Home Non Cigar Related

Just playing with ink...

ToombesToombes Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭
A friend talked me into doing some tattoo work on him if he would provide the equipment, so I said why not. I've still got loads to learn and really wish I could do a proper apprenticeship, but 2 full-time jobs and a house full of kids makes that a nearly impossible prospect. Anyway, 3 sessions and 13 hrs later he got his back piece.

Photobucket

He's a retired EMT and was my partner for a bit. Still need to go back and do some touch-up on the staff where it faded in a few spots.

Comments

• RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good job on the wings! I'm thinking A EMT angel theme.
  • ToombesToombes Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭
    Thanks! It's one of the first pieces I've done, so it's kinda sketchy in places. As far as the design is concerned, his wife is a nurse so he wanted to combine the Star of Life and the Caduceous as a tribute to both jobs.
  • gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    Man , good job .
  • RBeckomRBeckom Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭
    Slick work.
    Thanks guys.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    Good friend right there. Wings are really cool.
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice work, Daniel......
  • Steve2010Steve2010 Posts: 1,036
    Nice work.
  • LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    Niiiice!
    Thanks, fellers! I've got 4 more clients lined up and have no clue how I'm gonna get their pieces done in between work and trying to spend time with the family. I'll post pics as I get to them.
    Just finished the touch-up on this one.
    Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
    Thought I'd throw this one up. Did it last week for a friend who lost some loved ones to brain cancer, hence the gray ribbon. There's a few sketchy spots, but she wouldn't stop texting...
    Comments welcome.
    Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App
  • marineatbn03marineatbn03 Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭
    Brother I would have no issue getting ink done by you, that is some nice work. Better than one I have done by a "pro" I might add.
    marineatbn03:
    Brother I would have no issue getting ink done by you, that is some nice work. Better than one I have done by a "pro" I might add.

Thanks, James. The ribbon looks brown because the piece was only about 5 minutes old when I took the picture. I'll post another one when it's healed.
    The wings were definately bad azz, very nice shading and shadowing
    It was a rush job and I ganked a line... She said its perfect, so I guess that's good enough.
    marineatbn03:
    The wings were definately bad azz, very nice shading and shadowing

Thanks, James. If you look closely though, you can see a couple of the feathers aren't finished. He said its good enough and wasn't gonna let me hold of him again. Drives me crazy everytime I look at the picture...
    Toombes:
    It was a rush job and I ganked a line... She said its perfect, so I guess that's good enough.
    That one is not bad except.......
    Bwahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!
  • CvilleECvilleE Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭
    marineatbn03:
    Toombes:
    That one is not bad except.......
    That was what I was gonna say but if it in red U of L then you sux!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Blasphemers!!!!
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Since this seems to be the "ink" thread, Maybe we should post out tattoos here?
    I didn't wanna make a new thread and face the wrath.
    I'm sure that someone who has better skills at the search can find the "official" tattoo/ink thread, but since I'm still a newb, you'll have to forgive me for the infractions.

Here is my tattoo. I am an american indian, native american for you politically correct activists. LOL!
    The beartrack in the center is in honor of my grandfather, who's name, aptly enough, is Beartracks.
    The feathers are Bald Eagle feathers, one a juvenile, which represents strength, endurance and energy.
    The other is a mature feather, which represents, wisdom, knowledge and patience. (ok, so I'm working on the patience one. LOL!
    The bear is my spirit guide or Brother spirit, depending on how you look at it.

Ok, more information than you wanted to know about me. LOL!

In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
    That's awesome, Tony! The dreamcatcher I posted was an "I think it's cool" piece with no true significance. I'd rather do a piece like yours that has true meaning to it.
    Toombes:
    That's awesome, Tony! The dreamcatcher I posted was an "I think it's cool" piece with no true significance. I'd rather do a piece like yours that has true meaning to it.
    The tattoo you did was very cool. It was one of the reasons I thought about posting mine, to show you how close you were to something that is very dear to me. I was actually amazed at the similarities.
    My tattoo was drawn up by a native artist and done by a gal who does a lot of native tattoos.
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
    Since Opatience posted his, I thought I'd show what I'm doing on my right leg. This is 2 1/2 hrs of outlining and will probably have 6-7 hrs of color, shading and fine detail when it's done. The final piece will have a koi below the knee and a dragon coming up onto my rib cage. I estimate 20-30 hrs to finish it.
    Toombes:
    Since Opatience posted his, I thought I'd show what I'm doing on my right leg. This is 2 1/2 hrs of outlining and will probably have 6-7 hrs of color, shading and fine detail when it's done. The final piece will have a koi below the knee and a dragon coming up onto my rib cage. I estimate 20-30 hrs to finish it.
    That is gonna look cool!!
    Is that a tat you are covering up towards the bottom?
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
    He's covering up a ship propeller from his squidly days, jk bro. That is a nice piece, I wanna see it when it is done.
    I'm not even going to tell you where I put this... I've gotta go shower now.
  • docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    Do you do this in your spare time Toombes? Are you a tattoo artist on the side, or is it your full time gig?
    docbp87:
    Do you do this in your spare time Toombes? Are you a tattoo artist on the side, or is it your full time gig?

It's a spare time gig, doc. My full-time gig is as a paramedic-firefighter, but I do this on the side for some spare change.