Home General Discussion
Options

Whatcha smokin tonight?

Comments

• Options
    zoom6zoomzoom6zoom Posts: 1,214
    Glad you liked it, they have been highly recommended by all hands here... and the seconds are an incredible value.

My evening smoke tonight was a Padilla Hybrid which has been resting for about four months. Rich and smooth, burned my fingertips on this one.
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    This afternoon was a Viaje Oro robusto, a very tasty Nicaraguan puro that I'm glad to have spotted. The cigar burned flawlessly despite a small tear in the wrapper that occurred when I cut it leading to a bit of airflow. Really good flavor, perfect draw and tons of smoke, fairly strong too. Tonight was another new cigar, Pete Johnson's newest cigar, the Ambos Mundos, I chose the Sumatra wrapped toro. This was a bit of a letdown, the cigar burned impeccably and the draw was dead on, but the flavor seemed to fall short of what I expect from a PJ creation...not bad, but not entirely memorable.
  • Options
    bbc020bbc020 Posts: 1,422
    i smoked a DPG Vegas Cubanas toro today that came via the picture contest during christmas time from Maddy. Very nice spicy stick that mellowed and revealed nice sweetness to it.

tonight I'm finishing a Oliva Master Blends II robusto that I picked up when they became available again on c.com. What a tremendous smoke. Maybe my favorite Sumatra wrapped cigar I've ever had. Makes me want to pick up more while they are still available.
  • Options
    Isn't the MB2 something Brandon? I picked some up on auction about a week and a half ago, smoked my first one Monday, and wow, it was awesome. I'd have to smoke it side by side with the MB3, but I think I may have liked the MB2 more.
  • Options
    plaidbanana1plaidbanana1 Posts: 187
    Thats it, Im making Urbi my personal cigar advisor. Apparently we have the exact same taste in cigars. I had an A. Fuente Hemmingway Short Story tonight and this thing was awesome. The only stick that i didn't like that ive seen him suggest was the H. Upmann, and I was sick when I tried to smoke it, so that doesn't count. I think I'll smoke another Hemmingway RIGHT NOW. By the way Urbi, which La Cuna Bin is it that you like?
  • Options
    I think in the last couple months the cameroon wrapper has become my favorite. Never would have guessed when I first started smoking cigars.
  • Options
    bbc020bbc020 Posts: 1,422
    j0z3r:
    Isn't the MB2 something Brandon? I picked some up on auction about a week and a half ago, smoked my first one Monday, and wow, it was awesome. I'd have to smoke it side by side with the MB3, but I think I may have liked the MB2 more.

I really enjoyed the MB2 last night, but I really enjoyed the MB3 the couple times I've smoked it. It was funny how I went into smoking the MB2 expecting something like the MB3 and it wasn't totally different but enough to recognize. I had no clue that the MB2 had a Sumatran wrapper. I thought looking at it before I smoked it that it looked unlike other Habanos, yet was gorgeous. Then about 1/2" in I knew it wasn't a cuban seeded wrapper, I verified that it was a ecuadorian sumatran wrapper. The difference for me between MB2 and MB3 is different levels of similar but not spot on flavor profiles. They both have some spice, but the MB2 spice seemed a bit more refined. They both have some sweetness to them, but again, the MB2 seemed a bit more refined in that area. They both have some earthy/woodsy flavor to them, but the MB2 was a bit more complex in this nature. I love the MB3, and it fits my ideal flavor profile as a go to stick. The MB2 was equally good with similar qualities, yet different enough. Tough to choose, it's prolly a mood thing for me.

I am yet to try the MB1, I have a couple to try soon.
  • Options
    rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    phobicsquirrel:
    Wheelie, really? The draw on the fury I had was good. I had another green dragon tonight and enjoyed it once again. Both of these are good cigars in my book.
    Did you find that they both taste kind of similar? I'm thinkin they are closely related if not the same blend just different sizes.
  • Options
    Personally, I'm a medium to full-bodied enthusiast. However, I have recently discovered a new found love for ACID Opulence 3. Now, hang on a minute - I can hear all of you traditionalists running for the hills, but hear me out. I've been enjoying some strong cigars all week, as usual. Morning, noon, and night I've pleased my palate with some thick, hearty Fuentes, Man O' War Ruination (excellent blend) and I even slipped in some Habanos (that will remain nameless) a friend of mine gave me. So, after spending some time discussing this new blend, I had to try it and let me tell you, that cigar is excellent. More so, I found it to be a great end of day cigar since its mild to medium in body and offers those sweet flavors you would expect from an ACID cigar, but in a tamer way. The finish includes earthy notes and a traditional tobacco flavor, which was very welcoming while its sweet character remained somewhat light. So, after killing my palate all day with strong, spicy flavors I found Opulence 3 to be a great change at the end of the day. I challenge all of you who don't prefer the ACID line, especially you full-bodied enthusiasts, to try this one after a day full of Habanos, maduros, and those sticks stuffed with ligeros - it is simply the perfect "bed-time" cigar. Of course, this is only my humble opinion. Thoughts?
  • Options
    gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    I have read about it and thought I would probably like it. I smoke a lot of maduro's but still enjoy the DE Java and Tabak Especial, is it similar in any way to the Tabak ?
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    rwheelwright:
    phobicsquirrel:
    Wheelie, really? The draw on the fury I had was good. I had another green dragon tonight and enjoyed it once again. Both of these are good cigars in my book.
    Did you find that they both taste kind of similar? I'm thinkin they are closely related if not the same blend just different sizes.
    I did notice they had similair tastes but I thought the green dragon was a bit more creamy. The Gurkha Green Dragon is a full-bodied blend of Central American tobaccos with a Cameroon wrapper. Each cigar is aged for five years
    Fury has Connecticut Maduro wrapper, Nicaraguan, Cameroon binder, Nicaraguan, Peruvian filler...
  • Options
    Had a DE Java Toro Maduro early today...storming like a son of a gun right now so may be all for the night unless I decide to go down in the man-cave. Speaking of the nasty weather I know some of you guys were in the path of these storms , so give us a shout out and let us know you made it thru ok. 'Bino you had some REALLY nasty stuff your direction...you ok 'bro???
  • Options
    alienmisprintalienmisprint Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭
    Started the day off with a RP Signature toro, then around lunch had a CAO Black. I love the Signature, one of my favorite sticks. This was the first CAO Black I have smoked though, and I found it pretty enjoyable as well. Good day so far.
  • Options
    Yesterday I had a Romeo y Julieta Reserva Real churchill, that was an awesome cigar, I think it is my favorite size of the blend, I must have been smoking that cigar for a solid 2 hours. A while after that was an Illusione corona, the flavor kinda fell short of what I was hoping for, it was good just not that good, I'll explore some of the other sizes and hopefully find one I like better than that.
  • Options
    laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    It's my birthday, so this morning I had a Cohiba sent to me from Pheebs. I already had smoked the one from Duty and this one was a Corona. Like the first one from Duty... this one rocked. These are a nice med. smoke with lots of flavor and changes in flavor profile all the way thru.
    Then shortly after that my son presented me with a Nub 460 Connie and we sat and enjoyed a second stick before he went to work.
    Now the wife and daughter have gone shopping and I am left to the house all by myself. All in all a great day shaping up so far.
    Might have to finish it all of with that Padron 1926 Anniversary sticks which Pheebs also sent me. Can't think of a better way to do it.
    Well maybe that Opus X Dep sent me...hmmmm 3 sticks in one day is a lot for me but you know it's early. I may just be able to pull off a four stick day !
  • Options
    Happy Birthday Laker. Seems like you know how to celebrate. Multiple cigars and alone time would do it for me :-)

I had a Gurkha Dragon Fire. The first 1/3 was really good. After that it went downhill. The burn was spot on but the flavor was pretty bland. It did go out on my near the end which sucked but we'll see if age does this any good. My guess is no since it was bland. I may try and smoke a second today. Maybe a Fuente Candela or a Oliva Series S.
  • Options
    laker1963:
    It's my birthday, so this morning I had a Cohiba sent to me from Pheebs. I already had smoked the one from Duty and this one was a Corona. Like the first one from Duty... this one rocked. These are a nice med. smoke with lots of flavor and changes in flavor profile all the way thru.
    Then shortly after that my son presented me with a Nub 460 Connie and we sat and enjoyed a second stick before he went to work.
    Now the wife and daughter have gone shopping and I am left to the house all by myself. All in all a great day shaping up so far.
    Might have to finish it all of with that Padron 1926 Anniversary sticks which Pheebs also sent me. Can't think of a better way to do it.
    Well maybe that Opus X Dep sent me...hmmmm 3 sticks in one day is a lot for me but you know it's early. I may just be able to pull off a four stick day !
    cool, Happy Bday laker!

Wheelie, yeah the fire was the same for me, sort of went south near the end. Truth be told I rarely if ever smoke till the nub, usually I leave 2 inches or so.. maybe a little less.
  • Options
    laker1963:

Say its your birthday.....Happy birthday to ya ....
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    wait on the Opus. smoke it when you have a clean palate. you will love it even more then.
  • Options
    VidarienVidarien Posts: 246
    I stopped at a local B&M that just opened and got myself an Oliva V torpedo and a cusano MC corona (Fan of the celebrity series).

So regarding the Oliva V....smoking big time ligero cigars while on a diet and eating light....is always an amusing experience. I had just finished smoking it (and it was pleasant) when I went to eat dinner, and i was just hunched over the plate in a daze eating and I had no idea why. I dont seem to get sick by going heavy and eating light, but man oh man do i enter a different world.

As for the cusano, that was a nice little treat as well. The only cusano celebrity series cigar i havent had yet is the P1, which i intend to try soon, but for the price....those are some fantastically made knockoffs of the macanudo/montecristo/partagas regulars. In fact, i think they have an even better flavor the the originals. They dont necessarily offer a uniqueness or develop a changing taste profile, but the profile they do offer is excellent.
  • Options
    I burned myself out a bit today. Started with a Fuente 8-5-8 and had an Oliva G maduro robusto on its heels. A bit later was a Cruzado robusto, decent smoke. Shortly after the Cruzado, and when I noticed the burn out, was a Famous 70th Anniversary Padron, which I think is based on the 1964 blend...anyhow, I must have been burned out because I could barely pick up anything from this cigar...oh well, I'm usually a bit more prudent about the time I take between smokes, today I wasn't and that's what happens. Always next time I guess.
  • Options
    laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    kuzi16:
    wait on the Opus. smoke it when you have a clean palate. you will love it even more then.

LMAO. That is EXACTLY what I finally decided. Figured I have had a couple of negative comments on the couple of Opus X's I have had and that this one deserved a clean palate and the proper atmosphere in order to get everything it has to offer. Thanks Kuzi.
  • Options
    man, I was hoping to hear some good things about that padron...

I had a GURKHA MARQUEZA around the fire tonight. A great cigar and I'm glad since I bought a box.
  • Options
    Vidarien:
    I stopped at a local B&M that just opened and got myself an Oliva V torpedo and a cusano MC corona (Fan of the celebrity series).

So regarding the Oliva V....smoking big time ligero cigars while on a diet and eating light....is always an amusing experience. I had just finished smoking it (and it was pleasant) when I went to eat dinner, and i was just hunched over the plate in a daze eating and I had no idea why. I dont seem to get sick by going heavy and eating light, but man oh man do i enter a different world.

As for the cusano, that was a nice little treat as well. The only cusano celebrity series cigar i havent had yet is the P1, which i intend to try soon, but for the price....those are some fantastically made knockoffs of the macanudo/montecristo/partagas regulars. In fact, i think they have an even better flavor the the originals. They dont necessarily offer a uniqueness or develop a changing taste profile, but the profile they do offer is excellent.
    Sorry to hear about the dizzy-ness. I really don't get that too often. I smoke usually when I get off work so I'm sort of hungry but not starving and I haven't had any issues as of yet. I've smoked some hefty cigars too. I guess it just hit's at strange times. I got my ass kicked from a mild smoke before, which is funny because I've never got beat up by a full bodied. I guess it's that I smoke them slower or something.
  • Options
    smokestersmokester Posts: 131
    Had a Edge Lite in the churchill length and a perdomo habano both while playing poker and both were excellent and good luck charms if i must say.
  • Options
    laker1963:
    Happy birthday laker. I'll have a La Aurora Saphire in your honor. I've only had one before, but damn it was good.
  • Options
    My Saphire had a tough draw, but it tasted great. Everyone should try at least one.
  • Options
    alienmisprintalienmisprint Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭
    Happy birthday Laker!

Yesterday was a good day, had a Regent in the morning and a Decade Torpedo in the early afternoon. The Regent was great, I realy dig those sticks. This Decade was even better than the Robusto, an excellent smoke.

This morning I went out and had a Chateau Real Conn. It was okay, not bad by any means, but nothing really special either.
  • Options
    Had a Fuente Candela last night. It tasted similar to other cigars I have had. I would say some mocha and coffee but the smell was different. Almost grassy. It's hard to tell when you are smoking but if you put it down and just smell the smoke for a little then you will notice it. Now, I think this was my first candela not including Garcia Vegas. The burn was spot on and the draw was great.
  • Options
    Had a Graycliff 1666 this evening ...my first. Construction very good, burn spot on. Lottsa smoke. Flavor I thought would be more pronounced however picked up some nice leather, very mild spice, some earthy undertones thruout and a little bit of espresso/dark chocolate...just enough to make you want more of these flavors. The best way to describe this stick is it was a tease....waited on flavors to become more evident but it never happened. I would smoke this cigar again because overall it was good but I would wait till I found them on sale as well.