Home General Discussion
Options

Whatcha smokin tonight?

Comments

• Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Well jeez Luko, that's no good at all. I was going to try the Beast this weekend, now I'm thinking it will be a repeat of the Titan. Hmm...
  • Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    Squirrel

I don't recall the buttery texture / taste you mentioned but I will have to give it another try and look for that. It does have a unique sweet/spice leathery earthy profile that really impressed me . I remember they made me want coffee, I just knew they would be a good combo.
  • Options
    gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    DE Tabak Especial - mmmmmm good...Just the right mix of tobacco with hints of expresso and light chocolate nuances but not overpowering the tobacco but complimeting it ...hats off to Jonathan Drew
  • Options
    brsmith21brsmith21 Posts: 207
    Smokin' a Gurkha Turk tonight. First one of these I've had and I must say I'm very impressed. Lots of flavor, perfect burn and draw. Very nice.
  • Options
    sdipsdip Posts: 406
    Had a few today. Started out w a Nestor Connecticut. First time and decent mild smoke. Had a little different flavor, thinking maybe vanilla. Next was a Perdomo En Vidrio - this is another excellent one from Perdomo. Tonight was a Torano Casa Torano - started mild, but got kind of spicy. A very good cigar.
  • Options
    alienmisprintalienmisprint Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭
    Just had a Tatuaje P Toro. This one was just as good as the corona size. Damn fine smoke, especially for the price. I really need to try some of the other Tatuajes, maybe Alex is going to throw one or two in the grab bag? Hmmm?
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Had a few myself today. When I got home from work I lit up a 5 Vegas Miami M-5, the newest offering in the line at 5.5 x 55, it was pretty good, though you wouldn't know it by watching me smoke as I fell asleep twice while smoking it :). Later was a Sudeste Cubano robusto, this was an ok smoke, medium-full with a good flavor, the wrapper had a huge crack near the head that caused a flap to stick to my lips with each draw, very annoying. And to round out the day I plucked a personal favorite from the humi, a La Flor Dominicana Cameroon Cabinet #1, I can't say enough good things about this cigar, awesome flavor, perfect draw, slow and even burn and it smokes cool down to the nub, the age is really starting to show on these too, the flavor is very well balanced and rounded, they just keep getting better all the time.
  • Options
    Joel_H.Joel_H. Posts: 101
    brsmith21:
    Smokin' a Gurkha Turk tonight. First one of these I've had and I must say I'm very impressed. Lots of flavor, perfect burn and draw. Very nice.
    Me too, the turk is my favorite everyday go to smoke. I just ordered another mazo of 6 along with the daily deal on gurka centurians, I cant wait for these to show up.
  • Options
    urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    bbc020:
    rwheelwright:
    bbc020:
    bbc020:
    I actually brought a RP Sun Grown to smoke today. I have a nice little trip for work today, and it offers a beautiful opportunity to smoke this Torpedo. I think this came to me from one of you fine folks that participated in the Super Bowl contest/board.
    The sun grown was a nice smoke today. Started to unravel a bit after a short break in the wrapper, i think due to over humidification.

I'm finishing up an Oliva Special S Torpedo. First time smoking this cigar and I got a few that I picked up in a shop last week. This stick is excellent. Sweet and spicy to begin then mellows to some woody flavors. Just awesome. I'm excited to have a few of these...including the robusto tubo from Jozer.
    You liked the torpedo? I had a smaller one and I wasn't impressed. I haven't found them anywhere else. There is a small local B&M I need to check out that I haven't been to in a while and another one that is approx 45 minutes away. Maybe I'll have my friend check since he goes to that one often.
    I liked the torpedo, but then again...it's the only one I've smoked
    I like the diadema, which is likewise the only one I've smoked.

Right now I'm having what is, I think, my last Oliva O perfecto. Draw's a bit tight.
  • Options
    My second cigar was an educating experience.. I was the teacher. I converted two swisher smokers tonight with ......5 Vegas Classic cigars. From construction, and blending ,to cut, toast, light, and pace of smoking, Comparing the taste we were getting, they really picked it up well, with descriptions of wood, toast, and a description I found interesting, "burnt coffee". These guys left with a couple more Vegas, some Sherpas, and Nordings. I believe they will never go back to drug store cigars again.
  • Options
    Well done, young Jedi. :)
  • Options
    Some day soon they will start coming over with cigars in hand...As they discover their favorites with a desire to share . How you been Urbi ? I missed you.
  • Options
    Busy as a one-legged man in a butt hanging contest. Or words to that effect.

How's things in Chicago?
  • Options
    In my continuing effort to make up for not smoking for over a week, I'm now enjoying my 3rd cigar of the night: a Punch Gran Puro, which the estimable kuzi put me onto.
  • Options
    alienmisprintalienmisprint Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭
    Just finished another of my favorites, a Carlos Torano Signature. Yep, it is still one of my favorites.
  • Options
    kaspera79:
    My second cigar was an educating experience.. I was the teacher. I converted two swisher smokers tonight with ......5 Vegas Classic cigars. From construction, and blending ,to cut, toast, light, and pace of smoking, Comparing the taste we were getting, they really picked it up well, with descriptions of wood, toast, and a description I found interesting, "burnt coffee". These guys left with a couple more Vegas, some Sherpas, and Nordings. I believe they will never go back to drug store cigars again.

Excellent grasshopper...
  • Options
    Dude LoveDude Love Posts: 315
    Just finished a La Aurora Barrel Aged corona. MMMMMMMMMM. I could've swore this cigar had an Ecuadorian Sumatra wrapper, it had that exact sweetness to it. It also had a really nice tobacco sweetness, then some other kind of flavor I can't really describe...but it was damn good. Definitely picking up a box of these sometime soon.
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    Luko:
    Had a disappointing Gurkha Beast tonight. The first I kept noticing was a lack of finish, and not much maduro-y goodness. To me the second half was the most flavorful and even then, not much there. Honestly, it wasn't terrible, it was just borning as hell.
    sorry to hear that luko. I have had about 8 or 9 of them and I think 2 of them were less than desireable but overall I enjoy them very much. One things about gurkha I have noticed is that they need to work on QC but maybe that is just what you get with hand made items. I smoke gurkhas more than any other cigar, not sure why exactly just seems to be that way...
  • Options
    rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    Yesterday was a three and a half cigar day for me. I started the day with the second half of the Cask II that I didn't finish the night before. At lunch, I had a Nub Connie Torpedo. This is where things get hairy. Every since my tobacco beetle outbreak, I put the affected cigars in a seperate zip lock bag. I smoked one of them last night. A Gurkha Shaggy Maduro. From everything I read, the cigar should have tasted bitter but it didn't. Still had a decent taste but not much of it. I just can't bare to throw the few affected cigars out. My Last cigar of the night was a Shaggy Natural. This one was not as good as the last two I had. I think it was a little too moist. I had it in a zip lock bag with a Water Pillow. My mouth is really hurting right now, but that won't stop me from smoking today. I'm thinking of a ccom cameroon robusto that I just got in yesterday.
  • Options
    kaspera79:
    Squirrel

I don't recall the buttery texture / taste you mentioned but I will have to give it another try and look for that. It does have a unique sweet/spice leathery earthy profile that really impressed me . I remember they made me want coffee, I just knew they would be a good combo.
    do you happen to know what size you had?
  • Options
    sdipsdip Posts: 406
    On my way to an Cugine event at my local B&M. Never tried their stuff, so hope to get a couple at a good deal.
  • Options
    Rob1110Rob1110 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭
    Dude Love:
    Just finished a La Aurora Barrel Aged corona. MMMMMMMMMM. I could've swore this cigar had an Ecuadorian Sumatra wrapper, it had that exact sweetness to it. It also had a really nice tobacco sweetness, then some other kind of flavor I can't really describe...but it was damn good. Definitely picking up a box of these sometime soon.
    I had one of those almost a year ago and LOVED it. Picked up a box and haven't had a single cigar from that box. Just too much new stuff to try. Nice weather will be here soon though. I'm putting those barrel aged in my rotation.
  • Options
    Rob1110:
    Dude Love:
    I had one of those almost a year ago and LOVED it. Picked up a box and haven't had a single cigar from that box. Just too much new stuff to try. Nice weather will be here soon though. I'm putting those barrel aged in my rotation.
    I have a robusto that's been sitting for a few months. I had a churchill several months ago and just really wasn't all that into it. I'm hoping that I'll like the one I have in my humi. I hear a lot of good things about them.
  • Options
    sdip:
    On my way to an Cugine event
    "Cugine"? Is that French for "swingers," sdip?
  • Options
    PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    I had my first Don Pepin Cuban Classic this morning and wow! Great spicy smoke with tons of flavor! Full bodied and not harsh at all. I am glad I picked up a 10 pack of them! It was a robusto and took about an hour and 15 minutes to smoke. Perfect burn and draw.
  • Options
    Had a Nestor maduro torp, wow like smoking pure bliss.
  • Options
    LukoLuko Posts: 2,003 ✭✭
    I haven't been overly impressed with any of the 5 vegas cigars I've tried...until tonight. Had the limitada and loved the flavors. Had some draw issues, but it was still phenomenal.
  • Options
    Had a Punch Gran Cru today ...very good although it had some burn issues , had to correct three times. A smooth creamy smoke but not quite as mellow as some Gran Cru's I've had. I think aging really mellows these and brings out the spice a bit more. A good cigar nonetheless ...
  • Options
    alienmisprint:
    Just finished another of my favorites, a Carlos Torano Signature. Yep, it is still one of my favorites.
    I just so happen to have one, might get to it tonight.
  • Options
    Luko:
    I haven't been overly impressed with any of the 5 vegas cigars I've tried...until tonight. Had the limitada and loved the flavors. Had some draw issues, but it was still phenomenal.
    was it the 08?