Home General Discussion
Options

Whatcha smokin tonight?

Comments

• Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    OK, I finally tried a Gurkha Beast today, what's more, I surprised myself by liking it. Ok, so the skinny on this one: the flavor profile appealed to me, it had enough complexity to keep me interested and the flavor had enough of a presence to be detected, which the Titan failed on both counts. The burn was ragged as all hell, but it kept burning and the wrapper held up despite a couple small splits. Heck, I'd smoke this one again, so that's good enough for me.
  • Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    Hey joe, there is no "skinny " on that one, how long did you need for it.. two and a half hours ?
  • Options
    sdipsdip Posts: 406
    Smoked a Legends Rocky Patel tonight. Pretty good, would consider it middle of the series. My favorites of that group are probably the Matasa and Perdomo.
  • Options
    sdip:
    Smoked a Legends Rocky Patel tonight. Pretty good, would consider it middle of the series. My favorites of that group are probably the Matasa and Perdomo.
    I've been through the Legends series and found them all very respectable examples of the blender at a great price. I liked Graycliff Purple the best though. (Rocky Patel second best)
  • Options
    kaspera79:
    Hey joe, there is no "skinny " on that one, how long did you need for it.. two and a half hours ?
    Hmm, not sure...I was kinda pre-occupied, wasn't even paying attention to the time. Have you read Velocity by Koontz? I haven't been able to put it down.
  • Options
    j0z3r:
    kaspera79:
    Hmm, not sure...I was kinda pre-occupied, wasn't even paying attention to the time. Have you read Velocity by Koontz? I haven't been able to put it down.
    .. LOVED IT What would you do when confronted with the options this guy had.. That one gets you from page one...Fantastic !
    Still on a Koontz kick I see.
  • Options
    I think I'll be on that kick until I finish his entire library...now I'm impatiently waiting for the final installment of Dean Koontz's Frankenstein...July can't come soon enough.
  • Options
    I am seldom disappointed when it comes to a Koontz.. I haven't started the Frankenstein series ..yet.
  • Options
    I'd suggest not starting it until the third book comes out, you're going to want to blow through them...they are classic Koontz with a new twist on an old story, really good too.
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    kaspera79:
    I am seldom disappointed when it comes to a Koontz.. I haven't started the Frankenstein series ..yet.
    I liked one book from him but can't for the life of me remember which one it was, sometime around 97 or 98.. I love Barker though... Had a CAO black, and wasn't very into it. I liked the VR much more.
  • Options
    alienmisprintalienmisprint Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭
    j0z3r:
    I think I'll be on that kick until I finish his entire library...now I'm impatiently waiting for the final installment of Dean Koontz's Frankenstein...July can't come soon enough.
    I've been waiting on that book since summer of 2005. I find alot of his stuff is hit or miss, either I really dig it or totally hate it. From the Corner of His Eye is still one of the best books I have ever read though.

Had a ITC 10th Anniversary Second earlier, I can't really tell what made this one a second. There are a couple in the bundle that have a heavy vein here or there, but nothing too severe. This one smoked awesome, I really love these cigars.
  • Options
    I had a few sticks tonight. I started off with a Sol Cubano Connecticut and little later on had a Man O War Toro and as I drove into work tonight I had a Nub Habano. I had about an inch left in that cigar when the three inch ash dropped into my lap. CK
  • Options
    Just finished a RP Olde World Corojo. Was a damn good smoke, and even thought it is listed as a Habano, I didn't find it had much in common with the other Habanos I have had. It was similar to the Decade, and even though I prefer the Decade, the Olde World is still a new addition to my favorites list.
  • Options
    PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    Had a couple good smokes night before last. I started the evening with a Graycliff 1666 that was great. Nice flavor the developed throughout. The flavor developed on this one where as it didn't with the first one I smoked. Perfect draw and burn.
    Next I had an Oliva Serie G Cameroon. This was my first Oliva Cameroon and it was very pleseant! Also had a great draw, almost a little too loose, but the burn was great. Ended up being a nice night for cigars!! With temps in the mid to upper 60's at night it is perfect smoking weather!!!
  • Options
    rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    gmill880:
    First today-Xikar Defiance with about 4 months on it. Prelight was a woody-figgy taste, interesting. Draw was good. Was not sure at all what to expect as it was my first of these. Lit it up and right away good flavor, woodsy ,almost a touch of caramel nut flavor and peppery as well. Can't really explain everything I tasted in this cigar but it was a robusto and a good hour and 20 minute smoke and a flavor bomb right outta the gate. Would definitly smoke again and recommend.

Second smoke today a Fuente Crucet Habanera 78---A powerhouse...would highly recommend eating before smoking! A good earthy woodsy leafy flavor, light pepper thru nasal exhale but stronger as it went, I had to set this one down about 2/3 thru to take care of a customer and when I returned the window washers had soaked it !!! There they stand all big eyed and stupid looking - Them: Was that your cigar man ? Me - Why you know what , that was my damn cigar !!! Which one of you guys decided it needed a bath ? Them: Oh Oh Oh uhhh uhhh I'm not sure man it just got wet before we saw it and then fell on the ground....uhhh uuhhh. Me: Oh don't sweat it guys I'll just deduct 20.00 from the window washing bill to cover the cigar , my gas to get another one and the expense of my time to drive over a few streets to the B&M, not a problem. Them: Uhhh Uhhh UUhhh we'll have to check with our supervisor about that Oohhh UUhh Uhhh. Me: You do that while I have accounts payable deduct it. Ok . Them: UUhhhh UUHHH ...At this point my super calls me back inside because he can tell everyones getting a little agitated. I guess it really was my fault for leaving it on a outside window sill even if for a very short period of time. But still, you would think people could see ...damn ...
    I have to assume the Fuentes is not a Fuente? I have never heard of them. If it is indeed a Fuente, where did you get it if you don't mind me asking. I haven't had a Fuente with a Habano wrapper.
  • Options
    Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
    alienmisprint:
    Just finished a RP Olde World Corojo. Was a damn good smoke, and even thought it is listed as a Habano, I didn't find it had much in common with the other Habanos I have had. It was similar to the Decade, and even though I prefer the Decade, the Olde World is still a new addition to my favorites list.

I love the Ole Worlds. The corojo IMHO is damn similar to the decade. Love me some decade though. The maduro is a weeee bit better than the corojo, no smoother smoke i have ever tasted.
    Tonight was a good night, i was able to steal away a few hours from work. 1st was my last Padron 3000. Good smoke, good flavor but i still think padron is only...ok in my book. Next was my last Padilla Miami. Jeezus i love these! Smooth, cedary, slightly sweet, earth and lots of good mellow tobacco flavors. Hell i may buy a box of these!
  • Options
    gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    rwheelwright:
    gmill880:
    First today-Xikar Defiance with about 4 months on it. Prelight was a woody-figgy taste, interesting. Draw was good. Was not sure at all what to expect as it was my first of these. Lit it up and right away good flavor, woodsy ,almost a touch of caramel nut flavor and peppery as well. Can't really explain everything I tasted in this cigar but it was a robusto and a good hour and 20 minute smoke and a flavor bomb right outta the gate. Would definitly smoke again and recommend.

Second smoke today a Fuente Crucet Habanera 78---A powerhouse...would highly recommend eating before smoking! A good earthy woodsy leafy flavor, light pepper thru nasal exhale but stronger as it went, I had to set this one down about 2/3 thru to take care of a customer and when I returned the window washers had soaked it !!! There they stand all big eyed and stupid looking - Them: Was that your cigar man ? Me - Why you know what , that was my damn cigar !!! Which one of you guys decided it needed a bath ? Them: Oh Oh Oh uhhh uhhh I'm not sure man it just got wet before we saw it and then fell on the ground....uhhh uuhhh. Me: Oh don't sweat it guys I'll just deduct 20.00 from the window washing bill to cover the cigar , my gas to get another one and the expense of my time to drive over a few streets to the B&M, not a problem. Them: Uhhh Uhhh UUhhh we'll have to check with our supervisor about that Oohhh UUhh Uhhh. Me: You do that while I have accounts payable deduct it. Ok . Them: UUhhhh UUHHH ...At this point my super calls me back inside because he can tell everyones getting a little agitated. I guess it really was my fault for leaving it on a outside window sill even if for a very short period of time. But still, you would think people could see ...damn ...
    I have to assume the Fuentes is not a Fuente? I have never heard of them. If it is indeed a Fuente, where did you get it if you don't mind me asking. I haven't had a Fuente with a Habano wrapper.

Its not the same company ...there are two I have a 78 and a 87 they represent the birth years of the owners children from what I understand. Habano wrapper, Dominican filler, Dominican binder , a very good , and I found pretty strong smoke. I received both the 78 and the 87 in a Game pack from rdnstn (Ron) so I,m sure he can spread some more detailed light on these cigars. I have not smoked the 87 yet, maybe this weekend .
  • Options
    gmill880:

I'm sure you had heard about the Xikar before you smoked it but when I first tried that one I hadn't heard anything about it and wasn't expecting much. I was expecting a gimicky cigar that was made with the name in mind more than the quality. I was SOOOO very wrong! This is one of the best new smokes I tried in 2008 and I plan on keeping them on hand at all times.
  • Options
    Jetmech_63:
    alienmisprint:

I love the Ole Worlds. The corojo IMHO is damn similar to the decade. Love me some decade though.
    Yeah, I'd almost wager they are the same blend, just different wrappers.

Had a CAO MX2 to start the day. It has quite a kick on an empty stomach when you first wake up. Great stick though.
  • Options
    Just had a Oliva G Torpedo ... had to smoke it too fast because still at work ...whoaaaa ...what a rush...smoked way to fast ...crazy weather here, snow on the ground about half an inch when I got here..now suns out and windy as crap ...
  • Options
    gmill880:
    Just had a Oliva G Torpedo ... had to smoke it too fast because still at work ...whoaaaa ...what a rush...smoked way to fast ...crazy weather here, snow on the ground about half an inch when I got here..now suns out and windy as crap ...
    That almost makes me feel bad man... I'm suffering here through an 89 degree sunny calm day here in TX with an overnight low predicted to drop to a wintery 64... haha Sorry, had to rub it in a little ;)
  • Options
    betasynnbetasynn Posts: 1,249
    Yeah it was raining here on Long Island, NY, so I went ahead and set up a huge umbrella so my friends and I could share a smoke. I had a good Padilla 1932 robusto, and it was good but really opened up around the end. If I let them be for a little, do you think the flavor profile might even out a bit? Awesome last third, smoked it to the nub. My friends had a Punch Rare corojo, which the smoke shop dried way the heck out (sadly) and my other friend had an A. Fernandez Signature Robusto I gave him.
  • Options
    PuroFreak:
    gmill880:

I'm sure you had heard about the Xikar before you smoked it but when I first tried that one I hadn't heard anything about it and wasn't expecting much. I was expecting a gimicky cigar that was made with the name in mind more than the quality. I was SOOOO very wrong! This is one of the best new smokes I tried in 2008 and I plan on keeping them on hand at all times.

Same with me I had not heard a lot but I was kinda figuring it would be ok but boy what flavor , I really did not expect that much but was I ever wrong. Now I need to see if I can get some more ...I was pretty impressed with the flavor.
  • Options
    PuroFreak:
    gmill880:
    That almost makes me feel bad man... I'm suffering here through an 89 degree sunny calm day here in TX with an overnight low predicted to drop to a wintery 64... haha Sorry, had to rub it in a little ;)

Well heck I,m glad at least you had some good smoking weather.On a brighter note though its supposed to be in the low 80's here for my 3 day weekend off work so I'm pumped about that. One more day of work to go and then a Thursday night class that ends at 9:00 pm then look out taste buds...
  • Options
    Today was a Sancho Panza Valiente. These are a great cigar at and an outstanding value. I have had several and they have never let me down.. The wrapper cracked on this one for some reason, but I managed to limp it through. I wasn't about to toss this one.
  • Options

Worked from home today so got in my share! Started with a Perdome 2. This was an outstanding smoke. Next was a Camacho Havana. Camacho's are usually a little strong for me, but I enjoyed this one. Next was a Rocky Patel OSG. These were discontinued and I have no idea why. It's really an outstanding smoke- full of flavor and a little spicy. GladI got my hands on a bunch. I finished up with a R&J viejo. This one's been in the humi for over a year. Haven't had one in quite some time and forgot how exceptional the construction was. I have had problems with tight draws on these in the past, but this one was perfect.

• Options
    rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    With all the talk about the Centurion I had one tonight. Stronger than I remember but good! Still not my favorite but I would't not by them again.
  • Options
    Today was a Legends White Label by Camacho, it was ok, a little harsh at first, then settle into nothing spectacular. Later was a Tatuaje Miami Cojonu 2003, very good cigar.
  • Options
    TumblerTumbler Posts: 338 ✭✭
    betasynn:
    Yeah it was raining here on Long Island, NY, so I went ahead and set up a huge umbrella so my friends and I could share a smoke. I had a good Padilla 1932 robusto, and it was good but really opened up around the end. If I let them be for a little, do you think the flavor profile might even out a bit? Awesome last third, smoked it to the nub. My friends had a Punch Rare corojo, which the smoke shop dried way the heck out (sadly) and my other friend had an A. Fernandez Signature Robusto I gave him.

I am smoking another one of those tonight (Padilla 32), a robusto to boot, and I think it's a wonderful cigar. Bit spicey in the beginning, but mellows after the first third - the end of this was lacking a bit for me - but I love the complexity here. Yes, I think it would even out if aged a bit.
  • Options
    I pulled a Cu Avana toro that had been sitting for a year this morning. Talk about a smoke with no flavor - this was pretty bad. Followed it up w a Rocky Patel Summer 08. Much better and excellent flavors. Tonight I finished up with a Gurkha Signature 101 maduro. I like this one - flavor of chocolate w a little spice. Have found this one to be consistently good.