is a CRKT. I've carried it for about 8 years and it's been awesome since day 1...

Uploaded from the Photobucket Android App

I really like it because it has a tactical case that allows it to hang upside down, or rightside up and it just slides in and out, there's nothing you have to undo or un-snap to get it out, but it never falls out on it's own. It fits snugly.

This is the boot knife I carry on my work boots. I got it from Mike (MTuccelli):

I love that one because it swings freely and never catches on anything. Plus it's crazy sharp. And, because of the handle design (which has strike on anything matches in it), it never shows, not even if I am sitting with my legs crossed.

• ToombesToombes Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭
    I've been toting around the same Smith and Wesson SWAT knife for the past 14 yrs. Bought it when I became an EMT. Not a big fan of the half-serrated blade, but it was all they produced at the time.

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
    Battle-worn and scarred, but she gets the job done.
  • Steve2010Steve2010 Posts: 1,036
    Everyday carry: Kimura III by Bradley

• docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    Steve2010:

Crazy sharp knives. Do you flip it all around, and do all of the tricks and stuff, or is it purely practical for you?
    docbp87:
    Steve2010:

Crazy sharp knives. Do you flip it all around, and do all of the tricks and stuff, or is it purely practical for you?

Some flipping...lots of practice with a no-edged practice Bali. I'll post a video later.
  • allsmokedupallsmokedup Posts: 751 ✭✭
    My EDC is usally a SOG Flash 1 (you never even notice it's there, literally), Soyderco Tenacious or Spyderco Delica4 Full Flat Ground. I want to pick up a Delica with the wave feature though, it seems nice to have when you want quick open in an unassisted knife. I've also carried a Kershaw Blur and Byrd Cara Cara 2 on occasion.
  • asianbiker8asianbiker8 Posts: 551
    OchoZacho:
    Always have this little guy on me. Buddy of mine gave it to me for being in his wedding.

I carry this knife as well. Mine is serrated though. I love crkt products.
    allsmokedup:
    My EDC is usally a SOG Flash 1 (you never even notice it's there, literally), Soyderco Tenacious or Spyderco Delica4 Full Flat Ground. I want to pick up a Delica with the wave feature though, it seems nice to have when you want quick open in an unassisted knife. I've also carried a Kershaw Blur and Byrd Cara Cara 2 on occasion.
    For the quick open on an unassisted knife, if you carry a Spyderco knife tip up, you can simply attach a zip tie to the hole in the blade, then remove the excess "tail" from the zip tie, leaving a little plastic nub on the top edge of the blade that works as a pocket catch, just like the wave. I have a Cold Steel Ti-Lite that has a pocket catch feature, and while the knife itself isn't the most practical knife to carry, it is the coolest, easiest opening knife thanks to that pocket catch.
  • RBeckomRBeckom Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭
    For me it's A Case XX Plow-buster, the large version. It's not fancy, it doesn't cost A lot and it isn't hard to find but it is A great little knife.
    Practicing with my dull-edged trainer saved my fingers on multiple occasions.

Basic Stuff

• danielzreyesdanielzreyes Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Steve2010:
    Practicing with my dull-edged trainer saved my fingers on multiple occasions.

Basic Stuff

good stuff brother.
    "It's plume, bro. Nothing to worry about. Got any Opus?" The suppose to be DZR
  • danielzreyesdanielzreyes Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nothing fancy shmancy. Just a Buck that Ive had for about 12 or so yrs.
    Uploaded with Snapbucket (Original)
    "It's plume, bro. Nothing to worry about. Got any Opus?" The suppose to be DZR
  • 415415 Posts: 951
    over the last 3 years ive parted ways with almost my whole collection. had over 30. down to 3. my edc is a benchmade 746 lum mini onslaught first production 513 of 1000.
    great little knife. sharp as hell right out of the box
  • JHeweyJHewey Posts: 2,421 ✭✭✭
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    I've been wanting to pick up a medium sized folding knife just to have around, an EDC if you will. I don't know knives, but I had a small Gerber folding knife that I really liked...wish I knew what the heck I did with it.

I know this is like asking what cigar I should smoke in that I'm going to get many different opinions, but what would you guys recommend in a medium, say 3-4" blade, non-serrated type of folding knife. Not looking for aesthetics, I'm more about function and reliability.
    Carried this Cold Steel OSS with me in Iraq from 2005-06. For some reason, you could point a 9mm in someones face and they wouldn't flinch. Pull this out and they backed down really quick.

• ENFIDLENFIDL Posts: 5,836
    My fav one is my SOG Flash II, model TFSA-98. It's the one I carried on my kit and have abused the hell out of it and it's still the sh!z
    j0z3r:
    I've been wanting to pick up a medium sized folding knife just to have around, an EDC if you will. I don't know knives, but I had a small Gerber folding knife that I really liked...wish I knew what the heck I did with it.

I know this is like asking what cigar I should smoke in that I'm going to get many different opinions, but what would you guys recommend in a medium, say 3-4" blade, non-serrated type of folding knife. Not looking for aesthetics, I'm more about function and reliability.
    my only advise is to go to a shop ( instead of buying online) so you can see them in person.
    ive bought many online only to get them and not like the balance or the way it looks in person.

as far as brand names.... you should be safe something from the brands listed in this thread
    Steve2010:
    Carried this Cold Steel OSS with me in Iraq from 2005-06. For some reason, you could point a 9mm in someones face and they wouldn't flinch. Pull this out and they backed down really quick.

anybody can use a 9mm. it takes a special type of person to put in work with a blade.

just curious how heavy is that knife? looks a little large for an edc. then again, alittle large for california is probably just right for iraq
    415:
    Steve2010:

anybody can use a 9mm. it takes a special type of person to put in work with a blade.

just curious how heavy is that knife? looks a little large for an edc. then again, alittle large for california is probably just right for iraq

8" blade, but fairly light and extremely well balanced. As far as being large for EDC, remember I was wearing approximately 60 pounds of gear (Helmet, body armor with plates, M-4 with ACOG/AN-PEQ-2 IR laser, M-9 9mm, 9 x mags 5.56mm, 3 x mags 9mm, M67 Frag Grenades, first aid, MBTR radio, etc...), so another 10 ounces didn't bother me.

Would I carry it in the States? Only if a zombie apocalypse broke out.
    j0z3r:

Personally, from the knives I own, or that friends own and I have actually used, I have found Spyderco and Benchmade to be two of the best "bang for your buck" brands. I am not huge on the whole "tactical" folder thing, because I work in a pharmacy. I need a knife I can use to cut paper, small plastics, realistic uses for a knife. A lock that can take 1,000 lb. of pressure doesn't matter to me personally. I don't know what you plan to do with your knife, but comfort is the one thing that I think gets over looked, or undervalued among knife users I know, who care about really fancy steel, handle material, lock integrity, etc. more than they care about the way the knife feels in their hand. Don't get me wrong, I love knowing all of the great technical details of my knives, love reading comparisons of steels, edge retention, all of that... but in the end, I carry the kni(v)fe(s) I carry because I like they way they feel when I use them. 415 had awesome advice in saying to buy a knife in person, not online... or at least pick a knife out in person, handle it, use it, get a really good feel for it (then go online an find a deal on it somewhere lol), first.
  • taythegibstaythegibs Posts: 2,025
    you just reminded me of a case knife i used to carry... i need to get another, it was about 2 and 3/4 in long and had a narrow blade. I just wish i hadn't lost it, last thing i can remember using it on was a stack of envelopes for 2 weeks worth of mail.
  • firetruckguyfiretruckguy Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭
    jr_p951:
    MTucelli is one to talk to about knives! I do believe he owns his own cutlery business.
    You are correct, Mike is the man when it comes to knives. Mike made me one of his guinea pig last year and sent me a sweet blade to test. It gutted and skinned a antelope, cut 30 pieces of foil backed insulation, and I use it damn near every day to do something during my work as a fire truck mechanic. I use a cheap sharpener about once a week to put an edge back on it and it works just great. I think this little baby runs under 20 bucks, not a bad price in my book.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Thanks Mike!
  • LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    I'm thinking of getting into knives, but what do you guys use for sharpening of them? And how often do you have to sharpen theM?

I've seen kits that sharpen for upwards of $300... Seen ones like Stay Sharp for less, but I've also seen the Cabela's little guy for like $10.... How do you make your knives sharp?
    Lasabar:
    I'm thinking of getting into knives, but what do you guys use for sharpening of them? And how often do you have to sharpen theM?

I've seen kits that sharpen for upwards of $300... Seen ones like Stay Sharp for less, but I've also seen the Cabela's little guy for like $10.... How do you make your knives sharp?
    for sharpening i use a series of sharpening stones. i bought them to keep my tools sharp but the work great for knives.

if im feeling lazy or if its a really nice one i take it to the guy that shappens my saw blades.