Home General Discussion
Options

Whatcha smokin tonight?

Comments

• Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    Okay so stop the presses, the squirrel had himself the elusive Olivia V maduro and WOW, I really liked this cigar. The only thing about it is, after about the half way point it got rather harsh. I mean it was a cross between a cigar that is just about to go out to no more fire. then it stopped that and became more like how it started. But then back to how it tasted after the half way point. I wonder if it's just that it hasn't been rested well enough? Anyone know what I'm talking about, had a similar experience?
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    I had a 5 Vegas Limitada 2006 today, I think this is my favorite of the Limitadas. It has such a great flavor, perfect burn and good draw. I sure am glad I got some before they were all gone.
  • Options
    PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    I had my first Man of War last night. It was a robusto and took about an hour and a half to smoke. The draw was great, the burn had a couple issues that required a touch up with the lighter, but the flavor was pretty good. It was a pretty strong smoke but not overwhelming in the flavor department, but not a bad smoke at all. I have one more in the humi that I will probably let rest for another few months but if it isn't remarkably better I doubt I'll be rushing out to get anymore of these.
  • Options
    bbc020bbc020 Posts: 1,422
    Yesterday was a two smoke day for me. I was on the road all day and got in two sticks that I hadn't tried before. First was an AVO Signature Robusto. This cigar was definitely the fullest AVO I've had. Still had the classic feel of an AVO with the distict subtle mineral like flavors, but carried with it a bit of spice and almost a nutty sweetness past the half way point. There was a lot going on with this cigar, and while it didn't blow me out of the car seat with full bodied richness, it was definitely a full flavored good medium-full bodied stick that kept me interested. I will have to get a few more of these.

As I usually do when I'm on the road for the day, I hit up a B&M I'd never been to. While there I picked up a handful of sticks, including a Casa Magna Robusto. This thing was built like a brick chit house. Solid the whole way and the draw was a bit tight in my taste. Nevertheless it produce ample smoke from the start and was a full bodied smoke no doubt. I enjoyed the smoke but could tell that it had been somewhat over-humidified. Burn was consistently slower on one side and it was enough of an issue that I think it hindered the overall flavor of the stick. I picked up on some nice rich flavors and an underlying sweetness to it, but really think it could have been a better experience. I picked up another to rest and we'll see how they smoke at a more comfortable RH.
  • Options
    3 Stripes3 Stripes Posts: 25
    Last night I smoked a CAO Brazillia Gol. It was a great smoke, the draw was perfect, gave out plenty of smoke. The only issue was one side was burning quicker but I will blame it on the wind last night. It was the first Brazillia I had and will have another soon I am sure.
  • Options
    rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    phobicsquirrel:
    Okay so stop the presses, the squirrel had himself the elusive Olivia V maduro and WOW, I really liked this cigar. The only thing about it is, after about the half way point it got rather harsh. I mean it was a cross between a cigar that is just about to go out to no more fire. then it stopped that and became more like how it started. But then back to how it tasted after the half way point. I wonder if it's just that it hasn't been rested well enough? Anyone know what I'm talking about, had a similar experience?
    I've only had them since the end of January so yeah it might need more age. I haven't had one since. Waiting. I did like the regular V a lot.
  • Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    phobicsquirrel:
    I've had that happen before as well, and if you relight it just gets harsher.. I quess it is a game of chance with any stick..I don't think rest has anything to do with it in that case.. maybe it had a "plug" that slowed it down, and working through it caused the harsh burn
  • Options
    FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Posts: 2,555
    I had a Nub CT 354 yesterday. I smoked it for about 40 minutes a little bit of a fast smoke and a little bit of a fast pace. It was very flavorful for a light body cigar. Enjoyed it, and am stoked that the warmer weather is here.
  • Options
    kaspera79:
    phobicsquirrel:
    I've had that happen before as well, and if you relight it just gets harsher.. I quess it is a game of chance with any stick..I don't think rest has anything to do with it in that case.. maybe it had a "plug" that slowed it down, and working through it caused the harsh burn
    interesting... thanks kas.
  • Options
    FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Posts: 2,555
    I had a Nub CT 354 yesterday. I smoked it for about 40 minutes a little bit of a fast smoke and a little bit of a fast pace. It was very flavorful for a light body cigar. Enjoyed it, and am stoked that the warmer weather is here.

I fogot to add in my 1st post that this cigar had a major construction flaw.
    The wrapper right above and through the band was bunched up/wrinkled. It looked like the wrapper wasnt stretched properly when it was being rolled. Im surprised that this made it through any quality process. It did and didn affect my smoke on it. When I got to that point in the cigar I snubbed it out as I didnt want to have to deal with the burn issues I thought I was about to have from this wrapper problem.
  • Options
    I started today with a 5 Vegas Gold Torpedo which I just got. Nice cigar. One of the few connie wrappers I like. I have more so some age will do them good. I think this one was a little moist but it still tasted good. Second, I had a Gurkha Green Dragon courtesy of mr feebs. The draw was tight and the burn required 3 touch ups but this cigar had some flavor. I have one left and am hoping that some age does the draw some good. Smoked both to the nubs. Actually the Green Gragon reminded me of a CAO Gold. My friend had one and I took a few puffs. Tasted similar but the Dragon had a lot more taste to it. My friend also gave me a CAO MX2 which I have never had before. Let's see what this one is all about.
  • Options
    A long time ago I saw the movie Papillion where Steve Mc Queen shared a cigar with a guy that had Leprosy. I will never share a cigar, that scene was BURNED in my brain at the age of twelve..
  • Options
    LukoLuko Posts: 2,003 ✭✭
    kaspera79:
    A long time ago I saw the movie Papillion where Steve Mc Queen shared a cigar with a guy that had Leprosy. I will never share a cigar, that scene was BURNED in my brain at the age of twelve..
    Ha...good call. That was a good movie, and I remember that scene. I probably won't share a cigar now either. Although at this point, I'm more worried about hepatitis or something like that.
  • Options
    gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    3rd day/night in a row with nothin' ...at least my palate should be rested...
  • Options
    gmill880:
    do you have the shakes?
  • Options
    phobicsquirrel:
    gmill880:
    do you have the shakes?

Have to wear my shoes until ready to jump in the bed to keep from chewin' my toenails off ....and I swear I hear voices ....ROFL
  • Options
    ha
  • Options
    alienmisprintalienmisprint Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭
    Well, I just got back home today from NC. I actually kept track of everything I smoked while I was home, here it is:

Rocky Patel Vintage 1992 - good smoke, not as big of a fan as everyone else seems to be
    La Aurora 1495 - kind of a let down, I was expecting alot more
    Gurkha Turk - excellent mild stick, better than the Symphony
    Cusano Rare 59 Cameroon - eh
    5 Vegas Gold - awesome as always
    Tabak Especial Negra - great as usual
    CAO MX2 - still one of my favorite cigars, excellent maduro
    Romeo and Juliet Reserve Maduro - another awesome maduro
    Bolivar Cofradia - I was very suprised at how much I liked this stick
    5 Vegas Limitada 2008 - yet another stick I really like from 5 Vegas
    La Aurora Barrel Aged - one of my favorite cigars, hands down
    Gurkha Rare Breed (CT and Maduro) - both were good, but I do prefer the CT
    AF Hemmingway (Short Story and Signature) - excellent smokes
    Gurkha Regent - another standby that never dissapoints
    Onyx Reserve Vitage 1997 - excellent stick, very smooth and mellow with alot of flavor
    La Vieja Habana Corojo - great budget stick
    CAO Brazilia - interesting flavor, jury is still out
    and finally, Gurkha Shaggy - a new favorite, I really dig these
  • Options
    VidarienVidarien Posts: 246
    I had a 5 vegas A and a miami today. Its strange, but, i find myself more and more lately levitating over to the miami, and thats wierd considering the vegas A is/was my go-to stick. Maybe its these apocalypse sized sticks that have driven me off a little, i dont know. But i do know this, im gaining a stronger appreciation for don pepin and his blend, because the vegas miami is beginning to win a place in my heart. Or maybe my taste buds are changing, i dont know...but i do know im enjoying the vegas miami a LOT these days as opposed to when i first smoked them.
  • Options
    alienmisprint:
    Well, I just got back home today from NC. I actually kept track of everything I smoked while I was home, here it is:

Rocky Patel Vintage 1992 - good smoke, not as big of a fan as everyone else seems to be
    Onyx Reserve Vitage 1997 - excellent stick, very smooth and mellow with alot of flavor

Holy Smokes Tony - sounds like a good time
  • Options
    Matt MarvelMatt Marvel Posts: 930
    I ordered the Padilla Habano bundle ccom was offering as a one day deal. So I'm enjoying one with a cup of coffee, and watching the Masters. Not a bad smoke at all, and great way to start my day.
  • Options
    Anybody had any experience with the AJ Fernandez offered in the weekend blitz deal?
  • Options
    Vidarien:
    I had a 5 vegas A and a miami today. Its strange, but, i find myself more and more lately levitating over to the miami, and thats wierd considering the vegas A is/was my go-to stick. Maybe its these apocalypse sized sticks that have driven me off a little, i dont know. But i do know this, im gaining a stronger appreciation for don pepin and his blend, because the vegas miami is beginning to win a place in my heart. Or maybe my taste buds are changing, i dont know...but i do know im enjoying the vegas miami a LOT these days as opposed to when i first smoked them.
    I really dig the Miami too, I need to pick up some more of those.

gmill880:
    alienmisprint:

Holy Smokes Tony - sounds like a good time
    Yeah Gene, it was a great two weeks. Alot of those were cigars I had already had, but a few were new to me. The Gurkha Shaggy was a definite suprise, I really really dig that stick. Now I have to try and find them around here somewhere, lol.

Had a Padron last night, as always a very good smoke. Then this morning I smoked a 5 Vegas Gold, great way to start the day. All in all, a great way to end my vacation.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    nothing today, but welcome to page 300.
  • Options
    Joel_H.Joel_H. Posts: 101
    tonight was another nub night this time it was a habano. Sucks i have a head cold so that greatly affected the flavor and all, its was a good smoke from what i could tell im sure i will order more in the near future.
  • Options
    well ...made up for the slow cigar week with a 3 smoke day. 1st was a Java Maduro Robusto this morning, 2nd was a Nub Cameroon torp, and finished with a R&J Viejo ...enjoyed all immensley ....life is good ...
  • Options
    Today was a Gurkha Expedition.. Since this cigar comes wrapped with a Cedar sleeve, the prominent flavor was woody/cedar. It started mild but increased in strength, as it was smoked. The ash was firm and almost white, burn was even . Other flavors were nutty, a bit of spice in the throat and there was a salty taste to it as well (odd). It seemed to burn quickly and the wrapper came undone halfway through, but neither of these slight faults would stop me from smoking another.. A nice inexpensive cigar.
  • Options
    2 Cigar day again for me. Started with a RP R4. It was pretty nice. Not great but I would smoke again. Then moved on to the Gurkha Dragon Fury. This one was extremely firm with a semi tight draw. Actually felt heavy to carry. It was very similar to the Green Dragon I had last night.
  • Options
    Wheelie, really? The draw on the fury I had was good. I had another green dragon tonight and enjoyed it once again. Both of these are good cigars in my book.
  • Options
    Just finished a Perdomo ESV courtesy of Zoomer. Excellent stick, very good flavor and perfect construction, yet another cigar I have to add to my rotation.