Home General Discussion
Options

Whatcha smokin tonight?

Comments

• Options
    VidarienVidarien Posts: 246
    phobicsquirrel:
    Vidarien:
    I stopped at a local B&M that just opened and got myself an Oliva V torpedo and a cusano MC corona (Fan of the celebrity series).

So regarding the Oliva V....smoking big time ligero cigars while on a diet and eating light....is always an amusing experience. I had just finished smoking it (and it was pleasant) when I went to eat dinner, and i was just hunched over the plate in a daze eating and I had no idea why. I dont seem to get sick by going heavy and eating light, but man oh man do i enter a different world.

As for the cusano, that was a nice little treat as well. The only cusano celebrity series cigar i havent had yet is the P1, which i intend to try soon, but for the price....those are some fantastically made knockoffs of the macanudo/montecristo/partagas regulars. In fact, i think they have an even better flavor the the originals. They dont necessarily offer a uniqueness or develop a changing taste profile, but the profile they do offer is excellent.
    Sorry to hear about the dizzy-ness. I really don't get that too often. I smoke usually when I get off work so I'm sort of hungry but not starving and I haven't had any issues as of yet. I've smoked some hefty cigars too. I guess it just hit's at strange times. I got my ass kicked from a mild smoke before, which is funny because I've never got beat up by a full bodied. I guess it's that I smoke them slower or something.
    Well to be fair, i was entirely to blame. I had a very small bowl of soup for lunch and I smoked it before dinner. It was mainly funny, since i felt better after eating. But before hand...i was just slouched in my chair as though i pounded down a few scotch doubles, despite the fact i hadnt drank anything. The oliva V was the first time that happened to me in a long while, but i suspect something similar wouldve happened with a ghurka triple ligero, titan, partagas black etc etc.
  • Options
    alienmisprintalienmisprint Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭
    Had a great night with my best friend. We broke into the humidor/cigar stash I got him for his birthday. Started off with an ITC 10th Anniversary. What a great smoke that is. I am going to be ordering a bundle of the seconds of that one for sure. Later on we had a Natural Irish Hops and followed that with a Legends Copper Label. Those are probably my two favorite infused sticks, awesome mild smokes with a ton of flavor. I can't say enough how much I enjoyed the ITC though, man that was an awesome smoke.
  • Options
    bbc020bbc020 Posts: 1,422
    Yesterday was a two smoke day for me. Started off with Nub Habano 466, great burn throughout and very nice stick. I haven't had one in a while and I'm beginning to question why.

the second stick was a Oliva Serie V Maduro. The second time I've tried this stick and was not disappointed at all. It didnt' seem as full bodied as I remember, but still produced enough spice, cream, and woody flavors to satisfy.
  • Options
    gaberoxgaberox Posts: 824
    Rare 3 cigar day for me on saturday. Started with a Perdomo 10th anniversary maduro churchill.Strong cedar and spice at first than some nice cocoa on the last half. Next was a RP Decade torpedo. Very nice,first time Ive actually tasted black pepper as a flavor and not just a sensation. Did get bored with this one by the nub as it seemed one dimensional for the 2nd half.
    Finished off with a partagas black 6x50. This one was too tight and needed lots of touching up. Pretty good flavors, would like to try again and hope for a better draw and even burn.
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    Having a 5 vegas cask strength 2 thanks to wheelie. Great cigar. I have yet to be let down with 5 vegas.
  • Options
    betasynnbetasynn Posts: 1,249
    Going to go with a A. Fernandez Signature Torpedo a little later.
  • Options
    Dude LoveDude Love Posts: 315
    Spent the weekend back home, smoked a couple Litto Gomez sticks my brother gave me, then smoked my Gurkha Grand Reserve. As far as I can remember, it tasted pretty good. I was well into my Saturday night by then though, so the memory is a little foggy.
  • Options
    zoom6zoomzoom6zoom Posts: 1,214
    Happy B-day, Laker, sounds like you had a good one! I'm having the big 5-0 this summer, already planning my cigar menu for that day (and taking the day off!). I think it will be a good day to light up that ISOM that's been stashed away.

Yesterday was a pretty nice day here if a bit on the breezy side, sat in the front yard and enjoyed a 5 Vegas Limitada 2006 (damn, I've only got one left!). Today I'm enjoying an RP Sun Grown for lunch. Probably my favorite Rocky.
  • Options
    Just finished an El Mejor Emerald. Man I love these cigars. Has anyone here tried Don Kiki's namesake label? I love all the 5 Vegas I have had and I really dig the El Mejor line, it figures that I would dig his other labels too.
  • Options
    smbrinksmbrink Posts: 406
    Just finished off my Sol Cubano Artisan. Pleasant smoke...I really like the salomon style smoke. No major burn issues...what little issues there were ill blame on the constant wind here on Cape Cod. Ummm about 15 min. in the maduro part of the wrapper cracked and came off, but it was so thin that i dont think that it really gave that much to the flavor. But all-in-all it was a pleasant smoke. I really liked the barber pole style-look that it had.
  • Options
    I just smoked a Comacho Triple Maduro toro. Had a nice subtle sweetness and was very smooth. I'll probably have an Edge maduro later tonight.

CK
  • Options
    Just finished a Vigilante Sun Grown, awesome stick. Not quite as good as the Maduro, but still an excellent smoke. Damn I wish they still made these.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    alienmisprint:
    Just finished a Vigilante Sun Grown, awesome stick. Not quite as good as the Maduro, but still an excellent smoke. Damn I wish they still made these.
    yeah i didnt think it was all that bad

...for a RP.
  • Options
    Matt MarvelMatt Marvel Posts: 930
    I had a two smoke day today. Started off with me and a buddy having a Padilla Habano before we went to class. After we got home, it was a Carlos Torano Exodus Gold. All in all, it's been a pretty good day.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    i had an ashton VSG today.

had a bout 36 months on it.

ill post the review tomorrow.
  • Options
    bbc020bbc020 Posts: 1,422
    kuzi16:
    i had an ashton VSG today.

had a bout 36 months on it.

ill post the review tomorrow.
    nice
  • Options
    Just finished a La Aurora Barrel Aged. Man, I love these. I have been finding it harder and harder to try new cigars when I have all these sticks I love so much in my humidor. Tomorrow I am going to try to only smoke sticks I haven't had before, we'll see how that goes.
  • Options
    ScramblerScrambler Posts: 746 ✭✭
    Just sat down on my porch with an Edmundo Dantes el conde 109. It's nice to finally have a few minutes to sit down and enjoy something. Of course, I have a couple papers to work on while I'm sitting here, but this is a hell of a lot better than being at work or sitting in a hotel room waiting on paperwork.
  • Options
    rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    Smoked myself a Oliva Special S #4 yesterday. It was not as good as I thought it was going to be but I don't know why I thought it was gonna be good. It wasn't bad. THe beginning had some taste. The second 1/3 developed more taste but the smoke was burning my tounge. I got one more left. It wasn't a terrible taste just not something I would buy again, at least in that size.
  • Options
    Smoked a Castle Hall this morning, and man I enjoyed it. The closest thing I could compare it to is a Casa Torano Conn, but with more kick. Damn good cigar, especially at the price they are.

Just finished a Liga Privada, and I gotta, it lives up to the hype. Excellent full bodied smoke, i enjoyed it emensely. Thanks for that stick Pheebs!
  • Options
    brian910brian910 Posts: 1
    Having a good vacation so I started around 1 pm today and smoked an excellent La Flor Dbl Ligero.  I am now sitting on the back deck smoking a Coronado by La Flor with a glass of 18 yr old scotch. WOW life is good.   
  • Options
    alienmisprint:
    Smoked a Castle Hall this morning, and man I enjoyed it. The closest thing I could compare it to is a Casa Torano Conn, but with more kick. Damn good cigar, especially at the price they are.

Just finished a Liga Privada, and I gotta, it lives up to the hype. Excellent full bodied smoke, i enjoyed it emensely. Thanks for that stick Pheebs!
    cool, glad you liked it. I wasn't a real fan of the castle hall though. The liga is a real good cigar. One which will be a box purchase for me.. some day.
  • Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    Today was a Rocky Patel Winter Collection 2009.. Wow ! Full power, full rich flavor, spicey, hot tastey, leathery, chocolate, BOMB. This cigar taste great, looks great, burns slow and even.. I can't say a single bad word about it. If your lucky enough to have some of these resting, be sure to give it plenty of time while smoking it, you will not want to rush through it. ( thanks to Maddy for this one) you know how to pick 'em.
  • Options
    I had an Edge maduro and a Gurkha Triple Ligero tonight. CK
  • Options
    gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    First smoke of the day was an Erin Go Bragh ...Did not like this stick at all, draw was way too loose, flavor kinda nasty, not sure what I would describe it as but would not smoke another. Smoke number 2 was a Padron 3000 , I don't think I've ever had a Padron I didn't like. Was a treat ,very smooth and flavorful and burn and construction were great...a great stand-by and will always have a few of these around
  • Options
    kaspera79:
    Today was a Rocky Patel Winter Collection 2009.. Wow ! Full power, full rich flavor, spicey, hot tastey, leathery, chocolate, BOMB. This cigar taste great, looks great, burns slow and even.. I can't say a single bad word about it. If your lucky enough to have some of these resting, be sure to give it plenty of time while smoking it, you will not want to rush through it. ( thanks to Maddy for this one) you know how to pick 'em.
    they still around?

I had a CAO Italia, wow what a great cigar. This one was sort of plugged, very tight draw with little smoke, but a lot of good flavor through the nose and a lasting flavor in the mouth. I may need to get a box.
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    gmill880:
    First smoke of the day was an Erin Go Bragh
    I think it was Kas that called this the Erin go Blah...pretty apt title if you ask me. I tried one several months ago, while the sweetness on the lips was different and not too bad, the taste was reminiscent of chemicals to me...yuck. Good call on the Padron, that's one of my favorite cigars.

Today was an El Rey Del Mundo choix supreme in the afternoon, love that cigar. Tonight was a Perdomo Cabinet Reserve Limited Oscuro (what a mouthful) toro, this cigar was pretty dang good, as has been my experience with Perdomo. It had a medium-full body, tending more towards full and the flavor was very nice, a lot of swirling rich, dark flavors with a moderate pepper through the nose...mmm mmm good.
  • Options
    Just finished a Nat Sherman maduro. I got this at one of the local B&M's here on the owner's reccomendation, and I have to say, I was pretty happy with it. Nothing spectacular, but a good, solid smoke nonetheless. Great way to end my day of nothing-but-sticks-I-haven't-tried-yet-ness.
  • Options
    I already posted tonight but I had a 5 Vegas Classic churchill a few minutes ago. One of my favorites; the taste and aromas remind me of cooking. Yum. CK
  • Options
    PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    Well I didn't have anything over the weekend so tonight I get to make up for it at the Rocky Patel event at my local shop. I'm pretty excited about this one. Get to go smoke and hang out with Rocky himself and get some great deals on smokes!!! Should be a good night and I'll post tomorrow on how it went and post some pics pretty soon.